Skip to main content

@atlnon posted:

After all the conversation about KY hosting in spite of issues with accommodations, thoughts on ISU voluntarily giving up hosting a super regional?  Could they not have done what KY did and hosted TCU in their dorms?

@atlnon

Are you aware that ISU did not bid on a super regional because of a yearly event they host for the Special Olympics? It wasn't about dorms but use of the field. Let's not hear about how they knew in advance, just like KY did about the festival.

My thoughts. Kudos to ISU for winning and for hosting a great organization year in and year out. With all that I have read about them, I definetly can understand why they have a winning program!

@TPM posted:

@atlnon

Are you aware that ISU did not bid on a super regional because of a yearly event they host for the Special Olympics? It wasn't about dorms but use of the field. Let's not hear about how they knew in advance, just like KY did about the festival.

My thoughts. Kudos to ISU for winning and for hosting a great organization year in and year out. With all that I have read about them, I definetly can understand why they have a winning program!

When I read ISU's press release, they didn't mention use of the field.  They specifically mentioned lack of hotel accommodation in the area and challenges in getting staff to support the super regional.  My question is around the first point.  While they mentioned "lack of hotel space to handle the accommodations required to host the visiting team", they didn't say that the dorm accommodations approach is also not possible bec it's being used for the special Olympics.  Their press release reads as "there are no hotel accommodations in the area bec of special Olympics, and while our dorms are available, we are not pursuing that option".

The staff availability is another issue altogether.  I would think this is easier to figure out but I don't know enough to comment on this.

@atlnon posted:

When I read ISU's press release, they didn't mention use of the field.  They specifically mentioned lack of hotel accommodation in the area and challenges in getting staff to support the super regional.  My question is around the first point.  While they mentioned "lack of hotel space to handle the accommodations required to host the visiting team", they didn't say that the dorm accommodations approach is also not possible bec it's being used for the special Olympics.  Their press release reads as "there are no hotel accommodations in the area bec of special Olympics, and while our dorms are available, we are not pursuing that option".

The staff availability is another issue altogether.  I would think this is easier to figure out but I don't know enough to comment on this.

I'm with you.  I took it as a shot at Kentucky that we are smart and care enough to provide an adequate situation for the game.  Not just do it for the money.

And to clarify, I don't have an issue with what ISU did, nor with what KY did (esp when it came out that they are totally transparent to NCAA).  I'm really just curious in understanding the "whys" behind the 2 different approaches, and what is acceptable to NCAA (and what is not).  If ISU really cared more about making sure the super regional event is handled properly, and that they can handle the special Olympics in the best way possible, at the expense of their baseball team and the self interest of the university, then kudos to them.

If KY deems that hosting the regionals and accommodating the teams in the dorms, and making it harder for fans to find accommodations does not outweigh the benefit to their baseball team (and their self interest), and they are totally transparent with NCAA, then I don't have an issue with it.  I would, however, laud ISU more for their decision to put their self interest second - not that it matters to anyone...

>I'm hearing this was Dr. Curtis call and the athletics department is falling on the sword to (attempt to) save face.<

Go here for a local perspective.

https://sycamorepride.com/thre...uper-regional.44774/

Wow.....there are some very unhappy ISU fans....as they should be.   I can't believe that ISU didn't have a contingency plan in place.  They have been being discussed as a regional host for months.  I get it...they probably knew they'd be a lower seed and likely not hosting a Super but you can't do this kind of thing to your players, fans & community.  This is a once in a lifetime event for most of these players & fans.  Just ridiculous that they didn't have something worked out.   There had to be a field available somewhere.  I'm sure some city in IN would have been happy to help.  The Fort Wayne Tincaps are out of town this weekend.  Super could have been moved there....it's a fantastic facility and plenty of hotels and restaurants within walking distance.   It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the ISU community.  People are already calling for the President to resign over this (though she has already announced her retirement.

I heard they had the rooms reserved for the visiting team but decided after searching there were not enough rooms for the visiting fans or theirs.  They decided they would not do that to their fans or the visiting fans.  Humble but great call if that is the case.  They could have moved it to Kentucky.  They hotel rooms available THIS weekend.

IDK, it's probably less than an hour drive, depending on traffic, from Plainfield, on the west side of Indy to Terre Haute. Plenty of hotel rooms there. When I go visit the daughter in Dallas a 10 mile trip through downtown traffic can take 40 minutes. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit but you get the point. If I had to guess, it would be no one in the administration gave a second thought to them winning so no planning was put in place in case they did. And when they had to come up with a on the spot answer they couldn't so they just said no.

