Skip to main content

Since everyone else is showing love to their conferences so will I.

This should be a breakout year for the public league. Please don’t laugh or you might be crying in May. The CPL has realigned the conferences again and placed the top 13 teams in one conference with the others distributed out in area conferences. Lane Tech, Harlan, Clemente, Simeon, Young, Kenwood, Northside Prep, Hyde Park, Mather, Foreman, Schurz, Lake View, and Von Stueben make up the “Super Conference” or Jackie Robinson or whatever they call it now.

Here is our capsule for 06: Lane Tech Indians
Return the core of a young and talented team that finished last season with a City Championship and Regional Championship before losing to OPRF in the sectional finals. Lane has one of the best 07’ classes in the state, with 8 of the 9 projected starters.
Sr./CF William Davila (committed to College of Dupage) leads the Indians at the plate and on the field. The Junior class is led by returning starters SS Josh Colon, 3B Sam Graebe, RF Danny Serrano, and RHP Bryan Platt. Other top Jr.’s are C Jay Quilles, LHP/LF Scott Doebler, 2B Adam Kubes, and 1B/RHP Adam Nieves.

I’ll give a few others a try:
Just opinions

Harlan returns a solid group of players who lost to Lane in the City Championship and gave St. Rita all the could handle in the state. Sterling McKinley OF/P and Vance Thomas LHP/OF will be tough for Coach Kenny’s Falcons. 4/27 LT @ Harlan 4pm

Clemente has some talented players that could make this team real tough to beat if they gel. Oscar Sanchez LHP, Gabriel Perez RHP/INF, Anthony Alvarado OF, and Elliott Cebollero OF will lead the Wildcats under new head coach Jeff Fricka. Clemente @ Lane 5/15 4pm

Whitney Young has some very good arms and have done real well in the lower levels with the 06-07 class. Jamaal Hollis and Max Friedman can beat anyone in the state anywhere. 4/18 WY @ Lane 4pm

If you are from the public league or know about the players, lets hear from you.

Raffy- Give us a capsule of the wildcats. Be humble, but tell us about your strengths.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

im a member of the clemente wildcats team...we have a group of guys just determined to win..oscar sanchez is looking mighty fine this year after a down year last year...gabriel perez should also be a big force this year as our second ace....marvin sanchez and ralphy up the middle has to be one of the top ss-2b combos in the state..marvin not much credit, but hey watch out for him to have a break out year....with elliot, devin melcio, and anthony alvarez, in the outfield,those guys can cover alot of ground with their speed..every one on the team has speed which can help us if we can get people on base early in the games...also watch out for eric estrada a junior pitcher....
I can speak for the Whitney Young Sophomore program which came up big with several elite level Class of 2009 Freshman ballplayers who are now playing up on the Sophomore team.

Dai Bowden (EH) from Clubbers and returns to Clubbers in 2006
Jack Cinoman (2B) from Clubbers will play for Roos in 2006
Frank Gowder (RHP, SS, 3B) from Clubbers and returns to Clubbers in 2006
Gabe Henriques a switch hitter (RHP, SS, 2B) from Westlawn Wildcats; will play for Clubbers in 2006
Jason Ormond (RHP, 1B) from Clubbers and will return to Clubbers
Pedro Rosa (CF) from Arlington Longshots; will play for Clubbers in 2006
Last edited by mark ormond
quote:
Originally posted by Cougar235:
I think Lane tech has a good team BUT Clemente is full of studs this year i think Clemente will take city

Taft is usually pretty good except Pildes doesnt like playing a hard schedule playing for Pildes back in 98,99,00 i know this

how's clemente doing in non-conference so far?
I am with ant on losing to Mt carmel by 3 pildes never wants to challenge his teams and schedules sullivan, steinmetz, marshall, westinghouse, once in a while if he thinks he is gonna have a good team or a stud team he will mix in some decent teams i think to get respect you need to play a suburban schedule except for your conference games
dont get me wrong Pildes is a good coach he knows his game BUT he is always to worried about his record as a coach and taft would be known if he would just schedule lane, clemente, harlan, simeon even for one game. back in 99,00 when we were in the "SUPER CONERENCE" the sun times had us last in that conference and we came in third after lane and clemente and only losing to both tieams by 1 0r 2 but no one gave us respect because he didnt want to play suburban schools you only get better and respect by playing the best
quote:
Originally posted by Coach 2:
I glance at this site from time to time but up until now have always resisted posting. I am not interested in becoming a part of the back and forth that goes on here between players, parents and gosh knows who else. The competitive banter that I have seen between spokespersons for the various club teams is particularly unappealing. However, on this occasion, regarding a high school game, I have decided to respond to the misinformation that is so typical of what abounds on these sites.
Firstly, Sullivan was placed this year in the conference with Taft. In my long tenure at Taft this is the first year we are in the same conference. We have not played in a number of years. Neither of us had any input in the allignment of the conference. We must play the teams in our conference (twice).
Secondly, Our starters were removed from the game while we hit in the bottom of the second inning. Players who will get limited numbers of at bats played and hit for the remainder of the game. In the bottom of the third inning, with the bases loaded and one out, the hitter was instructed to bunt and not run to first base. This turned into an inning ending double play. In the top of the fourth inning, the starting pitcher (a sophomore) was replaced by a freshman. At the end of the half inning the Sullivan coach informed the umpires that he did not want to continue the game, thus ending the contest. This was probably in the best interest of all participants. Even if the game were called because of darkness at that point, it would be a suspended game and continue from the point of suspension.
The disparity of talent between programs in the Public League can be very great. The problems encountered by the coaching staff in Public League programs are likely quite different and perhaps unappreciated by those in very different circumstances. I would simply hope that adults would hesitate to offer definitive opinions regarding subjects and circumstances about which they know little. Kids will be kids. They will debate, argue, brag etc. on these sites. As adults, we should be better than that. Finally, I will agree with previous posters that a game such as this benefits noone. Neither team learns much about how to play the game when the score is so lopsided.
Harlan has to be one of the fastest teams in this area.. Top of thier lineup has two kids who flat out fly. 6.5 6.6 stuff..

