Skip to main content

cabbagedad posted:
2019Dad posted:

The Texas system would be a big improvement on our's. Our whole playoff system is one game per matchup. 32 team bracket, single elimination, win 5 and you're the champ. I just checked Maxpreps, and there are 16 teams in D1 (our division) ranked in the Top 160 in Maxpreps (roughly top 1% in the country) so it is a complete crapshoot. 

Edited to add: and 27 teams in the Top 500

Yeah, Calif. Southern Section is brutal.  Seven divisions with an average of about 70 teams per division.  There are teams in D5 that can beat decent D1 teams on a given day.  Some divisions have the 32 team bracket plus play-in "wildcard" games.  All single elimination.  Very tough to get through any bracket.

2019, we faced a handful of good D1 teams from SoCal in our Easter Tourney... I forget if I already knew, would be curious to know what school your son is at.  PM if you'd like, will pull for you guys in a few weeks!  

We had a good win last night... 2 game lead with 3 to play in league.  Could get interesting.

Good luck! Sent you a PM

Go44dad posted:

Won district outright at 12-2.  Play the fourth best team from another district in the first round.  In Texas, it is either a one game or three game series that the coaches agree to.  If they don't agree, they flip a coin.  We lost.  One game series against a senior TCU commit pitcher Thursday night.

Son is behind three senior pitchers that took them deep in playoffs last year.  Pitched 25 innings, gave up one earned run.  Led the team in batting!  Well technically and not really.  He was a PO, but went in for a pitcher hitting for himself.  Went 1-2 with a walk.  Everytime coach pulls up the stats spreadsheet, he's at the top.  Coach says every time, "that's only on two at bats."

Won the "one-game" series 8-1 to advance.  TCU commit was big and threw hard, but wild.  Looked like playoff pressure got to his fielders behind him, didn't help him much. Senior "who always throws complete games and wins, but is not playing baseball after HS" threw an 88 pitch complete game.  And was very angry at himself when he gave up a run.  SRO

Play Cy-Ranch next week.  Big time series.  I think we are 5, 6 respectively in rankings.  Beat them last year in third game, third round.  Last inning, two out come from behind several runs type of beat them.

We played our conference championship game yesterday. Ours is the only conference in the state at any level split into divisions. Despite being ranked #1 in the state in the polls and in the rpi, we could only secure a first round district host spot by winning the championship game vs. the Western division champs, so, five hours into the mountains we traveled.

For whatever reason, our HC didn't really give our opponents the respect they deserve despite them being a top 10 ranked team. He decided he's start our #2, have him pitch a couple of innings, and then go to dalton for two innings, and so on down the rotation since we wouldn't be playing for a week after this. That almost backfired as our #2 struggled uncharacteristically and got us in a 5-0 hole by the end of the second. Meanwhile, they had a lefty on the mound shutting us down. We finally brought dalton in starting with the third and he threw five innings of no-hit shutout ball to give us a chance. We had scratched back to within one run, but still, entering the seventh, we were down 5-4 when our three-hole hitter bailed us out. He smashed an 0-2 fastball off the scoreboard at about 385' for the win. I'm attaching pictures from the at bat. It was a no-doubter from the swing. I honestly cried when he hit it and not because of the win-loss component, but just because I know what this kid may not realize for a decade or more - many people will live their entire lives without ever having a moment that can bring you this kind if joy. 

Dalton continued his great season. He finishes the regular season having thrown 33.2 innings and still given up only the one hit. An era of .042 with 80 K's. His opponent batting avg. is .010 (hitters are 1-for-100 against him). Let's hope that continues in the playoffs starting next Saturday.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Jacobs GS

Need someone to talk me off the ledge.  My 2019 RHP son just got through their tough schedule stretch, where they won 9 games and my son got 4 W and a save.  He started today in a laugher, but coach pulled him after 4 IP, so he's available to pitch on Friday.  That move cost him a W and it's really eating at me.

I know many here say stats don't matter, but pulling a kid before he qualifies for a W so he can pitch again on one days rest is making me think coach doesn't give a sht about my son.

To add to it, coach has been unapproachable about helping with college recruiting.  Now I see why many kids have transferred to private school and repeat a year.  Unfortunately, I cannot afford that!

