Skip to main content

August 2008 marks the beginning of a new era in select baseball in the D/FW Metroplex as well as the entire North Texas region. The Dallas Mustangs and D-BAT of Dallas are merging their select baseball team operations to form the D-BAT Mustangs Baseball Club. This new organization will be led by Sam Carpenter of the Dallas Mustangs, Cade Griffis of D-BAT, and Shayne Currin, formerly of the McKinney Marshals. The purpose of the merger is to create a platform for high school and youth aged baseball players to develop their natural talents within a team concept while exhibiting their skills to college coaches and professional scouts in an effort to continue playing baseball beyond high school. The concept is loosely based on the highly regarded East Cobb Baseball Club based in the Atlanta, GA area.

“I believe that the true baseball people in DFW have wanted something like this to happen for a long time, but I don't think anyone ever thought that it could be pulled off. In 5 years, I believe people will look back and realize what a HUGE deal this is,” said the owner and president of D-BAT, Cade Griffis.

“Dallas is not the baseball power it once was. We have too many teams with too many good players spread out around the D/FW Metroplex. This effort of combining the Mustangs and D-BAT will only strengthen amateur baseball in this region, with the result being more national championships for Metroplex kids”, said Shayne Currin, the Director of Operations for the D-BAT Mustangs Baseball Club.

Sam Carpenter, the founder of the Dallas Mustangs, said, “This merger makes too much sense to ignore the possibilities. The hard part was getting three very competitive guys to look past what each had accomplished to what could be accomplished together. After last fall's experience working together on the Metro Scout League, each of us had a sense of what the next step could be for youth baseball in the Metroplex if we worked together. We are committed to doing that so that the kids have the benefit of our teamwork.”

The D-BAT Mustangs Baseball Club will begin operations on September 1, 2008. Tryouts for 2009 teams will begin in November 2008. Any questions should be directed to Shayne Currin at (214) 551-1979 or email him at marshalsbaseball@hotmail.com. Look for tryout information on the clubs website in OCTOBER at www.dbatmustangs.com
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

These three guys sound fairly articulate when they are quoted by the adoring press. Big Grin

Congratulations friends (on one of the worst kept secrets in Dallas baseball history).

I, for one, look forward to watching things fall into place. When is the press conference? I want to ask about the hats. And I think catcher needs a new email address. Cool

-MD
Last edited by Panther Dad
Hmmm... DBAT consumed the Knights - They dropped the DBAT Knights moniker after 1 season. How long before DBAT drops the Mustangs nickname?

Do DBAT or Mustangs have fields to mimic the East Cobb model? I recall using HS fields during son's Mustang days. The Marshals have that nice complex at Craig Ranch. How does that play into this scenario? I remember some early conversations w/ Shayne when he said the goal was to reproduce and eclipse the complex built in East Cobb.
ballboy -- I have respect for both organizations. I don't understand what you're looking for and why. Are you asking Cade or Shayne to come out and say, "we invited the Tigers but Tommy wasn't interested."? Why is that important? Maybe there was never an intent to include Tommy. And isn't that ok too? The Tigers have been successful for a long time and will continue to be a great option for many kids in the Metroplex. The same is true for the DBAT Mustangs, the Marshals, and many other clubs. You won't hear from Sam in this forum. Cade or catcher may answer.....but they may decide to let today's news speak for itself. In any case, your son should welcome the opportunity to try out for both groups.
why doesn't everyone just be truthful about the merge.

Sam sees it as a way for the Mustangs to continue on when he retires.
DBAT sees it as a business move to sell more equipment. Cade already said summer teams do not make any money, based on time involved. So the money must be coming from selling equipment.

And Shayne wants in on the action and was willing to dump the Marshalls.

So what we have is strickly a business decision. An opportunity to corner the market and hopefully make some money.

So it will just come down to: does everyone want to help them build their name and their business?
To be honest, after thinking about it, I really don't think this will change DFW baseball as much as we may think.

Look at it this way.

In the recent past the Mustangs, DBAT, and Tigers have pretty much been your 3 top teams in the 16,17,18 age groups in DFW.

