Skip to main content

Son's team, Ohio WWesleyan, beat the the 15'th ranked team in the country, as ranked by D3 Baseball, Baldwin Wallace 8-4. 

http://www.d3baseball.com/top25/2015/2015-week-5

http://www.battlingbishops.com...5.aspx?path=baseball

Son came in for 1 inning, as he is scheduled to start the first game of conference play this weekend. No earned runs, gave up 2 hits and struck out 3. 

Old Taft Tigers son went 1-2 with two RBI's and 3 put outs.

Earlier this month they beat Otterbein who coming into the game were 11-2. 

Team won 14-5.

Son pitched the 9th and gave up no hits and struck out 2. 

Old Taft Tigers son went 2 for 5 and got another 2 Rbi's. His son looks to be real run producer this year.

We are starting to get some power in the line up. We hit 2 HR's against Baldwin Wallace and another against Otterbein. 

I just post on here every now and then, with my son being a PO and all.  D1 JUCO in his sophomore year.  Really struggled last year.  Was horrible to be honest.  Any, he had a good summer and a great fall.

They play 4 conference games a week, so they have 4 main starters.  He seems to be the first out of the bullpen.  So far his stats are:

7 games; 13.7 innings; 9 hits; 4 walks; 8 strikeouts; 2 runs; 1 earned; 0.66 ERA

Done well so far.  Bad news is one of the four starters (D-1 signee) is struggling so he got pulled from the rotation.  Worse news is they gave his start to a kid with an ERA over 8 and has really struggled.  But he was drafted out of high school so he must be the better pitcher.  I told him to keep battling and make it so the coach has to keep throwing you out there.

Found out yesterday that a local D-1 has called and asked about him.  Son and the coach spent yesterday emailing back and forth.  All you can do is hope for the best.

Originally Posted by Mizzoubaseball:

I just post on here every now and then, with my son being a PO and all.  D1 JUCO in his sophomore year.  Really struggled last year.  Was horrible to be honest.  Any, he had a good summer and a great fall.

They play 4 conference games a week, so they have 4 main starters.  He seems to be the first out of the bullpen.  So far his stats are:

7 games; 13.7 innings; 9 hits; 4 walks; 8 strikeouts; 2 runs; 1 earned; 0.66 ERA

Done well so far.  Bad news is one of the four starters (D-1 signee) is struggling so he got pulled from the rotation.  Worse news is they gave his start to a kid with an ERA over 8 and has really struggled.  But he was drafted out of high school so he must be the better pitcher.  I told him to keep battling and make it so the coach has to keep throwing you out there.

Found out yesterday that a local D-1 has called and asked about him.  Son and the coach spent yesterday emailing back and forth.  All you can do is hope for the best.

That's great news!  I hop he keeps pitching awesome...

Not sure if anyone has noticed but the Hokies are showing a much improved season over last.

Their record in a very, very tough ACC is  15-13 overall and 6-5 in conference. Thats better that some of the other teams that are regular regional and super regional contenders!

One of our very own websters who posts regularly here has very strong personal interest to that program!

Way to go!!!!

Remember folks, you never know who is watching, reading or listening!!!!!

Congrats bishopslefties dad,

its always great when when your son gets recognized for doing an outstanding job. Plus he helped get some W's

sons team is off to a pretty fair start.. 19-1 , 1st loss last week by a run. They have been moving up the regional rankings. 

Starting pitching, bullpen, and defense have been lights out. Despite playing in not so perfect baseball weather.

Team era of under 1.9, every pitcher that trots out there has done their job. 

should be a fun stretch of conference games upcoming.theres been enough games played now to identify the strong  teams. Pre season polls  had things about right on.  Best part is I should be able to get to every game left on the schedule. 

Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad:

Son pitched 7 scorless inning today against conference foe Wabash. He gave up 4 hits, 3 walks and 5 strike outs.

we also won the second game of the dh 7-6 in extra innings. 

We have another DH against Wabash tomorrow, then play the 15th ranked team Hiedelberg on 4/1.

