Skip to main content

Remember I said something about the highs and the lows.....well after such a great week-end on the road the team was hit hard by probable food poisoning. Throwing up on the plane, 4 of the boys (and the trainer) had to be hospitalized in Salt Lake City. About 15 of the players have it now. For some reason my son did not get sick. Hopefully they all recover quickly. Kind of feel sorry for the other passengers on the flight!

Infield- now that you mention it I do remember Beau Bridges in that movie. (Are we old??)
PUHD, .111 who cares.... it is early season. the only time to worry about the batting avg is at the end of the season.

your player is evaluated each and every time he plays. i guarantee you that if your son goes 4-4 tomorrow with a hr and a double no one will discount him because he is currently batting .111

please tell your son to forget about the avg, clear his mind and battle each and every at bat ... worryfree...

pm me, i have a cd you should get for your son.
For the first time in a couple of years our son has actually got to play the game he loves. This spring so far he has put up staggering numbers in JUCO baseball hit .514 with 16 HR's and 47 RBI's through 21 games. I am very proud as a parent to see him perform at this level but more proud of the work he has had to put in Academically to get this opportunity. After transferring from a D1 school and having to sit out at another D1 due to transfer rules he became academically ineligible to play at that school. He has worked hard on grades just to get chance to further his baseball dreams and for that I am a very proud.
My team has only completed 7 games so far due to some inclement weather. We have 4 games coming up this weekend and another 5 over the course of the next week so we will certainly be getting moving so far.

We are currently 7 and 0, and have outscored our opponents 65-27 over our first 7 games. Our team batting average is .363, team ERA is 3.20 (versus .210/8.84 for opponents). Our ace was the only pitcher to have 2 starts thus far, and is 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA, 13 IP, 26 K/2 BB/6 hits.

I have thrown 5 1/3 IP and have given up 1 ER, 5 H, 2 BB and 5 K.

We are very excited for this coming weekend as team and hopefully we can keep up the solid play.

Anyone else with any other updates?
quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
Very Nice '44!

Love to see those Grannys!

We have not seen one of those this year but my guy has settled in to be at around .425 for the past 10 games or so. He has 9 2B, 5 3B, and 5 HR so far. Hopefully he can build from here. Hard to believe that there are only 17 games left to our regular season...

Ummm....You can add 2 more HR to Floridafan's sons total for the year. He hit 2 more today as they demolished another conference foe - 17-2. Surely Top schools or the MLB scouts have to be watering at the mouth over this kid!

Looks like Younggunson gets his first start of the season this Saturday against Chattanooga State. He's missed the first 4 starts of the season nursing some shoulder soreness. I could hear a little giddy-up in his voice today....finally!
Last edited by YoungGunDad
Son had a great week and weekend. Pitched 3 games in relief for a total of 9 innings giving up 2 hits, 0 runs, with 11 strikeouts and no walks. I know it will probably be tough for him to repeat such a performance but it nice to be able to string together a few good games.

Best part after all of those games was that he was named the Atlantic Sun Pitcher of the Week!!

http://www.atlanticsun.org/baseball/news/106/4289/
quote:
Originally posted by Still Learning:
I am happy to report that our Tigers Won their First Series against Rice this weekend!

Plus Tigers earned recognition as both Conference USA Hitter of the Week and Pitcher of the Week 3/22 and Pitcher of the Week 3/29.

Good things are happening here!!

Still Learning that is awesome! I have followed Jonathan all these years and he is having the time of his life! Good things happen to good people!
17's team is doing extremely well. They are ranked 4th DII. Record is 32-5, 13-0 in conference play and have won 20 in a row.

17 took a foul tip shot off the face mask 2 weeks ago, after an earlier bell ringer 2 weeks before that. He was diagnosed with a minor concussion the second time as he got a little nauseous after running the bases the inning after the foul tip. He has been rehabbing and will be cleared Monday to return to full play. The trainers took him through stages on his way back, hitting one day, throwing next, catching bullpens next, and full practice. Each stage they monitor how he is feeling the day after.

He is also switching catching helmets. He was using a 4 yr old Allstar hockey mask he had used all through high school. Now he is going to use the college provided skull cap and mask combination, and is required to wear a mouthguard while catching. His high school district required mouthguards all 4 years of his varsity play and he never complained once about being hit in the mask. And yes he caught 3-4 90 plus pitchers all through highschool.

I am really pleased with the caution the training staff has taken on his return. Baseball is a marathon and not a sprint and rushing back with a concussion makes no sense at this stage as a freshman. Too much baseball left in the future.

I have enjoyed reading all your updates and continue to enjoy the message board.
Hey Backstop,

Sounds like your son is at U. Tampa. Glad to hear that your son is going to be fine. That is tough to take a shot like that. It is amazing the guts that it takes to be a catcher. Looks like Tampa is having an awesome season!

My guy pitched 6 innings today giving up 1 unearned run and hitting a grand slam. He even got the win!

Great day in sunny Florida!
Last edited by floridafan
Congrats to a HUGE day for Floridafan's son! Wow! Talk about having a day....

After over a month of physical therapy and finally getting back on the bump youngson got to toe the rubber in relief in the 2nd game of a DH. Came in with bases loaded in the 3rd for the starter. Struck out 2, had 1 hit. He said his arm/shoulder had never felt stronger which was what I wanted to hear.

For some reason the coach only let him pitch 1 inning. I'm sure he had his reasons, afterall, he is the coach. Youngson was just happy to get back in the action even though they got swept.
Wow Floridafan! That's Awesome! Congrats YGD what a relief it is to see him return to the mound, 08jr great outing, and all the rest of the HSBW folks .

Like CaBB said "Always good to hear "our kids" are doing well."

Tigers won their second consecutive Conference USA series, on the road this weekend. First time winning a conference series on the road since 2007 and first time winning two in a row since 2007. Also tied some team records for home runs and consective hits in a game. Things are continuing to look up!
quote:
Originally posted by ILVBB:
My guy had a pretty decent weekend; 6-10, with 2HR's a 2b and 8 rbi's.

However, I am looking forward to his next game. His next hit will be his 200th collegiate hit; which I think is really something to be proud of.

I'd say he had a Pretty Decent weekend! And indeed, 200 hits is something to be very proud of...Congratulations!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.