With the merger, assuming they have the multiple teams they speak of, you basically will have the same thing for all teams.

1 team that's really good.(DBAT MUSTANGS OR TIGERS)

1 team that is good. (DBAT MUSTANGS OR TIGERS)

1 team that is a really good team. (DBAT MUSTANGS OR TIGERS)

Catch my drift?

Whatever team gets hot in the post season will be tagged as the best.

Then, for the entire fall.....folks will talk about how 1 organization surely is better than the other because so and so beat so and so when it counted blah blah blah.........

Only difference is now there will be a battle between 2 top organizations instead of 3.

Which in reality, that's all it was here recently anyways. Smile

What I really want to know is when the website gets updated........

Will Ben Grieve be listed as a DBAT Mustang?

Or when they show the history records, will they list the DBAT Knights Kershaw/Tolleson no hitter against the Mustangs?

Boy, this could get confusing.

What hat will they wear?

Will DBAT now be included and get to hold the golden horseshoe during all the AABC post season tournaments?

Will SWAC be allowed in the dugout when Sam is coaching?

Will Cade give Sam a big hug after each game?

Holy smokes, this is getting so weird.

What league will they play in? Lone Star or BBI?

I guess DBAT is Premier too now? Will the DBAT Mustangs go to the Premier WS?

Who picks up the tab at dinner? Mustangs or DBAT?
Ken- I would agree that the team that will end up labeled the "best" will be the one that goes the furthest in the post season, but I feel the levels on each team will go more like...

really really good team,

really good team,

really good team.

It seems as if one team will end up extra stacked, with the other two just being stacked.
Marshals.rule....

I have read your posts, and I am not sure how any organization(s) "corner the market" or "control select baseball in DFW", but you seem to be certain that it can be done. I would think if that were true, it would have already been done and this entire discussion would not be happening.

My understanding is the Marshals (one L) have been left in the very capable hands of Brett McCabe, a great baseball guy (he coached my son at 14) and a fine person. So it doesn't sound to me like they are going "away". I have no idea what the Marshalls are doing.

As the parent of neither a DBatter or Mustang, I would like to provide my perspective. Maybe it isn't about the money, maybe it is about WINNING (not just going to compete) in national events. I agree that the DFW area has the talent in ballplayers, but not enough talent for 3-6 teams to WIN on the big stage, but certainly enough for 1-2 to have a really great chance. At the end of the day, parents and players are in the same position they have always been, decisions about where and who to play for are made. "Little Johnny" will either make a team or he won't. That isn't much different this year than in years past. There are still options, and if you don't like one or don't get one, there will be other opportunities.

Some will see this as the glass half-full, other as half-empty. As a half-full kind of guy, I think the opportunity for young men to compete at a very high level (or at the highest level they are capable of playing) is what this is all about, and I think most of the players would like the opportunity to TRY to play on this team (but of course not all will be selected). But if "little Johnny" doesn't make it, it isn't the end of the world and there will be somewhere for him to play, maybe even for another DBATSTANG team. Again, that isn't any different after the merger than it was before. I think it can be a good thing, and time will tell. I have already stated on another post that the MSL was one of the best things that happened for my son's baseball life, and these are the same guys (and there were some nay-sayers about that as well). I know there are a lot of details to be worked out, but I don't see any reason why they can't be successful at this venture, and I don't think the world of baseball in DFW has really changed all that dramatically in the last 24 hours.

Good Luck to Sam, Cade and Shayne. (oh, and if you use DBATSTANG I want a royalty payment)
quote:

It seems as if one team will end up extra stacked, with the other two just being stacked.

That's the way it is today really.

And remember, the first DBAT team that went to Farmington was probably the less talented of all the bunches.

Talent only gets you so far as we all know.

I personally think the merger will work fine as I really see no change.

Sam will surely coach a team.

Rusty I'm sure will be back.

Sharp will be around.

And that young boy Dillon is already getting geared up.

Cade and Shayne will defend their creation like they've always done.

The Tigers internet clan will still drink hateraide.

Tommy's kids will still swing it with authority.

DBAT Mustangs will have the arms.

SWAC will have DBAT Mustang hats to pass out at local elementry schools.