Coach2

This would be spokesperson #1 for the Orioles... I respect your opinion as to not wanting to banter back and forth, but I beleive as a whole this site is geared for the kids and the Parents of the kids to converse, have fun and learn..
As far as us spokeman goes, I don't see the harm in letting people know where the area kids are playing after HS. Although I have no hulks and my eyes rarley pop out of my head, I don't see the problem with a coach giving a kid his props.
I have personally met with kids from this site after they had been cut with their HS teams , worked with them, and am working on finding them a place to play baseball this Summer. More good comes from this site than spokespersons bragging up their teams. You are right about one thing, kids are kids and they need veteran coaches and parents for guidance. You have been down the path with many former players, my feelings are help the ones coming up with all the yrs of knowledge and baseball and experiences from our pasts. Be it on this site or on the field..
quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
While Taft may have a solid team, they would be remiss to even talk about their record until they play some quality teams. When they begin beating Lane, Harlan, Clemente, Whitney Young, Von, etc. from their conference, they can brag all they want.

none of those teams are in our conference. i am not doing any bragging
The Whitney Young Sophomore Team defeated Lane Tech today at WYHS 13-1 in a CPS Super Conference Game. Jason Ormond, Freshman RHP was the winning pitcher going 5 Innings for a complete game; 1 Run allowed; 2 Hits; 2 BB; 2 K's. Eric Tab the Center Fielder went 2 for 4; hitting a 2 RBI Home Run in the 3rd Inning and a Double (4 RBI's) to put the first two runs on the board for the Dolphins. Also with 2 hits was the shortstop Gabe Henriques (2 Doubles, 4 RBI) and the 2nd baseman Troy White (2 Singles). The defense was stellar for Whitney Young with Frank Gowder at third and Valmar Jordan at first base, commiting no errors and scoring 13 Runs on 8 Hits. Ormond pitched 3 'no-hit' innings in a 8-1 Win versus Currie High School on April 14; Freshman Nathan Cayman got the save.

This is the second big win for the WYHS Sophomores who defeated Barrington High School 6-4 in Barrington on April 8. Freshman Gabe Henriques was the winning pitcher, going 6 Innings with southpaw Freshman Andrew Platt getting the save. Solid defensive play and key hits (8) made the difference for the Dolphins who traveled to Barrington for the game.
On a pleasant note, I do have high regard for Whitney Young. I watched a Varsity Game and a Soph game and of all the years I have seen Public League Teams, The Young Team we played this year seemed to have tons of talent, both Varsity and Soph. I saw Victor Diaz on Clemente a few years back and though there where some other good players on the team, I didn't see the talent that I thought Whitney Young had this year. It would be really nice if they ahd a few more coaches.
Last edited by FastballDad
quote:
Originally posted by FastballDad:
Can't even say your own team is .500 with getting ripped. Ok if it makes you feel better, they are a strong .500 team and that makes an already strong Whitney Young Team better.

.500 is better than lifetime .000 Ant. Watch it someone might step on you.

way to miss the whole point of my post, which was to point out the absurdity of it.

How insecure of a person are you that you have to post and point out that a team they were happy to beat isn't as good as they think. If they feel it is a big win, good for them. There is no need to be a jerk and come and diminish that for them.

Get real, your intentions weren't to talk about your "own team". However, if they were, it's sad that you can't grasp how your comment would be misconstrued as talking ****.

On a totally unrelated note:

Lane 12
Whitney Young 5

Hollis was cruising around 92, but had quite a few walks. A lot of potential there.
In the Whitney Young/Lane Tech game Hollis had 10 walks over 4 innings. He also hit a homerun. When Hollis was lifted after four innings he had thrown over 100 pitches and Whitney Young was leading 5-0.

But it was Lane Tech who got the big win and the CPS bragging rights.

Lots of potential for Hollis, but it is all about mechanics and gaining control.
Pitchers: Hollis, young; Platt, lane; sanchez, clemente; keingler?, von; doebler, lane; perez, clemente; friedman, young

Catchers: Quiles, lane; marty, clemente

1st:sanchez, clemente;???

2nd:Marvin, clemente; kubes, lane

3rd: graebe, lane; ????

SS: Raplhy, clemente; colon, lane

OF: Davila, lane; devin, clemente; diaz, von stuben; serrano, lane; alvardo, clemente; mckinley, harlen; hollis, young

after i looked at this again...i noticed alot of lane and clemente....oh well...thats what its lookin like.
It was Young over Simeon 7-5 in a Sophomore Super Conference game played on April 25 at Simeon. A clutch hit 2 RBI Double off the bat of Gabe Henriques (Freshman) in the top of the 7th Inning gave the Dolphins the lead. Henriques was the starting pitcher going 4 Innings, allowing 5 Runs on 5 Hits and 2 Errors (5-K, 2-BB and 2-E's). Freshman Southpaw Andrew Platt pitched 2 Innings and Jason Ormond (Freshman) closed the game out getting the Save pitching for three consecutive outs in the bottom of the 7th Inning.

