Skip to main content

August 2008 marks the beginning of a new era in select baseball in the D/FW Metroplex as well as the entire North Texas region. The Dallas Mustangs and D-BAT of Dallas are merging their select baseball team operations to form the D-BAT Mustangs Baseball Club. This new organization will be led by Sam Carpenter of the Dallas Mustangs, Cade Griffis of D-BAT, and Shayne Currin, formerly of the McKinney Marshals. The purpose of the merger is to create a platform for high school and youth aged baseball players to develop their natural talents within a team concept while exhibiting their skills to college coaches and professional scouts in an effort to continue playing baseball beyond high school. The concept is loosely based on the highly regarded East Cobb Baseball Club based in the Atlanta, GA area.

“I believe that the true baseball people in DFW have wanted something like this to happen for a long time, but I don't think anyone ever thought that it could be pulled off. In 5 years, I believe people will look back and realize what a HUGE deal this is,” said the owner and president of D-BAT, Cade Griffis.

“Dallas is not the baseball power it once was. We have too many teams with too many good players spread out around the D/FW Metroplex. This effort of combining the Mustangs and D-BAT will only strengthen amateur baseball in this region, with the result being more national championships for Metroplex kids”, said Shayne Currin, the Director of Operations for the D-BAT Mustangs Baseball Club.

Sam Carpenter, the founder of the Dallas Mustangs, said, “This merger makes too much sense to ignore the possibilities. The hard part was getting three very competitive guys to look past what each had accomplished to what could be accomplished together. After last fall's experience working together on the Metro Scout League, each of us had a sense of what the next step could be for youth baseball in the Metroplex if we worked together. We are committed to doing that so that the kids have the benefit of our teamwork.”

The D-BAT Mustangs Baseball Club will begin operations on September 1, 2008. Tryouts for 2009 teams will begin in November 2008. Any questions should be directed to Shayne Currin at (214) 551-1979 or email him at marshalsbaseball@hotmail.com. Look for tryout information on the clubs website in OCTOBER at www.dbatmustangs.com
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

These three guys sound fairly articulate when they are quoted by the adoring press. Big Grin

Congratulations friends (on one of the worst kept secrets in Dallas baseball history).

I, for one, look forward to watching things fall into place. When is the press conference? I want to ask about the hats. And I think catcher needs a new email address. Cool

-MD
Last edited by Panther Dad
Hmmm... DBAT consumed the Knights - They dropped the DBAT Knights moniker after 1 season. How long before DBAT drops the Mustangs nickname?

Do DBAT or Mustangs have fields to mimic the East Cobb model? I recall using HS fields during son's Mustang days. The Marshals have that nice complex at Craig Ranch. How does that play into this scenario? I remember some early conversations w/ Shayne when he said the goal was to reproduce and eclipse the complex built in East Cobb.
ballboy -- I have respect for both organizations. I don't understand what you're looking for and why. Are you asking Cade or Shayne to come out and say, "we invited the Tigers but Tommy wasn't interested."? Why is that important? Maybe there was never an intent to include Tommy. And isn't that ok too? The Tigers have been successful for a long time and will continue to be a great option for many kids in the Metroplex. The same is true for the DBAT Mustangs, the Marshals, and many other clubs. You won't hear from Sam in this forum. Cade or catcher may answer.....but they may decide to let today's news speak for itself. In any case, your son should welcome the opportunity to try out for both groups.
why doesn't everyone just be truthful about the merge.

Sam sees it as a way for the Mustangs to continue on when he retires.
DBAT sees it as a business move to sell more equipment. Cade already said summer teams do not make any money, based on time involved. So the money must be coming from selling equipment.

And Shayne wants in on the action and was willing to dump the Marshalls.

So what we have is strickly a business decision. An opportunity to corner the market and hopefully make some money.

So it will just come down to: does everyone want to help them build their name and their business?
To be honest, after thinking about it, I really don't think this will change DFW baseball as much as we may think.

Look at it this way.

In the recent past the Mustangs, DBAT, and Tigers have pretty much been your 3 top teams in the 16,17,18 age groups in DFW.

With the merger, assuming they have the multiple teams they speak of, you basically will have the same thing for all teams.

1 team that's really good.(DBAT MUSTANGS OR TIGERS)

1 team that is good. (DBAT MUSTANGS OR TIGERS)

1 team that is a really good team. (DBAT MUSTANGS OR TIGERS)

Catch my drift?

Whatever team gets hot in the post season will be tagged as the best.

Then, for the entire fall.....folks will talk about how 1 organization surely is better than the other because so and so beat so and so when it counted blah blah blah.........

Only difference is now there will be a battle between 2 top organizations instead of 3.

Which in reality, that's all it was here recently anyways. Smile

What I really want to know is when the website gets updated........

Will Ben Grieve be listed as a DBAT Mustang?

Or when they show the history records, will they list the DBAT Knights Kershaw/Tolleson no hitter against the Mustangs?