CTbballDad posted:

Need someone to talk me off the ledge.  My 2019 RHP son just got through their tough schedule stretch, where they won 9 games and my son got 4 W and a save.  He started today in a laugher, but coach pulled him after 4 IP, so he's available to pitch on Friday.  That move cost him a W and it's really eating at me.

I know many here say stats don't matter, but pulling a kid before he qualifies for a W so he can pitch again on one days rest is making me think coach doesn't give a sht about my son.

To add to it, coach has been unapproachable about helping with college recruiting.  Now I see why many kids have transferred to private school and repeat a year.  Unfortunately, I cannot afford that!

Not sure I understand... so you would rather he get one more inning in a laugher so he could add a W to his personal W-L record than have him available to help his team get what I assume would be a more meaningful win at the end of the week?  ?

I swear, I must be losing it... trying to figure out what is happening to the concept of TEAM when talking about a TEAM sport.  Sorry, not sympathetic at all on this one.  If anything, the coach should have pulled him sooner, depending on when it became a laugher.  

The goal is for the team to win, not for the individuals to pad stats.  Is the problem that the coach doesn't give a sht about your son or that your son doesn't give a sht about the team... or at least as much as he does about getting his personal W??

Earlier in this thread, you complained that he was being pitched in a game too long.  Now it's too short.  Then, you also complained about his ERA unnecessarily being increased because he wasn't at his best.  Again, the focus on the individual and not the team.  If your son shares your views on this being the focus, it may have something to do with why the coach isn't offering up much help with the college recruiting aspect.  When I have a talented player who thinks that way, I don't make any effort to help with recruiting either because I don't want to do that to the college coach.   I've seen far too often how that ends up.

Last edited by cabbagedad
CTbballDad posted:

I know many here say stats don't matter, but pulling a kid before he qualifies for a W so he can pitch again on one days rest is making me think coach doesn't give a shit about my son.

I would say the opposite of not caring about your son. It sounds like he gave him a tune up outing and wants to use him sooner as a pitcher against a tougher team. There is a way better chance if he pitches well against a good team of playing after HS than a W against a bad team.

HS W-L record means nothing as far as playing after HS.

Imagine if every player got to make those decisions and not the coach? Imagine if the coach had to check with the parents to see what they wanted him to do before he made a decision. The coach has a job to do. He is attempting to put his team in the best position to win games. Of course there will be people who will second guess his decisions. But that's not the point. He is the coach. It's his decision to make. When he shows up at your job and starts telling you how to do your job then let him know he's out of bounds.

Last night in the state playoffs I pulled a Sr who was throwing a shut out after four innings. I took him out of the game. He gave me a hug as he walked off the field and pulled for his team mates. In the 6th I pinch hit for another Sr so he could go to the pen to potentially throw the top of the 7th. "Coach will I hit this inning." No go to the pen and get loose I want you to throw the top of the 7th to get some work. "Yes sir." He didn't get to pitch because we run ruled them in the bottom of the 6th. You see that's called a team. You better check this mentality and your son better check it if he has the me disease. Because I can assure you if he has any desire to play at the next level that disease will be sniffed out and snuffed out rather quickly.

I can tell you this the moment a player indicates to me that he is more important than we are there are going to be issues and we are going to get that straight. Come on your son did good. The team did good. Why would you take a nice bowl of stew and take a dump right in the middle of it?

cabbagedad posted:
CTbballDad posted:

your son doesn't give a sht about the team... or at least as much as he does about getting his personal W??

To be fair, it's dad out on this particular ledge. He doesn't say anything about his son's feelings. And isn't that often the case that parents take these things differently than the kids who actually are on the team?

Ja'Crispy posted:
CTbballDad posted:

I know many here say stats don't matter, but pulling a kid before he qualifies for a W so he can pitch again on one days rest is making me think coach doesn't give a shit about my son.

I would say the opposite of not caring about your son. It sounds like he gave him a tune up outing and wants to use him sooner as a pitcher against a tougher team. There is a way better chance if he pitches well against a good team of playing after HS than a W against a bad team.

HS W-L record means nothing as far as playing after HS.

Check that. Of all statistics anyone looks at with a high school pitcher, w/l is by far the least important - by far. In fact, completely meaningless.

CTbballDad posted:

Under NFHS rules, you only need to pitch 3 innings to qualify for a win.  And even if you don't , the scorekeepers can do whatever they want, so tell them to give your son the W.

hsbaseball101 posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Under NFHS rules, you only need to pitch 3 innings to qualify for a win.  And even if you don't , the scorekeepers can do whatever they want, so tell them to give your son the W.

