Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The young man looks good overall. His stride foot does appear to be landing on the heel, however. And his body is overrunning the stride leg. I realize that this is what some teach. I would prefer to see more hip rotation rather than the torso overrunning the stride leg.

Obviously the young man has worked hard on his mechanics.
Fair balance....good direction...keep glove over front foot and work to it...this will prevent premature spinning and promote forward handspeed that is desireable for ability to throw all pitches....he gets through the pitch and doesn't spin till after he releases the ball, just be aware of front side leaving before you get through the pitch........when he starts to the plate he may want hands and front leg to be in sync....his leg starts down and forward but his hands are still together a little longer and they don't separate till leg has started down and forward..remember that the leg kick provides momentum but more importantly it allows you to use your lower half which you appear to be doing ......AND it allows your arm time to catch up w/ the rest of your body, in that area I feel you are lacking a touch.....at foot strike you would like your back (throwing) elbow at or near shoulder height....

Basically what you are doing may cause you throw the ball up or up and armside......think about throwing the ball THROUGH your catcher...all the while working to your front side......

Instead of thinking about a bunch of mechanical stuff......separate your hands when your front leg starts down and forward and see how close you can take your nose to your catcher while maintaining a solid/balanced finish..

All in all you look pretty solid.....the thing you do can cause you miss up in the strike zone...(and by UP, I mean thigh to belt high)

All of the above are fixable and not major problems to correct.......

Delivery is coordinated and somewhat fluid......
How old is he? How big is he? How hard does he throw?

I think he's too deliberate. I count about 33 frames from high knee lift to release. Most hard throwers are 25 frames or less. I think he's stalling at high knee lift. I also think his rotation into foot plant is too drawn out. In hard throwers, especially shorter pitchers, I see a late much more violent rotation of the hips into foot plant. He looks big so he may be able to get away with it.

A very linear (i.e. straight towards the plate) delivery in my opinion. He also appears to be pushing a bit. I think that too is related to poor rotation (of the shoulders). His arm action, from high zone to release, gives me the impression he's spent some time with the "towel drill".

These are just my opinions. Smile

Jason
Last edited by FlippJ
Thanks for the comments.
He was 17 when I shot that video.
At the finish he comes up a lttle early because the mound is too small for him. he usually stays low and his kick leg lands parallel tp his stride leg.
His late hand break does help keep his weight back. I like his plant foot almost planted before he drives to the plate. This gives him control.
He maxes at 84mph but his off speeds are his strenghts.
He needs lower and upper body development to get his velocity up. He is 6'3" 170lbs.

Thanks Cap_n
BobbleheadDoll,

I hope you were kidding. Of course the clip is in slow motion. You can open animated GIFs in Quicktime and view the clip just like it's shown here or frame by frame. That is what I did. He's at least 33 frames from hand break to release. That's a pretty slow tempo based on what I've seen from high level hard throwing pitchers.

I mentioned the towel drill in my previous post. Has he used that drill at all?

Jason
Last edited by FlippJ
BobbleheadDoll,

I wanted to thank you for posting a clip of your boy. It's not easy to do that and hear comments from strangers. Especially comments that aren't necessarily complimentary. Hopefully you understand that nothing I say is personal. I'm guessing your boy is a decent pitcher. I just think he could be better.

Of course that's only my opinion, which may or may not mean anything to you or anybody else for that matter.

Thanks again for sharing!

Jason
quote:
I don't know why it is slower than the original but it looks like half speed.

It's always like this. You need to down load the clip and run it on your own computer to see the real speed. There are no duplicate frames, there are no dropped frames. When this is the case, you can generally count frames.