All while Kyle sits back with a big cigar and a smile on his face.
From an article entitled "Playing with Pride" (about bringing Texas born players into the Rangers organization) in the "Official Rangers Game Program April 25-May 1,2008".

"As we study other clubs and some of their successful practices, one thing that stood out is how the Braves dominated amateur scouting in the Southeast, and Georgia in particular," said General Manager Jon Daniels. "Since we're located in such an athletic hotbed, there's no reason we shouldn't have similar success in our own backyard."

The East Cobb Baseball organization is not mentioned directly above, but it is the driver of baseball in the Atlanta area. For those who haven't been to the site, I suggest that you check out www.eastcobbbaseball.com before you begin throwing stones at what these guys are trying to create for your sons. Based on Jon Daniels comments above, the Rangers will certainly be watching how this develops. I only wish this had been in place when my son was coming up through the ranks. I have a friend whose son started in the East Cobb system at 11 years old and he has nothing but great things to say about the way his son was taught to play the game. His son is in college now and playing at a prominent D1 program.

If you are really honest about it, if your son is still playing select ball at 16u, it is because he wants to continue playing after high school. If these gentlemen run this organization well and they help every player in their organization find a place to play after high school, is anyone really going to begrudge them making a decent living?
Last edited by Uncle Ethan
With all the speculation about motives for the merger, allow me to posit another possibility. Maybe, just maybe, this is happening because it is the best alternative for a lot of young men to develop their baseball skills, gain exposure with college coaches (of all levels) and further their futures in baseball.

If the model is East Cobb, and they are successful, that will surely be the result. So what's wrong with that?
quote:
Originally posted by madmacks:
GEEEEEEZE...Do any of you folks have a real job? I think Obama and McCain could use several of you on their teams as you all can spin things in all kinds of directions!!! I'm starting my own organization now called the misfits...giving a home to all those left out in the cold and still want to play ball!!! LOL. HAHAHAHAHA

Really, where are these kids going to go? Is DBAT planning on make 7+ teams to accompany them all?
quote:
Originally posted by marshals.rule:
So what we have is strickly a business decision. An opportunity to corner the market and hopefully make some money.

So it will just come down to: does everyone want to help them build their name and their business?

You'd think some of you people don't live in the real world or you're naive to it. Not many things are free and outside of doing things for family and friends, many decisions are business decision.

That doesn't mean simply "...help them build their name and their business." Business is about reciprocal value. Businesses that offer value to someone, i.e. customers succeed. Those that don't fail. If DBat-Mustangs provide value to someone, i.e. players, parents, scouts, etc. They will succeed. If not, they'll fail. Do you shop WalMart? You're helping them "...build their name and their business." In return, you get good prices. You don't want to shop WalMart - then don't.

Business is not a crime. Don't act like it is and don't like someone can make a business decision that still provides substantial value to the businesses constituents. That's what good business is.

You want something else - stick with somebody's daddy.
And I'll say it before anyone else - Who's ur Daddy?

End soap box.

.rockdad.
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
quote:

That's the way it is today really.

And remember, the first DBAT team that went to Farmington was probably the less talented of all the bunches.

Talent only gets you so far as we all know.

I personally think the merger will work fine as I really see no change.

Sam will surely coach a team.

Rusty I'm sure will be back.

Sharp will be around.

And that young boy Dillon is already getting geared up.

Cade and Shayne will defend their creation like they've always done.

The Tigers internet clan will still drink hateraide.

Tommy's kids will still swing it with authority.

DBAT Mustangs will have the arms.

SWAC will have DBAT Mustang hats to pass out at local elementry schools.

All while Kyle sits back with a big cigar and a smile on his face.

I'll just chime in quickly, without saying too much.

The one problem I see possibly occurring with this (that no one else has mentioned as far as I can tell-I haven't read every thing in every post) is team atmosphere (I can't really decide on a good word here, but hopefully the rest will make it more clear). Maybe it's not that important, but I think it is. If kids are going to a new team each year once they are 14 or 15, I think this idea (or team) gets lost. Sure this won't happen for some kids, but others it will, and I think it can affect the entire team. There is something to be said for being a team. I'd like to know if this new organization is planning on assembling what they feel is the best team every year at that level, or if they try to assemble the best at a given age and let the group stay together with minimal changes?

