Skip to main content

This seems to be a dead thread. Maybe we can revive it a little for the 2018 class?

My son was at a showcase last weekend and had a great time, a pretty good showing considering it's Florida and it was very cold and sprinkly/misty the whole time - the coldest of winter days for this neck of the woods. The showcase director spoke to the boys after each day and gave them the opportunity to shake hands with all of the scouts that were there and then they were able to speak to them, in their attempt to get recruited, make a connection. It was really the best showcase he'd been to in that manner that gave the boys that much contact with scouts, aside from just going to a specific school's camp. 

Hoping/trying to get recruited is a stressful time. At the showcase, the boys were told not to worry now, but if their not talking to a school seriously in April, then worry.  Ha! Praying it doesn't come to that.

The other aspect he was told not to pay attention to is the overload of seeing friends and teammates getting signed. After playing ball for 14 years, the boys tend to meet many players along the way, and social media has helped build those connections, so they usually keep up with each other, especially with spring right around the corner.

One camp we went to at a D1, the coach explained it was more about the grades, and he proved himself truthful when he recruited two of my son's teammates, one  who always started behind him in the same position, but has grades that are not just great like my son has, but even higher grades and super high test scores, like genius level.  That made some kind of sense.

Sometimes the recruiting doesn't make sense. We see boys who are being chased down by college scouts that are really good players, but have mediocre grades at best, and are social media nightmares. Is there a point where the player is that good that they overlook the immaturity of his actions? There is so much talk about having clean socials, is that just lip service for some?

We also see some players getting overlooked. Some train harder than anyone around, are super athletic, verifiable measurables/stats,  have awesome grades, responsible and respectful, their HS coaches love them, they are starters on every team they play on (HS and travel and guest), but there's got to be something missing.  What is the missing link? Is the kid who is a lesser player better at building relationships with coaches? Did he promote himself much earlier and to more schools, or just get that lucky break? Is it like American Idol and they just don't have the "X Factor"? -There are so many factors. Fighting the urge to compare and over analyze is very difficult.

Honestly, the formula for recruiting sounds good in theory, but none of it makes sense when applied in the real world, at least from our view.  It doesn't seem to be going down according to the formula. This being our first time around, it really is a mystery. 

If you can offer advice or positivity to these 2018's - or their managers...ugh, I mean parents...please do. The ones we know are casting their wider nets, doing the emails, going to the camps and showcases, filling questionnaires, registered for the eligibility centers, are talking to their coaches, their coaches are talking to other coaches....so if you have something to add that can help, something that helped your player, know of showcases or camps that are better than the rest...please share.

Happy New Year!  All the best to the 2018's!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cast the net wide. Plenty of opportunities outside of DI. If you aren't getting DI interest at this point, there's a reason. Focus on what you can control. Keep academics a priority. I know of plenty of kids that had great collegiate careers at something other than DI. 

Keep pounding the pavement that lead to the right fit. 

GL in 2018!

Are you targeting D3 schools?  Its more of a right place right time sometimes as well...2018 signed up to a D3 camp this past august at last minute...ended up having a career day both offensively and defensively...coach told the crowd that he would contact those they are interested in within two weeks or so...got a call five mins after we left.  School ended up being a perfect fit for son with him and the coach clicking immediately.  Have you done PBR or PG events?  these events hold unsigned senior showcases at this time of year which could give your son the exposure needed with coaches looking for players (right place right time). 

Good Luck and don't let you son get down about not signing yet...there are still opportunities out there as I am still seeing 2018's signing on social media.

If your son is a 2018 and seeking four year college opportunities, it's very late in the process for most schools.

A key aspect of the overall process is to develop a vetted list of schools...vetted academically and athletically.  That means fishing in the right pond, i.e., where the player really fits with respect to baseball and academics.  Not wishful thinking, but schools and programs that make sense. 

