Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As everyone knows and previous posts have noted, this could possibly be the toughest district in the State.

Coppell would appear to be the clear favorite but no one is giving "much love" to Southlake Carroll. After making a run to the 5A finals last year, I think they've got 6 of 8 position starters back. The question mark will be pitching. They lost both starters (Stripling and Cunningham) and their closer (Toal) from last year.
Beast and DD,

Believe me Coppell and the other 4 teams in the 6-5A are well aware that Southlake always competes in every sport.

The 3 district games per opponent format should have all 4 team ready to play in the playoffs. Which 4 teams get in the playoffs is the real question and I think 2 very good team will be left on the outside looking in.

As for Coppell, the winter has gone well and the young men are really working hard....but what I see coming out of that hardwork is a level of team chemistry that Coppell teams haven't reached in a few years. That should help them play to they abilities. I don't want to sandbag, so I'll tell you that I think Coppell will be one of the four teams that gets into the playoff but I don't care if it is at #1 or #4.

I hope that some of the Flower Mound faithful start to post here again this year so that we can hear there opinions, they are missed.
Last edited by ACowboyFan
First of all, this is a 6-Team District. That means that they will play each other 3 times each which makes for interesting discussions.

The teams are as follows (in alphabetical order):

Coppell
Flower Mound
FM Marcus
Hebron
Lewisville
Southlake

In the 2008 5A Playoffs Coppell, Flower Mound, and Southlake finished in the sweet 16 with FMHS losing to SL in the Elite 8 and SL losing in the state championship game.

-Coppell - returning at least 8 seniors - returning 5 position starters and have six(6)D1 early commits. Also returning their All District pitcher. They will be a tough team to play this year. (2008 Regional Semi-Finalist)
-Flower Mound - returning at least 15 seniors - returning 5 position starters and have three(3)D1 early commits and a few other JUCO/D2 commits as well. They lost their #1 pitcher from last year but they don't rebuild-they just reload. (2008 Regional Finalist)
-Flower Mound Marcus - returning at least 15 seniors - a new head coach has the team believing. Talent should be pretty good.
-Hebron - returning at least 7 seniors - they are always a good team and their head coach will have them ready as always.(2008 Playoffs - lost to SL in first round)
-Lewisville - returning at least 6 seniors - they lost their premier pitcher and I'm not sure who will take up the slack. (2008 Playoffs - lost to Keller in first round)
-Southlake - returning at least 8 seniors - lost their premier pitchers but as usual, they will just reload as well. (2008 State Finalist)

IMHO, this District is arguably the toughest you will see in the 2009 season. Teams advancing to the playoffs from 6-5A should be "tournament hardened", if not worn down, after that schedule.

Best of luck to all these teams!
Last edited by NTXDAD
Those awards (mostly summer stuff) mean nothing now. "All Americans"? There is no doubt that Coppell has many fine players. The two "All Americans" are very good athletes and great kids that should step up as quiet leaders. But one hasn't had much varsity success. They both may be all-world this year, but summer and pre-season accolades won't get it done against their rivals. I believe Coppell will win the district. I think they will have to get contributions from the "little people" --- their bench, subs, role players, etc. IMO, Kettler is their best player. As always, this lineup's success will depend on how the stars handle backwards pitching, breaking balls, bad calls, slumps, bumps and bruises, etc. Are they tough enough?

Before anyone comes down on me here, I like these kids a lot. I think the Cowboys may be the most talented team in the state. They will be fun to watch in this tough district.
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
Those awards (mostly summer stuff) mean nothing now. "All Americans"? There is no doubt that Coppell has many fine players. The two "All Americans" are very good athletes and great kids that should step up as quiet leaders. But one hasn't had much varsity success. They both may be all-world this year, but summer and pre-season accolades won't get it done against their rivals. I believe Coppell will win the district. I think they will have to get contributions from the "little people" --- their bench, subs, role players, etc. IMO, Kettler is their best player. As always, this lineup's success will depend on how the stars handle backwards pitching, breaking balls, bad calls, slumps, bumps and bruises, etc. Are they tough enough?