Of course it all comes down to what the player and parents are wanting out of the deal.

Who knows if I'm making any sense, school starts in over a week.
Last edited by Dtiger
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Crude:
Still comparing this project to East Cobb.

What has changed? The facility? Where is it? Is it some new place that just opened with enough baseball fields, cages and bullpens to support 15 - 25 teams?

You have the same problem we've always had here in North Texas. There's plenty of talent, lot's of great teams and organizations with good baseball men in charge, but no facility.

Our teams have recycled the same players from team to team. I've read here a hundred times how these players have played for the Tigers, then the Patriots, the Mustangs, the Marshals, Team Kelly, etc...

DBAT has a hard time housing the teams it hosts now. What do you think will happen when they double or triple the amount of people in the organization?

I know why guys like Shayne are interested in this merger. I know he's coming from "living the dream" that never came true, but is he going to get the resources he needs from DBAT?

I know how serious he is about recruiting the best players... as evidenced by the recent email solicitations to players currently with the Marshals, (nice ethical move taking proprietary information like that with you) and the try outs he's holding for the Mustangs, oops Marshals, at Parish this weekend.

The DBAG Mustangs may be one of the last organizations standing in a few years, but nobody is reinventing the wheel here. It's the same old thing, and when there are less options we'll all be paying twice as much as we are now.

TC... maybe I'm Captain obvious here but isn't some of the reasons you see kids migrating from one team to the next is they think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I.E. better coaching better exposure, etc... My son went from the Heat to the A's and now the Mustangs. All of these moves made him a better person and ball player. He made new friends and had two of the best coaches I've seen in my 40 years of playing and coaching. If the merger means quality coaching quality management and quality marketing how can a parent or player complain ???
Every family has to make their own decision regarding their child's select baseball experience.

If your player is currently a Marshal or a Tiger or any other team, and you are happy with the organization, why would you leave or have a problem with this merger...it doesn't affect you, nor does it drive up any costs to you.
As far as that goes, this merger was just announced, so we don't know yet how it will impact the area baseball, if it does at all.

Regarding the recruiting of players on other teams, PLEASE Roll Eyes. That has gone on forever and will continue. No one is sticking a gun to anyone else's head and forcing them to do anything. All a player has to tell them is "No, I am happy where I am."

Regarding the facility, I believe the announcement stated that they want to build one soon, but as most people are aware, privately run baseball facilities are a tough financial venture without the proper planning and investing.

I don't think anyone said they were reinventing the wheel here. As a matter of fact, Cade specifically said he was loosely copying the East Cobb model. No, there is no baseball complex (yet), but at least these guys are stepping up, putting aside any past differences, and trying something new.

You can choose to be a part of it or not, but I don't see where anyone shuld have any complaints. Time will tell whether it will succeed or fail, but with these guys track record, I am betting it will succeed.
"Everything has to start somewhere, everything is constantly changing, and everyone is not going to be happy with every decision that is made."

These are words uttered by John Hancock, about our country and our severing ties from Great Brittan. Very few thought this was a good idea, but they stayed the course and things seemingly worked out ok.
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Crude:
Captain Obvious?

PLayers leave for greener pastures all the time. What I was trying to illustrate, and you helped, is that there's not that much difference. You leave Team A to go to Team B and there you are with three or four players from Team A that are now on Team B.

You leave coach #1 with the Red Organization to play for coach #2 w/ the Blue Organization, then coach #1 is coaching for the Blue team organization.

(Even Catcher is back with the Mustangs)

None of these organizations are offering anything new. They're just repackaging the same old merchandise.

The players are recycled, the coaches are recycled, the organization sales pitch is the same from A to Z, and nobody's getting rich from youth baseball, but everyone has their hand out to collect what they can, and the dimes are adding up for us parents.

tychco,

"Regarding the recruiting of players on other teams, PLEASE . That has gone on forever and will continue."