That list can and should be vetted not just by the player and parents, but by independent third parties like guidance counselors, coaches, scouts, et.al. who will give the player and family the cold hard truth.  In my experience over nearly a decade at this, most missed opportunities come from fishing in the wrong pond.  Once that vetted list is created (and it will evolve) then target those schools on the player's list...don't presume the player will magically be found by coaches.

Most players will need to personally be seen by the baseball coaches on the player's vetted list of schools.  That typically happens at showcases and camps and tournaments.  And it only helps to express interest to the player's Admissions rep at each of those schools too, e.g., interview, visit, tour, etc.  Early decision and early action applications are also a key measure in showing interest to coaches and admissions reps and many coaches will counsel their targeted student athletes to go in that direction.

Application deadlines are fast approaching.  Some are already past. 

At this stage, a player needs to have conversations with those coaches who've expressed real interest.  If a coach hasn't expressed interest now, then they probably aren't interested.

The early D1 signing period is over, so my guess is that D1 interest is not there.  And most D2 and D3 programs have there 2018's in the hopper too.

Ask those interested coaches where that player stands?  If I apply and get in, do I have a guaranteed Spring 2019 roster spot?  That's the ideal outcome in the non-scholarship world though some coaches will only promise a Fall tryout spot.  

Is the player fishing in the right pond?

is the player asking the coaches exactly where he stands on their recruiting board??

Good luck! 

I'm not sure you've missed the college baseball bus, but it's pulling away as you're getting to the bus stop. Were you doing these same things over the last few years and was there interest/engagement from colleges or not? Will he walk on and take a chance? Will he play anywhere to get on a team (D2) with the goal to move up from there?

Shoveit4Ks posted:

I'm not sure you've missed the college baseball bus, but it's pulling away as you're getting to the bus stop. Were you doing these same things over the last few years and was there interest/engagement from colleges or not? Will he walk on and take a chance? Will he play anywhere to get on a team (D2) with the goal to move up from there?

Not sure you can move up from DII once you have enrolled and played at that level. Maybe a Juco to start and move up from there or a 4-2-4 scenario if the walk on DI doesn't work out.

Based on the info here, it sounds like Juco, DII, DIII or NAIA are the his best options. Walking on to a DI without a sniff of be recruited is just asking for failure. IMHO. 

I can relate with you and your son in the stress, anxiety and non-interest with colleges. My son was in a similar position with the exception that a couple of colleges showed interest the summer before his Sr HS year began.  As above have mentioned cast a wide net and keep at it.  With son's consent maybe handle some of the direct correspondences with coaches to ease his burden.  The D1 school that my son accepted a scholarship at actually saw him a few times over a 2 year span.  The last time they saw him within a few weeks they presented an offer.  The HC in an interview said something "clicked" the last time he saw him and was surprised little offers.  Moral of story is keep at it, work hard, give 110%. good grades, etc and hopefully it will "click".  Hard to swallow if only few offers, (like D1, etc) maybe saying talent may not be there for what they are looking for.  A few good HS players who gave verbals before my son at D1 schools ended up redshirting, or received little if any playing time.  All eventually left the following year.  You go to a P5 or other great baseball program there is a bigger chance others will be better.  Find the program that has good education and a baseball program where he can compete.  Until you know his ability at the college level, consider the scholarship as a way to get a good education at a discounted price.  That way you will always come out a winner.  Good luck!

Last edited by Trust In Him
BaseballParent23 posted:

This seems to be a dead thread. Maybe we can revive it a little for the 2018 class?

My son was at a showcase last weekend and had a great time, a pretty good showing considering it's Florida and it was very cold and sprinkly/misty the whole time - the coldest of winter days for this neck of the woods. The showcase director spoke to the boys after each day and gave them the opportunity to shake hands with all of the scouts that were there and then they were able to speak to them, in their attempt to get recruited, make a connection. It was really the best showcase he'd been to in that manner that gave the boys that much contact with scouts, aside from just going to a specific school's camp. 