It appears there's 19 frames from hand break to release, which is pretty good, but 32 frames from high knee to release, which is pretty slow...if you want to compare his style/tempo to high velocity throwers.
Last edited by cap_n
This young man's mechanics show what hard work can do, very impressive. Love the way he gets out over his plant leg @ release. As Tx mentioned, he does appear to land on his heel rather than toe. Also, he "swings" his leg up a bit rather than lifting, might want to experiment a little there, these two may be related. This may help bring his windup delivery closer to stretch delivery and improve overall command. I am assuming his stretch will not want the lead leg to go back behind plant leg in order to help hold runners. Best of luck!
Thanks Yank.
His pickoff is excellent and head goes to the plate during the pickoff and trails back towards 1st base. He is actually looking at home plate when he starts to throw over.
At the top of his lift at balance point he goes straight out at a 45degree angle.
He upsets a lot of players and parents but not UMPs. Take more than 2 primary steps and you are usually gone.
Based on results and lack of problems I think it is very good. He is effortless and releases his ball way out front. In the video which was a couple years ago he is not throwing with the intensity that he would show in a game situation. The full length video got raves from College coaches and several offers. Can't be too bad.
He is not as of yet a power pitcher but his control is usually excellent. There is always fine tunning and room for improvement.
I don't see anything "wrong" with the delivery so much. I do think he would pick up velocity if he broke his pitching hand from his glove a hair sooner, so that he could get the arm up in the back sooner and get his hand more out front at release. He has a slight arm drag and while this can increase "action" on the ball, particularly for a lefty, it does hinder velocity somewhat. But 84 mph for a lefty is fine, esp. if he has good off-speed stuff and good spot control. You may lose some tailing action as you get more out front on release, so you have to consider what's more important to you, what works best for him. Ultimately it's more important to get batters out than to light up RADAR guns.
BBscout my son rotated is hips slightly and the Scout emphatically told him not to. I even have it on video. He was running an instructional class and did a little demo. It was quite funny. Never forgot it.
I know some scouts have tried to shorten his arm motion. More like an infielders arm motion. he defintely gets more power when he does that.
Midlo makes a good point. Son actually slows himself down to get movement. Even Maddox does that.
quote:
Originally posted by smokky1:
I think you move your head a little too much. Most good pitchers hardly move their head throughout the whole delivery. They dont pull it to the opposite side

This is such a load of nonesense.

There is no way you can throw without NOT moving your head at all. Especially to the side.
Take a look at some video of different pitchers. They ALL move their head to the side when they throw.
Rob,

The head is irrelevent after the ball is released....where ever your nose goes so will your back side, which has the ball in it....forward hand speed is important or should I say impairative (sp?)....if you don't have forward hand speed it makes if very difficult to get the ball to do what you want as well as locate it....I think if you look at video of successful MLB pitchers you will find that a great majority keep their nose on the catcher at least untill after they release the ball...if the head or any other part of the front side leaves early it will affect what the arm does...ie. it will not promote forward hand speed, can cause you to push the ball etc.....and with out that you can't throw CB's,SL's, Split's, CH's(w/ armside run/sink) or sinkers properly....
Last edited by LOW337
quote:
Originally posted by LOW337:
Rob,

The head is irrelevent after the ball is released....where ever your nose goes so will your back side, which has the ball in it....forward hand speed is important or should I say impairative (sp?)....if you don't have forward hand speed it makes if very difficult to get the ball to do what you want as well as locate it....I think if you look at video of successful MLB pitchers you will find that a great majority keep their nose on the catcher at least untill after they release the ball...if the head or any other part of the front side leaves early it will affect what the arm does...ie. it will not promote forward hand speed, can cause you to push the ball etc.....and with out that you can't throw CB's,SL's, Split's, CH's(w/ armside run/sink) or sinkers properly....

thats the way i was taught. Keep nose to the target. I had control problems before, but now i keep my nose the target and my control is much better.
Maddux is 26 frames to release in his clip.

33 is a lot if the goal is to throw hard. On the other hand, it is an easily identifiable place to pick up velocity. Get to 30 then 27. My bet us that there will be mph's there. I'll bet he can throw from the slide step as hard as he throws full windup. Am I close?

If he gets guys out then so be it. However if he he wants to throw harder...it's there for the taking.

Thanks for posting the clip. You do expose yourself when you do it but it is of great benefit to you and all involved.

Good luck.
quote:
.......I think if you look at video of successful MLB pitchers you will find that a great majority keep their nose on the catcher at least untill after they release the ball...

This is a great example of why "establishment" people are dangerous.

Watch the heads of these 5 pretty good pitchers before they release.