Jack Cinoman (Freshman) was 2 for 4 with a Single and a Home Run. Young scored their 7 Runs on 7 Hits and 8-E's. Simeon scored 5 Runs on 8 Hits and 2-E's.
u had a sophomore playing his first time on varsity as one of the top outfielders....lets be serious...even though he may be sick in the future...dont give it to him without earning it...have him start ripping of decent pitchers, then after that...have him face lane and clemente pitchers..i played wit luis a little at hamlin park...he is a beast, now let him prove it for himself, he doesnt need help
quote:
Originally posted by Youre sick.:
Pitchers: Hollis, young; Platt, lane; sanchez, clemente; keingler?, von; doebler, lane; perez, clemente; friedman, young

Catchers: Quiles, lane; marty, clemente

1st:sanchez, clemente;???

2nd:Marvin, clemente; kubes, lane

3rd: graebe, lane; ????

SS: Raplhy, clemente; colon, lane

OF: Davila, lane; devin, clemente; diaz, von stuben; serrano, lane; alvardo, clemente; mckinley, harlen; hollis, young

after i looked at this again...i noticed alot of lane and clemente....oh well...thats what its lookin like.

wait is that what you think will be the all city team, or lane and clemente's roster..haha
In a Sophomore game played at Kilbourn Park it was Young over Schurz 15-1. Freshman Pedro Rosa was the winning pitcher allowing only 1 hit and 1 unearned Run in 3 Innings pitched (2 K's, 1 BB). The Sophomore Dolphins had their bats going early which gave Rosa lots of run support . Eric Tabb pitched extremely well in relief allowing no hits in 2 innings pitched (3 K's).

First Inning homeruns by Freshmen Dae Bowden (2 RBI) and Frank Gowder gave the Dolphins the early lead. In the 2nd Inning Gabe Henriques hit a 2 RBI Homerun and in the 3rd Inning Valmar Jordan crushed a ball for 2 RBI's that was hit over the center field fence. Valmar went 2 for 3 also hitting a Double; Gowder 2 for 3 with a Homerun and a Double. Henriques was 3 for 3 at the plate, in addition to his Homerun he hit a Double and a Single for a total of 5 RBI's.

The Sophomore Dolphins are undefeated in CPS League play.
quote:
tle bias, but thats what it appears to be...the middle infield is definitely right though, no body better ALLAROUND than ralphy and josh...hes eligible now, last year some grade trouble, but he fixed it.

can anyone help me out with other catchers or first b

I think Shaw from Harlan is better than Ralphy the guy hit .467 last year is a fine defensive player. Can't argue with the numbers, ask about him. Ralphy is good, Josh Colon is good, Pouncil from Simeon is good, Shaw is just a little bit better.
quote:
Originally posted by Mistadontplay:
quote:
tle bias, but thats what it appears to be...the middle infield is definitely right though, no body better ALLAROUND than ralphy and josh...hes eligible now, last year some grade trouble, but he fixed it.

can anyone help me out with other catchers or first b

I think Shaw from Harlan is better than Ralphy the guy hit .467 last year is a fine defensive player. Can't argue with the numbers, ask about him. Ralphy is good, Josh Colon is good, Pouncil from Simeon is good, Shaw is just a little bit better.

You know wat,your right u cant argue with numbers.Garcia hit 483, that looks a little better than 467.
Thanks, rosy, for that dose of wisdom. I have high regard for your posts.

Ok kids, play the game and please don't trash talk people who are working hard to keep their eligibility. It can be difficult for some...for others it comes a little easier. I believe that everything balances out in the end, in some way.

"Sick"...My friend keep your nose to the ball and use the internet carefully and with respect to the situations that other people are in. Luis Diaz has been proving himself for many years against pitchers all over this city, it's suburbs and this country. He might be the best natural hitter this city has seen for some time. If he had been able to play his freshman year as a varsity player, which he would have, his name would have been very familiar to most of you.

His name is already familiar to many coaches and players in the suburbs and the city throughout the summer travel leagues.

These coaches and players have learned that you have to be very careful when pitching to this young man. He is a beast if there ever was one.

If you must throw up internet challenges, do this, challenge yourself to keep to what is known...not what is rumoured. Im sure Luis is working very hard. I know through my..as they were called here..."sources" that he has been disciplined appropriately, week to week. This may be a saving grace for the teams that were fortunate enough to not have to face him.

And one other note. While it is fun to fantasize about all star teams..."best of" selections. Great teams are made of much more than a stack of top shelf players. I've seen many teams that have incredible success with a variety of caliber of athlete. There are many intangibles involved in what makes a great team. The best teams play at a level higher than their actual skill level because they compliment each other and learn to really play as unit. there are many factors that create this scenario.

Anyhow,I have been around this game for many years in this city and it's suburbs, I read this board everyday. I have never posted until now. I posted because Im finding that some of the content in this thread is a bit disturbing, in that, there are very personal comments and speculations being made here and I find it to be very irresponsible and low spirited. Stick to the game and let the chips fall where they may. Leave the personal stuff for the parents, teachers, coaches...etc.

Lots of great talent in the city right now. It's fun to watch all these guys, all over town, that I've watched for years, bring it to the high school level. Basketball has always been strong in the city...it's a natural in some sense. All you need is a ball to get a game. Baseball is a much more complicated thing in terms of organization, coaching the various skills, equipment expenses, umps, etc. on and on. If the city could get it together and somehow step up the game...we would be regular visitors to the state tourney.

I find, sometimes, on this board that there are some very smug comments being made about inner city ball. It comes down to this...money and finding coaches who'll stick to it...other stuff to but way to complex to get into here.

Same old I guess? The suburban teams and schools have access to many more resources than we city dogs do and I dont always understand why some of these comments have this smug, sarcastic tone to them...makes me wonder.