We played Heidelberg last night. They are currently ranked number 6 by www.d3baseball.com, We came away with a win. the final score was 22-7. My son did not travel for this one. Coach is starting to watch out for the number of innings on some of the starters arms. He worries about injuries, and he wants to be sure to have them for conference games. 

Son pitched 7 scorless inning today against conference foe Wabash. He gave up 4 hits, 3 walks and 5 strike outs.

We have another DH against Wabash tomorrow, then play the 15th ranked team Hiedelberg on 4/1.

We played Heidelberg last night. They are currently ranked number 6 by www.d3baseball.com, We came away with a win. the final score was 22-7. My son did not travel for this one. Coach is starting to watch out for the number of innings on some of the starters arms. He worries about injuries, and he wants to be sure to have them for conference games. 

I am sure you encourage your son be keep doing what you are doing.  If they are beating ranked teams, then they ought to be a ranked team.  If they are not, encourage them to use it as fuel for the fire.  If they can play as a collective unit, there is no reason they cannot make a trip to Wisconsin later this spring.

Originally Posted by ClevelandDad:

I am sure you encourage your son be keep doing what you are doing.  If they are beating ranked teams, then they ought to be a ranked team.  If they are not, encourage them to use it as fuel for the fire.  If they can play as a collective unit, there is no reason they cannot make a trip to Wisconsin later this spring.

Thanks CD,

They are beating ranked teams, I have told them keep it up and soon they will get their due. It's what the poll says at the end that matters. 

You are right, about playing as a collective unit. They are doing that this year, unlike they have ever been before. Son said it was pretty clear the team was more dedicated in the off season. More kids in the weight room and getting in their workouts. 

Baseball is a funny game.

Son has been scuffling a bit this year. Early in the year he took losses in a couple games where he threw well but ended up with pretty poor stat lines.  Tonight, I didn't think he pitched very well at all.  He staggered through 7 innings, but even though he was in trouble in nearly every one of them, he avoided giving up any runs (thanks to the best defensive support he's had in the past couple years--two runners thrown out at the plate and several DP's) and got the win (thanks to the best run support he's had in the past couple years).  

It's a funny game.

Swampboy, you are right about baseball being a funny game.

I still closely follow my son's former DII team and it has been a strange season indeed! The team started off with the worst record after ten games in over forty years due to many new players--only two position player starters and two starting pitchers returning and the worst weather I have ever seen. Some 20 games were either postponed, moved or eliminated and then a team just cancelled two more for financial reasons.

The guys were not playing together, making a lot of baserunning mistakes, etc. and the offense seemed to be the only one in the nation who didn't get the message that HRs and hitting were supposed to be up with the new baseballs.

Then bingo, it all came together! They beat a team two of three that was ranked in the top ten and then beat the #1 team in the conference two of three the next weekend. They beat the only DI on their schedule 31-7 !!! Now all of a sudden the team batting average is over .320 and the Hrs are flying out of the park. The pitching is still a work in progress but getting better.

Sometimes it takes a while for guys to assimilate when they are all new to playing together as a team and not playing for two weeks at a time and constantly moving games was a big factor in the slow start. Even now instead of 50 regular season games, the team is only going to get to play 40 games.  Unfortunately this will probably be the first time Delta State has not won over 30 games in about thirty years. But at 15-12, I am glad to say that they are finally moving in the right direction!

Last edited by Three Bagger

Freshman son at mid major D1 took the mound last Wednesday for the first time since last April's TJ surgery.  Faired pretty well - 2 innings, one hit, one strike out, 26 total pitches.  Sat 89-90 hit 93.  Coaches were happy with no walks or runs.  Should get another couple innings this week.  Still climbing the hill to get all the way back but at least now he can see the summit.

Son's D3 team completed season this last weekend, and since they did not qualify for their conference tournament, that was it.  He's a Senior, and Senior Day was simply a beautiful day. My wife and I are so proud of how hard he competed during his college career, and how he conducted himself on the field as a teammate and a leader – regardless of whether he was tossing a gem, or getting shelled. 

