Skip to main content

I'm a 2012 grad and I've done my hw in looking for schools and have sent letters/emails/calls to numerous colleges in my area as well as some regional schools. No replies. They don't answer their phones, don't respond to emails, and the only mail I'll receive back, if any, is a stupid camp brochure. I am a corner infielder, number 1 position is 3B. I also pitch and can play corner OF. If anyone knows of a school who is specifically looking for a corner infielder or a utility guy for the hs class of 2012 could u please pm me? Its getting late in the game and everything I've done, hours and hours of work, seem to come up empty handed. If you can tell me who's interested in what I offer I can contact them and they'll probably be more likely to respond and we can go from there. D1, D2, NAIA, or JUCO preferably not D3. Also, I'm not ivy league or Stanford in the classroom, but I have an average GPA.

Thank you! If you can help that would be great!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
it doesn't matter where it is, as long as their looking for what I play

Why not a D3? You have just eliminated nearly 1/2 of the schools in the country?

Also, you did not qualify what you can afford. Can you fund your education?

Most of all; what do you want to study? I don't have a clue what average GPA is where you are; but I do know that good students, with good test scores can find a place to play.
Weighted GPA is a 3.0 with honors and ap. I have 4 possible majors, 1 of which is a major that I've found almost every school in the nation has. Yes, I can fund whatever is left to pay for. I said no D3 because I figure d1, d2, NAIA would be my goal, and I can go to a jc and try to get that if that doesn't work out the 1st time. I could always go d3 after jc anyway.

Thanks
quote:
I could always go d3 after jc anyway.

northwest, This might sound a bit harsh, but your post sounds a little arrogant for someone who has yet to make a play in a college game.
From a non-baseball side, transferring to a d3 after a JC probably involves the loss of enough units and credits to require at least a 5th year of college.
While this has been said many times on this site, probably mostly by me, if DI, DII, NAIA and JC coaches are not responding to all the communications you appear to be sending, it could be one of 2 things:
1.) They don't know anything about you and you need to respond to the "stupid camp brochures" and get exposure and/or get in front of them at their "stupid" camps or elsewhere to prove you can play, or;
2.) They do know who you are and their silence suggests they don't feel you have the skills and projection to make and contribute and add to their program.
Before you rule out d3, for what ever reason(although the implications are pretty clear in your posts), why not take a trip to Linfield and see if you have the talent and ability to play for Coach Brosius. His team will play about anyone, can beat many mid/lower level DI's and DII's and have proven they can stay on the same field with some like Lewis-Clarke State, one of the very best NAIA programs, for instance.
Last edited by infielddad
quote:
Before you rule out d3, for what ever reason(although the implications are pretty clear in your posts), why not take a trip to Linfield and see if you have the talent and ability to play for Coach Brosius.

You obviously can type faster than me as I was thinking the same thoughts infielddad

Scott Brosius has won multiple World Series rings with the NY Yankees and no one ever accused him of not playing the game the right way. Learning from a guy like that would be invaluable. Better yet, he has turned that program into a national power who are annual contenders for a national championship. It would probably take all your powers and then some to get on the field at a program like that.
northwest,

My son is a 2012 also and we are looking at any college level. Just like you we sent out emails to coaches and got the camp emails etc, but we hit up every type of school imaginable. The Ask about College section on here really helps because you hear about schools you never heard of or just didnt think about.

My question is have you ever done a showcase? That way you could have an evaluation or stats to send to the coaches. Did you play on a travel team this summer? You still have this fall to make it to a showcase or play in some scouted tournaments. You have to keep knocking on doors until someone answers. Like I tell my son, all you need is one program to like you. Good Luck
U guys are taking this the wrong way and I probably wasn't clear in what I was saying. D3's don't offer athletic scholarships. At any other level I could get some athletic aid to help cover college. Yes, I can cover the cost, BUT d3's tend to be expensive private schools, which Linfield happens to be. My GPA won't get me merit aid. Therefor I will need to pay for 100 percent of a private school tuition for 4 years. I could go to a JUCO and cut that in half. That's all I'm saying about d3's. At any other level I could get some scholarship money and cut the cost down a little.
Now that we have "the facts" it is time to get real.

You don't beleive that you can or will receive merit aid; I stongly suggest that is not the case. You need to start looking at schools where you either are different from 98% or their applicants or alternatively where your GPA/test scores hit their sweet spot.

Also, if you parents haven't already done so, you need to file your FAFSA. If you don't know what your expected family contribution is you won't know what you might expect in terms of aid.

I am glad that you are open to all levels of baseball. You need to start focusing on what you want from your college education.

What do you want to study?
What kind of school do you want?
Geographically, what is appealing?
If baseball doesn't work out what will make the school a great place for you to grow?

We are in CA; my youngest went to a small private school (D3) in VA. His GPA was a little lower than yours and his test scores were a little lower as well. The school in VA gave him a Merit Grant of $12K and a Trustees Grant of $10K (becuase they wanted geographic diversity). This effectively dropped the cost to a little over $10K per year, which was far cheaper than if he had attended a state university.

Now the real work begins, you need to start doing your homework. Sit down at your computer and start researching schools. Use tools like collegeboard.org to find schools where your academic profile fits. Look at their websites and start making a list of prospect schools. If you do it right you can find hundreds of schools where "you can stand out."

With a good list; follow the advice that permiates this website. Write coaches, visit schools, attend events, follow-up with those that do the recruiting. If you wait for some magic to appear on your door step you may be out of luck.
Last edited by ILVBB
I'd like offer a couple things to this thread.
1. 23 ACT isn't bad. Ihtink you may have at least 3 more opportunities to take it before Feb. 2012. My son went from a 24 to a 28 aftert taking it 4 times. This made a huge differecne in academic money.
2. As far as athletic scholarship money. I can only speak from our experiences. The NAIA schools we strongly considered were offering between 2500-4500 per year. Not a whole lot considering the cost per year is at the schools we looked at were at least 28k per year.

My son was also willing to go anywhere and play at any level. But in reality his decision came down to how he felt about the school if he didn't play baseball and his impression of the coach.

I'd also recommend start researching any and all outside scholarship opportunities. You'd be amazaed how fast these can add up. The money is out there but you find you need to invest a lot of time in applications and essays.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.