Skip to main content

I see that there is about 195 days before the collegiate summer season begins; I guess that means that the Spring Season is just around the corner!

Enough of this Fall Season stuff! What’s past is past!

What kind of training or programs will your guys be doing through the Winter in preparation of the coming season?

Mine will be working with his hitting instructor. This may be the last season that they really work together, after 6 years we feel like one of the family.

Weight Lifting is all on his own, it will be up to him to stay in shape. Since he doubles as a pitcher, he is required to run 3 or 4x a week though.

This is the first Winter that I have not had a son to follow around to a showcase or practice someplace…I don’t like it very much…Everyone who is not there yet, “Enjoy the Ride”!

The Journey Continues!

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jan 30th is Game 1 for son's school. With the holiday frenzy (including him coming home in about three weeks!), it's going to be here before we know it.

He's got three more days of early morning lifts, and then I'm not sure, groupwise, what they'll be doing. His roommate is a catcher, so they'll continue to head out to work a few times each week.
When he's back here, he'll work with me and a Korean pitching coach, and also stay sharp in the base gym.

Above all, we will enjoy every minute of his company for about a month, because when he goes back Jan 9th, won't see him again until late June!
My son has early morning lifting Monday and Tuesday with some hitting on his own and then he is driving home on Tuesday. We got the deer stands ready and some big bucks in our sights.

I am looking forward to having him home for Thanksgiving and just spending some time hunting , hitting and hanging out with former players and family. Its been a great fall and I will say a prayer for all your boys who will be traveling home. Do the same for mine.
Prayers will be with all the Boys traveling home. Son coming Tuesday night. Grandparents coming from South Florida and plan to spend Tuesday afternoon with PrimeJr. to see his Campus, dorm room (oh no) and the Stadium.

They finished "Olympic Week" competitions last week. PrimeJr. said that was a blast but now back into "heavy lifting" sessions and he is very sore again. They had a local JUCO in for a hitting session as they brought one each of the new BBCOR brands for trial. Per PrimeJr; "Omaha (TPX Louisville) and Surge (Easton) the best." Wants a new "Wood" weapon for cage use over the Winter. We will pick that out while he's here as he's moved from his previous 33" to 34" now.

Looking forward to hearing those four words I have really missed, "Dad, let's go hit!"
Last edited by Prime9
Safe trip home for all the players.

Mine will be home tomorrow after a weekend detour to the U to visit his girlfriend. My guess is he'll notice a bit of difference between his sleepy NC campus and south beach. Has a hitting lesson scheduled when he arrives.

We have a close and rather large extended family in the area with a number of cousins coming home from various colleges across the country. Looking forward to seeing everyone and the interaction among the cousins. If my gout allows I may even play offensive tackle on Thursday (boy does that statement make me feel old).

There's a lot to be thankful for. Best wishes for a happy and safe holiday to everyone.
This has been a great thread as well as the Fall Season thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the posts.

Most of you will get a kick out of this. Two days before my son left for college in mid-August, we had an arguement. I don't even remember what it was about. He told my wife and I, that he couldn't wait to leave home and get to college.

Fast forward three months, he is telling us (and posting on Facebook) that he can't wait to come home for Thanksgiving to see his family. Apparently, home isn't such a bad place as orginally thought. Wink

Everyone enjoy your Thanksgiving with loved ones!
Last edited by fenwaysouth
I am praying for all the players on the road this week. Stay safe.

Fortunately, mine lives at home while playing here in Tampa. Actually, he is probably at more risk driving everyday in our traffic back and forth to school and workouts than if he was driving once in a while back from school. He had Tuesday/Thursday classes only this fall, but he was at school everyday for baseball.

This week his girlfriend returns from FSU so I predict there will be limited baseball activity. He’ll enjoy a small break from the bullpens, catching live BP and the extended inning scrimmages behind the dish.

He will continue putting in significant miles on his road bicycle over this break and winter break. He rode at least 45 miles per week all fall and he can’t believe the difference it has made in his leg and core condition this year. As we all know catchers are not known for their running, but he sure can pedal with the best of them. He has learned to no longer let his body regress during non-baseball periods. There is too much competition in the game to spend valuable time reconditioning.