Our son seems really touched that a number of head coaches from his conference sought him out this season as the team made the rounds in conference play to personally congratulate him, and comment on his toughness, “you play the game the right way”, etc.  He doesn’t have “loud stuff” by any means, but grinds and competes.

His last start Sunday was a classic, 8IP, 2 runs, 1 earned - 135 pitches for the loss, left it all on the field.

While he did not play for a baseball powerhouse by any means (although they have competed in baseball since the early 1930’s, I believe, at least), he did have the honor to play against great competition, and great players all four years.  They introduced each Senior, and included a list of their career accomplishments, and we really had no idea – our son ended up 6th all time in career ERA, 5th all time in innings pitched, 2nd all time in strikeouts and 1st all time in appearances for his college.

Forever a ballplayer, and we’ll forever be baseball parents.

Last edited by like2rake
Originally Posted by like2rake:

Son's D3 team completed season this last weekend, and since they did not qualify for their conference tournament, that was it.  He's a Senior, and Senior Day was simply a beautiful day. My wife and I are so proud of how hard he competed during his college career, and how he conducted himself on the field as a teammate and a leader – regardless of whether he was tossing a gem, or getting shelled. 

Our son seems really touched that a number of head coaches from his conference sought him out this season as the team made the rounds in conference play to personally congratulate him, and comment on his toughness, “you play the game the right way”, etc.  He doesn’t have “loud stuff” by any means, but grinds and competes.

His last start Sunday was a classic, 8IP, 2 runs, 1 earned - 135 pitches for the loss, left it all on the field.

While he did not play for a baseball powerhouse by any means (although they have competed in baseball since the early 1930’s, I believe, at least), he did have the honor to play against great competition, and great players all four years.  They introduced each Senior, and included a list of their career accomplishments, and we really had no idea – our son ended up 6th all time in career ERA, 5th all time in innings pitched, 2nd all time in strikeouts and 1st all time in appearances for his college.

Sons D2 team has had a fantastic season so far. Only two conference games remaining, they clinched a spot in the conference playoffs next week and have the top ranking in the region.

they pulled  out two come from behind wins today against another top ten team. The game was previewed by Kyle Schwerin in his road to Cary blog ( thanks to Kyle for a great job this year on his dedication to D2 baseball) 

below is the link 

http://roadtocary.blogspot.com...k-mercyhurst-vs.html

Okay, so we travel to NC to see son's final conference series before the conference tournament next week.

Game 1 is underway and about the 3rd inning I decide to get some concessions.   It's near the top of the lineup (he's batting 5th playing RF).  I figure I should be back before he makes his plate appearance if they make it that far.   As I get back I see his teammate who bats after him hit the scoreboard for a HR.  A mom from the other team says my son just hit a HR.  I said that wasn't my son.  She says there was another HR (a 2 run shot) prior to that HR.  Wife then tells me our son did indeed hit a HR (his 5th of the season).  From then on everyone suggested I go get concessions just before our son batted.   LOL!

Anyway, the Rams defeated VSU 13-0 in game 1.  With the intermittent rain getting worse, game 2 was postponed and there will now by a triple header tomorrow.

Rain or shine it was good to "see" our son hit his 5th HR - at least wife caught it on video.

Regular season now concluded.  The WSSU Rams finished with a 36-13 record (15-1 conference) with a 4 game sweep of VSU (13-0, 6-1, 5-4 and 11-2).  Son was 5-12 for the weekend with a 2 run HR in game 1.  The Rams took the CIAA crown for the regular season and face St Augustine's on Thursday in the CIAA tournament at the USA Baseball Complex in Cary, NC.   The latest forecast is not promising though (rain).

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:
Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

That's awesome, PO!

Cabbage's team picked up a few strong transfer OF's this fall including a good D1 drop down (also drafted out of HS) which puts cabbage currently back to a spot starter and late defense/situational replacement.

I got a funny text from him this morning while the team is driving to their road game today...

