Skip to main content

It’s regionals. Most fans who were going to go are still going.

If this is the case, then it’s an inconvenience or costing fans more $$$ at most (which is still not fair but not uncommon and not a big deal in the whole scheme of things). But we are all just speculating here (including me). We really don’t know the impact to the teams and their fans.  And like someone posted above, looks like KY was totally transparent and it was NCAA that went with it.

The 6pm to 9pm window of games has been awesome. Good thing the tv is 65 inches. Squeeze Play had four and sometimes five games on the screen at a time.

When there were specific moments I wanted a better view I hit that game on the scoreboard on the ESPN app on my iPad.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

Reminder for anyone who forgot or doesn’t know …

ESPN+ has Squeeze Play. It’s Red Zone for the regionals. They show up to four games at a time or zone in on big moments.

Thank you thank you thank you for introducing me to Squeeze Play!!!  This is much better than March Madness.  It's been amazing with the games last night and especially tonight.  I canceled my ESPN+ subscription after the conference tournament.  My subscription expires June 9.  Will all super regionals be on ESPN cable or will some be in ESPN+?  Is Squeeze Play good to have for super regionals?  If so, I may have to extend 1 more month....

@atlnon posted:

Thank you thank you thank you for introducing me to Squeeze Play!!!  This is much better than March Madness.  It's been amazing with the games last night and especially tonight.  I canceled my ESPN+ subscription after the conference tournament.  My subscription expires June 9.  Will all super regionals be on ESPN cable or will some be in ESPN+?  Is Squeeze Play good to have for super regionals?  If so, I may have to extend 1 more month....

There are too many games (eight) to do them all on the ESPNs. You need ESPN+.

Oklahoma State and Auburn, both hosts, are eliminated.  So home fans, comforts of home, etc. don't mean everything after all... excellent point. It has nothing to do with winning because you slept in your own bed. Nonsense.

Excellent observation. Comfort has little to do with it. Being uncomfortable and having to work harder at your job does. JMO.

There are a lot of regional hosts that went into the losers bracket yesterday.

Postseason play is unpredictable. Anything can happen in one at bat, one inning, one game, one weekend, or one month. Stars can shine but it’s often unheralded players that are heroes. Literally anything can happen. It often comes down to which teams want to keep playing and which want to go home. Or who catches lightning in a bottle. And that can be totally independent of who is hosting, rankings, etc. It’s all part of what makes the postseason so exciting.

@OskiSD posted:

Go Quakers! 2nd straight year an Ivy reaches a regional final (Columbia lost to Va Tech in '22). Get her done boys.

Bunch of players from Westchester, NY having a moment in both CWS and MLB.  For the latter, George Kirby from Rye looks to have reached All-Star status in short order.  

For the CWS, Owen Coady hails from my town of Mamaroneck, NY and is a great young kid.  Currently one of the senior pitchers for Penn lighting it up.

From a few miles up north in Westchester is Joey Vetrano, who plays for BC.  Kid was a big 2 way prospect, but felt like he was more set up as a pitcher.  Ran into a BC scout before he left and the guy said he saw more upside from him as a hitter.  Well, looks like he was right.  He's on an insane tear in the Regionals, 5 for 9, 4 HR's 8 RBI's

Last edited by Wechson
@adbono posted:

Postseason play is unpredictable. Anything can happen in one at bat, one inning, one game, one weekend, or one month. Stars can shine but it’s often unheralded players that are heroes. Literally anything can happen. It often comes down to which teams want to keep playing and which want to go home. Or who catches lightning in a bottle. And that can be totally independent of who is hosting, rankings, etc. It’s all part of what makes the postseason so exciting.

And right on cue here is what Tre Richardson, who had 2 HRs all year, did today in TCU’s demolition of Arkansas: not one but 2 grand slams and 2 run homer. Three HRs and 10 rbi. Not a bad day!

Ya'll can thank us for that at THE UT.  But that has gotten out of hand with the penalties.  We still have fur coat and cap and it gets as much attention now as when we brought it 5 feet out of the press box so their rule is just stupid.  I don't see how any of that stuff is showing up another team.  Not the fur coat and cap, sledgehammers, necklaces, hot dogs, cones on heads and the other stuff.  It is just fun for the team and almost everyone has one they just have to keep it at the edge of the steps or dugout now.  Silly.

Been some great, unexpected games this year, and they are still going on today (Monday).   Love this time of year!

Still trying to understand the NCAA selection committee's mind set with brackets, seedings, conference allocations, and locations.  Self-interest is alive and well in the Power 5.   This committee whiffed mightily in 2023....we're talking a big ol' Bugs Bunny swing.   Wondering to myself if there needs to be some type of oversight, but knowing that will never, ever happen.  Always rooting for the mid-majors that get a shot at moving on.