All righthanders. All have their head move significantly to the left to make room for their arm.

Mr LOW337. Just how can a pitcher get his arm perpendicular to his spine, which it has to be for maximum energy transfer, without moving his head aside? If he doesn't move his head he has to throw side arm.

Always.....compare what anyone tells you to video of the best doing it.
Last edited by Infopimp
HOLD on INFO.....first of all I'm a little tired of the "establishment" comment.....can I help it that I played pro baseball, coached college and minor league baseball?...and baseball still puts clothes on my back and feeds me......It's the profession I chose......and continue to still work in.....

Secondly.....when I speak of head movement I am talking about taking the nose towards the catcher.....it of course will not be a perfect direct straight line.....what you speak of in the videos you posted is not what I am talking about.......at release (even in the videos you posted) the head is on the catcher and is moving toward the catcher. you do not want your face looking in the glove side dugout while the ball is still in your hand.......that is all I was saying....you are speaking of something totally different........
quote:
HOLD on INFO.....first of all I'm a little tired of the "establishment" comment.....can I help it that I played pro baseball, coached college and minor league baseball?...and baseball still puts clothes on my back and feeds me......It's the profession I chose......and continue to still work in.....

That's great. I'm happy for you.

You have an opportunity to go on a campaign to teach them how the skills of baseball are really done as opposed to how many in established baseball teach them..........or don't teach them.
quote:

Secondly.....when I speak of head movement I am talking about taking the nose towards the catcher.....it of course will not be a perfect direct straight line.....what you speak of in the videos you posted is not what I am talking about.......at release (even in the videos you posted) the head is on the catcher and is moving toward the catcher. you do not want your face looking in the glove side dugout while the ball is still in your hand.......that is all I was saying....you are speaking of something totally different........

I see absolutley no "nose to the catcher" in any of these. Clearly the head, which controls the nose, is not going toward the catcher.

Why say that when 90% of the listeners will take it literal and 90% of them will be wrong.
Last edited by bbscout
quote:
There is no way you can throw without NOT moving your head at all. Especially to the side.
Take a look at some video of different pitchers. They ALL move their head to the side when they throw.
Posts: 21 | Location: Macomb, MI | Registered: August 16, 2005

RobV say it best right here in this quote and I know that LOW knows this because we talked about it last night.

Info, your trying to twist things a little bit here.

We all know the head must tilt here and can't believe Smokey said the opposite up a few posts.

IMHO
Last edited by Shepster
quote:
Well then Info....

The thing you must do is rush down to spring training and show all of the pichers and pitching coaches the videos of your groundbreaking discovery......

I thought you worked in baseball? I don't.

I'm a dad at a computer who has studied and taught my sons and I know more about baseball skills than 90% of the establishment that I am exposed to.

Does that say something about me.........or them.

I do this as a hobby. It is their livelihood.
Last edited by Infopimp
quote:
Rob,

The head is irrelevent after the ball is released....where ever your nose goes so will your back side, which has the ball in it....forward hand speed is important or should I say impairative (sp?)........

Shep

Read the above.

Is that the truth? Does your backside go where you nose goes? Look at the video.

Is forward hand speed important? What is forward hand speed? Or is the rotational speed of the hand at the end of the arm at the end of the shoulders powered by the rotation of the body what is most important to know?

Forward? Why does the hand end up near the post knee? Is that forward? No. The arm is in a rotational arc.
Last edited by Infopimp
What would be an example of side to side hand movement? I just can't imagine what you're talking about. Throwing side arm? Therefore, your words are bad. They have no meaning.

Forward. What does that mean? Yes, the ball, therefore the hand/arm goes forward. But isn't it really in an arc defined by the rotation of the spine and body and perpendicular to the spine for maximum energy transfer?

So why not talk about the arm plane and how the plane is angled to create an arm slot of which most pitchers are 3/4 or nearly 3/4. And that doing this is one of many absolutes that are required to throw your hardest.

This nose stuff and the head doesn't move stuff is way off base.
Last edited by Infopimp
quote:
.if you don't have forward hand speed it makes if very difficult to get the ball to do what you want as well as locate it

LOW, you are absolutely correct in this statement because your upperhalve has to get a running start to generate enough forward mometum to bring hand forward fast enough to throw to spots.

