Skip to main content

Joe Morgan a great example for the 5'7" players with a 6th Tool.

Joe was a "great" example of 6th Tool. https://www.mlb.com/news/joe-morgan-dies

We had an opportunity to visit at Candlestick Park in 1980. Jim Lefebvre, Giants Coach had a large truck tire for Joe and Jack Clark with a rope around their waist to drag for 50' to improve their 1st step quickness.

Bob

Last edited by Consultant
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bob: I always enjoyed watching Joe Morgan, his smile, intensity, and knowledge of the game which he took into the broadcast booth. Though I grew up in PA, I was more a follower of the Big Red Machine than the Pirates (And Indians from the other league). I loved watching his aggressive baserunning. Morgan was probably the first undersized (height) second basemen that I watched with interest. I know Dusty Baker said the closest player to Morgan playing now is Altuve.  I was short as well and played his position much when I played games in the neighborhood.  My affinity for fleet second basemen continues to this date, as I'm following another undersized (5'10") speedy second baseman, making his way through the minors. 

R.I.P #8

Geez, can't remember a year like this as far as major sports figures lost...

Don Larsen, Pete Dye, Kobe, Mickey Wright, Curly Neal, Tom Dempsey, Al Kaline, Doug Sanders, Don Shula, Phyllis George, Jerry Sloan, Eddie Sutton, Pat Dye, Wes Unseld, Johnny Majors, Jim Kiick, Lou Henson, Lute Olson, John Thompson, Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Gale Sayers, Bob Gibson, Whitey Ford, Joe Morgan...

Feels like the golden era of sports is quickly disappearing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.