Before anyone comes down on me here, I like these kids a lot. I think the Cowboys may be the most talented team in the state. They will be fun to watch in this tough district.

Is that back peddling or moon walking?
Smile
Last edited by Danny Boydston
quote:
Those awards (mostly summer stuff) mean nothing now

PantherDad, I see where you're coming from, but they don't hand those awards out to people that don't have exceptional talent. Yes those awards don't mean anything about if they'll succeed or not. However, it does show that they have enough potential to predict them as the district winners, which is what this thread was about.
quote:
I always go back and forth and end up being nice. I don't think they will win state. Shhhhhhh!

WOW - PD that is going out on a limb, brave, brave man.

Talk about pet peeves,so you want to throw the whole team of talented young men that have produced at the varsity level for multiple years by the way side because you think one young man hasn't shown how good he is on the HS field. ??????

That young man is very well thought of by all the scouts and by his team mates...you're better than that...to steal a phase from Coach English.

I don't know if Coppell will win state but if they lose it will because they get beat by a better team not because they failed to show-up.

6-5A will be a war but I think the 4 teams that make it out will be very tough on every team they face....out side their league in the playoffs.

By the way it was Coppell that lost to Southlake in 2 one run games last year in the playoffs so the margin of difference was very close last year just as I assume it will be this year.
Come on, CowboyFan, those players you mentioned along with most of the Coppell team have received numerous accolades here and other, more noteworthy, places. And obviously, top D-1 colleges thought enough of them to offer 6 of them early scholarship offers. I feel certain others on that team are weighing offers as well.

But when someone posts that a HS player is an All-American, they are just inviting some smart-$%& remarks. There is no All-American list anywhere for HS kids that would hold water. No one group of people has seen even 1% of players across the country to be able to evaluate them.

Coppell has more talent depth than virtually any team in DFW that I can think of. They will get their chance to prove themselves in the post season.

A tough district to prepare them for the post season should leave them excuse-free if they come up short in the playoffs, right?
Tycho - Come on old girl, you know me better than that. I was just having some fun with PD.

As for All Americans coming out of high school, I actually beleive that a fair amount of the right people have seen enough of the right players to make that call.

I loved watching Tyler when I got the chance to come out to the games this summer. But even on a very good DBAT team, Slade was head and shoulders above the other players. That is no slight against any of the players and I don't think Slade was named as an All American but my point is that even on very good teams those people who judge talent can pick out the best and promote that talent....maybe that is what the scouts saw in the Coppell All Americans.

As for excuses, if or when Coppell loses there will no excues. They had none last year or the year before, in 2007 Midland Lee beat Cole Green when Cole Green had his A game, in 2008 Southlake exacuted better than Coppell and beat them...no excuses...better many of the players on the 2009 team were there and played on both the 2007 & 2008 teams which we hope helps them be better prepared to either win ...or have no excuses.
ACBF fka MD -- you sure read a lot into a single comment but I suppose that makes things interesting around here. Nice try on trying to introduce a little controversy. I threw a "whole team of talented young men.....by the way side"? Do all posters here have to kiss Coppell tail because they have a strong roster? Are their boosters that insecure? I suppose I did my share of that as well if you read the entire post. Oh and PSIII will be a Copperhead this summer....so I'll have to come up with a disguise.

Slade made the same prestigious AA team that your boys made.....I'm surprised you aren't up-to-date on that list. Unless you're referring to the UA team....and all I can say there is....ummm....look at that team closely and make your own conclusions. But accomlades for the Texas High kids carry the same weight as those received by others in the state.

Wasn't Kermit recently named "DBAT ALL-AMERICAN EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR" for the 3rd consecutive year? I know the voting was close (it may have been impacted by the recent merge).

<-- the man!

Can we get a few more to pick CC to win state? -- every one will feel better.

Cool

How's that Danny?
Last edited by Panther Dad
Good Morning PD,

Glad to see you can still take a joke....speaking of Kermit....

I didn't start nor do I want to create any controversy. For sometime now I have taken the positive approach to all my posts and cut way back on posting period. But at times I think it is important to defend the young men that play for Coppell and if you reread your comment you did focus on one young man - "But one hasn't had much varsity success." - your words exactly.