I believe it's 4 innings in a 7 inning game, but 3 innings if it's less than 7.

Yeah. Here's the rule. However, I think most scorekeepers end up ignoring it completely, another reason that W/L means little in HS ball:

ART. 6 . . . Winning and losing pitchers are determined as follows:
a. If the starting pitcher has pitched the first four innings or more and his team is ahead when he is replaced and the team holds the lead for the
remainder of the game, he shall be the winning pitcher.
b. If a game ends for whatever reason, having gone less than seven innings, then the starting pitcher shall have pitched three or more consecutive innings to be declared the winning pitcher. If the starting pitcher cannot be declared the winning pitcher, and more than one relief pitcher is used, the winning pitcher shall be determined using the following criteria:
1. If the score is tied, it results in the game becoming a new contest so far as judging who is the winning and losing pitcher. 
2. If the starting pitcher is removed before having pitched four or more innings and his team is ahead, the official scorer shall determine the winning pitcher to be the relief pitcher who has been the most effective.
3. If the opposition goes ahead, pitchers up to that time in the game cannot be credited with the win. However, if the pitcher pitching subsequently
takes and maintains a lead the remainder of the game, said pitcher is credited with the win.
4. Generally the relief pitcher credited with the win is the pitcher when his team takes the lead and holds it for the rest of the game. However, if the relief pitcher pitches only a short while or not effectively and a succeeding relief pitcher replaces him and does better work in keeping the lead, the latter shall be granted the win.
c. If a pitcher is removed for a pinch-hitter or a pinch-runner, the runs scored by his team during the inning of his removal are to be credited to his benefit to decide the pitcher of record.
d. The starting pitcher shall be charged with the loss when he is replaced and his team is behind or falls behind because of runs assessed to him after
being replaced and his team does not subsequently tie the score or take the lead.
e. A pitcher cannot be given credit for pitching a shutout when he does not pitch the complete game except when he enters the game with no one out before the opponents have scored in the first inning and does not permit the opposition to score during the game.

ART. 7 . . . In order for a pitcher to be credited with a save, he shall meet all three of the following criteria:
a. he is the last pitcher in a game won by his team; and b. he is not the winning pitcher; and
c. he meets at least one of the following:
1. he enters the game with a lead of not more than three runs and pitches at least one inning; or
2. he enters the game regardless of the count on the batter with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck; or 
3. he pitches effectively for at least three innings. 
4. A starting pitcher who is replaced and then re-enters as pitcher can be credited with a win but not a save.

Man, we are still in the thick of things  in the upper midwest. Lotta games to make up for a slow start. Special jr. pinch hit, and was pinch run for, the second time this year. Surreal for him, because he's the fastest kid on the team, normally, but he has been out with a sprained ankle caused by stepping in an OF pothole early on...said pothole being caused the thaw, and lack of field prep. 

Like I said, it's been a late spring. A lot of the pitchers look rusty. Some of the "studs"(D1 and very good D2 recruits) that I know about from seeing them on summer teams just aren't looking sharp. The hitters certainly seem to be ahead.

The team has better fielding than last year's. Last year's team has some great athletic ability, but this year's team seems to be better ball players. Like all teams, it seems like we could use more pitching, but otherwise we look pretty good. Definitely top 10 in state(son said that we are in the Midwest top 10 in some USA Today poll, which I didn't even know existed...seems to be a reach) with a shot...it's all about pitching for us.

Last edited by 57special
57special posted:

Man, we are still in the thick of things  in the upper midwest. Lotta games to make up for a slow start. Special jr. pinch hit, and was pinch run for, the second time this year. Surreal for him, because he's the fastest kid on the team, normally, but he has been out with a sprained ankle caused by stepping in an OF pothole early on...said pothole being caused the thaw, and lack of field prep. 

Like I said, it's been a late spring. A lot of the pitchers look rusty. Some of the "studs"(D1 and very good D2 recruits) that I know about from seeing them on summer teams just aren't looking sharp. The hitters certainly seem to be ahead.

The team has better fielding than last year's. Last year's team has some great athletic ability, but this year's team seems to be better ball players. Like all teams, it seems like we could use more pitching, but otherwise we look pretty good. Definitely top 10 in state(son said that we are in the Midwest top 10 in some USA Today poll, which I didn't even know existed...seems to be a reach) with a shot...it's all about pitching for us.