Have fun folks and players. Enjoy these four years if you have made your high school team...these will be some of your best memories, seriously.
Last edited by Seventh Son
The WYHS varsity squad has been going through some tough times, but perhaps things will get better now that Sophomore Sam Spitz returns to the varsity squad.

Spitz made his 2006 debut pitching today for the WYHS Sophomore Dolphins against Grayslake High School and getting the Win. Spitz plays in the offseason for Hamlin Park. Last year he was on the 15-U Hamlin Park team that captured the AAU Division 2 National and was the runner-up at the 15-U CABA National Championship. His arm seems to be in good shape as he pitched in the first game of a doubleheader, returning after a long and debilitating illness. Spitz pitched a near perfect game allowing only 2 Hits and going the distance to get the Win.

The line for Spitz was 7 Innings Pitched; 1 Run on 2 Hits; 4 BB, 5-K's and 3-E's. The Sophomore Dolphins were a bit casual on defense at times, but quickly made up for it with several impressive plays; two double plays were recorded in the game.

In the 2nd Inning Spitz made two outstanding back to back plays to end the inning and a scoring threat by Grayslake. The first was an alert Double Play that was initiated by Spitz; 1-6-3 (Spitz-Gowder-Ormond). The next batter hit a ball that came back at Spitz sharply, who dove to make the stop and then make the throw to Ormond at First base to end the inning. In the first inning it was a 6-4-3 Double Play, that was initiated by Gabe Henreques which ended the inning (Henreques-Cinamon-Ormond). Buddy Herberg played a great defensive game behind the plate.

At the plate Jack Cinamon continued his hot hitting, going 2 for 3, with two singles and 1 RBI; Pedro Rosa - 2 singles and 1 RBI; Frank Gowder - Double and a Single and 1-RBI. Also with hits were Devyn Cullers and Jason Ormond who each had singles.

The final score was the Dolphins 11-1 over Grayslake in Game 1.

In Game 2 Frank Gowder got the start and the Win. The first two innings were a bit rocky for the Dolphins, but once things settled down the Dolphins got on track. There was no stopping the Sophomore Dolphins who are undefeated in the CPS League and continued with their winning ways, winning their 16th straight game.

Gowder pitched 6 innings, allowing 5 Runs on 9 Hits. The defense was sloppy at times, but the Dolphins made the plays to get out of the jambs. Gowder walked 3 batters and had one strikeout. Pedro Rosa got the Save recording 2-K's in the final inning.

Sophomore Phil Garner was 3 for 3 at the plate with 2-RBI's. Jason Ormond was 3 for 4 at the plate, with 2 Singles and a Double for 2-RBI's and Frank Gowder was 2 for 4 with a Double and a Single for 2-RBI's. Vernon Jordan and Dae Bowden (1-RBI) each had Singles.

The final score in Game 2 was Young over Grayslake 9-5.
Just reporting what happened in a game. Sorry if that bothers you so, but I have been around youth sports for many years and am a promoter of many kids. Know that about me. I can't read unwritten rules and this one certainly sounds a lot like it is your rule. What other rules do you suggest we all follow here.

I suggest you just get over it!

Best personal regards....and by the way, your real name might tell us more about you. Or should we read something into your pseudonym ~ should it be perhaps, 'Regression to being mean?'
quote:
There is kind of an unwritten rule here. Don't plug your own kid.....

I've been on this site for the nearly 6 years or so of its existence.

Ormond....THERE IS NO SUCH RULE ANYWHERE, WRITTEN OR UNWRITTEN.

As a matter of fact, posts about success that kids have IS ENCOURAGED. Your own son or someone else's son.

Enough sarcasm and cynicism on the boards already.

The only thing discouraged is adults being critical of kids spelling and grammar skills. The reason for that is very simple, i.e., we want kids to participate and post and not be intimidated by someone commenting about their spelling and grammar skills....that is for their teacher to do.
Did anyone see the Tribune Article on the Shaw kid from Harlan? Quite a story and you have to hope for success especially hard for a kid like this.

My son's team played Young this year as they have for a few years and I was quite impressed with some of the talent they had. Makes you wonder how good they could be if they had the resources that our school has. I'm sure the story is the same at other top Public League Baseball Schools. I thought that Young had only one coach on the Varsity level...maybe that was just one day, but if you give them 3 Varsity Coaches and a facility like ours and I'm sure these schools would be competing for State Championships just as some of the Suburban Schools have been on a regular basis, and even more kids from the Public League would get recognition and college oportunities.

It would be great to see some outside sources help with funding if possible. I can't think of a better way to see baseball money spent. I really liked that story on Shaw. How about a showcase by PBR, MVP, White Sox Academy or one of the outfits that runs them with the Public League Baseball Programs benefiting?
I have been working with economically disadvantaged youth in the city of Chicago for many years. Baseball in the city of Chicago is challenging, but can be done.

The city programs struggle at all levels because of the lack of funding for facilities, coaches, etc.

It is great when the teams from the outlying areas such as Grayslake High School come in to play in the city. It really is a different world. It was very impressive for our Whitney Young players to see the outstanding facilities at Barrington High School several weeks ago. Many of the city kids have never played on fields like are in that kind of a school district. It is both intimidating and impressive to them and lets them know about something beyond what they see every day.

A quote from the May 7, Chicago Sun Times (page 85A) accurately gives some perspective; a Hispanic Girl who plays s****r at Lane Tech and will be attending Loyola University next year.

"There are times when people look at Lane Tech and don't think we can compete.........Certain schools have more........I do not think it is fair that some schools have more. I can't fix that, but I hope that someday people will."