Hoping/trying to get recruited is a stressful time. At the showcase, the boys were told not to worry now, but if their not talking to a school seriously in April, then worry.  Ha! Praying it doesn't come to that.

The other aspect he was told not to pay attention to is the overload of seeing friends and teammates getting signed. After playing ball for 14 years, the boys tend to meet many players along the way, and social media has helped build those connections, so they usually keep up with each other, especially with spring right around the corner.

One camp we went to at a D1, the coach explained it was more about the grades, and he proved himself truthful when he recruited two of my son's teammates, one  who always started behind him in the same position, but has grades that are not just great like my son has, but even higher grades and super high test scores, like genius level.  That made some kind of sense. Grades mean a lot and more to D2 , NAIA and D3... limited # of baseball dollars at D2 and none at D3

Sometimes the recruiting doesn't make sense. We see boys who are being chased down by college scouts that are really good players, but have mediocre grades at best, and are social media nightmares. Is there a point where the player is that good that they overlook the immaturity of his actions? There is so much talk about having clean socials, is that just lip service for some? Coaches will always give talent a chance... if it doesn't work out cut him in the fall.  He might get 6k in baseball money offered,  zero the first semester and 6k the second... 

We also see some players getting overlooked.  True this happens Some train harder than anyone around, are super athletic, verifiable measurables/stats,   this is subjective even with stats have awesome grades, responsible and respectful, their HS coaches love them, HS school coaches are teachers and they tend to have too much connection , almost father like. they are starters on every team they play on (HS and travel and guest), but there's got to be something missing.  What is the missing link? Is the kid who is a lesser player better at building relationships with coaches?  No he is not... coaches get a new crop every year and do not want to get too close to recruits until the commit and sign. Did he promote himself much earlier and to more schools, Maybe  or just get that lucky break?  Maybe Is it like American Idol and they just don't have the "X Factor"?  Most likely they do not have the it factor There are so many factors. Fighting the urge to compare and over analyze is very difficult. 

Honestly, the formula for recruiting sounds good in theory, but none of it makes sense when applied in the real world, at least from our view.  It doesn't seem to be going down according to the formula. This being our first time around, it really is a mystery. 

If you can offer advice or positivity to these 2018's - or their managers...ugh, I mean parents...please do. The ones we know are casting their wider nets, doing the emails, going to the camps and showcases, filling questionnaires, registered for the eligibility centers, are talking to their coaches, their coaches are talking to other coaches....so if you have something to add that can help, something that helped your player, know of showcases or camps that are better than the rest...please share.

Happy New Year!  All the best to the 2018's!

Most D1 schools are finished scouting the 2018 class.  Some players get interest from D1 programs, but the coaches are really just stringing them in case their first picks do not get through admissions etc.  Mid level D1 take a ton of Juco's  so they may have  a small class of 2018's if you were to look at the commitment page on PG thank might lead you to think they are still recruiting  but they might have some transfers or a Juco they just picked up at the break. 

I here a lot of new parents come on the board and say , we have been to this camp and they said they 'liked' said player.  Honestly, if they really truly liked the player , the way you want them to like the player, they would start a conversation immediately........and sometimes they do and it doesn't work out and sometimes they don't and it does work out.

You have to get very very detailed with your list.  New parents when you are looking at schools dig on that school . go back 10 years, how many coaching changes, does the school fund all 11.7 scholarships, how many players are roster'ed at you sons position. How many freshman were committed and how many made it through the fall?  How many sr's do they keep around ?  How many transfers?  Look at the stats how many players get field time?   Unless you are  SEC or ACC or PAC10  most baseball recruiting is done regionally.  Look a the roster and see how many kids a out of state?  are they private schools or public?  What region of the country are the schools in? 

It's really hard to give advice without knowing the specifics and each recruitment is different.  different school , coach, player, grades, year etc....