If I had to guess, it would be no one in the administration gave a second thought to them winning so no planning was put in place in case they did.

This is the part that troubles me the most.  I felt negatively towards KY when they did what they did to host regionals.  But honestly, I now appreciate how hard they tried and how creative they were for their student athletes and their team, esp when it came out that they were totally transparent to NCAA, compared to ISU not trying at all (per speculation here).  Funny how 1 week changed my perspective completely on KY....

The AD held a press conference. A few things of note. He withdrew the application to host the SR May 27, so yeah, he didn't think we could win. Given his demeanor during the press conference I would assume there was no bigger Iowa fan in The Bob Sunday night than him. It's more likely than not people are going to lose their jobs over this (he made mention of all the donors he's heard from) . It would seem to me that the only way out of this for the AD and/or the President is a trip to the CWS.

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad
@TPM posted:

@atlnon

You ARE speculating. According to what I have been told and I mentioned this earlier, the NCAA obviously were aware and prepared. Only programs that put in a bid were considered.

In the meantime, Special Olympics got some good press and TCU fans are donating.

Yeah, but that's what this forum is for, to share our thoughts and speculation.  That way, we have others that can share more info that we don't have to help us get a better understanding and change our perspective.  You did that when you shared that KY was totally transparent in their bid that they submitted to NCAA.  Now, SomeBaseballDad is sharing his unique perspective and insight being involved in the program to help shed light on this confusing turn of events.

@atlnon posted:

Yeah, but that's what this forum is for, to share our thoughts and speculation.  That way, we have others that can share more info that we don't have to help us get a better understanding and change our perspective.  You did that when you shared that KY was totally transparent in their bid that they submitted to NCAA.  Now, SomeBaseballDad is sharing his unique perspective and insight being involved in the program to help shed light on this confusing turn of events.

Isn’t it amazing how perspectives can change when the facts are known?!?

@adbono posted:

Isn’t it amazing how perspectives can change when the facts are known?!?

My perspective has not changed because I have personally talked to parents or active players from two of the three teams and Kentucky did not live up to what they sent to NCAA.  It was ultimately a disgrace that teams would get to that level and have to stay in those conditions.  

Last edited by PitchingFan
@bebop2019 posted:

Anyone following the D3 College World Series?

I am.  My son plays for W&L in the ODAC.  Said all year it was toughest conference in the country.  For most of the year Shenandoah was ranked higher than Lynchburg.  But Lynchburg’s pitching has been extraordinary in t he post season.  

One source of parental pride. My son who is coming back from TJ only threw a few innings this season.  But one of them was against Lynchburg and he took them out 1,2,3 :-)

Pulling for Lynchburg. Salisbury and Hopkins kind of have a rivalry. (But I would not be petty enough to bring up that they haven't hit one HR in their 5 games at Cedar Rapids after leading all of D3 in the regular season. )

First, congrats to Lynchburg on a great season and an impressive CWS run.

On the HRs front, I did the math (quickly, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

Average 2023 Hopkins team HR/game at home (Babb field in Baltimore): 1.65 [corrected below to 1.87]

Average 2023 Hopkins team HR/game at other fields: 1.5

The team played 31 games at Babb this year.  A 0.15 difference per game x 31 games = an extra 4.65 HRs on the season.

Babb Field is an urban park and it's smaller than most down the lines.  But that doesn't mean the guys on Hopkins 2023 team didn't rake this year (including 4 HRs in the CWS final games).

EDIT:  I already see a mistake in my numbers, which brings the figure 1.87 HRs per game at home, not 1.65. 

Last edited by Chico Escuela

They can talk about the great facilities at USM but in a lightning storm they send our players to hang out under metal bleachers.  In between games in a super regional today this is where our team had to hang out for an hour and a half.   If you don’t have adequate facilities to adequately host both teams, then you should not be eligible to host.   They only have 2500 seats and 95% of those are metal bleachers like a cheap football field.  No chair backs.  Tell me again NCAA that USM facilities are better than UTs. SRO is not seats.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by PitchingFan
@PitchingFan posted:

They can talk about the great facilities at USM but in a lightning storm they send our players to hang out under metal bleachers.  In between games in a super regional today this is where our team had to hang out for an hour and a half.   If you don’t have adequate facilities to adequately host both teams, then you should not be eligible to host.   They only have 2500 seats and 95% of those are metal bleachers like a cheap football field.  No chair backs.  Tell me again NCAA that USM facilities are better than UTs. SRO is not seats.