Explain the P5 self-interest.  Not arguing completely just asking.  I think there is a lot of self-interest and NCAA as a whole trying to push an agenda.  There should be a very clear list of what they will determine when seeding and hosting and it should be posted on NCAA site not an agenda of a group of people in a room.  Just make it clear.  We will use winning record, SOS, or whatever but it should be clear so that you can schedule that way and know at the end we are in or out and we are hosting or not.

We sit here right now not knowing who will host if Southern Miss wins today and no one can say what the qualifiers are.  I can guarantee UT fans are Penn fans today just so we host. So UT is definitely Ivie fans today.  But I say sometimes you don't get what you think you want.

I think it was last year I heard when teams come out of the loser’s bracket to the championship round if they win the first one 75% of the time they win both games. It’s probably due to top teams that get upset and have to come through the loser’s bracket.

Did you know there are states where they have banned the use of the word loser’s bracket for high school sports? It hurts feelings. My belief is losing the second time hurts more feelings.

If your team is in the lower or second chance bracket is there anyone who doesn’t know what it means? It means you lost a game.

Last edited by RJM

Tell me the committee does not have an agenda.  
2022-23 Committee Members.
Jay Artigues, Southeastern Louisiana University
Mike Buddie, U.S. Military Academy
Sherard Clinkscales, Indiana State University
John Cohen (chair), Auburn University
Mark Harlan, University of Utah
Kirby Hocutt, Texas Tech University
Matt Hogue, Coastal Carolina University
William (Bill) McGillis, University of San Diego
Nathan (Nate) Pine, U.S. Air Force Academy
Scott Wetherbee, Eastern Michigan University

interesting that three of them hosted

@PitchingFan posted:

Tell me the committee does not have an agenda.  
2022-23 Committee Members.
Jay Artigues, Southeastern Louisiana University
Mike Buddie, U.S. Military Academy
Sherard Clinkscales, Indiana State University
John Cohen (chair), Auburn University
Mark Harlan, University of Utah
Kirby Hocutt, Texas Tech University
Matt Hogue, Coastal Carolina University
William (Bill) McGillis, University of San Diego
Nathan (Nate) Pine, U.S. Air Force Academy
Scott Wetherbee, Eastern Michigan University

interesting that three of them hosted

What agenda do they have?  I don’t understand how a 34-21 team is ranked so high and gets a regional. I don’t care what conference Auburn plays in. They only played .600 ball overall. That’s not a host record.

Saturday was awesome. Lot of good games. Some observations and thoughts

1. Higher seed should always be home unless they are coming out of the losers bracket. No point of seeds if there isn't an advantage to being the higher seed.

2. Had a feeling loser of Tenn/Clemson was going to dip out the next game. Hard to come back from that.

2. Thought Penn was going to lose a heartbreaker on Sun and then get destroyed today. Sun game was much closer than the final score showed and they held their own today. Southern Miss is in trouble. Penn is definitely tough, but they were very sloppy and didn't look great. Those games were way too close against an inferior and underperforming team.

3. There need to be more 2 bid conferences. Too many P5 teams who do not impress the entire year getting bids just because they play a more difficult schedule. I'm not saying every conference should have two reps but looking at it now, we have wins over 7 teams who won a game in a regional. We do not get a sniff unless we win our conf tournament. No way a school like FGCU should miss.

4. RPI needs overhaul. Way too much stock put into good losses and playing close against tough opponents. Make this make sense

Florida State: RPI 59, 23-31 (9-21 ACC)

FGCU: RPI 60, 42-18 (20-10 ASUN)

FGCU took series over FSU

5. Top 50 programs were the ones who did not go 2 and out in regional play. Nothing you can say will change my mind.

I agree with all.  Iffy on #3 but my answer is guarantee top 2 mid majors a host but not top 8 unless they truly warrant it.  
my main thing is there should be clear guidelines as to seeding and rank all teams 1-64 and fill in bracket.  Nothing overrides seeding    In situations like UT and USM, top seed hosts if qualify.  There should be minimum qualifications for hosting and berms or other SRO areas don’t count as seating.  The seating should be assigned 60% for hosts and 40% for visitors and 50/50 seating for non host games between teams playing.

@Consultant posted:

Use wood bats. With metal bats scouts take 40 feet off the distance and infielders play in Short  outfield. It is $$$. Reduce paying for a $$$ showcase and buy wood bats for your player. Study the game!

Bob

Are you aware how large and long term the contracts are universities have with suppliers? Wood bats ain’t gonna happen.

Last edited by RJM

So let's say you're in the administration of a smallish School whose baseball program might win a few games now and then, maybe win a conference Championship every once in awhile, and goes to the ncaa periodically. So you'd like to drum up a little support for the program, let's say get a few more people posting on their form. Well here's how you do it, you win your regular season conference title, win the conference Championship, get selected to host the regional, win that Regional, and then decline the right to host the Super Regional because the Special Olympics are coming to town that weekend. That will surely generate a lot of interest in what was a little used fourm. Of course most of them are going to be calling for your resignation or firing.....

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.