Skip to main content

Originally Posted by bballman:
Series sweep to start the year!!  Good way to start. Bballson got the win in the second game, even though he only pitched 2/3 of an inning!!  He came in bottom 7, 1 out, runners on 1st & 2nd, game tied 1-1. Gave up a lead off single to load the bases, then got a K and a ground ball to 2nd to end the threat. We scored 4 in the bottom half and held on to win. Looking forward to a good season with this team!!!

Edit - I know a game can't be tied 2-1. Haha.

Same here.  Son's team swept a doubleheader to start the season.  He started both games.  DH'd in the first and went 1-4 with a single, walk, strikeout and deep flyball to center.  Won 12-3.  Game 2 he started at 1B and went 3-3 with a HBP, single, double and a HR!  The HR came in the bottom of the 7th with the team trailing 5-4.  With a runner on and no outs the coach gave him the hit away sign and boy did he make it count.   Hit the ball to deep LC where it bounced off the top of the wall and out for a 2 run HR.  Ended up being the game winning hit.

It was a sunny but cold day.  48 F at game time, but once the sun went down it got cool - 36 F by the end of game 2. 

Originally Posted by oldmanmoses:

That's a great start to the season Bballman. Son opens up Tuesday night in a brand new facility hosting Lynn. Here's wishing all a great and healthy season!

Thanks oldmanmoses.  Let me know how that Lynn series goes. My son plays them next weekend at their place!!  Be nice to have a little inside scoop.   Good luck to your son in his opener. Nice to have actual baseball finally going on instead of just theorizing about it!!

Heading out this afternoon for my son's teams home opener. Looking forward to his Sr year, he gets one of the starts tomorrow, so it will be fun seeing him in his new PO role, makes the games a little more relaxing (other than the one he starts ). Actually now that he is a Sr I have seen so much baseball I don't get to worked up either way - just enjoying the moment.  

Son's team dropped one today.  Lost 8-3.  Son went 1-4 (groundout, deep fly ball to CF, SO and RBI single).  His single came in the 8th with bases loaded and no outs.  Wife was hoping for a grand slam as he did hit a 2 run HR last weekend that ultimately was the game winner.   We were watching via webcast.  Too many walks and errors early in the game.  Second game of three tomorrow. 

Wife and I traveled 3 1/2 hours today to watch a Friday & Saturday road game.  This is as close as son's team comes to us.  We might get in two or three trips total this year.  Today could not have been a more beautiful baseball day.  Around 75 degrees and sunny.   Son has been really focused on QAB's.  I've never seen him get 2 BB's and 2 HBP's in a game before.  My wife didn't quite appreciate the beauty of it as much as I did

Last three starts were RF, CF and LF.  I asked why the movement.  He said "coach puts me wherever the sun is".  Now there's one I never heard before.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad:
Originally Posted by Swampboy:

Looked in on the stats for BOF's son, who got his first start of the season tonight and cruised through an easy 5 innings before leaving with a 9-1 lead.  6 K's and 0 BB's.  Congrats!

I would like to add my congratulations to this young man. Great to hear.....

Congratulations!

Thanks everyone. Nice start to the season for him. The staff is so deep that it is important for pitchers to come out and establish themselves if they want to lock up a staring spot, which he did. He will get another start next weekend. Early season they like to look at match ups so he will likely start on Sunday vs a more heavy RHH lineup. Even though the team swept 3, the pitching coach was not very happy with the overall performance, so next couple of weekends will lock up the rotations. 

Lost 3rd game of the series today 5-2. Son came in for 1 inning. Gave up 1 hit, no runs. Came in with bases loaded, 2 outs down 2-1. Threw a curve ball that squirted by catcher and they gunned down the runner at home. We tied it in the bottom. Stayed in for 2 outs the next inning and brought another guy in. Thinking maybe coach just wanted to see some other arms in there. At least he did his job. I just hate losing!!  Oh well, it's a long season. Keep the updates coming.  Love hearing what's going on. Congrats to your son BOF!!!