IMHO
Last edited by Shepster
By side to side handspeed I do not mean sidearm.....you do not want your hand coming around the ball....in order to throw all pitches forward armspeed is needed....if you don't have it you cannot throw FB's(sinkers in particular), CB's (it will flatten them out), SL's (cutters, slurves, you stay behind these pitches) and CH's (w/ side to side hand speed you can't sink the ball because you tend to come around the ball).....(submarine guys are another topic)....
Exactly Shep,

And Info I am talking about HTQ, TQ and LTQ...more difficult to throw traditional CB w/ LTQ slot.....I wouldn't ever teach a kid and certainly wouldn't change HS, COL or PRO pitcher to change natural arm slot.....the front side will take care of the back side provided we are talking about a person whose arm works reasonalbly well.
Last edited by LOW337
quote:
And as I said before you must have the forward handspeed to throw all pitches w/ desireable result.....when throwing you impart spin on the ball and to get the desired spin your hand must move forward.......

Duh!!

Another great establishment example.

Who thinks it goes backward? or sideways?
Info.....

explain to me how you spin a breaking ball w/o forward handspeed.....

then explain how you spin a CH w/o forward handspeed....

then explain how you spin a sinker w/o forward handspeed....

then explain how you spin or, lack thereof, a splitter.....

then explain how you spin a slider/cutter w/o forward handspeed....

I'd like to hear what you think...
I really don't need "nothing" explained to me.

By nothing I mean your statement that you have to have forward hand speed.

Who doesn't know that? Who believes throwing hard comes from backward hand speed? Who believe throwing hard comes from slow speed?

As my daughter says......"No Duh!"

Perfect example of the "stuff" you get from baseball.

If we're talking pitching/hitting all I ask is you say something when you speak.

Talk about rotation into footplant. Scap loading. Tempo. Intent. Especially intent. Arm action. Something that has meaning.
Last edited by Infopimp
Choosing descriptors is very important, and trying to illustrate actions (verbally) can be very difficult. As well, a cue that results in an affirmative response or action by one person does not mean that cue works for all.

Richard…this forum is not the place for you to try to save the throwing world from "the establishment" by ridiculing participant’s and/or their statements.

I encourage debate, but I discourage the constant badgering and attempted belittling (by you) toward every person that doesn’t word their thoughts exactly as you think they should word them.

If you continue with this style of posting, then things will change.
Wow yhis had gotten interesting if not confusing.
TJ's head is very steady and moves to the target. He normally stays down a little longer but his foot falls off the mound and brings him up early after release. On a ball diamond he finishes in a BFP position allowing him to face the plate and move in any direction.
To me head movement is when you turn your head away from the target in order to get more power and I don't see that here.
Some things have been pointed out that need attention but his coach may have worked on them already.
TJ has been used to demonstarate proper pitching mechanics by MLB scouts and the pitching coach of Team Ontario. PG knows this gentleman very well.
Shep I hope you weren't referring to me about ESTAB bashing. I love all the establishments.
TJ doses what the coach standing in front of him tells him to do.
quote:
I never the said the head doesn't move....you just want to avoid any violent head jerking and spinning or flying off of the pitch at least untill you release it.....

Thats what i meant people Wink forget i said anything. This guy had great mechanics

I was looking at Jake peavy right now, and he keept his head on target and DIDN'T violent jerk it.
Last edited by smokky1
quote:
Originally posted by Shepster:
quote:
think you move your head a little too much. Most good pitchers hardly move their head throughout the whole delivery. They dont pull it to the opposite side

BTW,
This is the post by Smokey that I was referring...

Shep

Roll EyesLOL i meant a violent jerk. You head moves but it's not a violent jerk to the ground
See that's what the prolem is really. People using words that possibly do not describe what they are thinking or how they are trying to teach.

These "keep head steady" threads strike a nerve with me because I went to a clinic clinic with my son, and this college "coach" (who also happens to be a scout) teaches this head to the target junk, spews all the Tom House nonesense, towel drill up the wha zoo, and has my sons entire high school team fooled basically (for lack of a better word). Possibly a good portion of our community.

