Skip to main content

roothog66 posted:

Nice balmy 82 degrees for our start time. We play Friday. Of course, snow is in the forecast. Last night, though, my 2018 got the no-hitter. A five inning, run rule affair, but, nevertheless goes in the books as a no-no. 13 K's, no walks. He did hit three batters. Only one batter put a ball in play - a line drive to F3 (the other out was a caught stealing by one of the HBP's). On the season now he has 21.2 ip, has given up ZERO hits, K'd 55, walked 13 and has an era of 0.32 (he gave up an earned run in his first appearance of the year when he hit a batter with two outs and then walked the next three). 

It really only hit me last night that he will only likely have one more regular season start and that senior season will be over in just about a month. 

Congrats on that outstanding stat line - especially ZERO hits allowed. 

trojan-skipper posted:

sheesh... 21.2 innings and 0 hits.... that's freakishly good

Puts it on the line tomorrow against our conference rivals and the only team to have beaten us this year (we're 15-1 - they beat us 5-4 in a non-conference tourney game). As far as we can find, it looks like the state record is 29 consecutive hitless innings back in 1986. Can't find any record for hitless innings to start a season. This will be his last regular season start. Senior season has flown by.

roothog66 posted:

My 2018 gave up his first hit of the season last night. So, he extended it to 23.2 ip without a hit. Now stands at 28.2 ip and one hit on the season. 69 K's. Batters are 1-for-85 against him (0.012 OBA). 

Beyond amazing.  The stat that sticks out to me is the K's.  In my uninformed and unscientific opinion, K's per inning gives the best indication of success at the next level.  Your son's ratio is freakish.

roothog66 posted:

My 2018 gave up his first hit of the season last night. So, he extended it to 23.2 ip without a hit. Now stands at 28.2 ip and one hit on the season. 69 K's. Batters are 1-for-85 against him (0.012 OBA). 

Geez, Root, where did things go wrong?  Whatever he ate pre-game yesterday, remove it from the diet immediately.  Need to get that boy back on track   

cabbagedad posted:
roothog66 posted:

Geez, Root, where did things go wrong?  Whatever he ate pre-game yesterday, remove it from the diet immediately.  Need to get that boy back on track   

Nah. That's his secret. He only eats hot dogs and McDoubles as far as I can tell.

Yesterday was the first really nice, upper 60’s sunny day. I decided to bike to a high school game. I got there. No game. A player walked out to get in his father’s car. Has anyone ever had a game postponed due to a manhunt? A cop killer was still at large. But it was 75 miles away.

RJM posted:

Yesterday was the first really nice, upper 60’s sunny day. I decided to bike to a high school game. I got there. No game. A player walked out to get in his father’s car. Has anyone ever had a game postponed due to a manhunt? A cop killer was still at large. But it was 75 miles away.

Uh...yeah...that's a first for me.

Trying to instill a bit more toughness in our V team...

Today, the boys had to show up as helpers for the Booster Club Golf Tournament that is the primary fundraiser for athletics.  They were able to come in shorts.  So the first two senior players show up... the first has socks with popsicles and the second has socks with penquins.   Much work to do on the toughness thing...

On a brighter note, with four league games to play, we have a slight lead and control our destiny at 14-3 in league.  

Another small world irony with HSBBW ties... as a long time follower and admirer of Coach May, I was excited to see that he got back into coaching the HS ranks this year..   interesting to see how many parallels even though we are coasts apart.  Roughly same size public HS, very similar in standings in league, league makeup, overall record, league record, relative state rank, even very close in Maxpreps national ranking.  I'll follow in those footsteps any day.  Here's to a strong finish (or start) for all HSBBW families, players, coaches and programs!

roothog66 posted:

What a slacker! He couldn’t get to 0-86? j/k

What an awesome stat line! Now it’s time for a new streak. 

We play our last regular season game Saturday. While it's listed as a regular season game, it's really a Conference Championship. We're split into two divisions and the division champs play each other. For your viewing pleasure, I edited down my 2018's to just the pitches he threw on Thursday. Went over the video over the weekend and it broke down like this:

Of the 112 pitches he threw, I got velos on 83 fastballs. Nothing below 89 mph.

18 at 89 mph (14 of the 18 in the sixth and seventh innings)

22 at 90 mph

39 at 91 mph

3 at 92 mph 

1 at 93 mph

His last pitch (#112) was 91mph

It's in two parts totaling about 9 or 10 minutes, if any one is interested in watching.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nAEeqYP4rs

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKul-b7cfo

roothog66 posted:

We play our last regular season game Saturday. While it's listed as a regular season game, it's really a Conference Championship. We're split into two divisions and the division champs play each other. For your viewing pleasure, I edited down my 2018's to just the pitches he threw on Thursday. Went over the video over the weekend and it broke down like this:

22 at 90 mph

39 at 91 mph

3 at 92 mph 

1 at 93 mph

It's in two parts totaling about 9 or 10 minutes, if any one is interested in watching.

