Skip to main content

Spring season 2015....right around the corner....I will kick off the thread

We got a text this evening from another pitchers parents wanting to make plans for the 1st couple of trips south... could be the best part of the road trips renewing friendships, and meeting the new parents.... Those after game cocktails and recaps are always enjoyable. After the text my wife started setting times and dates to leave.  First game Feb. 20th, can't wait for that 1st "play ball"

Son's team a D-2, made it to a regional last year and should have a strong team again this year. 

Best of luck to everyone, may all of your sons have a healthy and successful 2015..( Unless your playing my son's team, then just stay healthy!!!)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Son's former team's schedule just came out.  Their academic calendar was revised and this year they are going to Florida.  Son never got a chance to go to Florida in 4 years, and I'm not so sure he cared, but his parents would have like to.  We'll make some of the non-conference games in VA and possibly NC, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the team looks.  Hope spring eternal in January.  Go Big Red!

Son's first games (doubleheader) is February 1 (SuperBowl Sunday - can you believe that?).  He's at a DII University.   Only about two weeks away.  Date subject to change - coach is waiting approval from the NCAA to move the game up by 1 day.

Wife has already made reservations (she works for a hotel chain so we only have to pay employee rate).  I can hardly wait.  I know she's chomping at the bit.

Son is a transfer from a JuCo - 1st year with the team.  They won their conference for the third time in a row last year, but failed to make regionals.

Best of luck to everyone!

Time has really flown by, and bobbyaguho has reminded me that I need to update my watch list for all the HSBBWeb posters that I've been following and new freshmen that I will be following.  For those just starting out, please sit back and enjoy.   It will be a time & feeling you will never forget.  Good luck to everyone.  

I've got one finishing up and one starting out - neither that close to home :-(...  We'll be mostly following the one finishing up... His team goes to Myrtle again (yuck) instead of FL, but that does give us a chance to see 2 games for the younger brother, so there is some upside.  It'll be interesting to see how the older son's senior laden team performs. I think it's somewhat unusual to have 20 seniors on a D3 team - most have quite a few innings of play time... Hopefully they can have a postseason run, but it's baseball where anything can happen and one dominant pitcher can ruin your dreams...

Originally Posted by FoxDad:

Son's first games (doubleheader) is February 1 (SuperBowl Sunday - can you believe that?).  

Dang, didn't even think about that!!  My son has a DH on Opening Day starting at 1.  Someone should have thought ahead.  Oh well.  I'll be watching baseball instead of football I guess.

I'm excited about this season.  Son's team came within one out of going to the D2 World Series last year.  We only lost 2 guys - our 2nd baseman and a relief pitcher.  Everyone else is back and looking pretty darned good judging from the fall.  I'm hoping for a long run this year.  But, it is baseball and as others have said, you never know what might happen.  Here's hoping for  a good season!!  

Good luck to everyone out there!!

Son, is a senior, and does not start until early March. We cannot go to Florida this year because of a conflict. I did go the last two years and now am happy I did. We skipped his freshman year because we did not think he would play more than a couple of JV games. Boy were we wrong. 

Go to as many games as possible, it can and does end way too soon. Do not miss any opportunity to see your son play.

Originally Posted by bballman:
Originally Posted by FoxDad:

Son's first games (doubleheader) is February 1 (SuperBowl Sunday - can you believe that?).  

Dang, didn't even think about that!!

Even if they don't reschedule the game, I won't mind missing the beginning of the Super Bowl.  My team (Bronco's) are out.  First game is scheduled for 1 pm.  Guess we'll get back to the hotel by the 2nd quarter or so.  I haven't missed the beginning of a SB in a long, long time.

This evening, the university has a "Meet the Rams" event for students, parents and faculty to mingle with the athletes participating in the spring sports.  Would love to be there, but its a 5 hour drive.