He's teaching kids that their throws (using their arms), should be akin to sitting in a pec deck machine when they throw. It looks laughable when you see him demonstrate it.

When he sees one kid who's head tilts to the side when they throw....."oh no...see...you gotta fix that!". Mad

And yet, people here think he is going to save them and lead them into the throwing promised land. They are throwing money at this fraud. They don't know, that they don't know and it's sad. What's worse is that he is screwing up a lot of kids, and making their parents spend a lot of money with the hope that they may "make it" one day because of his connections.
quote:
Originally posted by RobV:
See that's what the prolem is really. People using words that possibly do not describe what they are thinking or how they are trying to teach.

These "keep head steady" threads strike a nerve with me because I went to a clinic clinic with my son, and this college "coach" (who also happens to be a scout) teaches this head to the target junk, spews all the Tom House nonesense, towel drill up the wha zoo, and has my sons entire high school team fooled basically (for lack of a better word). Possibly a good portion of our community.

He's teaching kids that their throws (using their arms), should be akin to sitting in a pec deck machine when they throw. It looks laughable when you see him demonstrate it.

When he sees one kid who's head tilts to the side when they throw....."oh no...see...you gotta fix that!". Mad

And yet, people here think he is going to save them and lead them into the throwing promised land. They are throwing money at this fraud. They don't know, that they don't know and it's sad. What's worse is that he is screwing up a lot of kids, and making their parents spend a lot of money with the hope that they may "make it" one day because of his connections.

It's obvious that his head isn't looking at the left side dugout
http://www.padresnation.com/players/jakepeavyII.JPG

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/baseball/mlb/img7310772.jpg

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/03/08/31/peavy.jpg

LOL i'm sorry i ever brought this up. The kid has very good mechanics. And will get very good.
Last edited by smokky1
In the video clip that started this group snit, I don't see much head tilt in the first place.

Head tilt is NOT a good thing. There are a whole host of reasons, some dealing with control, some with injury prevention. Still, lots of effective pitchers have it. You wouldn't want to teach it, any more than you would teach a young hitter to copy Julio Franco's stance or swing, but clearly some people are capable of having departures from standard form and still doing well.

One thing I would note is that head tilt often accompanies a dragging throwing arm. In fact, the dragging arm will result in the ball's being delivered off the plate to the arm side (to the left-handed batter's box for a lefty) unless either the drag is corrected or some other accommodation is made. Most kids start pulling their torso to the glove side, leading with their head, to compensate for the dragging arm.

The best cure is to get the arm up and out front sooner, so that the head is behind the hand. If you do this, the head will be more straight on to the plate. In other words, instead of solving one problem (arm drag) with another mistake (head pull), you're better served if you fix the original problem and eliminate the need to compensate.

Again, in the video, there is only a modest amount of arm drag going on, and thus, only a slight head pull. In this particular pitcher I don't see much cause for alarm, and if he has good arm health and is effective, why mess with success?
I am surprised that you would be so bitter towards Tom House. His method are excellent and we have not given him a nickel. We take his books out every spring from the local library. His approach is generally referred to as Tall & Fall. I know lots of pitchers who use this approach and are very successful.
The other approach is Drop & Drive which suits a lot of pitchers as well. I recommend the Louisville Slugger book called everything you kneed to know about pitching. This book gives a wide range of views and is a great read. This book gives several frame by frame looks at MLB pitchers and their mechanics.
I was curious why you think it is a fraud ?
That's Jake Peavey. Take a look at VIDEO of others like Nolan Ryan.

I'm not bitter towards Tom House (although I don't think his methods are that great), I'm more dismayed at the local guy here using his methods and conning people that don't know any better. Using his "status" as a means of getting people to pay him, regardless of what he's teaching.

I think there are much better ways to optimally throw a baseball.
quote:
Originally posted by RobV:
That's Jake Peavey. Take a look at VIDEO of others like Nolan Ryan.

I'm not bitter towards Tom House (although I don't think his methods are that great), I'm more dismayed at the local guy here using his methods and conning people that don't know any better. Using his "status" as a means of getting people to pay him, regardless of what he's teaching.