Talking to players and parents in the parking lot, or asking them for a contact for solicitaion is one thing. Taking a contact list from one company to another company, is okay with you because everyone does it? Not everyone.

So TC... what you are saying is the coaches are moving like the players ??? I think Capenter and Sharp have been with the Mustangs since the Civil War give or take a few years.

If the cost becomes too expensive, I'm sure there are multiple organizations that are lot cheaper than the ones getting bashed in this blog.

I also agree with you about the pirating of lists. Its done every day in every type of business... I'm not saying I agree with it but it does happen.

And yes all the organizations get lists of other teams players and solicite them. I have gotten these calls on behalf of my son personally.
None of this matters anyways........

Team, schmeme, horse feathers.

The goal is to get drafted and make millions of dollars.

If that doesn't work, Division 1 full ride or bust.

Poopoo on good teams, very good teams, or just teams in general.

It's all about the individual and self promotion in my opinion.

As long as my son gets to the top, I don't care what team it's with.

If the DBAT Mustangs offer us the most incentives, that's where we'll be.

If not, we'll just buy our way with the best lessons money can buy.

And if that doesn't work, I'll just get on the internet and let you know how he was treated unfairly.

Got to go, just got 3 invites to the Perfect Premier Super Serious Series of the World Event.

Only "special" players get these invites.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
quote:

And if that doesn't work, I'll just get on the internet and let you know how he was treated unfairly.

Got to go, just got 3 invites to the Perfect Premier Super Serious Series of the World Event.

KG... I laughed when I read this and then went, wait a minute he just described a whole bunch of parents I know...
Last edited by Maverick0714
quote:

Texas Crude and Ball Boy I am making myself available tomorrow between 2:00pm – 4pm so you can call me. I will answer every question you ask. My parents and players will also get a chance to hear every detail that we have not covered soon.

My number is 972-387-3228 if for any reason I do not answer please leave a message and I will call you back within 15 minutes.

Ken do not call I will not answer any of your questions, due to we will have plenty of time to talk around the camp fire.
I have stayed out of the mix all summer because there didn't seem to be any profit in it to post here to my son's effort to play at the next level.....that and I have been to busy traveling with work to really pay attention.

But this thread and the topic of DBAT and The Mustangs merging has caused me to stop and think about it.....

This might be a good thing because I can see the two tiers of teams for each age group having extactly the players they want and developing those players as a team and not changing the parts to any large extent. Players will still change teams and players will be picked up as needed and as the CM rules allow but it might be less of an event and more of an understood process.

I am sure there will be plenty of talented players that don't try-out for the new entity and will play for the many other good teams like the Tigers or the Team D group, Patriots and A's etc.....and the Marshals...

Hey Catcher, where will the Catfish play?

I hope that they are sucessfully in acquiring the land and resources needed to build a East Cobb like Complex because then a lot of talent will be coming to Dallas looking for teams to play and play on. If that happens all the DFW teams will benefit and our players will be playing against the best a lot more.

Iron sharpen Iron.
Same ol' thing the hundredth time around. Teams have merged, and teams have come and gone (anyone remember DPA? What was that manager's name? The guy w/ all of the freckles?) DANG I'm getting old!

There will always be teams for kids and young men to play on, as long as people volunteer their time to help them. Some have enough demand to be paid for their time. Some want the best team they can put together. Some want to make a little change to help with some of their expenses. Some want to help as many kids as possible without regard to their own record or pocket book. Don't see a problem with any of it.
quote:
Originally posted by tychco:
Were you guys swinging the hickory bats and wearing wool uni's? Big Grin

My first bat boy uni was wool! I didn't care that it was hot, just as long as I could run the bases after the game and SLIDE!!!!!