Last edited by FoxDad

Yeah, I don't think I'll mind at all.  I texted my son yesterday after I read your post, and told him I didn't think I was coming to his games because of the Super Bowl.    Let him read it, he said "Wow, that's terrible",  then told him I was just kidding.  I wouldn't miss opening day for anything.  He said he knew I wouldn't.  Suggested we go out somewhere, maybe with some other families after his games to watch the end of the SB and he wants to do that.

Not exactly sure what we'll do.  Probably just go back to the hotel, get some pizza and beer and watch the game in the lobby (big screen).  Unless we can find a local sports bar. I'll have to check around. 

We've already told our son we're coming and he knows we'll be there when we say that.  I'll have to see what he wants to do.  Maybe we can pair up with some other parents/players for the SB.

Son is a sophomore this year and is looking forward to the season, so am I.  83IP from last year should give him a little confidence.  The Conference website posted some players that were drafted (MLB first year player) so I couldn't help but to go back and see how he battled with some of those kids.  Not bad....

Good luck to your boys and their teams!!

Originally Posted by JMoff:
Maybe the next day is important for some reason?

JMoff,

There's nothing more romantic than taking your wife to the ballpark on Valentines Day!

We open the weekend 2/13/15 in Fresno, CA.  As of now, we're driving up in my RV, so we're likely to have a romantic meal of Hot Dogs & Pork-n-Beans....I'm still not sure if I'll microwave them or toss em on the Q?

Looking forward to meeting up with Picked Off while we're there!

Originally Posted by bsbl247:

JMoff,

There's nothing more romantic than taking your wife to the ballpark on Valentines Day!

We open the weekend 2/13/15 in Fresno, CA.  As of now, we're driving up in my RV, so we're likely to have a romantic meal of Hot Dogs & Pork-n-Beans....I'm still not sure if I'll microwave them or toss em on the Q?

Looking forward to meeting up with Picked Off while we're there!

bsbl247,

Last year we celebrated VDay at anteater park and watched a great game with 2nd & 11th rounders on the hill. Extra innings on a beautiful night at one of the nicest college fields! I can't think of a better way to spend valentines day! See you in a couple of weeks!

Our season kicks off with a golf & dinner fundriser on 2.6.15 followed by the alumni game the next day. First game is 2.14.15 against bsbl247's son team for a three game series.

Like last year, I will drive our RV to a local campground(5 minutes to the field) and park it for the season. It turns out to be way cheaper then hotels and restaurants. Last year I was lucky enough to get to 43 games. PO jr pitched in 14 games and I was able to see him in 13 of those games. One of the benefits of him playing just a 3 hour drive away.

Good luck to all this spring, good health to your sons, and enjoy the season! We are truly BLESSED!

My wife played a bit of fast-pitch softball.  On one of our first Valentine's Days together, my gift to her was a new bat.  Friends and co-workers thought I probably just ended our relationship.  She liked it.

Originally Posted by Picked Off:

Our season kicks off with a golf & dinner fundriser on 2.6.15 followed by the alumni game the next day. First game is 2.14.15 against bsbl247's son team for a three game series.

Like last year, I will drive our RV to a local campground(5 minutes to the field) and park it for the season. It turns out to be way cheaper then hotels and restaurants. Last year I was lucky enough to get to 43 games. PO jr pitched in 14 games and I was able to see him in 13 of those games. One of the benefits of him playing just a 3 hour drive away.

Good luck to all this spring, good health to your sons, and enjoy the season! We are truly BLESSED!

Picked Off,
I was contemplating finding a campground near the stadium & towing my car up that weekend...but I figured we'd find a Super Walmart to park at Friday & Saturday night.  Hopefully they're RV friendly in Fresno!? 

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

My wife played a bit of fast-pitch softball.  On one of our first Valentine's Days together, my gift to her was a new bat.  Friends and co-workers thought I probably just ended our relationship.  She liked it.

And you're still married today, cabbagedad...you scored!

That is awesome!