I don’t get this. Why should the decision of who should host be based on who has better facilities? Shouldn’t it be based purely on some kind of ranking based on their regular season performance? I agree that having  facilities and accommodations that meets a min standard should be needed to determine who can host. But after that, shouldn’t it be based on rankings? I don’t get all the comments from TN fans complaining they should host bec they have nicer facilities. It honestly sounds very elitist to someone like me who’s just starting to follow college baseball closely. Am I missing something here?

how about this. We won better games. We’re ranked higher.  Higher rpi.  But the reasoning the ncaa gave was USM had better facilities and sat more which is both a lie.  How about just say because we wanted the team with the dad on the committee, a retiring coach, and a mid major to host.  Just be truthful.  Don’t lie and then ESPN back up the lie.  SRO are not seats.  Per Standing Room Only.  Those areas should not be counted.  Build bleachers and put seats on them.  

@atlnon posted:

I don’t get this. Why should the decision of who should host be based on who has better facilities? Shouldn’t it be based purely on some kind of ranking based on their regular season performance? I agree that having  facilities and accommodations that meets a min standard should be needed to determine who can host. But after that, shouldn’t it be based on rankings? I don’t get all the comments from TN fans complaining they should host bec they have nicer facilities. It honestly sounds very elitist to someone like me who’s just starting to follow college baseball closely. Am I missing something here?

You are not missing anything.  100% more than reasonable.  This is not a college facilities playoff....it is a baseball game playoff measured by regular season wins and losses not the comfort, capacity, or political juice of the AD/President/Conference.  There has to be an element of baseball performance during the regular season that determines who hosts post-season.  This gives the non-P5 programs who have performed well a path to the CWS.  If you want to host a regional or super regional the best way to do that is to win.  JMO.

@PitchingFan posted:

how about this. We won better games. We’re ranked higher.  Higher rpi.  But the reasoning the ncaa gave was USM had better facilities and sat more which is both a lie.  How about just say because we wanted the team with the dad on the committee, a retiring coach, and a mid major to host.  Just be truthful.  Don’t lie and then ESPN back up the lie.  SRO are not seats.  Per Standing Room Only.  Those areas should not be counted.  Build bleachers and put seats on them.  

Yes, I totally do not have a problem if the argument is about who's a better team (better games, ranked higher, better RPI, etc.).  I also do not follow the details enough to know that the primary reason NCAA chose USM to host is bec of better facilities (not sure what "sat" means).  If so, I guess it now makes more sense to me why TN fans all over the place are dissing on USM's facilities.  Just a suggestion, when you all (TN fans) complain and look down on USM's facility (and the City of Hattiesburg and the people that lives there), maybe try to always add the context of why you are doing so (bec NCAA chose USM bec of the facilities).  And I know you didn't do this, but maybe the other TN fans should layoff on dissing the City itself (lack of Applebees for example), and the people that lives there.  It's really a bad look on TN fans with everything I am seeing on social media and was even surprised to see it here in the forum from you.

@PitchingFan posted:

ok i will rephase, don't finish 4th in your division and cry about not hosting....bottom line UT didn't get it done this year and can look themselves in the mirror. they aren't dead yet just being slightly inconvenienced having to go on the road to beat some unworthy opponent instead of having a spot handed to them.

The sheer arrogance of the SEC is amazing.

*Edit - Espn spends most of its broadcast time lying about something so it should not be a surprise they would back up a story like this!!

Last edited by old_school

Atlnon, I have not and won’t trash the city or people and did not mean to trash USM.  It really is not them, but the NCAA.  But when you get to a super regional, which is one step away from Omaha, the facilities should be elite or, as you said, you should play it at a neutral site.  When you compare schedules, I don’t think it is really close because the only SEC teams they played were Ole Miss and Mississippi State, and they lost both of those who were the bottom of the SEC this year,
We swept Vanderbilt and Texas A&M,, beat Kentucky, beat South Carolina and took one game from LSU and Florida. We also got swept by Arkansas   At one point we played top 5 teams 6 weeks in a row. Our really bad weekend was the first weekend of the SEC season where we got swept by Missouri in Missouri and 38° weather having replaced all eight fielders from last year.  But they considered our schedules equal.  So the NCAA said they went off facilities and fan accommodations so that is why some UT fans are trashing the city of Hattiesburg.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.