I think there are much better ways to optimally throw a baseball.

I have seen video Roll Eyes

Oh god...
Tom House and Molan Ryan are co authers of several books.
I understand but there is no need to spend huge amounts of money. We used books to get started and had various coaches tweak TJ's mechanics. We had different opinions from top level coaches and listened to all of them. He did what was comfortable for him. A college player who helped coach his varsity team tried to totally change his mechanics. He asked me what to do and I told him to try his method. He tried it but reverted back to his original motion during the games. The college guy was trying to help but TJ was not comfortable with the motion.
House's method may not be right for your guy but it won't hurt him either. The pitching motion is not a natural motion and you have to find what works for you. It may take time to adjust. I know lots of guys who went to a very qualified pitching coach and said they pitched worse than before they started.
I hope your son continues to grow and get stronger. I have watched this clip many times and I would like to offer you some free advice. It looks as if your son may have been over-gurued. The angle of this clip makes it hard to tell exactly, but when his right knee pumps up it could pump back more over the rubber, while closing the lead shoulder more as well. This can help create more power. Also the knee is pumping up, then going straight down, then going out toward the plate. The knee is meant to pump back, closing off your lead hip, and leading toward the plate with your back pocket. This windup appears to have the power of a slide step. Your sons arm works well, and I bet you know that theres more juice in that delivery. If he throws 84 while not using his bodys leverage to its full potential then WOW, thats gas. Anytime you get lessons for someone the intructor has a vested intrest to make a change. If you show up and there is nothing wrong with your sons delivery, and no need to make any changes, are you going to continue to pay for his services?....thats where the vested intrest comes in....good luck with the upcoming season.
Dee thanks for the advice. Your comments are similar to BBscouts before he removed his posts. That is a point that I have mentioned to him.
His college coach has made some minor changes but I am not clear on what he has done. I tend to be hands off at this level.
He has only had 4 sessions at 15 with a private paid pitching coach. All thye other coaches have been part of his teams program.
He needs a lot of physical development to sqeeze some more MPH out.
Flip I have seen several pitchers gain 5-6 + MPH over 4 years of college. I am leaving it to him and his coaches to get it out of him. I mentioned the comments and he is going to try a couple. I thought some tweaking might help.
He has no meat on his arms or legs and I feel 20lbs of muscle can't hurt.
If he can hit 83-84 I am sure he can get 88-89 by the end of college.
Cap_n

Now that's a good question, sir. I appreciate you giving me a chance to clarify.

A 90s plus pitcher may appear to throw effortlessly but is just a optical illusion because body is actually working hard even though not noticable in mechanics if mechanics are good> That's what I mean by a pitcher who is able to throw hard effortlessly Smile peace
quote:
If you really want to get technical in the semantics
........heck no, not at all, butdialog............The notion (or illusion) that someone throws effortlessly at high velocity means that the thrower is getting the most velocity out of the least effort put in, or, their mechanics are efficient. After that, the hard part is repeating (or being proficient at) those effortless looking/efficient mechanics. I would rather have a pitcher proficient with efficient (effortless) mechanics over a pitcher proficient with inefficient (labored) mechanics.
captain
Last edited by cap_n
I have seen many 90+ throwers and to be honest you can hardly see the difference in terms of effort. Some have jerky motions and others smooth.
Jeff Francis of the Rockies is an example of a guy who threw 80 MPH at his senior HS level and could not get a US school to look at him. He went to the University Of British Columbia in Vanciuver and came out throwing 90mph. 6'5" LHP that worked hard and was drafted in the 1st round. I talk to the UBC coach often and he has told me the dedication this guy had and the gains he made. I am hoping my son who is also dedicated will do the same.
quote:
Originally posted by FlippJ:
quote:
Originally posted by DeeMack:
Sometimes velocity developes late in pitchers
I agree that "sometimes" velocity develops late in pitchers. But I also believe that "many" times it does not.

You don't throw hard throwing soft.