Awesome Root! Sitting 89-91, touching 93 -- Wow!

2019Dad posted:
roothog66 posted:

22 at 90 mph

39 at 91 mph

3 at 92 mph 

1 at 93 mph

Awesome Root! Sitting 89-91, touching 93 -- Wow!

+1

Won district outright at 12-2.  Play the fourth best team from another district in the first round.  In Texas, it is either a one game or three game series that the coaches agree to.  If they don't agree, they flip a coin.  We lost.  One game series against a senior TCU commit pitcher Thursday night.

Son is behind three senior pitchers that took them deep in playoffs last year.  Pitched 25 innings, gave up one earned run.  Led the team in batting!  Well technically and not really.  He was a PO, but went in for a pitcher hitting for himself.  Went 1-2 with a walk.  Everytime coach pulls up the stats spreadsheet, he's at the top.  Coach says every time, "that's only on two at bats."

Go44dad posted:

Won district outright at 12-2.  Play the fourth best team from another district in the first round.  In Texas, it is either a one game or three game series that the coaches agree to.  If they don't agree, they flip a coin.  We lost.  One game series against a senior TCU commit pitcher Thursday night.

Son is behind three senior pitchers that took them deep in playoffs last year.  Pitched 25 innings, gave up one earned run.  Led the team in batting!  Well technically and not really.  He was a PO, but went in for a pitcher hitting for himself.  Went 1-2 with a walk.  Everytime coach pulls up the stats spreadsheet, he's at the top.  Coach says every time, "that's only on two at bats."

We lost the toss too. One game Wednesday.

Last edited by baseballhs
baseballhs posted:
Go44dad posted:

We lost the toss two. One game Wednesday.

Just doesn't seem right to win district at 12-2 and then an 8-6 team gets to flip to decide the format most favorable to them.  But, oh well.

Go44dad posted:
baseballhs posted:
Go44dad posted:

We lost the toss two. One game Wednesday.

Just doesn't seem right to win district at 12-2 and then an 8-6 team gets to flip to decide the format most favorable to them.  But, oh well.

This is my 15th year and I can't bevel the UIL won't fix this. 3-games needs to be the default unless both coaches agree on a 1-game format. Luckily we won a flip to get to play 3-games this first round.

Of course when I was in school there wasn't even a flip. If one coach wanted to go 1-game then it was a 1-game playoff.

Ridiculous.

The Texas system would be a big improvement on our's. Our whole playoff system is one game per matchup. 32 team bracket, single elimination, win 5 and you're the champ. I just checked Maxpreps, and there are 16 teams in D1 (our division) ranked in the Top 160 in Maxpreps (roughly top 1% in the country) so it is a complete crapshoot. 

Edited to add: and 27 teams in the Top 500

Last edited by 2019Dad
2019Dad posted:

The Texas system would be a big improvement on our's. Our whole playoff system is one game per matchup. 32 team bracket, single elimination, win 5 and you're the champ. I just checked Maxpreps, and there are 16 teams in D1 (our division) ranked in the Top 160 in Maxpreps (roughly top 1% in the country) so it is a complete crapshoot. 

In Colorado, it works like this:

32 teams. First weekend is eight districts (by seed - not geography) of four teams. Single elimination. The 8 district winners advance to an 8-team double-elimination bracket. The only part I don't like is the single elimination Districts. Just add a couple of time slots and make it double-elim like the NCAA. Problem with this set up is you often get lower seeded team who happen to have only one very good pitcher pull the upset and then move on to double-elim where they have basically no chance becuase the remainder of their staff is bad and the reason they were a low seed in the first place.

roothog66 posted:

22 at 90 mph

39 at 91 mph

3 at 92 mph 

1 at 93 mph

Very impressive root, congrats!

2019Dad posted:

Yeah, Calif. Southern Section is brutal.  Seven divisions with an average of about 70 teams per division.  There are teams in D5 that can beat decent D1 teams on a given day.  Some divisions have the 32 team bracket plus play-in "wildcard" games.  All single elimination.  Very tough to get through any bracket.

2019, we faced a handful of good D1 teams from SoCal in our Easter Tourney... I forget if I already knew, would be curious to know what school your son is at.  PM if you'd like, will pull for you guys in a few weeks!  

We had a good win last night... 2 game lead with 3 to play in league.  Could get interesting.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.