Skip to main content

Originally Posted by SluggerDad:

Utley himself basically said that his intention wasn't to reach the base but to "put a body on the fielder" in order to break up the double play.  If you target the fielder and don't even make an attempt at the base, tell me how that is not interference?  Tell me how that is not unsportsmanlike conduct?

Because every major leaguer has exactly the same intent going into the bag. 

I agree with PG that Torre/MLB over reacted, which probably had a lot to do with all the commotion going on in the NY press over it. Had it been the other way around all of the NY papers and talk shows would have been saying that it was a "good hard play". From what I understand the Players Union will be showing pictures of multiple other "hard slides" that did not result in a suspension, I think they have a strong case.  

I also agree that the rule needs to be changed, or at least enforced within the language of the current rule. 

From what I read this morning the there is a good chance that Utley will play today because of the favorable match ups. That will be fun! I also hope they do not warn teams before the game and just let them play on. 

Last edited by BOF
Originally Posted by PGStaff:

The only possible reason for the suspension from MLB is that they believe the slide was illegal.  In other words they had to view the slide different than the umpires.

Even if the call would have been made and a double play called ending the inning.  I don't think there would have been a suspension.  Is there any precedence for this suspension?  

I can see how this was a tough call by the umpire.  I can see how one could see it as within the rules or how you could see it being against the rules.  Had Utley actually reached for the bag it would have been different IMO.  But his slide was so late, he was actually past the bag before his hand could have reached the ground.

Anyway, no matter what the call, I don't understand the suspension at all. Whether legal slide or not, the intent is to break up the DP and win the game.  When that happens there is always a chance that either the fielder or the runner or both are going to get hurt.

When we were young we were taught how to cleanly take out the MIF at 2B.  We were not taught this rolling block technique.

Probably like most everyone here, I have watched that video numerous times. In regular speed, slow motion, frame-by-frame and I guess I'm just seeing something different. Yes, it was a late slide. But, I see him reaching for the bag. His hand is actually over the bag when his head makes contact with Tejada's knee. That impact is what twisted their bodies and threw Utley in a strange direction past second base. He definitely would have ended up past 2nd even without the violent collision, but I think he would have touched the bag in the process of sliding (on his knees) past the bag.  Below are a couple pics I found. Please disregard the meme and the message in the 2nd pic. Its the best still shot I could find and I don't endorse the message.

It's definitely not his most egregious slide this season, as far as being out of the base path or away from the bag. The 3rd pic is from earlier this season and he has no hope of touching the bag at all, but there was no suspension. I just don't like the inconsistent message from the MLB. It's like an inconsistent strike zone. If you don't know the rules, then it's hard to play the game.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • utley
  • Utley3
  • Utley2
Originally Posted by kandkfunk:
Please disregard the meme and the message in the 2nd pic. Its the best still shot I could find and I don't endorse the message.

I like it.  It is true.  You can probably find 100 pictures of a BR breaking up the DP in which the runner is WAY further from the base than Utley was.  It was a freak accident on a play that happens many, many times during the regular season that you never even hear about.

Originally Posted by Smitty28:

Has anyone here ever seen a slide into 2nd base declared illegal or interference in MLB?  Is there even a precedent for this?

Calling this a "slide into second base" seems like a stretch to me.   It was hardly a slide.  And it certainly wasn't "into second base."    Look at how his  body touches  the fielder before making contact with the ground even and after he is almost completely past the bag.  This was an attempt to body tackle the fielder.  Period.  

Last edited by SluggerDad

He wasn't going into 2nd base?  Here's a picture directly down the 1st base line.  He is certainly going into 2nd base...

I really don't understand all the outrage.  I've said it before, I'll say it again - EVERY player is taught to break up the DP from the time he starts playing baseball.  How can you say that he should be called out because he was trying to "take out" the SS???  It's what EVERY runner does in this situation.  And there are plays in which the runner was WAY, WAY further away from the base than Utley was here.  Look at the 3rd picture in kandkfunk's post above.  Utley isn't anywhere near the bag, yet no one made a stink about it.