Good luck , keep asking questions

It's hard to answer your questions...as there is no one answer for all of them.  I think everyone has seen it.....a kid who doesn't have that "wow" factor getting offers before our sons who have done everything they can and don't get overwhelmed with offers...or the offers come later than we had hoped.  My son was one of those kids....we saw others getting offers...and wondered why he hadn't gotten any....even though he had serious interest from a couple schools who had been making an effort to come see him fairly often and he had performed extremely well almost every time.  Then one day the phone rang...first contact with this school.  Call was on a Friday.....unofficial visit the following Tuesday....coach came to see him throw on Wednesday and offered/accepted on Thursday.  Done within 6 days of the first contact at a school that fit him well academically and athletically....but up until first call we didn't think they knew he even existed.  3 years in he's a big part of the program....while several of those kids who got offered and accepted before him have either 1) not seen the field at all  2) transferred to a smaller school or 3) quit baseball altogether.   If you've been here long enough you've heard "fit" mentioned thousands of times.  Maybe the schools your son is looking at aren't the right fit....maybe he needs to look at other schools where he may fit better.  There may be coaches out there looking for kids like him but if he's not reaching out to them they don't know he's even looking.  As others have said....at this point, D1 is highly unlikely for a 2018...though not impossible.  You need to decide quick...and spend every minute of the next 2 or 3 months getting in touch with schools that he would be willing to attend if an offer comes.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Picked Off posted:

Cast the net wide. Plenty of opportunities outside of DI. If you aren't getting DI interest at this point, there's a reason. Focus on what you can control. Keep academics a priority. I know of plenty of kids that had great collegiate careers at something other than DI. 

Keep pounding the pavement that lead to the right fit. 

GL in 2018!

Really good song by David Lee Murphy - If the Fish Ain't Bitin'!  (The chorus goes, "What kinda bait you got on the hook?"  If the D-1's aren't calling by now, you still have a chance, but the chance is infinitely smaller than it would have been this last fall.  You are most likely fishing in the wrong waters, because your bait is not working. Do as PO said and cast a wider net!

Last edited by rynoattack
BP23, talent is 99% of the equation for most college baseball coaches . The other things (social, grades, references, etc) are all just tie-breakers. Don't get me wrong, tie-breakers are important, especially if you're at the same talent level as lots of other guys.

I don't mean to be negative, but if he hasn't talked to any schools that were excited about the prospect of him attending, at this late date, then he's not talking to the right schools. At this point his options are more limited than they were 6 months ago (baseball and academic), but he still has options if playing college baseball is important to him. If he would consider juco, that sounds like the obvious choice at this stage, but finding the right juco fit (somewhere that he will get PT) is no less important.

Also, this list might be helpful in identifying D2/D3 baseball schools. It can be sorted by division and state.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted.

Formula has to be — reach out to as many coaches at as many different levels that you even might be interested in. Send them a short email and a video and see what comes back.

I would advise though against thinking that JUCO is somehow easier than D1 for recruiting. In most cases, our experience was that kids looking at JUCO were going there as a way to prepare for D1, either academically or athletically, not because they couldn't have played at a D2 or D3.

If your son is truly willing to play anywhere — he just wants to play, then I would say don't despair. My son's best friend is a 2018. Skinny as a rail but a heck of an outfielder and a solid RHP.

He went to a D2 camp with us in summer of 2017 and coach flat out told him not to commit at that time. His advice was to wait until after our high school season, which is summer ball and ends in July.

The BF worked hard, sent out video late in the fall to a number of schools and since then rejected an offer from an NAIA, and now is lining up visits to area D3s and has interest from out of state D2s.

Yes it's late for D1s, but not all schools are D1s. Up to your son if he's okay with that.

I agree with the sentiment of others and will try not to beat a dead horse too much.  I will say this happens to way more players than folks realize... good players, capable of playing at some college level, taking all the right steps, good students, etc., etc..... just not quite good enough to convince a college coach that he will be the sure bet contributor that warrants offering some of the program's precious scholy $ - more so than others he has seen.