Son starts his sophomore year at his JUCO this Friday.  Pitching staff is loaded with some guys that were drafted, but came there to better their draft position this year.  He will have to earn his innings.

We talked last night and he told me something that I did know but never thought about and it depressed me.  He is the last player from his high school class at his school left playing ball.  There were "only" 5 of them that went off to school to play ball,  but only one left. There were a variety of reasons, some good, some bad.   Enjoyed watching those boys for 4 years.  You never know when it will end.

Originally Posted by Mizzoubaseball:

We talked last night and he told me something that I did know but never thought about and it depressed me.  He is the last player from his high school class at his school left playing ball.  There were "only" 5 of them that went off to school to play ball,  but only one left. There were a variety of reasons, some good, some bad.   Enjoyed watching those boys for 4 years.  You never know when it will end.

Of the 6 seniors that were on my son's HS team, four went on to play at the next level - three college, one pro (drafted in 6th round).  My son went JuCo for two years and is now at a D2 university and is off to a good start.  The other two went to good D3 schools (good as in academic) and both have fairly good baseball teams.  The two that have gone to the D3 schools have both had injuries - both had shoulder issues - one is a catcher (torn labrum - just started throwing this week, won't be in the lineup for at least a month) while the other is a pitcher who hurt his shoulder his freshmen year.

The kid that went pro will starting his 4th year in the minors (upper rookie).  He had arm issues his 2nd year.  Seems to be progressing nicely.  Was throwing 94-95 in HS and velocity is up to 98 and has touched 100 a few times.  Still working on his off speed stuff.

It's fun keeping track of how they are all doing.

Originally Posted by FoxDad:
Originally Posted by Mizzoubaseball:

Of the 6 seniors that were on my son's HS team, four went on to play at the next level - three college, one pro (drafted in 6th round).  My son went JuCo for two years and is now at a D2 university and is off to a good start.  The other two went to good D3 schools (good as in academic) and both have fairly good baseball teams.  The two that have gone to the D3 schools have both had injuries - both had shoulder issues - one is a catcher (torn labrum - just started throwing this week, won't be in the lineup for at least a month) while the other is a pitcher who hurt his shoulder his freshmen year.

The kid that went pro will starting his 4th year in the minors (upper rookie).  He had arm issues his 2nd year.  Seems to be progressing nicely.  Was throwing 94-95 in HS and velocity is up to 98 and has touched 100 a few times.  Still working on his off speed stuff.

It's fun keeping track of how they are all doing.

Was wondering what was going on with Damion, have not seen much in the papers but maybe I need to read the printed press a little more

her is a link to a D-2 blog...." Road to Cary"   Kyle Schwerin writes it, he does a really nice job following D2 teams.

http://www.roadtocary.blogspot.com/

Son's team opens next weekend, when is the warm weather going to get here? Son is healing from an oblique tweak and just resumed throwing last week, so he will be real limited to any action.

I may not travel 8 hours to sit in 30 something degree weather, I will get to do that for all of the conference games..   Plus its the DD 's birthday weekend, I need to show her some lovin before baseball season kicks in. If I am going to be cold it might as well be at the ski slopes and not the ball field.

Originally Posted by mmm1531:

her is a link to a D-2 blog...." Road to Cary"   Kyle Schwerin writes it, he does a really nice job following D2 teams.

Son's team opens next weekend, when is the warm weather going to get here? Son is healing from an oblique tweak and just resumed throwing last week, so he will be real limited to any action.

I may not travel 8 hours to sit in 30 something degree weather, I will get to do that for all of the conference games..   Plus its the DD 's birthday weekend, I need to show her some lovin before baseball season kicks in. If I am going to be cold it might as well be at the ski slopes and not the ball field.

That guy has done a pretty good job so far.  I've been following since the beginning.  Look forward to following it all season.

Although I'm in Georgia and weather isn't too bad, my son travels to NC this weekend to play and it is supposed to be cold there this weekend.  I'm going to stay home and watch the broadcast on the internet hooked up to my big screen.    I will definitely be much more comfortable there!!

So glad you posted this, mmm1531!

