Sunday, August 5 @ 3:00 PM
Home Run Derby

All times are Dallas times.

All games will be broadcast from Ricketts Park via internet: verticalradio.org

-- Formerly Dallas Knights GM

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Was told that AZ Firebirds are unbeaten against SoCal Renegades in title game this morning for West Region. Trombly must have been eliminated. Both AZ and SoCal finished in final four of the AZ WS Qualifier earlier this summer.

In Southeast Region the East Cobb Yankees, Memphis Tigers and Central Florida Renegades are the final three and each has a loss. Winner of that region will face Linty's boys in opener.

Those are some pretty stout teams fighting it out.

Florida Legends won the NY WS Qualifier and other than Puerto Rico and the host NM team, I do not yet know who is coming from the North Atlantic, North Central and East Central regions.
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM
  • East Central Region - Midland Redskins (Ohio)
  • North Atlantic Region - Jack Cust Diamond Jacks (New Jersey)
  • Southeast Region - East Cobb Yankees (Georgia)
  • South Plains Region - DBAT
  • North Central Region - Top Tier Baseball (Illinois)
  • West Region - Arizona Firebirds
  • National WS Qualifier - Dallas Tigers
  • American WS Qualifier - Florida Legends
  • Puerto Rico
  • Host - Farmington Storm (NM)

First Round Matchups

East Cobb Yankees vs. Dallas Tigers

Farmington Storm vs. Top Tier Baseball

Midland Redskins vs. Florida Legends

Puerto Rico vs. DBAT

Jack Cust Diamond Jacks vs. Arizona Firebirds
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM
well, if the Jack Cust Academy teaches the same philosophy that Jack Cust himself has - offensively, lookout!

He doesn't teach that squish the bug, cast the hands to get the outside pitch, keep the barrel above the hands, load to the back-swing to the front, swing-level/swing down ****... he is all about proper biomechanics.... if they swing what he preaches that will be a tough game for most pitchers when they face them...

Good luck to both Tigers and DBAT!!
Diamond Jacks were the team in New York qualifier that beat the LH Wildcats
20-12 where 12 homeruns were hit. Following day the Florida Legends out hit LH Wildcats with just as many Jacks as the day before. Let me add the field dimensions at the NY field is much larger than Ricketts. Many draft picks will be scorching pitching in Farmington.

Good Luck to the 2 Dallas teams.
The Trombly Braves registered as a 17U team this year. We are currently 37-3 on the summer and are headed to the AABC 17U Don Mattingly World Series in Fleminton, NJ (August 6-12). The games are played at the Jack Cust Baseball Academy. We are looking forward to the experience and hope to get back to Farmington next summer. Good luck to the teams that will be there.

Here is the website for the 17U World Series

http://www.jackcustbaseball.com
Ken,
Last year our 18U team was the Runner-Up at the Connie Mack World Series. That team would only return 3 players.

Last year our 16U team was the Runner-Up at the Mickey Mantle World Series. That team returned everyone!

In addition we added several players and they all were 17U, many of them only 16.

We played in several tournaments this past fall/winter and we were able to compete w/ the 18U team. I knew that during the summer we also could compete with the best 18U teams (IF OUR PLAYERS WERE THERE). I knew that our team would be ALL UNDERCLASSMEN and that would mean several conflicts including:
Tournament of Stars, Junior Olympics, PG National Showcase, Area Code Games, AFLAC Game, etc.

Due to the various conflicts we would not have our team together most of the time. Due to this, I felt that we would not be competitive against the top 18U teams in the country, but could still compete at the 17U level. Then next year we will have the entire team together and compete at the 18U level.
Last edited by TromblyBaseball
quote:
Originally posted by TromblyBaseball:
Ken,
Last year our 18U team was the Runner-Up at the Connie Mack World Series. That team would only return 3 players.

Last year our 16U team was the Runner-Up at the Mickey Mantle World Series. That team returned everyone!