This article in the Sports section is focused on different issues, but once again an improved perspective on many issues will occur when there is more of an exchange between the city schools and the suburban schools.

This is just my opinion; I can only share with you that there is definitely a lot of talent to be developed in the city, but more skilled coaching is surely needed. I think I speak for any of the city teams, we would welcome help from any venue.
Beenthere,

Well said, and I hope you feel the same way about the elders spelling also.lol..

Mark,

I am glad your son had a good day, hopefully many more to follow. If you ever run any camps or anything where you need a old washed up pitching guy, I would be more than willing to give you a couple days of my time. I'll stick Cangelosi in a shoebox and bring him one day too.
Many , not all of those kids just need some direction and role models like you. Good Job!

I learned yesterday that the guys at MVP, provided a place for some of the city kids to work out this past winter. They have a younger team out of the city under their umbrella. Hamlin Park Top Teir, I applaud them for that.

I also saw a couple of their guys chatting in between the games. One from their suburban team and one from the younger city team. Could'nt help but think to myself how good a picture that was. Very different backgrounds, same love of the game...
Been There,

Thank you for your offer to help. Our two head coaches this summer who are going to be working with our 15-U players are Ted Krga and Ray Ramos. Krga's son, Mike (out of St. Ignatius) was an amateur draft pick several years ago and Ramos' son is cow playing at the University of Missouri. We would welcome having your involvement with any time you might have.

The players are serious about the game and want to learn.

Call me at your convenience 312-922-9556 (office).

Mark
Mark Ormond does a great job with the Clubbers of giving kids from all backrounds a first class travel baseball experience. Good fields, great uniforms, introductions,announcers, it makes the kids feel important because they are important. It is about the kids, not the parents. The kids get reat competition, coaching, and an experience that can't be duplicated. It helps them in high school as well.
The biggest challenge in the City of Chicago to playing the game of baseball is gaining access to baseball fields. This is especially true at the high school level. Despite the large park system that exists for the benefit of the city of Chicago residents, the ability to gain access to a baseball field in the city is nearly impossible. There are plenty of players with talent, but the Chicago political and patronage system makes playing America's Game in one of the largest urban areas in the country a scarcity.

The condition of the few regulation baseball fields that do exist in Chicago is also abysmal. Last year I attempted to work with some of the highest officials in the Chicago Park District. A $10,000 payment to the City could have benefitted the development of baseball fields in the City of Chicago, but was struck down by both the Chicago Park District and also by the local alderman. Instead the payment was made to the Illinois Institute of Technology for the use of their baseball field.

Apparently, playing the patronage game is what is required to gain access to having the use of a baseball field. Whether it is for a practice or a game, you do not see many high schoolers playing baseball and the reason is gaining access. Additionally, for a city with two MLB baseball teams their is barely a glimmer of support for the development of any local talent. I have tried appealing to major league baseball, but last year gained the support in the amount of $25K from the Chicago Blackhawks Hockey team. Sure there are the few token things that the Cubs and White Sox might do, but there is nothing that is truly meaningful to support the development of high school talent. The political system is definitely at work in the city that works as the access to the few decent fields that do exist is given to a select few. They are completely off limits unless you are affiliated with a local tavern that is working with an established softball league. So it goes.

Yesterday I met with a highly placed CPS individual, and once again made an overture with substantial financial support for the rights to use a City owned baseball field on an extemely limited basis. It was again no dice. So if you do not have the right connections NO baseball is going to be played on that particular field by any high school age city kids this summer that 'can play' and want to learn the game at an advanced level. I do not get it, but was told that you have to know how to go through the existing system. What exactly does that mean? All that can be seen in the city are baseball games played at the peewee level or junior youth level. Apparently the 'powers that be' do not regard baseball as a game that should be played in the third largest city in America.

The $10K deal stands..........where in Chicago can a team find a regulation baseball field with an elevated pitchers mound for very limited use. I already am using the University of Illinois for a lot of my needs. Is a CPS school interested? Supposedly CPS needs funding. For the record, I do not have any political connections and everything is above board. Anyone have suggestions?
Clemente 7 Lane Tech 5- 9 innings

Just what you would expect with this rivalry. Clemente opens with 1, Lane answers with 3, Clemente gets 2 back, Clemente gets 2, Lane ties it with 2 out 2 strikes in the 7th, Clemente gets 2 in the 9th.
A great ballgame to be a part of, great players playing with heart and emotion. This was definitely a playoff-like atmosphere and I’m sure it will help both teams come state. The only thing I wish is that we could do it 2 times this year instead of one. Maybe we can meet on the big stage at the Cell and put on a show for the CPS title.

Justin Stringer
www.doitrightbaseball.com
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
No disrespect to Taft, but they do not play anyone. It's great that they are 20-0.....but playing Sullivan, Stienmetz, Kelvyn Park, and the likes can make 20-0 very misleading.How many good public league, or suburban league teams have they played?

Saw in the paper where a certain public league team is in thier sights. It's several CPS teams that they need to deal with...not just one! ie..Harlan, Clemente, and Lane.

What notable oppenents has Taft defeated? Can you name two, or maybe just one?
Good luck to them. But beating the likes of Kenwood,Lakeview, Mather, or Schurz is not(even though thier in the Super Conference), a true measure of beating a team in that conference. The teams you mention IMO should not be in that conference in the first place.
Not trying to disrespect anyone or any team, but if you follow CPS baseball, and are true to yourself,then you know these do not represent the conference well!
Schurz just got back in this year,and for the life of me....I can't understand why they have not moved Kenwood to another conference.