You are always welcome in Coppell, no need for a disguise.

As for Danny, he is doing fine thank you. He is back on the mound a couple times a week and his velocity is returning and he is throwing pain free. He will be fully ready at the start of the season to help the Coppell Cowboy in any way his coach asks him.

As for Slade and the AA lists, I was too busy this summer to keep track of much and I didn't even get to many games. I just know that at the events I did go to I could that some young men were head and shoulders above the others. That was especially true at the Stanford Camp, the players that played their games on the Sunken Diamond were there for a reason. So I still think those people that select those teams have a good idea of how to judge and compare talent to make an All American list.

As for 6-5A and who which team goes on to win state, that is way over my pay grade. I just know I will enjoy watching the All Americans play Smile Peace out!!!
I'm glad Danny is doing good -- they'll need him to make a contribution -- and I'm sure he will. I was unaware of his injury until recently. I hope it's behind him. I didn't exactly "focus" on one guy, except to say who I thought was the best overall player. My point about the other was in response to a previous post. JM is a very good player. His varsity "circumstances" are unique....so he'll have a chance to answer the bell. I think you know that I'm not the only old man around that has opinions on these guys.

quote:
Originally posted by ACowboyFan:
But even on a very good DBAT team, Slade was head and shoulders above the other players. That is no slight against any of the players

Slade is very talented and you have the right to your opinion....but head and shoulders? tychcobrat#1 is an average player, but there are several on that DBAT team that are as good or better than any of those All-Americans mentioned before. I guess the proof will be in the pudding...let's re-visit this topic in four years. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Linedrive5:
Look for Hebron to finish near the top. Very solid players that can hit. Johnny Mac, Payne, and others can swing the bat.

Southlake has lots of talent and will do well.

Fearless predictions:

Hebron
Coppell & Southlake
Marcus
FM
Lewisville

WOW! Picking FMHS to finish 5th? Can you enlighten us on why?

It's my understanding that they've been in 7 straight playoff appearances, won 4 District Championships, finished in the Final 8 last season and are returning 15 seniors.

I'm not saying finishing 5th is not possible, just wondering how you came to that conclusion? Is there some "internal" insight you have and care to share?
I think the Flower Mound folks are just reading all this and smiling a big Mona Lisa-type grin. They know that FMHS has more pitching than should be considered legal for a high school team. They have Chris Asing (Gonzaga signee), Shane Henderson and Logan Brunkenhoefer (Oklahoma State), and probably another hoss or two I'm not familiar with. Their JV starters would probably pitch for a lot of varsity clubs.

I don't know a lot about their bats, and I'm not much on predicting, but with arms like this, don't stay up tonight worrying about whether they will make the playoffs.
They'll mesh some experienced players with some first-year varsity players - pretty much what every other team in the area will be doing.

And yes, they will be competitive in this extremely tough district. The coaching staff, and the players themselves, will see to that.

Will competitive be enough to clinch one of the four playoff spots? That remains to be seen. What's interesting is playing each team three times this year because of the six-team district format.

Calling a district the toughest in the state is so subjective and so overused that it gets watered down after a while. But this is, without a doubt, one very difficult baseball district. That being said, I think those of us in the stands following any of the six teams in the district should find it to be an entertaining season.
As the head coach at Marcus, I am not stupid enough to make a prediction on my own district. However, I do have a few things to say about our district.

Is it the best baseball district in the state? Maybe. If it's not, it is real close. 8-5A would probably have a good argument as well as a couple of the districts in the Houston area.

Some interesting facts about this district.
***Every team but Marcus made the playoffs last year.
***4 of the 6 head coaches made it past the 1st round last year (I was at Mansfield Summit last year).
***Every head coach in this district has at least 200 career wins. I challenge anyone to find a district in the state that can say the same.
***Carroll knocked FMHS, Coppell and Hebron out of the playoffs last year (Lewisville the year before).
***Everyone is this district has won at least 1 playoff series in the last 4 years.

The district schedule format is great. Except the 1st and last playing date, everyone plays each other in a Tuesday/Friday home and home series. For instance, our schedule looks like this...