"one of the OF's forgot  their jersey so I'm guessing I might get the start"

Really?  In college?  First, how does a starting college player forget his game jersey on a road trip?  And would a coach really sit that guy? I guess I'll just go with loving son's optimism  

I'll be darned, he was right

Looking back, son got this unusual "opportunity" for a start in the second game of the season.  He held up his end of the deal and never let go, starting every game the rest of the way.  He turned it into a great year... finished top 15 in the conference in several offensive categories - OBP, runs, triples, walks, HBP, Sac hits, games and low K/AB.  Defensively, he was even better, finishing as the only full time OF in the conference with perfect 1.000 fielding %.  Even though the team lost their #2 and #3 pitchers early on, they stayed in the playoff hunt until the second-to-last game of the year.  Couldn't have hoped for more.

Sometimes you never know how or when your chance might come.  All you can do is make sure you're prepared when it does.

Best of luck to those moving on to playoffs... will be following and pulling for several of your boys and their teams!

Last edited by cabbagedad
Originally Posted by like2rake:

I wanted to circle back on the season update I posted to thank all you folks who "liked" and offered such nice replies.  I joined this forum when our boy was 11 years-old, just as he joined his first "club" baseball team.  The knowledge we gained from the members regarding the recruiting process, and in particular, D3 baseball, was outstanding. So many knowledgeable people, who were/are so generous with their time.  Everything just worked out wonderfully for our son, he has a great job waiting for him to start in late July, albeit being 6,000 miles away ha ha ha!  We told him to consider the "World" as he pondered his future, I guess he took us literally.  Funny thing, his season/career just ended, but since he'd already finished his Senior thesis/orals, he has some time on his hands until graduation a month from now.  So, he's already hooked-up as an assistant coach for an 8-10 year-old little league team in the rural town he attends college.  I haven't asked him yet, but I'm sure he's wearing his cleats to practice and games!

Last edited by like2rake

Congrats Like to rake I enjoyed reading your posts.

Mine also had his Sr weekend last week, he got to pitch 3 innings, which is a stretch given his role, but they are off to their conference tournament today so the ride still continues. This is the first year in three that the team more or less have to win their conference to move on the Regionals. He is set as the closer and "go to guy" when a pitcher gets in trouble which is nice but we never know when he is going to pitch. Frankly it is better if he doesn't which means we are up and he is not needed, but that is a little anti climatic for a dad.

So the fun continues......

CIAA update:

WSSU defeated St Augustine's 5-4 in a come from behind win.  VSU defeated Chowan 8-7.  In the consolation bracket, Chowan edged out St Augustine's 8-7 in a back and forth game.  St Augustine's is now out of the tournament.  WSSU will face VSU in round 2.  Game originally scheduled for 1 pm today, but has been pushed back to 4 pm due to weather (rain).  I'll be surprised if they do get it in - radar shows green over most of northeast North Carolina. The loser of today's game will play Chowan.  The winner plays the winner of that game for the CIAA Championship.

Son did not do well going 0-4 with 2 deep flyballs, a popup and a foul out.  He was, however, named to the CIAA 1st team as Designated Hitter and Utility Player earlier this week.

The WSSU Rams claimed their 5th consecutive CIAA tittle with an 8-3 victory over the VSU Trojans.  The Rams advance to the Atlantic Regional - site to be determined.  Son was 1-4 with RBI single and a run scored.  Several Rams (my son included) earned Tournament Player Awards with MVP going to Conner Andrus (CIAA Player of the Year).

Onward and Upward!  Go Rams!

Congrats to foxdad, hope to meet you at the Atlantic regional.BLD good luck in the conf. Tourney

Sons team had their conference playoffs this past week. The PSAC brings together top four teams from east and west for a double elimination tournament, winner gets automatic berth in Atlantic regional.

4 of the top teams in the region were involved, sons team is currently ranked first in the region, after going 2-2 in the tourney it will be interesting to see how they end up. They lost their first game 18-11. Won the next two and lost to the eventual winner in extra innings. It was a tough loss, they had a 3 run lead going into the ninth. A 2 run homer and the next batter going deep,tied it up.