Too many teams are in that conference as it is. You get better by playing good competion! Why not have Lane and Clemente, Simeon and Harlan,Clemente and Harlan (get the picture?), so on...play twice? Instead of just once.
quote:
Originally posted by baseball8:
That's great! CPS has more than one good team. By the way, I saw where Clemente beat Lane Yesterday. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Nothing really to go "hmmmm" about. Clemente was not only the better team in that game, they also have some very impressive wins on their resume.
CPS Sophomore City Semi-Final will be Whitney Young versus Clemente on Tuesday, May 30 at Kenwood. In the quarter final game played at Young on Thursday it was Young over Mather 14-1. Buddy Hegbert was the winning pitcher for Young. Two out of the park homeruns accounted for 6 of the RBI's by Dae Bowden and Frank Gowder.

In the opposing bracket it will be Harlan against Von Stueben.

The winners will meet in the CPS Sophomore Championship to be played on May 31 at Northeastern Illinois University.
The CPS Sophomore Semi-Final Playoff Winners in games played on May 30:

It was Young over Clemente 8-5 at Kenwood; Buddy Hegberg was the winning pitcher; the game was called after 5 Innings due to rain and darkness.

Harlan over Von Stueben 4-3

The CPS Championship Game will be Young vs Harlan at Northeastern Illinois University on May 31. Weather permitting. This is a change in location.
The Championship game for the CPS Sophomores was played at Northeastern Illinois University on May 31, 2006. It was Whitney Young over Harlan, 5-4 in a 7 Inning nail biter. This game had a little bit of everything including a 6th Inning controversial call that fortunately had no effect on the outcome of the game.

The winning pitcher was freshman, Jason Ormond (4-1-1) 6 IP; 4 Runs on 1 Hits; 2-K, 2-BB, 1-HBP; all of the runs were unearned; 5 errors were committed. Only two balls left the infield during the first 6 innings of play. Buddy Herberg got the Save pitching for the final three outs, getting the first out on a fly ball to CF and then striking out the last two batters he faced with an over powering fastball, bringing one of the batters to his knees as he swung and missed.

The infield defense was solid for Whitney Young with especially strong play from Jack Cinoman who made several key plays at 2B, Gabe Henriques at Shortstop kept the ball from leaving the infield, and Frank Gowder at 3B and Valmar Jordan at 1B and Buddy Herberg who was behind the plate.

Getting the key hits for the Dolphins were Gabe Henriques (1-RBI), Eric Tabb (1-RBI) and Jack Cinoman. Val Jordan had 2 RBI's off an E-6. All 5 of the Young runs were scored in the 2nd Inning by Jack Cinoman, Jason Ormond, Frank Gowder, Gabe Henriques and Eric Tabb when Harlan defensively broke down.

Harlan scored unearned two runs in the opening frame off of one hit and 2 errors. Things got interesting in the 6th Inning when Harlan scored two more unearned runs off of one hit and two errors. This was after an unbelievable 10 minute delay in the game which was the result of a controversial call. The 4 man umpire crew convened over a HBP call. The 2B ump eventually overruled the home plate ump giving first base to a player who offered the bat in attempting to put down a bunt! The pitcher kept his composure during the heated discussion which eventually involved both coaches.

The losing pitcher was Joseph White going 7 IP; allowing only 3 Hits, 6-K's, 4 BB, 3-E. The walks and errors in the 2nd inning proved costly for Harlan.

Congratulations to Head Coach Kevin Harris and Coach Locks for bringing a second consecutive Sophomore Championship to the Whitney Young Magnet High School Dolphins. The 2006 season record for the Dolphins was 25-6 overall and 23-1 in CPS League Play. Calvin Davis, Director of the CPS League (the largest sports league in the state of Illinois) and Eddie Curry, Director of CPS baseball were in attendance at the game and made the trophy presentations.

Thank you to Von Steuben High School for hosting the CPS Sophomore Championship game at their newly renovated homefield, located at Northeastern Illinois University.

CPS Baseball, it's getting better all of the time!
2006 is another disappointment for CPS at the State level. At the CPS Sophomore Baseball Championship game, I spoke briefly with Calvin Davis, Director of the Chicago Public League. The CPS League is the "largest league" in the state of Illinois and is "loaded" with outstanding talent. Davis was quoted in the Chicago Sun Times to have a focus on developing baseball talent. With the talent that is resident in this league how long before a baseball state championship will be coming to the City of Chicago? Who is going to get it done? It will take establishing a goal and having a commitment to getting it done.

The 2006 CPS basketball league has been proven as the most rigourous in the state and is also a recognized developer of basketball talent. This was again proven with two of the top CPS teams making it to the final rounds of the state tournament this year. Who from the CPS League is going to step up and make their mark in Illinois State Baseball? Will it be Lane or Clemente? With Von Stueben's focus on baseball and a new baseball field at Northeastern Illinois University, are they going to be the one? Is Harlan on the cusp? Or is the talent at Young going to be the team that finally steps up to make their mark in the coming years?

Chicago baseball.........it's getting better all of the time.
You have to wonder if the Public League giving up their automatic bid to the elite eight was a mistake. The thinking was that in basketball they could have multiple qualifiers, but it has hurt in baseball. Has a Public League Team made it downstate since they gave up their automatic bid?

