Skip to main content

Weeman,

Thanks for the kind words. I wish I could take the credit for that team's success. As a coach or instructor you believe that you have something to contribute to whatever situation you enter. I was fortunate that a good number of the players on that team were willing to open their minds to what I could contribute to the team. Believe me, that is not always the case.

Another unique element of that team was the way they took ownership of the team. They took pride in what they were doing and darn near got the big prize.

As for me at the helm, thanks, but Chris Ledbetter is a good young coach who is going to be around for a long, long time. I will always be part of that program at some level if Chris wants me to be. Unfortunately, having a wife and three young sons(8 1/2, 6 1/2, 5) takes more time than you can imagine.
Jim D....

This is Matthews from that Oak Park team. Have to agree with weeman in that you were indeed a spark that we needed. Remember the Barrington game we were losing by 8 runs, and almost won, because we kept fighting? That was all you. And will never forget your speech in the tunnel before the Title game. Still get chills thinking about that night. Have to say that you have the qualities to be a great players coach, someone that kids want to play for. Dont know if it was like this for you at OP, but loved every second of being part of something great. Thanks for helpin.

Matthews
Ian,

What can I say? I am blown away by your comments. I don't think I could possibly receive a better compliment. It means the world to me that something I did has left such a lasting impression on you. I loved every second of that time as well.

It was a pleasure to sit back and watch you work your magic! You consistently made hitters look foolish more than anyone I've seen in a long time. Scott Nelson used to blow them away, you made them look foolish.

So thanks again for the memories! I will never forget you guys! You are very welcome! The pleasure was mine!!

Jim Donovan
Ian Matthews:
YOUR so full of Class,Butler is lucky to have you !
I coached for a long time, and never had a player who was such a winner on and off the field more than Jim Donovan. Every team Jim was on they won! Jim Went to World Series 4 straight years in a row with the Bronco team and the Pony team. I was lucky to have coached Jim in Pony we lost to Alex Fernades and Joge Favergas team from Miami, But Jim set record's for Pony for avg hr rbis that stood for 15 year's, and I think he still has best avg for Bronco league. Did i also mention that his highschool team went down state 3 out of his 4 years on the varsity!
He was 3 time all-state! There is no doubt that he would be one of the great highschool coaches ever! Right up there with Rodeghero, Hall, Gancer,Fornaceri,Bonebrake. Chris Ledbetter played for me too and helped get us to another World Series a couple of years after Jimmy d, and Chris Will be another great coach.
I also want to add that the best pitcher I have ever seen in highschool was also a big reason we went to the World Series in Washington Pa.
His name Scott Nelson the best pitching instructor around!!! and there are many great one's too(PITCHING INSTRUCTOR'S). So with Donovan and Nelson and Sean Lawrence who pitched in the major's for the Pirates, and we still finished 3rd in the World Confused Now you know why I don't coach any more and just give lesson's

Last edited {1}
Would like to add that I am happy I went to school where I did. As a young kid coming up through the Oak Park pipeline, you hear countless stories from your prehistoric coaches who were there because they loved it. Remember when I was 12, we were in the Zone and someone came up with a list in their head of amazing guys to go through Oak Park, and RF. Dono, Nelson, Lawrence, Ovid, Williamson, Whealy, Spanos and on an on. You see these guys and hear about them. Makes me proud that I could be in their shoes also. Now that I am a couple years out of HS, I have come to appreciate the program more and will always remember my fond memories from that amazing field. Thanks fellas.

Matthews
this post goes out to bull, who is the kid that was saying his high school is going to hit 60 homeruns this spring for sure...do you have any idea how hard it is to even hit 50 home runs in one season? we hit 59 in 42 games and we went all the way. what was your record last year? if you play easy teams all year the second you get deep in the playoffs its going to be a whole new game for you. its not as easy as you think bud. but good luck this year coming up. hope to see you down the road.
Under rated O5's and 04's
Pitcher Brian Williams 6ft3 170 RH
Missed a complete game shut out vs Fenwick last year as a sophmore.04-Charlie Bromann last year's on the field leader!Glenbard West. Bobby Steven's, ss from Holy Cross. One of the best short stops in Illinois.
Dave Cales ss Mt.Carmel>Going to be another great Short stop!
Last edited {1}
gbwbb, I agree w/you that Bobby Stevens is arguably the single best SS in the Chicagoland area. However he has plenty of competition. Underrated is not exactly the case. Many scouts have him on the radar and playing for the Indiana Yankees will get him on the national radar. In the long run he'll land at a big D1 program.
Good Luck on the monday report, Our thoughts and prayers will be with you. Please let us know about the situation. Boo Boo is fine, had a little back thing going. Coach Black is making sure they are in shape. Joe Froelich has Butler on top of his list, I think you'll hear from him.I'll give Leddy a heads up on your current predicament.
leddy, what a clown you are. right when all the good talent leaves, you get all the best gear. Ha, you know your email is comin soon.
Soxnole....how long you going to be down there? And, are you going to Jacksonville also? That would be great. Cant wait to get heckled in the visitors bullpen by that circus in Tallahassee. Until then, the gametracker is my best friend.
Long Gone, we arrive on monday about dinner time. that will be the 1st chance to get together. tuesday after the game would be next. were staying wed for ISU as well.won't be going to Jax,too much we need to do in Tally.post or email your cell or jays and i'll call you when we get in. when does the team arrive? My cell is 708-945-5120.
ian - what's up man? that's real good news, glad the injury wasn't serious. good luck with this season, and get on your coach about scheduling something against harvard, cuz we're always looking for solid teams to play. i'm sure my coach would be up for it in the future.

leddy - thanks for the sweatshirt. these things are awesome, how did you pull that off? we just had our first schrimages of the year, and i did real well (5/10 with two triples and two SBs), so i'm hoping that it earned me a lil playing time down in texas this weekend.
soxnole - had a talk with coach walsh today. he said that he definitely plans on bringing your little one out here on a visit, so that will give me a chance to convince him that he should be here. let ruairi know that i'll be on him this summer about joining me. im having a blast and i know he'd get immediate playing time here. and besides, a "crimson" is way cooler than a "seminole." wait... no, nevermind.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.