Didn't know about the Midwest top 10.... the weather has been rough for us as well, in northern Illinois.. Good luck to you guys.

Oh, my. Yesterday was probably my kid's best day ever in baseball. We were playing in the first two rounds of the state tournament as the #1 seed in the state. In Colorado, 32 teams make the playoffs. They are put into 8 pods of four teams for the first round, called regionals, although there is nothing geographic about it. The regional round is single elimination, with the eight winners moving on to a double elim state tournament. We start our #3 pitcher and win the first game in run rule fashion. For the regional finals, our HC pulls the same move that almost cost us the Conference championship last week and starts our #2. He's had a great year, but been struggling lately - especially last week. He can't get out of the first and we give up seven runs in the top of the first before they can get Dalton warmed up to start the second inning.

He throws 7 innings of no-hit, shutout ball and we scratch back the seven runs and go into the bottom tied at 7-7. With runners at 1 & 3 and one out, they walk our cleanup hitter to get to Dalton, who takes the first pitch and:

Attachments

Videos (1)

His season has been something I never really could have even imagined in my wildest dreams. His tats on the mound this year:

40.3 ip, era 0.34, 1 hit allowed, 95 K's. He started the year with 23.2 ip without giving up a hit, then, after giving up his first hit, started another streak that's alive at 17 straight hitless innings. In addition, the velocity has spiked. Yesterday, I didn't get a look until I got home. Threw on the video and just randomly picked a spot in his first inning - four consecutive pitches at 93 mph. I know I'm obnoxiously bragging here, but I'm still emotional over yesterday. It was his last appearance on the mound in his home park and that was his last at bat at home. I LOVE this time of year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...amp;feature=youtu.be

roothog66 posted:

Oh, my. Yesterday was probably my kid's best day ever in baseball. We were playing in the first two rounds of the state tournament as the #1 seed in the state. In Colorado, 32 teams make the playoffs. They are put into 8 pods of four teams for the first round, called regionals, although there is nothing geographic about it. The regional round is single elimination, with the eight winners moving on to a double elim state tournament. We start our #3 pitcher and win the first game in run rule fashion. For the regional finals, our HC pulls the same move that almost cost us the Conference championship last week and starts our #2. He's had a great year, but been struggling lately - especially last week. He can't get out of the first and we give up seven runs in the top of the first before they can get Dalton warmed up to start the second inning.

He throws 7 innings of no-hit, shutout ball and we scratch back the seven runs and go into the bottom tied at 7-7. With runners at 1 & 3 and one out, they walk our cleanup hitter to get to Dalton, who takes the first pitch and:

ATTA BOY!!!!

Well....Sons high school career is over now. Ended late Sunday after an epic 12 inning game! Third game in the championship series. Winner take all game. What a ride!! Almost four hours of drama. We had the game won four different times in extra innings. Also we were up by two going into the seventh and gave up a three run homer and had to come back in the bottom of the seventh just to send it into extras. Came close to winning it there but stranded my son on third base.

A very dramatic game that included a bases loaded potentially series winning grounder that went through between the drawn-in second and first basemen to win the game but only to have the ball bounce off the runners leg to kill the play and suck the momentum out of everyone after the umpires cleared the field of celebrating players and fans.

We win it with a walk off home run from the same kid who got hit in the leg,in the twelfth, for the fifth straight championship and my sons third ring!! What a ride!!

Cant wait to see the next episode.....

roothog66 posted:

His season has been something I never really could have even imagined in my wildest dreams. His tats on the mound this year:

40.3 ip, era 0.34, 1 hit allowed, 95 K's. He started the year with 23.2 ip without giving up a hit, then, after giving up his first hit, started another streak that's alive at 17 straight hitless innings. In addition, the velocity has spiked. Yesterday, I didn't get a look until I got home. Threw on the video and just randomly picked a spot in his first inning - four consecutive pitches at 93 mph. I know I'm obnoxiously bragging here, but I'm still emotional over yesterday. It was his last appearance on the mound in his home park and that was his last at bat at home. I LOVE this time of year.