Still need more coaches and better facilites (to practice on as well as play on) if they want top take advantage of all that talent.
PUBLIC LEAGUE PLAYOFFS

Brooks 11, Prosser 7
Brooks (17-11): Mike Porras 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 2B; Mike Tisdale 3-for-4, 3 RBI
Curie 6, Steinmetz 4
Curie (17-15): WP Sergio Godinez (5-1); Chris Stewart 3-R HR
Hyde Park 9, Jones 5
Hyde Park (18-13): WP Kenneth Ingram 4 IP, 5 K; Steven Hamilton 2-for-3, RBI
Julian 10, Fenger 0
Julian (6-11): WP Quincy Haymer CG, 8 K
Mather 10, Phillips 0
Mather (13-17): WP Jimmy Ramos CG, 2 H, 6 K; Henry Sanchez 3B, 3 RBI
Morgan Park 5, Kenwood 4
Morgan Park (18-16): WP Maurice Wilson (6-2) CG, 5 K, ER; Donald Newsom 1-for-3, 2B, 2 RBI
quote:
Originally posted by cowboy2007:
where is taft now at home playing playstation.
watch out for clemente because they going to take that city ship because they got the player and the heart that something no one can take.(wacth out bottle of they line up #2,#9,#21,#11 they are danger too just come and see or ask taft0

I think LT will have a lot to say about that.
Also other than #21 those other players are just average. But I enjoyed watching Taft play a
quality team so we could see how their regular season record was a mirage.
Let me just say something about Taft. My son's team (Glenbrook North), play them in the first round of the state tournament. Even though we beat them, they were a quality team with good pitching and good hitting. I feel that if we had not been throwing our #1 pitcher, who is going to Bradley University next fall, they might well have beat us. Unfortunately for Taft the only two errors that they made in the game came in the same inning and we were able to get some runs as a result. To me they were one of the better teams that we played all year. If their record was a mirage, it was a very good one. To go 24-0 is very difficult, even against "inferior" competition. Even the best teams have an off day occasionally and would have difficulty winning 24 in a row.
quote:
Originally posted by Hopperhop:
Let me just say something about Taft. My son's team (Glenbrook North), play them in the first round of the state tournament. Even though we beat them, they were a quality team with good pitching and good hitting. I feel that if we had not been throwing our #1 pitcher, who is going to Bradley University next fall, they might well have beat us. Unfortunately for Taft the only two errors that they made in the game came in the same inning and we were able to get some runs as a result. To me they were one of the better teams that we played all year. If their record was a mirage, it was a very good one. To go 24-0 is very difficult, even against "inferior" competition. Even the best teams have an off day occasionally and would have difficulty winning 24 in a row.

I stand by my statement. Who did they beat?
Teams in their weak conference TWICE! There wasn't a quality team in those 28 wins and thats a fact. But it is something to build on for next year. Play a tougher schedule it'll only help in the long run.
quote:
Originally posted by cowboy2007:
clemente did not win state but they will win city .they have the best line up in the city 12,15,10,08,17,2,9,21,11 now tell me any other line better than that in the city 7 of the 9 batting over .350 and like 4 batting over .400

You should NEVER look past the team your playing next. They beat a pretty good team.
Cub...With so many talking about attendance instead of "on field performance of the team", I'm surprised that the Tribune doesn't use some of that turnstyle money to finally repair the underside of the upper deck....Wait...wait...It's only been 3-4 years!

Cubs haven't won a World Series in forever, so maybe they won't repair the falling concrete 'til 2086...when the Cubs should finally be in a World Series.

Go White Sox!
Congratulations to Lane and Clemente.

See the Chicago Sun Times, June 8 - page 94 for a complete listing of the CPS All Public Baseball Team. The team was selected by Public Leagues coordinator, Eddie Curry. The Public League All Stars will play the Catholic League stars on June 26 at U.S. Cellular Field.

CPS Baseball........it's getting better all of the time!
quote:
Originally posted by bears2686:
Thanks for the infomation....... If its clementes ace its either estrada or belen......anyone kno who.......Im guessing taft pitched hes there number 1......howd he pitch?

I think it was Belen, not 100% sure but taft didnt pitch there #1...the #1 is sophomore Chris Rivera, Garza pitched a complete game, gave up 5 hits
I'm not sure wether it was their ace that pitched or not. For Taft, it was the #2 pitcher hes a junior. Clemente scored their first run in the first with a leadoff bunt, stoled 2nd, sac groundout to the 1st basemen, runner advanced to 3rd and basehit to left to score the run. great run manufacturing. Taft answered in i think the 3rd with a leadoff single, then a double to the leftfeild wall after scoring the guy from 1st. it stayed that way until the bottom of the 6th.
After the lead off walk got picked off of first, and the 2nd batter k'ed. The 3rd batter walked to 1st. With 2 outs and the middle playing a shade to the left, the hitter got jammed hitting a bloop to right behind first and it dropped in to put runners on 1st and 3rd. 3 pitches into the batter with an 0-2 count a curveball hit off the plate and took a bounce off the catchers mask away from the plate letting the runner from 3rd score making it 2-1.
In the top of the 7th Taft threatned with a leadoff single, then a walk. With runners on 1st and 2nd, 0 outs, Taft failed to bunt the runners over. The first out was a pop-out to the 3rd basemen. While the next batter was up, the runner on first had to get back to first after a snap throw from the catcher, but the first basemen completely blocked the bag while scooping the ball to tag him out. The batter then hit a ball up the middle feilded by the shortstop for the final out of the game.

I believe the final stats were.
Clemente 2 5 0
Taft 1 4 0

Hard fought game. Couldve gone either way.
Clemente's Ace is Belen and Estrada is there numnber two they both share it really like wood and prior did. But Belen pithced against Taft. So why did the MP vs Lane game get stopped? if Lane was up 9-1 why protest its pretty much done with. so what are the times and matchups for UIC this weekend i know clemente, Young, Mather, are in
Lane 23 Morgan Park 5
This was the make-up game (9-1 Bottom 5th) of the protested contest that started on Wed. We replayed the game again from the beginning today.
We will choose to be the bigger person and drop the matter and move on.

