Skip to main content

u had a sophomore playing his first time on varsity as one of the top outfielders....lets be serious...even though he may be sick in the future...dont give it to him without earning it...have him start ripping of decent pitchers, then after that...have him face lane and clemente pitchers..i played wit luis a little at hamlin park...he is a beast, now let him prove it for himself, he doesnt need help
quote:
Originally posted by Youre sick.:
Pitchers: Hollis, young; Platt, lane; sanchez, clemente; keingler?, von; doebler, lane; perez, clemente; friedman, young

Catchers: Quiles, lane; marty, clemente

1st:sanchez, clemente;???

2nd:Marvin, clemente; kubes, lane

3rd: graebe, lane; ????

SS: Raplhy, clemente; colon, lane

OF: Davila, lane; devin, clemente; diaz, von stuben; serrano, lane; alvardo, clemente; mckinley, harlen; hollis, young

after i looked at this again...i noticed alot of lane and clemente....oh well...thats what its lookin like.

wait is that what you think will be the all city team, or lane and clemente's roster..haha
In a Sophomore game played at Kilbourn Park it was Young over Schurz 15-1. Freshman Pedro Rosa was the winning pitcher allowing only 1 hit and 1 unearned Run in 3 Innings pitched (2 K's, 1 BB). The Sophomore Dolphins had their bats going early which gave Rosa lots of run support . Eric Tabb pitched extremely well in relief allowing no hits in 2 innings pitched (3 K's).

First Inning homeruns by Freshmen Dae Bowden (2 RBI) and Frank Gowder gave the Dolphins the early lead. In the 2nd Inning Gabe Henriques hit a 2 RBI Homerun and in the 3rd Inning Valmar Jordan crushed a ball for 2 RBI's that was hit over the center field fence. Valmar went 2 for 3 also hitting a Double; Gowder 2 for 3 with a Homerun and a Double. Henriques was 3 for 3 at the plate, in addition to his Homerun he hit a Double and a Single for a total of 5 RBI's.

The Sophomore Dolphins are undefeated in CPS League play.
quote:
tle bias, but thats what it appears to be...the middle infield is definitely right though, no body better ALLAROUND than ralphy and josh...hes eligible now, last year some grade trouble, but he fixed it.

can anyone help me out with other catchers or first b

I think Shaw from Harlan is better than Ralphy the guy hit .467 last year is a fine defensive player. Can't argue with the numbers, ask about him. Ralphy is good, Josh Colon is good, Pouncil from Simeon is good, Shaw is just a little bit better.
quote:
Originally posted by Mistadontplay:
quote:
tle bias, but thats what it appears to be...the middle infield is definitely right though, no body better ALLAROUND than ralphy and josh...hes eligible now, last year some grade trouble, but he fixed it.

can anyone help me out with other catchers or first b

I think Shaw from Harlan is better than Ralphy the guy hit .467 last year is a fine defensive player. Can't argue with the numbers, ask about him. Ralphy is good, Josh Colon is good, Pouncil from Simeon is good, Shaw is just a little bit better.

You know wat,your right u cant argue with numbers.Garcia hit 483, that looks a little better than 467.
Thanks, rosy, for that dose of wisdom. I have high regard for your posts.

Ok kids, play the game and please don't trash talk people who are working hard to keep their eligibility. It can be difficult for some...for others it comes a little easier. I believe that everything balances out in the end, in some way.

"Sick"...My friend keep your nose to the ball and use the internet carefully and with respect to the situations that other people are in. Luis Diaz has been proving himself for many years against pitchers all over this city, it's suburbs and this country. He might be the best natural hitter this city has seen for some time. If he had been able to play his freshman year as a varsity player, which he would have, his name would have been very familiar to most of you.

His name is already familiar to many coaches and players in the suburbs and the city throughout the summer travel leagues.

These coaches and players have learned that you have to be very careful when pitching to this young man. He is a beast if there ever was one.

If you must throw up internet challenges, do this, challenge yourself to keep to what is known...not what is rumoured. Im sure Luis is working very hard. I know through my..as they were called here..."sources" that he has been disciplined appropriately, week to week. This may be a saving grace for the teams that were fortunate enough to not have to face him.