District Week 1
Lewisville/Highland Park Tournament
Week 2
Carroll/Carroll
Week 3
Coppell/Coppell
Week 4
Flower Mound/Flower Mound
Week 5
Hebron/Hebron
Week 6
Lewisville/Lewisville
Week 7 (everyone plays Tu., Fr., Sa., because TAKS is the following week)
Carroll/Coppell/Flower Mound
Week 8 (everyone plays on Fr., because it is TAKS week)
Hebron

...and oh, by the way, we play everyone Week 7 at their place!!! That is OK though, we'll turn the tables on everyone that week the following year.
quote:
Originally posted by Linedrive5:
Team D,

Good question. I don't think FM is bad or mediocre rather this is the consequence of being in the toughest district in the state. I think the top 5 teams in this district could finish much higher if placed in other districts. Both FM and Marcus will be good.

Team D,

What is your fearless prediction?

Here's how I think the 6-5A District will finish:

Coppell
FM/Southlake (to close to call)
Hebron/Marcus (to close to call)
Lewisville

So much talent, to little time......

Much like a few other posters, I too think Flower Mound HS is lurking in the wings just smiling and waiting to see who they can surprise. Time will tell but what a tough district!!
I just found this on the Houston 5A Baseball web site.

2009 Baseball USA / H5AB Rankings
January 15, 2009

Pre-Season - State of Texas Top 25
1. Plano West
2. Bellaire
3. Coppell
4. Klein
5. Flower Mound
6. The Woodlands
7. Houston Lamar
8. Spring Branch Memorial
9. San Antonio Reagan
10.Brazoswood
11.Katy
12.South Lake Carroll
13.Cypress Woods
14.Wylie
15.Sharyland
16.Klein Oak
17.Socorro
18.Alvin
19.McAllen
20.Georgetown
21.Lewisville Hebron
22.Atascocita
23.Rowlett
24.Katy J.E. Taylor
25.FW Paschal

With 4 teams from 6-5A in the preseason Top 21 teams, this district is arguably the toughest you will see in the 2009 season.

May the games begin!
Do any of the 6-5A teams play any of these other Top 25 teams in the early season tournaments?

Coppell plays is in the February 26th Baylor Medical but no "currently" listed top 25 teams are in the tournament.

Coppell heads to Austin to play in the Wsetwood Classic but don't see any Austin area team on the top 25 list...which I am sure will change.

Coppell also plays in the "Texas Cup" at Quik Trip Park. Any one know any of the teams in either of the those events?

One question, didn't Plano West graduate like 12 seniors? So why a number 1 rank? I am sure they are a good team and I don't mean anything by teh question, I am just looking to understand more about the Palno West team.
Southlake Carroll is playing in 3 tournaments:

Rock Hardball Classic - Round Rock (Feb 26-28)
None of the above Top 25 other than SLC in the field

Mid Cities Tournament (Mar 5-7)
Can't find a touorney schedule at this point

Frisco Tournament (Mar 12-14)
Don't have a 2009 schedule yet but last year field included SLC, Plano West, Wylie and Flower Mound
Marcus plays Klein Oak and Rowlett in the Highland Park Tournament, March 12-14.

Oh, and that poll has Socorro rated way, way, too low. They are without a doubt a Top 5 Preseason Team in the state based on who they return and how far they went. Last weekend in Waco when the coaches filled out our Preseason Regional Rankings, this is how I voted...

5A Region 1
1. El Paso Socorro
2. Coppell
3. Plano West
4. Flower Mound
5. South Lake Carroll

I based my rankings on who they have back and how far they went last year. I am sure there are some other deserving teams out there. Then again, preseason rankings in any sport are pretty meaningless. They are nothing more than fodder for talk radio, blogs and message boards.
From what I have seen last year it is not a big loss. FM looks to have plenty of other players that can easily move into that SS spot and they can also hit better. FM is not hurting for talent. Their folks just don't advertise what they have. Looking forward to traveling to DFW to see them play this year. Pitching IMO Marcus = Carter FM = Henderson, Brunkenhoefer, Asing
Last edited by FunToWatch

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.