Lane vs. Kenwood 10am @ Clemente
Winner vs. Mather 3:30 @ Brooks
Young vs. Clemente 5:30 @ Brooks

Finals Monday @ Wrigley

Keep working hard,
Justin Stringer
Do It Right Baseball
Lane Tech Baseball
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
CPS City Semi-Finals
Lane 5 Mather 4
Lane pulls off a miracle trailing 4-1 in the bottom of the 7th. A GREAT HS Baseball game where both teams played so hard. I am very proud of our boys coming back after going through all of the CPS BS and coming through having to play 3 games in less than 24 hours.

CPS City Championship
Monday May 21,2007 @ 2pm Wrigley Field
Lane vs. Whitney Young

BeenThere- The score (23-5) was indicative of the level of frustration of our players and coaches at the dirty, lowdown, cowardice matter at which this team and others around it (collusion) tried to pull against our kids. PM me and I will go into detail, not pretty! We run a program with the utmost class, we will never run it up on anyone unless they ask for it.

Keep working hard,
Justin Stringer
Do It Right Baseball
Lane Tech Baseball
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
quote:
Originally posted by BeenthereIL:
Easy to be the "bigger person" when you pound someone 23-5.

Hey, first time I ever, in my life, was happy to see that kind of score. Seemed to me to be a just ending to a b-ugly situation. I was proud of Lane, all things considered. No matter what games anyone else was playing this week, our boys only played ONE game - baseball. I think the "bigger person" thing was more about NOT saying that sort of thing than about the score. I'm not quite as big as Stringer. ((shrug)) As a mom, sometimes, I think some things call for a spanking.
Last edited by annalovesbooks
See RECAP posted in Whitney Young at Wrigley Thread, but will post here as well.........

Under the lights at beautiful Brooks Academy Field on Saturday night, May 19 it was the Whitney Young Dolphins getting the Big Time Win over Clemente in the Semifinal Playoffs 10-5. Young now advances to the CPL City Championship Game which will be played on Monday. The prize is getting the privilege to play at Wrigley Field in another Big Time game versus Lane Tech.

On Saturday night, Young scored the first run of the game to take a 1-0 lead, however Marvin Sanchez of Clemente answered the call hitting a 1st pitch home run off of Young's starter Jim Clement in the bottom of the 1st inning which quickly tied the game. At the end of the first inning of play Clemente was leading 4-1. Clemente however, scored their only other run in the 2nd inning when Sanchez crossed the plate one more time again.

However, it was in the 5th inning that Young really came alive and pounded out 7 Hits in a huge 9 Run, 5th inning surge to overtake Clemente who had been leading the game 5-1, and were looking very much to be the team in control. But in the fifth, Clemente struggled mightily to find an answer as a torrent of hits began as a large Young fan turnout cheered the Dolphins on urging them to continue the rally. Clemente made 2 pitching changes in an inning that never seemed to end!

In the bottom of the 6th inning, the winning pitcher James Coleman (D-1 prospect) showed his tenacity getting out of a bases loaded jam and shutting the door on Clemente. A key strike out with the bases loaded got the second out and a 6-4 play stopped Clemente from scoring and ended the inning. Coleman was the Winning Pitcher and Max Freidman made an appearance, coming in to pitch with one out in the 7th inning and recording two K's to get the final two outs. In the final analysis James Coleman was absolutely stellar, pitching 4.1 pressure cooker innings while allowing No Runs and No Hits and recording 9-K's, 5-BB's and 1 HBP.

Congratulations to the entire Whitney Young Coaching staff. The baseball program is on a roll and heading upwards as the Young Sophomores advanced to the CPL City Championship earlier in the day. The Junior Varsity will face Lane Tech, going for a three peat in the Sophomore City Championship series. However, the real Capstone was the varsity team getting their Big Time win to advance to play Lane on Monday at Wrigley Field and will be making their first appearance in the CPL Championship!

This game had many Big Time highlights, but this observer notes that the two big ESPN Replays came during the 5th inning when the Designated Hitter, Elliott Greenhill hit a blast into center field which was shortly followed by Valmer Jordan's Big Time Homerun which was a 375 shot over the center field fence. Clemente struggled to find an answer to Young's onslaught, however by the time they got the first out in the inning, 8 runs had already crossed the plate.

A key defensive highlight came in the bottom of the 5th inning when Pedro Rosa quickly reacted to a deep hit to center field which he snared, recording the second out of the inning. This play was key to stopping a Clemente run from being posted to the scoreboard.

Also in the scorebook with Big Time Hits were Joe Frahm who was 2 for 4 with 2-Singles (2-RBI); Julian Kenner 2 for 4 with 2-Singles (RBI); Troy Wright 2 for 4 with 2-Doubles (RBI); Jim Clement 2 for 4 with Double and a Single; Eric Fone-Single.

Young scored 10 Runs on 11 Hits and 3 E's. Clemente scored 5 Runs on 5 Hits and 4 E's.

Game time is Monday at 2:00 pm. Admission and parking are free!

See you there. If you will be rooting for Young wear your Blue and Orange!
I'm going to guess that all of the Daley boys made it...and of course Todd Stroger.

Probably Manny Flores, Toni Preckwinkle, Eddie Burke, Mike Zalewski, Danny Solis, Ed Smith, Ray Saurez, Dicky Mell, Emma Mitts, Pat O'Connor, Bernie Stone, and bat boy Tom Tunney.

Burt Natarus, unfortunately, did not make the team this year.

And Tony Peraica, although talented and deserving, was not let into the building while the ballots were being counted and as a result there was absolutely no way he was going to make the team...plain and simple! Wink
Last edited by gotwood4sale

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.