As far as advice (considering the late-hour scenario) - I will offer this slightly different slant...  Start low.  Start contacting schools that, from a baseball standpoint, should be no-brainers as far as the player being able to contribute.  See what kind of response he gets.  He may be surprised to find a place he really likes and a place that really likes him.  This will, at the least, give him that decent "plan B".  From there, he can explore other options with some of the anxiety lifted, knowing he has a fall-back.  If he STILL doesn't get any love from those sure bet schools, you know there are other issues to figure out.  

Also, are you getting TRULY unbiased and qualified evaluations of schools he should be targeting?  Sometimes, when you find these guys, it's a double-bonus.  Not only will they steer you to the right level but often they know of a specific program or two that may be a fit.

BTW, if he has a recruiting video, I'd be glad to take a look via PM.  I'll give you an unbiased.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. He did ramp things up (started casting that wider net) a few months ago, end of summer, after him and his teammates realized that the coaches from their travel team weren't doing anything to help them. They told them all season they were making phone calls and then nothing. Only 2 scouts ever came to watch their team the entire summer season. They told all the boys there were a couple of D2s in South Carolina where they had connections and then the season ended and that was the end of it, nobody heard a thing. Fall came around and he played with his HS, which his HS coach has done more for him in that regards. He called the local D2 on my son's list, spoke to the coach and they sent a guy to watch my son at the next tournament. Things heated up and then cooled down. We've been told that was because they are talking to other catchers, still deciding. Not sure the truth to the reasoning, but really hate when things are sugar coated. Being more realists, would like someone to step up and tell my son to look elsewhere point blank.

Son has never had rose colored glasses, his coaches (HS and travel) have said they see him as a good fit at a D2 or for sure at D3, NAIA, JUCO. His HS coach is supposed to be speaking with the local JUCO coach. During showcase last week, son spoke to a JUCO coach who said they need catchers and told him he liked my son's performance and told him to email him some info.

So, he showcased last weekend and this weekend in the PG 2018 Uncommitted. He did the PBR Unsigned senior games in late summer, spoke to a couple coaches and his top D2 coach there.  Really not sure where else to showcase. Choosing showcases is tough too, since he's done a couple that were complete money grabs - cancelled the games with out a blink of an eye and cut the day short, exaggerated the scout attendance.  The local D2 (mentioned above) that's at the top of his list is having another camp next weekend, and he's debating on going. Thinks he shouldn't waste the money. I'm not sure  either. He's getting ready for spring and looking forward to it.

Thanks again for your responses. I appreciate all of the advice.

BaseballParent23 posted:

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. He did ramp things up (started casting that wider net) a few months ago, end of summer, after him and his teammates realized that the coaches from their travel team weren't doing anything to help them. They told them all season they were making phone calls and then nothing. Only 2 scouts ever came to watch their team the entire summer season. They told all the boys there were a couple of D2s in South Carolina where they had connections and then the season ended and that was the end of it, nobody heard a thing. Fall came around and he played with his HS, which his HS coach has done more for him in that regards. He called the local D2 on my son's list, spoke to the coach and they sent a guy to watch my son at the next tournament. Things heated up and then cooled down. We've been told that was because they are talking to other catchers, still deciding. Not sure the truth to the reasoning, but really hate when things are sugar coated. Being more realists, would like someone to step up and tell my son to look elsewhere point blank.

Son has never had rose colored glasses, his coaches (HS and travel) have said they see him as a good fit at a D2 or for sure at D3, NAIA, JUCO. His HS coach is supposed to be speaking with the local JUCO coach. During showcase last week, son spoke to a JUCO coach who said they need catchers and told him he liked my son's performance and told him to email him some info.