He plans on picking up the bat again in earnest during the 3 week winter break to get ready for practice/workouts that start right after January 1. DII still starts their season February 1.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving with your boys.

Floridafan, see you at the field in January.
Here at Rhodes (DIII) we had quite a bit of training to do but, officially, everything is non-mandatory. We usually get about 90-95% turnout at everything though. With tests, trips home, and things like that, guys miss now and then. We lift three days a week (time is optional on specific days, we just work it out with our partner) and condition in between lifting days at 4:15 once most classes are finished for the day. As long as turn out and effort is high, we play touch football until sunset on Fridays. Our off day is Saturday. Until break, we were on our own with long tossing and bullpens. For the winter break, we were given a more cut and dry throwing schedule to work with. I'm expected to comfortably throw an 80 pitch bullpen when I get back to campus for our first practice, so I have a pretty clear goal in mind. Lifting continues as it was while I have to modify the conditioning a bit since I can't train outside (some of us have to go home to a bunch of snow!). I believe our first game is February 4th, really looking forward to it.
Last edited by JPontiac
Ditto! Love hearing from players about life from their perspective. Wish more kids would post here- most of our info as parents is kind of second hand when it concerns the day to day college stuff.

Good luck JPontiac-hope all goes well for you in the off season and you're in great baseball shape when spring rolls around.
quote:
Originally posted by Bum:
Right. It's now just about patience. Hey, how's this for a pic.

Bum, Jr.
BUM - I had no idea he was in Lubbock. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call. I sent all my contact information in a PM. I know he's used to being away from home, but you never know.

Looking forward to watching him next season!!

GED10DaD
Last edited by GunEmDown10
Hi Everyone!

I'm at a DII School in MO. We lift 4 days a week, yoga on Wednesday, swimming (or as coach puts it, "aqua therapy") Tuesdays and Thursdays. Saturday and Sunday are off days. Conditioning is about 2 to 3 days a week for position guys. Pitchers have their own conditioning routines. Hitting is pretty relaxed, but we are expected to hit 3x per week. Get back to school Jan. 17, practice starts Jan. 18, season begins Feb. 19!
quote:
Originally posted by Backstop-17:
JPontiac,

When do you start spring practice and is it before your classes start?

Where will you stay and eat if it is before the rest of the student body returns?

I like hearing from players on here, so keep it coming!

We start captains' practices the day our dorms open, two days before classes start. I think we have a week of these captains' practices before we get it going with coaches. Other students will be trickling in those same days to get their books, finalize their classes, etc.
That sounds great JPontiac, thank you for replying. My son's DII team starts January 10, which is a week before school starts. I think all DII's first coach practice date is January 10.

Coach May and Florida Fan,

I just put two and two together and realized that with Jeff May now being a Bearcat at Lander University, the Spartans of University of Tampa will be visiting to play Lander February 11, followed by games against other schools that Lander is hosting that weekend.

I certainly hope to be able to finally meet and talk with Coach May if his busy schedule will allow him to attend that series...Floridafan, can we shame Coach May into it?
Here in the snow bound Northeast one of the local indoor places has open mornings from 9-12 for college players home on break ($10 no matter how long you stay). My son has been going with some of his old HS teammates, and the place has been fairly empty. It had a field turf full sized infield, and several bullpen tunnels. He has definitely been able to get his work in. He lifts in the afternoon. They go back to campus in 10 days.
My son has been working out every day with his best friend who plays at NC State. They are both catchers and its been great because they can do defensive drills together and throw each other bp. They have been lifting every morning then going to get in their work. Today another former player of mine Matt Harrison who pitches for the Texas Rangers showed up at the field and threw them bp and then long tossed with them. Its pretty neat stuff over the break to see your former players who haved moved on in the game work together and enjoy each others company. I am excited in one way for him to get back and get on with the season. And at the same time I will be sad to not have him around in just a short week from now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.