Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by CrusaderDad:
It seems if you pay a lot of money and go to some of their camps, you make the Baseball Factory list. Not sure of how others are selected.

Our son received a letter from Baseball Factory saying that he was selected as a "Puma Pre-Season All American", and for fee he could attend the tournament. It was not in our price range, so we declined. I suppose that means that he is no longer a "Puma Pre-Season All American", but we'll get over it. I don't know what the criteria for selection is. I am sure that Baseball Factory serves a purpose for those that can afford it, but we're not ones who can.
RedBird I was going to say the same thing a couple of days ago but decided to just let it go. Now that you have broken the ice I might as well add my 2Cents worth. I know a kid that made the list and didn't make all conference last year. I was shocked when I picked up the paper and saw where he was named a High School All American last year. I went to a camp a couple of weeks ago and saw an 07 pitcher throw a bull pen. I asked one of the UNC players who he was and he said it was his cousin. Kid as a rising Soph 6'3 190 Righty 94 on the gun effortless fluid delivery with a 12-6 curve and nasty change up. On no ones list right now but will be soon. I saw the Baseball America top player lists last week. One of the players listed as the top player in his age group I saw play in an AAU tourney a year ago. His team traveled down here to play a couple of tourneys. His team got run ruled three out of four games. He was average at best at his posistion and could not have made our team. Take it for whats its worth.
If your son is on an AA list--cut it out and put it in a scrap book. It'll be worth a lot
of bragging points 20 years from now.

A consensus #1 pre-season player in the country last year from Central Florida wasn't even the best player on his HS team. His teammate was "Central Florida Player of the Year" and
did not make any HS All-American team (1st, 2nd., 3rd or Honorable Mention). Batted .490 with
11 HR's and 38 RBI's in 28 games. Also, a top pitcher.

This goes on all the time-Just smile and move on.
I wasn't even going to look at the list because I knew it was going to urk me, but I had to anyway. There's a kid on there (Puma list) that has never played varsity baseball and has only played legion ball in the summer.

There's others on the list that but I'll stop here.

Oh well. Money talks. It is really sad where this has all gone. Really sad.
Last edited by CanesFan5
JMO

From my observation most of the nominees on All-Star teams are legitimately good players, but there are a lot of "political picks" that get a lot of "print" and "pubs" when they finally reach the college level are not very "competitive".

I take all the accolades I read about pitchers and their supposedly "great press" with a grain-of-salt. Much of what is "pushed" is grist to get the kid a scholarship, which happens a lot and then they end up blowing back to the JC or JUCO level cause they find out that throwing at 90+ doesn't buy you a thing if you don't know how to pitch.

We saw some of those last year, All-this and All-that, but didn't carry any different ERA's then those who earned it the hard way.

But there are also legitimate players that deserve everything they have worked for and I have a lot of respect for those players

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.