So, he showcased last weekend and this weekend in the PG 2018 Uncommitted. He did the PBR Unsigned senior games in late summer, spoke to a couple coaches and his top D2 coach there.  Really not sure where else to showcase. Choosing showcases is tough too, since he's done a couple that were complete money grabs - cancelled the games with out a blink of an eye and cut the day short, exaggerated the scout attendance.  The local D2 (mentioned above) that's at the top of his list is having another camp next weekend, and he's debating on going. Thinks he shouldn't waste the money. I'm not sure  either. He's getting ready for spring and looking forward to it.

My advice to anyone out there looking is do not EVER rely on anyone else to "help" with your recruiting.  The player needs to take the lead and then if and when you get help from coaches etc., that is the icing on the cake.  I read on here once to forget about the numbers/letters...  Doesnt matter if D1, 2, 3, JUCO, NAIA or anything else.  Dont get caught up in the numbers.  Cast a very wide net both geographically and educationally, find the right fit and take the lead in your recruitment.

cabbagedad posted:

I agree with the sentiment of others and will try not to beat a dead horse too much.  I will say this happens to way more players than folks realize... good players, capable of playing at some college level, taking all the right steps, good students, etc., etc..... just not quite good enough to convince a college coach that he will be the sure bet contributor that warrants offering some of the program's precious scholy $ - more so than others he has seen.

As far as advice (considering the late-hour scenario) - I will offer this slightly different slant...  Start low.  Start contacting schools that, from a baseball standpoint, should be no-brainers as far as the player being able to contribute.  See what kind of response he gets.  He may be surprised to find a place he really likes and a place that really likes him.  This will, at the least, give him that decent "plan B".  From there, he can explore other options with some of the anxiety lifted, knowing he has a fall-back.  If he STILL doesn't get any love from those sure bet schools, you know there are other issues to figure out.  

Also, are you getting TRULY unbiased and qualified evaluations of schools he should be targeting?  Sometimes, when you find these guys, it's a double-bonus.  Not only will they steer you to the right level but often they know of a specific program or two that may be a fit.

BTW, if he has a recruiting video, I'd be glad to take a look via PM.  I'll give you an unbiased.

I'd like an unbiased.  If you're feeling generous. 

Baseballparent23.....if the D2 that he likes is local (no travel expense) and is having a camp next week, I'd say it's absolutely not a waste of money.  A camp at a school, especially one that's local and has had conversations with your son is a REALLY good way to get in front of the coaches again.   I'd suggest emailing them and letting them know he's coming and see what kind of reply he gets.  I think their reply will give you a pretty good idea of what they have in mind with regard to him. If you don't go, I'm thinking they'll assume his interest in them is gone and you may lose a shot at that school. 

On the other side of the coin, I'm kind of thinking that if the school is local and they were really interested that they'd have ASKED him to attend.  That's fairly common among coaches when they are on the fence with regard to whether or not they like a kid enough to pull the trigger.

My son is a D1 pitcher...I know what he looks for in a catcher.  If you'd like to PM me a video I'll take a look too

BaseballParent23 posted:

I would go to the local D-2 Camp.  He's interested, he's been told he has D-2 talent, sounds like a good place to explore.

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Baseballparent23.....if the D2 that he likes is local (no travel expense) and is having a camp next week, I'd say it's absolutely not a waste of money.  A camp at a school, especially one that's local and has had conversations with your son is a REALLY good way to get in front of the coaches again.   I'd suggest emailing them and letting them know he's coming and see what kind of reply he gets.  I think their reply will give you a pretty good idea of what they have in mind with regard to him. If you don't go, I'm thinking they'll assume his interest in them is gone and you may lose a shot at that school. 

On the other side of the coin, I'm kind of thinking that if the school is local and they were really interested that they'd have ASKED him to attend.  That's fairly common among coaches when they are on the fence with regard to whether or not they like a kid enough to pull the trigger.