And one other note. While it is fun to fantasize about all star teams..."best of" selections. Great teams are made of much more than a stack of top shelf players. I've seen many teams that have incredible success with a variety of caliber of athlete. There are many intangibles involved in what makes a great team. The best teams play at a level higher than their actual skill level because they compliment each other and learn to really play as unit. there are many factors that create this scenario.

Anyhow,I have been around this game for many years in this city and it's suburbs, I read this board everyday. I have never posted until now. I posted because Im finding that some of the content in this thread is a bit disturbing, in that, there are very personal comments and speculations being made here and I find it to be very irresponsible and low spirited. Stick to the game and let the chips fall where they may. Leave the personal stuff for the parents, teachers, coaches...etc.

Lots of great talent in the city right now. It's fun to watch all these guys, all over town, that I've watched for years, bring it to the high school level. Basketball has always been strong in the city...it's a natural in some sense. All you need is a ball to get a game. Baseball is a much more complicated thing in terms of organization, coaching the various skills, equipment expenses, umps, etc. on and on. If the city could get it together and somehow step up the game...we would be regular visitors to the state tourney.

I find, sometimes, on this board that there are some very smug comments being made about inner city ball. It comes down to this...money and finding coaches who'll stick to it...other stuff to but way to complex to get into here.

Same old I guess? The suburban teams and schools have access to many more resources than we city dogs do and I dont always understand why some of these comments have this smug, sarcastic tone to them...makes me wonder.

Have fun folks and players. Enjoy these four years if you have made your high school team...these will be some of your best memories, seriously.
Last edited by Seventh Son
The WYHS varsity squad has been going through some tough times, but perhaps things will get better now that Sophomore Sam Spitz returns to the varsity squad.

Spitz made his 2006 debut pitching today for the WYHS Sophomore Dolphins against Grayslake High School and getting the Win. Spitz plays in the offseason for Hamlin Park. Last year he was on the 15-U Hamlin Park team that captured the AAU Division 2 National and was the runner-up at the 15-U CABA National Championship. His arm seems to be in good shape as he pitched in the first game of a doubleheader, returning after a long and debilitating illness. Spitz pitched a near perfect game allowing only 2 Hits and going the distance to get the Win.

The line for Spitz was 7 Innings Pitched; 1 Run on 2 Hits; 4 BB, 5-K's and 3-E's. The Sophomore Dolphins were a bit casual on defense at times, but quickly made up for it with several impressive plays; two double plays were recorded in the game.

In the 2nd Inning Spitz made two outstanding back to back plays to end the inning and a scoring threat by Grayslake. The first was an alert Double Play that was initiated by Spitz; 1-6-3 (Spitz-Gowder-Ormond). The next batter hit a ball that came back at Spitz sharply, who dove to make the stop and then make the throw to Ormond at First base to end the inning. In the first inning it was a 6-4-3 Double Play, that was initiated by Gabe Henreques which ended the inning (Henreques-Cinamon-Ormond). Buddy Herberg played a great defensive game behind the plate.

At the plate Jack Cinamon continued his hot hitting, going 2 for 3, with two singles and 1 RBI; Pedro Rosa - 2 singles and 1 RBI; Frank Gowder - Double and a Single and 1-RBI. Also with hits were Devyn Cullers and Jason Ormond who each had singles.

The final score was the Dolphins 11-1 over Grayslake in Game 1.

In Game 2 Frank Gowder got the start and the Win. The first two innings were a bit rocky for the Dolphins, but once things settled down the Dolphins got on track. There was no stopping the Sophomore Dolphins who are undefeated in the CPS League and continued with their winning ways, winning their 16th straight game.

Gowder pitched 6 innings, allowing 5 Runs on 9 Hits. The defense was sloppy at times, but the Dolphins made the plays to get out of the jambs. Gowder walked 3 batters and had one strikeout. Pedro Rosa got the Save recording 2-K's in the final inning.