Maybe there needs to be a rule change.  Maybe some people feel that he shouldn't have gone in that hard.  But, he did not violate any rule.  He just didn't.  I think if you want to argue about this play, argue that the rules need to be changed.  Not that what Utley did was wrong.  In my opinion, if a player has a problem with this play, they are a hypocrite.  I guarantee EVERY MLB player has gone into 2nd trying to take out the MI to break up the DP.  It is a part of baseball.  

Has anyone here ever seen a slide into 2nd base declared illegal or interference in MLB?  Is there even a precedent for this?

This wasn't a" slide into second base."   It was hardly a slide.  And it certainly wasn't "into second base."    Look at how his  body touches  the fielder before making contact with the ground even and after he is almost completely past the bag.  This was an attempt to body tackle the fielder.  Period.  

By the same token, you could say this was an attempt to nail the runner with an ill timed spinning back round kick. Perhaps Tejada anticipated that Utley would attempt to take him out, and sought to teach him a lesson with his previously unknown ninja skills.  

Originally Posted by Rob T:

This wasn't a" slide into second base."   It was hardly a slide.  And it certainly wasn't "into second base."    Look at how his  body touches  the fielder before making contact with the ground even and after he is almost completely past the bag.  This was an attempt to body tackle the fielder.  Period.  

By the same token, you could say this was an attempt to nail the runner with an ill timed spinning back round kick. Perhaps Tejada anticipated that Utley would attempt to take him out, and sought to teach him a lesson with his previously unknown ninja skills.  

I thought Utley took a pretty good hit to the head in that collision. I was actually surprised that no trainer looked at him to check for a concussion.

Pedro Martinez talking about it today. His take is Tejada should have never turned his back to Utley because as nice as he is off the field he is ruthless on the field.  He personally didn't like the play. He more or less agreed he was out to tackle him.  Pedro loves the young kids, I can see why he thought it was unnecessary.

Also, the suspension was just a move to keep Utely off the field while in NY.  He is planning on retiring, so he will never see s suspension.  Oyt more or less was sending a message to everyone.

I have to agree with that point.

Originally Posted by Batty67:

Hell of a way for Utley to slide tackle his way into notoriety, er...retirement.

This is funny and simple minded, Utley is a class act and has been for years. If baseball had more like him the game would be a better sport. Quite possibly my favorite player ever. 

Smart, hustle, heady he played the game right 

Originally Posted by old_school:

Hell of a way for Utley to slide tackle his way into notoriety, er...retirement.

This is funny and simple minded, Utley is a class act and has been for years. If baseball had more like him the game would be a better sport. Quite possibly my favorite player ever. 

Yes. Like the time he scored from second on a groundout to the pitcher. It's about halfway into this 2-minute clip: www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjoyK5_Ae48

Has been 2019Son's favorite player.

It was a legal slide. He could reach the base. He wasn't out of the baseline. A MLB base runner's responsibility is to take out (within the rules) a middle infielder attempting to turn two. Utley isn't a dirty player. He's a hard nose player. He's old school like most fans wish players would be.

Originally Posted by Truman:

In football there's good reason why a Chop Block gets a heavy penalty.  The same reasoning for the same kind of move should be applied to "taking out a middle infielder".

So you are arguing for a rules change...fair enough but that is a conversation for the winter, next year, the rules committee or whatever. It doesn't change this play or if it was legal.

Originally Posted by old_school:

I'm pretty sure I'm not simple-minded; I'm pretty sure you were being pejorative; and I'm pretty sure you read far too much into my post, which had nothing to do with his preceding career. As for him being your favorite player ever, yes, that is clear. You might as well be his publicist on this thread. But hey, clearly, not everyone thinks as highly of Utley as you do = duh.

Last edited by Batty67

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.