Skip to main content

If I recall there were a few people affiliated with a certain team last year that had a tendency to "put the cart ahead of the horse"" so to speak. They posted comments very similar to some of the predictions made here (team was different). That team fell short of Farmington. It's probably easier to win the CMWS than the South Plains Regional. Still a lot of ball to be played (weather permitting).
If DBAT 18 gets Thomas back in the rotation and also picks up Middlebrooks from Liberty Eylau who is supposdly is going to play for them, then they would definitely be the favorite in my opinion to win the Regional Tournament.

BTW - we are actually playing ball here in East Texas. My 9 year old's all star tournament resumed last night and it looks good so far for today. Maybe DBAT could move their wood bat tournament to Longview.
Those guys are showing on their roster along with Workman and Bettis. I hear none of these guys went to Arizona and may not even play with DBAT anymore. That does leave their pitching staff pretty depleted I would think.

They did go 5-2 at the AABC Connie Mack Qualifier and lost 5-4 to the Tigers in the semi's so they must still be pretty strong.
Last edited by thats-a-balk!
I don't know anything about the status of Middlebrooks' status with the Red Sox. He is, however, playing tournament baseball with his American Legion team in Texarkana. According to what I have read locally, he is not pitching but is doing very well at the plate. If he does come to Dallas to play this summer, those who have not seen him play will be in for a treat. He is the best all around high school baseball player I have ever seen.

DBAT was missing some pitching in Arizona, but the Tigers were also missing two pretty decent arms - Beavan and Swaggerty.

I saw Bettis pitch one game for DBAT against the Tigers a couple of weeks ago.....
Last edited by crawdad
Looking at both DBAT and the Tigers roster, most of the Tigers were pretty familiar while DBAT had some players I had not heard of. We all know how good Fleece and Guest were this past year and I have heard Boydstons name, but Montgomery and Armstrong do not ring a bell. These were some of the guys I heard threw
in Arizona.

I guess bottom line is both these teams are pretty deep as are the Mustangs, Marshals, Panthers, Patriots....etc. Most of these teams do not pickup kids to fill a bench spot, they are all expected to contribute.
Well...technically, he made the trials roster. The team will be finalized in the future. But I have no argument with your assessment of his talent. Smile

My buddy from HS, who lives in Cary, was there to photograph the championship game. AABC lost, but it appears that our Texas boys had great weeks at the Tournament of Stars.

I was surprised that Walker Kelly was not selected to continue the tryout process. Perhaps he had other commitments.
We played the Midland Redskins on Friday night in Atlanta. I was told by a member of their traveling party that Walker Kelly was injured and would not be pitching anymore this summer. Has anyone else heard this?

By the way, please note that the folks on here promoting the Carpenter Mustangs to Farmington are not Mustang affiliated. I am sure that not playing in the Premier BBI deal will keep us from being competitive in the Regional. Nevertheless, I am sure our ballclub will show up for the games.
I'm slightly confused, but I will say the Carpenter Mustangs are stacked. A good team indeed. I'll just say they better not get Dallas Mavericks 2006 NBA Finals Syndrome/Dallas City 2006 Syndrome... if you catch my drift and know exactly what I'm refferring to. Good luck to all teams, and I'll say I agree with KD.
Dtiger,
My point is that it is NOT Dallas Mustang players or parents on this board saying that the Mustangs are going to Farmington. There is no Dallas Mavericks syndrome from the Mustang camp.

Speaking of being slightly confused, I was looking forward to introducing myself to you in Atlanta the past few days, but never saw you. Were you there and I just missed seeing you?
Last edited by Uncle Ethan
Uncle E I did read it wrong, or my brain didn't register it. Thanks. They are one heck of a team. No doubt about it. I'm still bitter about 2006!

I'm slightly disapointed I had to miss Georgia and not be there to fight through it. I heard there were some really good teams (obviously). The camp was great though. Great experience and very well run.
Last edited by Dtiger
First - almost no rain. We had our game with East Cobb Yankees shortened to 5 innings due to a late evening lightning show.

Second - The Mustangs played the following teams (sorry, don't remember the scores):

Bayside Yankees - W
Carolina Diamond Devils - L
Louisiana All Stars - W
East Cobb Yankees - W
Dulins Dodgers - L
Midland Redskins - W
East Cobb Cardinals - W

The entire roster contributed to a pretty successful trip.
quote:
Originally posted by John G.:
I was impressed by the SC Diamond Devils team...(KG new addition to the premier assn) thier 17U team won the cornhusker classic a couple weeks ago. They were scouted pretty hard too.

We saw this team at the Perfect Game in Atlanta.

If my memory serves me correctly, their colors were blue and white?

In fact, I think we might have played them.

DBAT GM may refresh my memory.
quote:
Originally posted by John G.:
I was impressed by the SC Diamond Devils team...(KG new addition to the premier assn) thier 17U team won the cornhusker classic a couple weeks ago. They were scouted pretty hard too.

I was told that a pretty small lefty threw a one hitter against the Mustangs in their win. That's saying something for sure against that lineup!
OP,
That is incorrect. The pitcher for the Diamond Devils was a right hander that wore number 5(according to their website, his name is Nick Osterman). Of the two teams the Mustangs lost to, Dulins Dodgers was the better of the two, in my opinion. Dulins Dodgers had four players from the old Germantown Giants on their team. Most of their players are from around Memphis.
I have been impressed by the sportsmanship and comments surrounding the Dallas teams in AABC West CMWS qualifier. Seems like all the Dallas teams are scattered for other PG and AABC tournamnents around July 4th...

In case anyone is interested...........
Rusty Hill's LH Wildcats made a late trip up to the AABC CMWS qualifier in Troy, NY.

I heard they just got a big 6-3 win over a quality Florida Legends team in pool play up there.
They are 2-0 so far. Will have to win their 4 team pool to advance there.

What's the word on DBAT and Tigers right now where they are?
TRhit -- plain and simple -- because the tournaments allow it. A qualifying tourney has to have a certain minimum number of quality teams to be legitimate. Obviously, teams that have a history in Farmington (like the LH Wildcats) are considered such quality. Although the purpose is to send more than one team from areas that are talent-rich, it does not make sense to fill out a tourney with teams that will do little but ensure the best team wins. So, allowing the strongest teams to enter guarantee a legitimate tourney. If I am not mistaken, Trombly (CA) qualified for FM out of the NY qualifier last year. If that area does not have two legitimate CMWS teams, then maybe the qualifier should move.

The tournament director of the Phoenix deal (won by the Tigers) was overheard telling others that he would no longer invite multiple teams from DBAT....primarily because his feelings were hurt (poor baby). So, I suppose he finds another team from AZ, despite its talent level, thereby making it easier for his team to qualify. Alot of this stuff borders on the ridiculous.

Having said that...no one particularly likes neutral third-parties running these tournaments.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.