I have a good friend whose son just started coaching Division II ball for one of the ranked teams, and I'll bet he hasn't run across it yet...at least, not until he opens his email inbox tomorrow morning. 

Many thanks for sharing it!

Meanwhile, for those of us whose sons are involved in Division I baseball...here we go!!!   Every new season brings excitement!

Last edited by Prepster

Son's team split a double header yesterday.  Lost the the opener 3-1 even though they out hit the other team - couldn't get the timely hit.  Rebounded with a 17-7 win in game 2. 

Son was 1-4 in game one, but had the big hit in game 2 - a Grand Slam in the 5th inning to blow the game open 13-4.  It was his 2nd HR of the season - had a 2 run HR in the 2nd game of the season.

All this in subfreezing temperatures - it barely got to 33 F by the middle of game 2.

Another double header on tap for today.  Weather is warmer - expected high of 51 F before the cold front hits tonight and drives the temperatures into the teens.

Last edited by FoxDad

Fox, that's awesome.  Especially in the weather.  I mentioned we went to a series last weekend and the first afternoon was sunny and in the mid 70's.  Well, the next morning game, there was a storm on it's way and it was damp and in the upper 50's.  Players in both dugouts were bundled like eskimo's.  OK, so was I.  But it was a biting 57

It does make me wonder how so many kids from the west and south are able to acclimate when they head to schools in cold climates.  Hmmmm....  NEW TOPIC!

Last edited by cabbagedad

My son's team doesn't open until next weekend so I'm in lurk mode this weekend (as opposed to active in-person stressing out mode like I'll be next week).

As I follow this weekend's action, it's surprising how many games I have an interest in because they feature players who played with or against my son in travel, college, or college summer ball or players I root for because I know their parents through this site.

I checked the box score of a game several hundred miles away involving two fairly obscure programs and saw I knew the losing pitcher on one team and the closer who earned the save for the other team. 

Baseball is a small world. 

Best wishes to all,

Yeah, it definitely was awesome.  Wish we had been able to see it live and in person.  At least we were able to see it via webcast (ustreamtv).

We were there opening weekend (last weekend) when he hit a 2 run HR that lifted the team to a win in the 2nd game of the season.  It just barely had enough carry to hit the top of the wall and go out.  With yesterday's HR there was no doubt - it easily cleared the wall.

It's suppose to get up to about 50 F for tday's games which unfortunately are not being webcast (they are covering the men and women's basketball games).  They said there would be live updates, but that's not available either - again they are broadcasting the basketball games via live updates.  Oh well.  Guess we'll get an update from our son when the games are completed.

ADDENDUM:

I stand corrected.  Finally found the live stats as they completed game 1 - team won 6-5.   Son was 1-4 for game 1.  Now onto game 2.

Last edited by FoxDad

I can see now that I will not get much if any work done on Friday and Saturday afternoons, I will be either at the ball field or glued to the computer.  

Foxdad I watched some of your sons game, IUP has some of my sons ex summer teammates on. The Uhl kid who homered in the 1st game is a stud, he was impressive in the Prospect league last year. I quit watching the second game before all of the fireworks went off, congrats on another homer.

Swamp I agree with you on it being a small world, it's great to keep an eye on the world of college baseball , following players that you know is great, you wish they could all go 4-4 every game but just seeing their name in the box score puts a smile on my face.

I can see now that I will not get much if any work done on Friday and Saturday afternoons, I will be either at the ball field or glued to the computer.  

Foxdad I watched some of your sons game, IUP has some of my sons ex summer teammates on. The Uhl kid who homered in the 1st game is a stud, he was impressive in the Prospect league last year. I quit watching the second game before all of the fireworks went off, congrats on another homer.

Swamp I agree with you on it being a small world, it's great to keep an eye on the world of college baseball , following players that you know is great, you wish they could all go 4-4 every game but just seeing their name in the box score puts a smile on my face.

Yeah, I know how you feel.  The past two Friday's I've been glued to the computer at work (and not getting much work done.....) while I watched the games. 

They ended up splitting the series, 2-2.  Won the first game 6-5 and lost the 2nd 3-1.

Next series starts Friday.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.