With Winn in SoCal this year, is your boy going to be state pitcher of the year? Can't imagine anyone is having a better year.

nxt lvl posted:

Well....Sons high school career is over now. Ended late Sunday after an epic 12 inning game! Third game in the championship series. Winner take all game. What a ride!! Almost four hours of drama. We had the game won four different times in extra innings. Also we were up by two going into the seventh and gave up a three run homer and had to come back in the bottom of the seventh just to send it into extras. Came close to winning it there but stranded my son on third base.

A very dramatic game that included a bases loaded potentially series winning grounder that went through between the drawn-in second and first basemen to win the game but only to have the ball bounce off the runners leg to kill the play and suck the momentum out of everyone after the umpires cleared the field of celebrating players and fans.

We win it with a walk off home run from the same kid who got hit in the leg,in the twelfth, for the fifth straight championship and my sons third ring!! What a ride!!

Wow.  Not sure how you go forward with a baseball career and top that.  Wish you could post the last pitch of that one like Root did... we could just put up those two clips for those that come on and profess that HS baseball doesn't mean anything any more and isn't competitive. 

Congrats !!

roothog66 posted:

Congrats!  Root PM

2019Dad posted:
roothog66 posted:

With Winn in SoCal this year, is your boy going to be state pitcher of the year? Can't imagine anyone is having a better year.

There's no Pitcher of the Year in Colorado that I know of. He was nominated for Gatorade POY. There is one kid up at Pine Creek - Justin Olson - having a monster year with the bat. There's also the fact that we play at the 3A level (out of 5 classifications). There are some saying they don't see it going to a 3A player, but two pitchers from our school have won the award. Scott Brocail - little brother of Rangers pitching coach Doug Brocail and Scott Elarton, so, there's a chance. 

Winn won it last year at a 4A school, but, of course, he moved to Southern Cal. DAlton currently has the lowest era in the state at any classification level and that one hit in 40.2 ip is an eye opening stat. We'll see. Either way, he's having a fun senior year.

nxt lvl posted:

What a great moment!

cabbagedad posted:
nxt lvl posted:

Wow.  Not sure how you go forward with a baseball career and top that.  Wish you could post the last pitch of that one like Root did... we could just put up those two clips for those that come on and profess that HS baseball doesn't mean anything any more and isn't competitive. 

Congrats !!

Yep. Seeing my kid break into tears when it was mentioned that was his last home at bat...can't tell me HS ball doesn't mean anything anymore.

roothog66 posted:

THAT IS AWESOME!!

roothog66 posted:

Woohoo - congrats!

Giving up one hit over the course of the season = PoY!

Weather still mediocre, but playable, and yesterday we get...a rainout. Selfishly, I don't mind, because son continues to be out with a grade two ankle sprain, but the team, especially the pitchers, need to get their mojo going. of course, this was the first time in years that they didn't go down to Orlando for spring break pre season.

Son's team was eliminated from playoffs last week.  Drummed 7-0, 11-0.  Opponent played exactly one player that was not committed to a D1 or Juco.  And had two D1 commit pitchers that did not pitch. But hey, there is always someone bigger, better.  We beat them last year, I don't think we got a runner to third this year.

I think I saw the best youth hitter I have ever seen.  And he is PG ranked top 1000 or something.  My son thought the same thing.

Son seems to be taking it alright.  Pretty quiet the first couple of days, but moved on pretty quickly.  I just leave him alone when defeat happens.  He talks when he is ready.  It would have been fun to advance, of course.

Here comes travel baseball.  It has been a blast every year. We will both see old friends, make new ones and travel the country.  Will play very good competition, son will get to hit and play the field (PO'd this HS season).  But there is this strange feeling for both of us, knowing that no travel game/bracket/situation is going to feel the same as High School.  The intensity, camaraderie, support from classmates can't be touched in our experience.

roothog66 posted:
cabbagedad posted:
nxt lvl posted:

Congrats !!

Yep. Seeing my kid break into tears when it was mentioned that was his last home at bat...can't tell me HS ball doesn't mean anything anymore.

So your son goes to Lamar? My son plays at Mountain Vista. small world. Good luck to you guys

TStevens posted:
roothog66 posted:
cabbagedad posted:
nxt lvl posted:

Congrats !!

So your son goes to Lamar? My son plays at Mountain Vista. small world. Good luck to you guys

Wow. Yeah, and I coach with Scott Boyd in the summers for the Yard Dawgs. 3A sort of get ignored in Colorado, but - if I can brag for a minute - he gets a mention on this show (at about the 7:45 mark):

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.