Jason

I don't see where DeeMack said anything about throwing soft.In fact, his statement about velocity developing late in pitchers is right on the money. I see more college pitchers throwing harder than high school sophomores.
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
I have no facts from any study but based on the guys I know most have picked up 5-6mph at college. Some like Francis 9-10mph.
There are lots of guys who are physically well developed before college who throw 85+. Some of them can pitch and some can't. When they reach college level the pitchers are separated from the throwers pretty quick.

Based on what you are saying, if son is throwing at 93, he should be 98 in another two years? I tend to doubt that.

There is NO guarantee that any pitcher will increase velocity in college. Some tend to think becoming more mature, added weight will do it. Like Flipp says, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Most college coaches don't have time to wait for a pitcher to develop, what they do is teach them to effectively work with what they have and sometimes with that adjustment, velocity increases.

College does not seperate the pitchers from the throwers, that's why we have pro ball.
Good Evening Fellas and Ladies,

Apologize to all for my part in that mess in other thread.

Back to learning here. I mentioned something in this thread several weeks ago about upperhalve getting running start in order to generate hand-speed in forward arm action/TQ slot in delivery. Never got a response from that comment and really would like others input on that. Could be very good sidebar conversation on this very good LHP on this topic of Bobbleheaddoll thrower. Will be back after 7:00 game. peace everybody...

Shep
"Based on what you are saying, if son is throwing at 93, he should be 98 in another two years? I tend to doubt "

Well just think about it. if a guy is throwing 85mph when he ends hs and goes to college. IF they teach to get the most out of his body and work on his flaws, he could throw 90mph.

If a guy is throwing 93mph, then it's obvious thats he got the most got out of his body and arm. Unless he has some flaws
quote:
Shep not too sure what you mean by running start. You have to come to a set position which means you are at a still position before you start your motion.
Please explain.

The way I understand it is that you want to be moving forward the entire time while throwing. I think the "set/balance postition" (lead leg up)is not reality (or not the optimal way to throw). You do not want to be "stalling out" over the rubber during your delivery. This is a momentume killer, and obviously a velocity killer.
quote:
You have to come set or you balk. You have to have a clear and distict set position .
You have to set,rock back and then come forward. No options there.

Right. I was thinking from throwing from a full windup. What I'm trying to say is once the throw "process" starts, you do not want any pauses in your delivery.
I would like to know how that is accomplished ? You are at set and everything is motionless or you balk. Some pitchers rock back breaking set and raise their hands high over their head before bringing them down to break. Some pitchers rock back farther than others maybe that is what you are talking about.
Set ,rock break and load before coming forward. I actually like a little hesitation at full load before coming forward.
Good Evening fellas/ladies Smile

I was asked to define upperhalve getting running start.

The best way I can describe what I mean by "running start" assuming all other aspects of mechanics are sound in upperhalve: the throwing arm, after hands break away from glove, never has any hesitation when pronating shoulder capsule away from body. The motion is one continuous motion that never pauses but actually generates a sort of rhythm in arm-action going back and coming forward. Almost like a carousel waving motion of a third base coach waving a runner home frantically, but of course not stiff-armed but has angles at stages of windup in relation to pitcher's arm action, but more of a continuous motion with no hesitation, at any point in delivery.

Example: A seasoned pitcher I spoke with today at length who also coaches and scouts at advanced levels who requested to remain anonymous, said this, and I quote: "A kid in our minor league system had tendency to take ball directly out of glove rotating back at top taking ball away from body and pausing at top before coming forward. He only threw 88MPH. We just had him focus on creating a break with his hands removing ball from glove and maintaining continuous motion in circular counter-clockwise fashion with (hand/thumb) to the side/pronate in the ride/and turn ball to center field on backside. All this without allowing any type of pause." He then continued by saying, "this kid now cruises around 93MPH and touches 94-95 occasionally since creating the non-stop whiplike motion in his arms."-anonymous

This is one very obvious example of how arm-action in delivery can effect amount of arm-speed created and "getting running start in upperhalve" can increase velocity.

Hope this clears things up on definition thereof. It's hard describing pitching terminology. Believe 100% with instructional pitching coach comments on this topic today and grateful he was willing to share with us. peace,Shep

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.