Originally Posted by BBALLFAN2012:

My son doesn't believe me when I told him I'm going to make all 55 games on his schedule.  He will be a starting as a freshman....so now it'll be whether or not he can earn/keep his starting spot.  He has been working hard....Friday the 13th can't come soon enough!  Ready to see all of his hard work pay off. 

My 2015 leaves this summer for college and i can only hope he gets some innings on the bump next year but i have already started prepping the wife about season tix for the 2016 season. Although i envy you guys, i'm trying to stay in the moment as my RHP is a Sr. and hopes to make a run this year for a 6A H.S. championship.

Originally Posted by Shoveit4Ks:
That is awesome!

Originally Posted by BBALLFAN2012:

My son doesn't believe me when I told him I'm going to make all 55 games on his schedule.  He will be a starting as a freshman....so now it'll be whether or not he can earn/keep his starting spot.  He has been working hard....Friday the 13th can't come soon enough!  Ready to see all of his hard work pay off. 

My 2015 leaves this summer for college and i can only hope he gets some innings on the bump next year but i have already started prepping the wife about season tix for the 2016 season. Although i envy you guys, i'm trying to stay in the moment as my RHP is a Sr. and hopes to make a run this year for a 6A H.S. championship.

It's very exciting and an adventure.  Don't get in a hurry.  Enjoy your son's last HS season.  However, nothing wrong with looking at what's next!

It's a journey...

Man, here's a thread that has sent me deeply into "Reminiscent Mode!"

Frankly, it's hard to believe that my son is on the threshold of his 9th college season; 4 as a player and 5 as a coach, with 3 seasons of minor league ball sandwiched in between.

Take it from me, the feelings of excitement and enthusiasm for the upcoming season don't subside one bit with the transition into coaching.

It's wonderful to hear from all of you; regardless of where you might stand along the timeline! Best wishes to your sons and their teams for a healthy and successful season!!!

Season opens tomorrow!!  Can't wait to watch some baseball again.  Son's D2 team is ranked #12 by Collegiate Baseball and #3 by Perfect Game, so hoping for some exciting stuff.  Hopefully, they'll live up to the high expectations.  

I know their hitters have been pounding the ball in the fall and spring.  Hopefully that's a sign our hitters are that good, not that the pitchers are that bad.  Although when we played games in the fall against some JCs we allowed like 5 runs in 6 games.  And we scored A TON.  So, hopefully it will be an exciting year.

That's awesome, PO!

Cabbage's team picked up a few strong transfer OF's this fall including a good D1 drop down (also drafted out of HS) which puts cabbage currently back to a spot starter and late defense/situational replacement.

I got a funny text from him this morning while the team is driving to their road game today...

"one of the OF's forgot  their jersey so I'm guessing I might get the start"

Really?  In college?  First, how does a starting college player forget his game jersey on a road trip?  And would a coach really sit that guy? I guess I'll just go with loving son's optimism  

That's awesome, PO!

Cabbage's team picked up a few strong transfer OF's this fall including a good D1 drop down (also drafted out of HS) which puts cabbage currently back to a spot starter and late defense/situational replacement.

I got a funny text from him this morning while the team is driving to their road game today...

Really?  In college?  First, how does a starting college player forget his game jersey on a road trip?  And would a coach really sit that guy? I guess I'll just go with loving son's optimism  

Same thing happened last year on Jr's team. Coach had a bench player lend him a jersey. 

Tell young cabbage to keep working hard. He certainly has the right attitude. 

Series sweep to start the year!!  Good way to start. Bballson got the win in the second game, even though he only pitched 2/3 of an inning!!  He came in bottom 7, 1 out, runners on 1st & 2nd, game tied 1-1. Gave up a lead off single to load the bases, then got a K and a ground ball to 2nd to end the threat. We scored 4 in the bottom half and held on to win. Looking forward to a good season with this team!!!

Edit - I know a game can't be tied 2-1. Haha.
Last edited by bballman

That's awesome, PO!

I'll be darned, he was right

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.