40 plus homeruns in 14 games had the crowds buzzing, the new ball was flying out of the park all over the place. Not only did some really squared up shots clear the 420 cf fence but the check swing fly balls that cleared the 325 rf fence were proof to me that the new ball has changed the game. There wasn't enough wind blowing any day to have any affect.

The good pitchers were still effective, there were 3-4 really well pitched games.

The best part of the tournament was it was only 15 minutes from my house, I watched a dozen games, I didn't go down for the last day after my sons team was eliminated.

My son had a great season he was named first team all conference as a starting pitcher, his last couple weeks were rough as he fought off a flu or virus that kicked his butt. He got the ball in the 3rd game , threw a complete game 6 hitter, 12 k and no walks. His team won 11-2, one of the hits was a solo HR. He got to do this in front of a lot of family members, old HS teammates, coaches,etc. best of all we were able to get his 90 year old grandmother to the game. 

Now his team waits to hear about the regionals, that will be another great week of baseball.  

My son got on the mound for the first time in three weeks after missing time with a sore shoulder. He was working with a pitch count limit, and and he reached it with two outs in the fourth inning after living dangerously but not giving up any runs. I was happier that he was pain free than that he didn't give up any runs.

But the real story is the team. There's not a pro prospect on the team.  If a scout is at one of our games, it means we're playing someone a lot better than us. Sizeable portions of the roster had no other D1 options or transferred in after being cut, hurt, or benched somewhere else. They were picked to finish last in their conference, which has been a fairly safe bet over the years. They are usually in the bottom 15% of D1 schools in terms of RPI. Since joining their current conference a decade or so ago, they have qualified for their own conference's tournament only once--and they went two and out that year. They have been to one NCAA regional--ever, and that was before any of these players were born.

One of the reasons my son picked this school was that he wanted to be part of building something and he believed the coach who said he was a big part of their turnaround plans. 

It has been inspirational to watch this team transform over the past three years from a team that conditioned, practiced and played with the expectation that they would not be competitive . . . to a team that was semi-competitive on some weekends but still failed to execute in the crunch and still lost most of its games and all the ones that mattered . . . to a team whose players are now showing fight and having fun and finally seeing some payoff in their won-lost record.

After my son left today's game, his team scored a bunch of runs, then gave up a bunch of runs, but then scored some more and hung on to win the game, completing a sweep of a team that has historically owned them.  This is a game they would have figured out how to lose not very long ago. In fact, they still do lose some games like this, but now we parents don't get that sinking feeling in the middle innings and know that disaster is about to strike. Now, sometimes our boys are the team that turns the double play with the bases loaded in the 8th inning of a one-run game instead of the team that can't get the tying run across. Now sometimes, it's our nine-hole hitter gets two-out RBI's in four straight close conference games and makes a difference in all of them. We are now the team that, when it gives up a lead, claws back to establish another one--or at least keeps fighting down to the last out.

If the season ended today, this group of rejects, cast-offs, rehab projects and strays would not only qualify for their conference tourney, but they would claim the second seed. They had never been above .500 at any point in any of the last five seasons (maybe longer--that's as far back as I checked), but they are now above .500 both in conference and overall. They were projected at one point this year to have a bottom 5% RPI, but today their RPI is in the top 50% of all D1 schools. 

They haven't clinched anything yet. They're in a knot of teams bunched together well behind the first place team (which is the class of the conference and likely to be the conference's  rep in the NCAA tourney), and they have two tough weekend series to go against teams vying for the same conference tourney slots. But even if they fall short of qualifying for the conference tournament, they have taken a big step forward and I've enjoyed watching them do it.  

I feel great for the seniors who made the journey from awful to respectable and found a way to turn a miserable baseball situation into something they will be proud of the rest of their lives. And I'm also proud of my son, who believes his conditioning work ethic and on-field performance have contributed significantly to the cause.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.