Sophomore Phil Garner was 3 for 3 at the plate with 2-RBI's. Jason Ormond was 3 for 4 at the plate, with 2 Singles and a Double for 2-RBI's and Frank Gowder was 2 for 4 with a Double and a Single for 2-RBI's. Vernon Jordan and Dae Bowden (1-RBI) each had Singles.

The final score in Game 2 was Young over Grayslake 9-5.
Last edited by mark ormond
Just reporting what happened in a game. Sorry if that bothers you so, but I have been around youth sports for many years and am a promoter of many kids. Know that about me. I can't read unwritten rules and this one certainly sounds a lot like it is your rule. What other rules do you suggest we all follow here.

I suggest you just get over it!

Best personal regards....and by the way, your real name might tell us more about you. Or should we read something into your pseudonym ~ should it be perhaps, 'Regression to being mean?'
quote:
There is kind of an unwritten rule here. Don't plug your own kid.....

I've been on this site for the nearly 6 years or so of its existence.

Ormond....THERE IS NO SUCH RULE ANYWHERE, WRITTEN OR UNWRITTEN.

As a matter of fact, posts about success that kids have IS ENCOURAGED. Your own son or someone else's son.

Enough sarcasm and cynicism on the boards already.

The only thing discouraged is adults being critical of kids spelling and grammar skills. The reason for that is very simple, i.e., we want kids to participate and post and not be intimidated by someone commenting about their spelling and grammar skills....that is for their teacher to do.
Did anyone see the Tribune Article on the Shaw kid from Harlan? Quite a story and you have to hope for success especially hard for a kid like this.

My son's team played Young this year as they have for a few years and I was quite impressed with some of the talent they had. Makes you wonder how good they could be if they had the resources that our school has. I'm sure the story is the same at other top Public League Baseball Schools. I thought that Young had only one coach on the Varsity level...maybe that was just one day, but if you give them 3 Varsity Coaches and a facility like ours and I'm sure these schools would be competing for State Championships just as some of the Suburban Schools have been on a regular basis, and even more kids from the Public League would get recognition and college oportunities.

It would be great to see some outside sources help with funding if possible. I can't think of a better way to see baseball money spent. I really liked that story on Shaw. How about a showcase by PBR, MVP, White Sox Academy or one of the outfits that runs them with the Public League Baseball Programs benefiting?
I have been working with economically disadvantaged youth in the city of Chicago for many years. Baseball in the city of Chicago is challenging, but can be done.

The city programs struggle at all levels because of the lack of funding for facilities, coaches, etc.

It is great when the teams from the outlying areas such as Grayslake High School come in to play in the city. It really is a different world. It was very impressive for our Whitney Young players to see the outstanding facilities at Barrington High School several weeks ago. Many of the city kids have never played on fields like are in that kind of a school district. It is both intimidating and impressive to them and lets them know about something beyond what they see every day.

A quote from the May 7, Chicago Sun Times (page 85A) accurately gives some perspective; a Hispanic Girl who plays s****r at Lane Tech and will be attending Loyola University next year.

"There are times when people look at Lane Tech and don't think we can compete.........Certain schools have more........I do not think it is fair that some schools have more. I can't fix that, but I hope that someday people will."

This article in the Sports section is focused on different issues, but once again an improved perspective on many issues will occur when there is more of an exchange between the city schools and the suburban schools.

This is just my opinion; I can only share with you that there is definitely a lot of talent to be developed in the city, but more skilled coaching is surely needed. I think I speak for any of the city teams, we would welcome help from any venue.
Beenthere,

Well said, and I hope you feel the same way about the elders spelling also.lol..

Mark,

I am glad your son had a good day, hopefully many more to follow. If you ever run any camps or anything where you need a old washed up pitching guy, I would be more than willing to give you a couple days of my time. I'll stick Cangelosi in a shoebox and bring him one day too.
Many , not all of those kids just need some direction and role models like you. Good Job!

I learned yesterday that the guys at MVP, provided a place for some of the city kids to work out this past winter. They have a younger team out of the city under their umbrella. Hamlin Park Top Teir, I applaud them for that.