Boy, this could get confusing.

What hat will they wear?

Will DBAT now be included and get to hold the golden horseshoe during all the AABC post season tournaments?

Will SWAC be allowed in the dugout when Sam is coaching?

Will Cade give Sam a big hug after each game?

Holy smokes, this is getting so weird.

What league will they play in? Lone Star or BBI?

I guess DBAT is Premier too now? Will the DBAT Mustangs go to the Premier WS?

Who picks up the tab at dinner? Mustangs or DBAT?
Ken- I would agree that the team that will end up labeled the "best" will be the one that goes the furthest in the post season, but I feel the levels on each team will go more like...

really really good team,

really good team,

really good team.

It seems as if one team will end up extra stacked, with the other two just being stacked.
Marshals.rule....

I have read your posts, and I am not sure how any organization(s) "corner the market" or "control select baseball in DFW", but you seem to be certain that it can be done. I would think if that were true, it would have already been done and this entire discussion would not be happening.

My understanding is the Marshals (one L) have been left in the very capable hands of Brett McCabe, a great baseball guy (he coached my son at 14) and a fine person. So it doesn't sound to me like they are going "away". I have no idea what the Marshalls are doing.

As the parent of neither a DBatter or Mustang, I would like to provide my perspective. Maybe it isn't about the money, maybe it is about WINNING (not just going to compete) in national events. I agree that the DFW area has the talent in ballplayers, but not enough talent for 3-6 teams to WIN on the big stage, but certainly enough for 1-2 to have a really great chance. At the end of the day, parents and players are in the same position they have always been, decisions about where and who to play for are made. "Little Johnny" will either make a team or he won't. That isn't much different this year than in years past. There are still options, and if you don't like one or don't get one, there will be other opportunities.

Some will see this as the glass half-full, other as half-empty. As a half-full kind of guy, I think the opportunity for young men to compete at a very high level (or at the highest level they are capable of playing) is what this is all about, and I think most of the players would like the opportunity to TRY to play on this team (but of course not all will be selected). But if "little Johnny" doesn't make it, it isn't the end of the world and there will be somewhere for him to play, maybe even for another DBATSTANG team. Again, that isn't any different after the merger than it was before. I think it can be a good thing, and time will tell. I have already stated on another post that the MSL was one of the best things that happened for my son's baseball life, and these are the same guys (and there were some nay-sayers about that as well). I know there are a lot of details to be worked out, but I don't see any reason why they can't be successful at this venture, and I don't think the world of baseball in DFW has really changed all that dramatically in the last 24 hours.

Good Luck to Sam, Cade and Shayne. (oh, and if you use DBATSTANG I want a royalty payment)
quote:

It seems as if one team will end up extra stacked, with the other two just being stacked.

That's the way it is today really.

And remember, the first DBAT team that went to Farmington was probably the less talented of all the bunches.

Talent only gets you so far as we all know.

I personally think the merger will work fine as I really see no change.

Sam will surely coach a team.

Rusty I'm sure will be back.

Sharp will be around.

And that young boy Dillon is already getting geared up.

Cade and Shayne will defend their creation like they've always done.

The Tigers internet clan will still drink hateraide.

Tommy's kids will still swing it with authority.

DBAT Mustangs will have the arms.

SWAC will have DBAT Mustang hats to pass out at local elementry schools.

All while Kyle sits back with a big cigar and a smile on his face.
From an article entitled "Playing with Pride" (about bringing Texas born players into the Rangers organization) in the "Official Rangers Game Program April 25-May 1,2008".

"As we study other clubs and some of their successful practices, one thing that stood out is how the Braves dominated amateur scouting in the Southeast, and Georgia in particular," said General Manager Jon Daniels. "Since we're located in such an athletic hotbed, there's no reason we shouldn't have similar success in our own backyard."

The East Cobb Baseball organization is not mentioned directly above, but it is the driver of baseball in the Atlanta area. For those who haven't been to the site, I suggest that you check out www.eastcobbbaseball.com before you begin throwing stones at what these guys are trying to create for your sons. Based on Jon Daniels comments above, the Rangers will certainly be watching how this develops. I only wish this had been in place when my son was coming up through the ranks. I have a friend whose son started in the East Cobb system at 11 years old and he has nothing but great things to say about the way his son was taught to play the game. His son is in college now and playing at a prominent D1 program.

If you are really honest about it, if your son is still playing select ball at 16u, it is because he wants to continue playing after high school. If these gentlemen run this organization well and they help every player in their organization find a place to play after high school, is anyone really going to begrudge them making a decent living?
Last edited by Uncle Ethan
With all the speculation about motives for the merger, allow me to posit another possibility. Maybe, just maybe, this is happening because it is the best alternative for a lot of young men to develop their baseball skills, gain exposure with college coaches (of all levels) and further their futures in baseball.

If the model is East Cobb, and they are successful, that will surely be the result. So what's wrong with that?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.