Skip to main content

It’s an awful, panicky feeling to know the ball is up there somewhere and you can’t find it. Usually the next fielder over has a better angle on the view and makes the play or guides you there and you eventually see the ball.

One time this happened to me I didn’t see the ball until it was too late. The centerfielder didn’t pick up the ball either. I ended up looking foolish making a diving attempt on a routine fly ball. It landed about three feet from me for a standup double. But the season wasn’t on the line.

I had three thoughts in this order last night …

1) Stanford won! I like the program.

2) I felt bad for the right fielder.

3) Texas doesn’t get to go to the CWS and act like arrogant arses.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

It’s an awful, panicky feeling to know the ball is up there somewhere and you can’t find it. .

I've seen this happen many times in high school and college level stadiums. They are not big-league stadiums. They do not have the same lighting. The ball goes up above the lights and disappears into the night. Look at any high school or college stadium you been in. The lights are on poles. They are all pointed down at the field. If the ball goes up above those poles guess what, disappears into the night.

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad

I've seen this happen many times in high school and college level stadiums. They are not big-league stadiums. They do not have the same lighting. The ball goes up above the lights and disappears into the night. Look at any high school or college stadium you been in. The lights are on poles. They are all pointed down at the field. If the ball goes up above those poles guess what, disappears into the night.

Over the course of high school, college and summer ball I lost the ball several times. The one time previous mentioned is the only time I didn’t recover. The ball getting above the lights is exactly what happens. You rely on the outfielder next to you to have a better angle, see the ball and guide you to it if he can’t get there.

Last edited by RJM

Richard G West is a fake reporter who stirs the pot.  Check things out before you post them.  This is how all this stuff starts.  Should the kid have done it?   No.  But as has been said about a lot of people.  You can mess up in 30 seconds what it will take 30 years to fix.  Social media has changed that 1000 times over without a heart.   There are a lot of great college athletes, who in the midst of the emotion do something stupid.

@baseballhs posted:

May be  time to class it up a little bit. I definitely don’t mind celebration but at some point the cocky, taunting and arrogance has just gotten out of hand.

The situation has become out of control. I remember a few years ago in the Super Series BC and Miami almost broke out in a fight. Miami was way over the top several times in the series.

Now the NCAA has over reacted. Getting tossed and suspended for coming ten feet out of the dugout with a home run necklace is absurd.

But collectively the players brought it in themselves along with the coaches for not stopping it.

I don’t disagree that there’s an overreaction, but if coaches aren’t having the conversation that the players represent the university and the fan base, and that they need to do so appropriately, then that is a failure on the coaches part. I have a feeling a lot fewer “mistakes” would be made if players knew that there would be repercussions.

@SwingIt posted:

Richard G West is a fake reporter who stirs the pot.  Check things out before you post them.  This is how all this stuff starts.  Should the kid have done it?   No.  But as has been said about a lot of people.  You can mess up in 30 seconds what it will take 30 years to fix.  Social media has changed that 1000 times over without a heart.   There are a lot of great college athletes, who in the midst of the emotion do something stupid.

It doesn’t matter who Richard G West is or whether or not you think he is legitimate. He posted a picture of something I saw happen on national TV with my own eyes. Even if the kid doesn’t get punished for this incident, it represents the exact type of taunting behavior that is poisoning athletic competitions. That’s why there is an emphasis on reigning in actions like those. Kids have been warned about this. Coaches have been warned about this. AD’s have been warned about this. The game is not about promoting hype. The game is supposed to be played with respect for your opponent and with good sportsmanship. I agree that social media is a big contributor to the problem. But I don’t need to “check this situation out” before I post about it. So you can take a guess where you can stick that comment. I know the difference between what is acceptable behavior on the baseball field and what isn’t. Apparently there are plenty of others that don’t. Including Tony Vitello - who I have nothing against personally. I have spoken to him before and I liked him. I just don’t like the on the field behavior of his team. And I’m not alone.

@TPM posted:

Agree with above statement. I don't know of anyone who thinks that Tony V and his team's behavior is acceptable.

So you got onto PF for speaking badly of another team but now you do the same.  Do as I say not as I do much?   I believe your son’s team has some very similar behaviors.  But that doesn’t count right?   And if I remember Sully got ejected twice in one season a few years ago.  Pot/kettle?  

@fishnsail posted:

interesting stuff on here lately..
which brings a question that has always been on my mind.

A missed pop up..lost in lights/sun/wind and not touched..

should be an Error..

not sure why this has always been this way...

it is bogus...

Disagree. An error is committed when a player makes a physical mistake that results in a hitter reaching base. Lights, wind, sun are external factors that can impact a play, but when they do it has never been (and shouldn’t be) defined as a physical mistake for the fielder. Sucks for pitchers tho.

That was a really great game.  Very fun to watch

Double that with Florida's come from behind against UVA.  Freaking outstanding!  I lost a personal bet in 2015 because of UVA, and I had to eat meatloaf.  Not a fan of either.   Florida did to UVA what UVA typically does to other teams.   Both games were great if you are a just a regular ol' Joe-college-baseball-fan. 

@adbono posted:

Wow! Florida exceeds the number of allowable mound visits and has to pull their All American closer in the bottom of the 8th inning w/ the bases loaded in a 5-3  ballgame in the CWS! Wow!

Kevin O'Sullivan took full responsibility for what happened and apologized to his team. I am not sure of details but after the OR starter was replaced he got a warning when heading back to the dug out. That warning goes out to both teams. It started to get crazy. Then Riopelle got HBP again and probably things got testy.

I thought that the  umpire was supposed to tell the coach if he had any mound visits left.

So instead of making excuses Sully took full responsibility.

The good story of the game that wasn't  mentioned here but all over the news was that Neely was replaced with Cade Fisher, a true freshman, who is younger and smarter to figure out on his own what he needed to do to get his team a win against 24,25 year olds.

Last edited by TPM
@TPM posted:

Kevin O'Sullivan took full responsibility for what happened and apologized to his team. I am not sure of details but after the OR starter was replaced he got a warning when heading back to the dug out. That warning goes out to both teams. It started to get crazy. Then Riopelle got HBP again and probably things got testy.

He's SO lucky they didn't blow that game due to his mismanagement.

@TPM posted:

I thought that the  umpire was supposed to tell the coach if he had any mound visits left.

So instead of making excuses Sully took full responsibility.

The good story of the game that wasn't  mentioned here but all over the news was that Neely was replaced with Cade Fisher, a true freshman, who is younger and smarter to figure out on his own what he needed to do to get his team a win against 24,25 year olds.

Players bailed the coaches out for sure. Sometimes a situation like this will galvanize a team. Florida is already in the driver’s seat in their bracket but I like their chances even better now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.