I also saw a couple of their guys chatting in between the games. One from their suburban team and one from the younger city team. Could'nt help but think to myself how good a picture that was. Very different backgrounds, same love of the game...
Been There,

Thank you for your offer to help. Our two head coaches this summer who are going to be working with our 15-U players are Ted Krga and Ray Ramos. Krga's son, Mike (out of St. Ignatius) was an amateur draft pick several years ago and Ramos' son is cow playing at the University of Missouri. We would welcome having your involvement with any time you might have.

The players are serious about the game and want to learn.

Call me at your convenience 312-922-9556 (office).

Mark
Mark Ormond does a great job with the Clubbers of giving kids from all backrounds a first class travel baseball experience. Good fields, great uniforms, introductions,announcers, it makes the kids feel important because they are important. It is about the kids, not the parents. The kids get reat competition, coaching, and an experience that can't be duplicated. It helps them in high school as well.
The biggest challenge in the City of Chicago to playing the game of baseball is gaining access to baseball fields. This is especially true at the high school level. Despite the large park system that exists for the benefit of the city of Chicago residents, the ability to gain access to a baseball field in the city is nearly impossible. There are plenty of players with talent, but the Chicago political and patronage system makes playing America's Game in one of the largest urban areas in the country a scarcity.

The condition of the few regulation baseball fields that do exist in Chicago is also abysmal. Last year I attempted to work with some of the highest officials in the Chicago Park District. A $10,000 payment to the City could have benefitted the development of baseball fields in the City of Chicago, but was struck down by both the Chicago Park District and also by the local alderman. Instead the payment was made to the Illinois Institute of Technology for the use of their baseball field.

Apparently, playing the patronage game is what is required to gain access to having the use of a baseball field. Whether it is for a practice or a game, you do not see many high schoolers playing baseball and the reason is gaining access. Additionally, for a city with two MLB baseball teams their is barely a glimmer of support for the development of any local talent. I have tried appealing to major league baseball, but last year gained the support in the amount of $25K from the Chicago Blackhawks Hockey team. Sure there are the few token things that the Cubs and White Sox might do, but there is nothing that is truly meaningful to support the development of high school talent. The political system is definitely at work in the city that works as the access to the few decent fields that do exist is given to a select few. They are completely off limits unless you are affiliated with a local tavern that is working with an established softball league. So it goes.

Yesterday I met with a highly placed CPS individual, and once again made an overture with substantial financial support for the rights to use a City owned baseball field on an extemely limited basis. It was again no dice. So if you do not have the right connections NO baseball is going to be played on that particular field by any high school age city kids this summer that 'can play' and want to learn the game at an advanced level. I do not get it, but was told that you have to know how to go through the existing system. What exactly does that mean? All that can be seen in the city are baseball games played at the peewee level or junior youth level. Apparently the 'powers that be' do not regard baseball as a game that should be played in the third largest city in America.

The $10K deal stands..........where in Chicago can a team find a regulation baseball field with an elevated pitchers mound for very limited use. I already am using the University of Illinois for a lot of my needs. Is a CPS school interested? Supposedly CPS needs funding. For the record, I do not have any political connections and everything is above board. Anyone have suggestions?
Clemente 7 Lane Tech 5- 9 innings

Just what you would expect with this rivalry. Clemente opens with 1, Lane answers with 3, Clemente gets 2 back, Clemente gets 2, Lane ties it with 2 out 2 strikes in the 7th, Clemente gets 2 in the 9th.
A great ballgame to be a part of, great players playing with heart and emotion. This was definitely a playoff-like atmosphere and I’m sure it will help both teams come state. The only thing I wish is that we could do it 2 times this year instead of one. Maybe we can meet on the big stage at the Cell and put on a show for the CPS title.

Justin Stringer
www.doitrightbaseball.com
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
No disrespect to Taft, but they do not play anyone. It's great that they are 20-0.....but playing Sullivan, Stienmetz, Kelvyn Park, and the likes can make 20-0 very misleading.How many good public league, or suburban league teams have they played?

Saw in the paper where a certain public league team is in thier sights. It's several CPS teams that they need to deal with...not just one! ie..Harlan, Clemente, and Lane.

What notable oppenents has Taft defeated? Can you name two, or maybe just one?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.