My son is a D1 pitcher...I know what he looks for in a catcher.  If you'd like to PM me a video I'll take a look too

Thanks Buckeye,

I emailed the local D2 about their camp, the recruiting coach that I met last week at another showcase to get a feel for if they thought it was good for him to go and he sent back a very encouraging reply.  He said my son should definitely come to the camp. One thing I have discussed with my son is keeping the door open, even if he goes to  a JUCO now, he may end  up trying to come back to the D2 later. So, son was feeling rejected and reluctant to go, but after all that he changed his mind and he's gonna go. But he's still working on that wider net for sure. Feeling much more energized about that after receiving some really positive feedback from the coach his team had for the PG showcase last weekend.

Side note to this whole local D2 story.....his good friend and training partner from last year in high school, the kid is a year older than my son, was recruited by this same local D2. Said friend got the entire deal that my son is hoping to get- just a small baseball scholarship to top off his academic schollys so he can afford that school. So said kid starts his first college year off showing up late to early morning workouts because he can't get himself up in time, gets suspended from the team for a month. Now, all the coaches know my son and this guy are good friends. I suspect that the coaches may be thinking that they do not want another player like that and think my son may have those same bad habits. My son is the more motivated of the two, he is more the punctual and reliable one, but they  don't know that.  The whole thing made my son mad because friend has what son is dreaming about and just pissed all over it. So, would that really play a part in the mind of coaches? Or would they not think that much of it?  If so, is there anything my son could or should say that could show that his behavior isn't the same as friend, without throwing friend under the bus?

Buckeye 2015 posted:

I wouldn't be too concerned about that....your son will get looked at on his own...not what his friend did.   As far as his friend....I don't know many kids who got suspended for a month for being late to a couple morning workouts.....there's gotta more that you're not hearing lol.    Good luck to your son

This particular player may have an NLI, so there is so much you can and cant do, but he may be on a short lease. Being late to workouts is a cardinal sin to some coaches.

Baseballparent23, don't worry about anyone else but your son.

Son imposed a rule on his pitchers. If you are late don't bother showing up, tomorrow the entire team will run while you watch. Sounds weird huh? 

It only happened to that one player last year in the fall.  

End of story!

Last edited by TPM
BaseballParent23 posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Side note to this whole local D2 story.....his good friend and training partner from last year in high school, the kid is a year older than my son, was recruited by this same local D2. Said friend got the entire deal that my son is hoping to get- just a small baseball scholarship to top off his academic schollys so he can afford that school. So said kid starts his first college year off showing up late to early morning workouts because he can't get himself up in time, gets suspended from the team for a month. Now, all the coaches know my son and this guy are good friends. I suspect that the coaches may be thinking that they do not want another player like that and think my son may have those same bad habits. My son is the more motivated of the two, he is more the punctual and reliable one, but they  don't know that.  The whole thing made my son mad because friend has what son is dreaming about and just pissed all over it. So, would that really play a part in the mind of coaches? Or would they not think that much of it?  If so, is there anything my son could or should say that could show that his behavior isn't the same as friend, without throwing friend under the bus?

My 2018 had a similar issue, except his friend went to an out of state D2 for one semester and transferred after getting picked up for two DUIs and possession while underage. Coach still offered my son. Coaches never seemed,d to make blanket assumptions. 

joes87 posted:
BaseballParent23 posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Thanks Buckeye,

I emailed the local D2 about their camp

Your son should be the emailing the coach. It will reflect a lot better on him if he is doing it and not his mom or dad. 

Yes, totally agree, that's not my place. My 2018 is good about speaking with the coaches, especially that school.  My question to the school was regarding my younger son, and the coach (assistant coach in charge of the camp) offered the statement about seeing both of my boys. My younger one is going to do his first camp.  It will be fun to see them on the same field. It's only happened once during fall when the HS JV fall team that my 2022/8th grader was allowed to play with was mixed in with the varsity players, then broken up for a scrimmage. Both of my boys pitched that night. The older one stunk it up, the younger one cleaned house. At the end, 2022 was playing CF and was able to catch 2018's fly ball for the last out. Loved seeing the smack talk after that. So much fun! Sure wish they could play together more.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.