It's amazing how summer baseball has transformed from Kips, Mavericks, Dallas Police Association, etc. into what it is today. When my dad started up the Mavericks in the mid 1960's, (they were not called that until 1976 I believe...I do remember the meeting where they picked the team name though), he had no intention of making money, which he didn't at all. Denny Dixon and B.J. Dixon both played on the team. At first he had a sponsor who would help pay for the uniforms. Then he would put a old wooden box at the gate with a sign that read "Admission is free. Donations are appreciated". You could do that back then in McKinney because people liked seeing good baseball and no one would ever steal that money either. Mom would keep score in the book, sell drinks out of an old wash tub PLUS keep an eye on me and my sisters. That was at the old McKinney high school field that directly behind the east side of the football field (Ron Poe Stadium). When the present day location was built, they put in a concession stand and that's when mom really got involved by selling her famous sweet tea. I asked my dad why he did it, start the summer baseball team and not ask for money, he told me he wanted to give something back to the community that helped keep him out of trouble and provide good baseball. He also wanted to give young men a chance to play baseball past high school. He didn't have tryouts to choose his players nor did they have to pay to play. He made up his team from the McKinney kids as well as players he had seen while umpiring in the rural towns around the area. Those that were good enough got a chance to play in college and they never went any further than Dallas, Ardmore,or Durnat, Oklahoma to play. No showcases or fall leagues, just summer baseball. That's the way I did it and I got to play in college. There weren't as many college baseball programs out there either, but it seems that people have to try harder and harder to get a chance to play now a days.

Times have sure changed.
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkman:
quote:
Your OLDER brother played there...dang, Expo37, how old are you anyway? Were you guys swinging the hickory bats and wearing wool uni's? Big Grin

Hello, Pot? This is your 'ol buddy Kettle.

All right Hawkman, if I wanted your opinion I would beat it out of you...
quote:
Originally posted by L.A.:
quote:
Were you guys swinging the hickory bats and wearing wool uni's? Big Grin

My first bat boy uni was wool! I didn't care that it was hot, just as long as I could run the bases after the game and SLIDE!!!!!

It's amazing how summer baseball has transformed from Kips, Mavericks, Dallas Police Association, etc. into what it is today. When my dad started up the Mavericks in the mid 1960's, (they were not called that until 1976 I believe...I do remember the meeting where they picked the team name though), he had no intention of making money, which he didn't at all. Denny Dixon and B.J. Dixon both played on the team. At first he had a sponsor who would help pay for the uniforms. Then he would put a old wooden box at the gate with a sign that read "Admission is free. Donations are appreciated". You could do that back then in McKinney because people liked seeing good baseball and no one would ever steal that money either. Mom would keep score in the book, sell drinks out of an old wash tub PLUS keep an eye on me and my sisters. That was at the old McKinney high school field that directly behind the east side of the football field (Ron Poe Stadium). When the present day location was built, they put in a concession stand and that's when mom really got involved by selling her famous sweet tea. I asked my dad why he did it, start the summer baseball team and not ask for money, he told me he wanted to give something back to the community that helped keep him out of trouble and provide good baseball. He also wanted to give young men a chance to play baseball past high school. He didn't have tryouts to choose his players nor did they have to pay to play. He made up his team from the McKinney kids as well as players he had seen while umpiring in the rural towns around the area. Those that were good enough got a chance to play in college and they never went any further than Dallas, Ardmore,or Durnat, Oklahoma to play. No showcases or fall leagues, just summer baseball. That's the way I did it and I got to play in college. There weren't as many college baseball programs out there either, but it seems that people have to try harder and harder to get a chance to play now a days.

Times have sure changed.

Awesome stuff right there.

Not one comment from anyone until now.

Doesn't surprise me. Roll Eyes

I enjoyed your post and just for a minute, a short minute, I reflected on what the game was and should still be.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
I too played in the wool uni...the ones that you had to return to the league to be used the next season. We kept our hats and sleeves.

We played in Little League with different sections around the town playing against each other, then the champions of each section played in the city championship. When the championship was over, that was it until the next spring.

Concession stands, neighborhood teams, volunteers all made it a great memory...much like you guys are referring to.

Just because the structure of youth ball has changed, though, doesn't make it worse...just different. There are aspects of each to enjoy and aspects of each that could stand some improvement.

I choose to enjoy today's ball as much as I enjoyed playing in the wool uni of yesteryear. Ken, I do appreciate the sentiment you have regarding the old way of doing things and, if that hadn't changed much over the years, I would enjoy it today. But it has and I still believe there is quality, enjoyable baseball for every ability level today.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.