In addition we added several players and they all were 17U, many of them only 16.

We played in several tournaments this past fall/winter and we were able to compete w/ the 18U team. I knew that during the summer we also could compete with the best 18U teams (IF OUR PLAYERS WERE THERE). I knew that our team would be ALL UNDERCLASSMEN and that would mean several conflicts including:
Tournament of Stars, Junior Olympics, PG National Showcase, Area Code Games, AFLAC Game, etc.

Due to the various conflicts we would not have our team together most of the time. Due to this, I felt that we would not be competitive against the top 18U teams in the country, but could still compete at the 17U level. Then next year we will have the entire team together and compete at the 18U level.

I hear ya.....

You don't have to prove anything to me. You guys are a good organization.

I just had to give you a hard time since I wouldn't be able to give you hell in the hotel lobby. Smile

Good luck at the NIT........ Big Grin

Just kidding........and please tell Hollywood's dad hello for me. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by TromblyBaseball:
Ken,
Tommy Palica signed w/ the Atlanta Braves. He is a stud and will be pitching at Turner Field soon!

Yeah, he looked like a nice one when I saw him...........

But if Bobby Cox is still there when he puts that uniform on at Turner field, most likely we wont be seeing any "hollywood" acts. Big Grin
Sometimes when you see something from the stands, it isn't what it appears!

What Ken is referring to is last year in Farmington we beat the Florida Bombers on a walk-off HR by Tommy Palica. After hitting the HR Tommy was grabbing at his shirt.........

What Ken saw from the stands was a player acting like "I'm the man."

What was really going on was....

Tommy loves the Big Pappi (David Ortiz). While we were in New York for the World Series Qualifier some one bought Tommy a shirt that said "Who needs a Daddy, we've got a Papi." He wore this shirt under his jersey that night when we played the Bombers.

We were tied in the bottom of the 7th inning and w/ 1 out Austin Romine (2nd Round NY Yankees) hit a 2B. The Bombers then decided to intentionally walk Walker Moore to get set up the double play. The pitcher was LH and Tommy Palica bats LH and doesn't hit LHP well. On the 2nd pitch, Palica hit a Walk Off 3-RUN HR to win the game. As Tommy was rounding the bases he was looking at his teamates pulling on his shirt as if to say..."It's the shirt!"
Steve,

Your too easy............

Remember, perception is everything. We have "stud" around these parts that recently may have been misunderstood.............

But the papers and the fans don't sit in the dugout or go on road trips with teams. So what is witnessed from the stands is the impression that will be imprinted.

Good or bad..........it happens.

It sure was fun to talk about it that night over those adult beverages though........ Big Grin

Oh yeah, do you guys still have that coach that gives rapid signs from third base? That cracked me up big time. Big Grin
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I just don't see how DBAT or the Tigers hit the ball well enough to not go 2 and Q in Farmington. DBAT got 1 hit off of Trent Appleby, and got shut out by Chase Reid. I wish them the best, but my money is on the Farmington host team, or the always strong Puerto Rican team. Behind the strong fan support of the travelling Puerto Ricans, and the hometown support for the Host team, it will be tough to take the adrenaline out of those kids. However, best of luck to the two Dallas teams going out to waste 10 days for 2 games of baseball.
quote:
Originally posted by Lavender and Cream:
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I just don't see how DBAT or the Tigers hit the ball well enough to not go 2 and Q in Farmington. DBAT got 1 hit off of Trent Appleby, and got shut out by Chase Reid. I wish them the best, but my money is on the Farmington host team, or the always strong Puerto Rican team. Behind the strong fan support of the travelling Puerto Ricans, and the hometown support for the Host team, it will be tough to take the adrenaline out of those kids. However, best of luck to the two Dallas teams going out to waste 10 days for 2 games of baseball.

Know your facts, the game against Chase an outstanding RHP I recall the game was 2 - 1. And you don't wish DBAT or the Tigers the best because your team is not there.
Last edited by SWAC

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.