Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by tychco:
Were you guys swinging the hickory bats and wearing wool uni's? Big Grin

My first bat boy uni was wool! I didn't care that it was hot, just as long as I could run the bases after the game and SLIDE!!!!!

It's amazing how summer baseball has transformed from Kips, Mavericks, Dallas Police Association, etc. into what it is today. When my dad started up the Mavericks in the mid 1960's, (they were not called that until 1976 I believe...I do remember the meeting where they picked the team name though), he had no intention of making money, which he didn't at all. Denny Dixon and B.J. Dixon both played on the team. At first he had a sponsor who would help pay for the uniforms. Then he would put a old wooden box at the gate with a sign that read "Admission is free. Donations are appreciated". You could do that back then in McKinney because people liked seeing good baseball and no one would ever steal that money either. Mom would keep score in the book, sell drinks out of an old wash tub PLUS keep an eye on me and my sisters. That was at the old McKinney high school field that directly behind the east side of the football field (Ron Poe Stadium). When the present day location was built, they put in a concession stand and that's when mom really got involved by selling her famous sweet tea. I asked my dad why he did it, start the summer baseball team and not ask for money, he told me he wanted to give something back to the community that helped keep him out of trouble and provide good baseball. He also wanted to give young men a chance to play baseball past high school. He didn't have tryouts to choose his players nor did they have to pay to play. He made up his team from the McKinney kids as well as players he had seen while umpiring in the rural towns around the area. Those that were good enough got a chance to play in college and they never went any further than Dallas, Ardmore,or Durnat, Oklahoma to play. No showcases or fall leagues, just summer baseball. That's the way I did it and I got to play in college. There weren't as many college baseball programs out there either, but it seems that people have to try harder and harder to get a chance to play now a days.

Times have sure changed.
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkman:
quote:
Your OLDER brother played there...dang, Expo37, how old are you anyway? Were you guys swinging the hickory bats and wearing wool uni's? Big Grin

Hello, Pot? This is your 'ol buddy Kettle.

All right Hawkman, if I wanted your opinion I would beat it out of you...
quote:
Originally posted by L.A.:
quote:
Were you guys swinging the hickory bats and wearing wool uni's? Big Grin

My first bat boy uni was wool! I didn't care that it was hot, just as long as I could run the bases after the game and SLIDE!!!!!

It's amazing how summer baseball has transformed from Kips, Mavericks, Dallas Police Association, etc. into what it is today. When my dad started up the Mavericks in the mid 1960's, (they were not called that until 1976 I believe...I do remember the meeting where they picked the team name though), he had no intention of making money, which he didn't at all. Denny Dixon and B.J. Dixon both played on the team. At first he had a sponsor who would help pay for the uniforms. Then he would put a old wooden box at the gate with a sign that read "Admission is free. Donations are appreciated". You could do that back then in McKinney because people liked seeing good baseball and no one would ever steal that money either. Mom would keep score in the book, sell drinks out of an old wash tub PLUS keep an eye on me and my sisters. That was at the old McKinney high school field that directly behind the east side of the football field (Ron Poe Stadium). When the present day location was built, they put in a concession stand and that's when mom really got involved by selling her famous sweet tea. I asked my dad why he did it, start the summer baseball team and not ask for money, he told me he wanted to give something back to the community that helped keep him out of trouble and provide good baseball. He also wanted to give young men a chance to play baseball past high school. He didn't have tryouts to choose his players nor did they have to pay to play. He made up his team from the McKinney kids as well as players he had seen while umpiring in the rural towns around the area. Those that were good enough got a chance to play in college and they never went any further than Dallas, Ardmore,or Durnat, Oklahoma to play. No showcases or fall leagues, just summer baseball. That's the way I did it and I got to play in college. There weren't as many college baseball programs out there either, but it seems that people have to try harder and harder to get a chance to play now a days.

Times have sure changed.

Awesome stuff right there.

Not one comment from anyone until now.

Doesn't surprise me. Roll Eyes

I enjoyed your post and just for a minute, a short minute, I reflected on what the game was and should still be.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
I too played in the wool uni...the ones that you had to return to the league to be used the next season. We kept our hats and sleeves.

We played in Little League with different sections around the town playing against each other, then the champions of each section played in the city championship. When the championship was over, that was it until the next spring.

Concession stands, neighborhood teams, volunteers all made it a great memory...much like you guys are referring to.

Just because the structure of youth ball has changed, though, doesn't make it worse...just different. There are aspects of each to enjoy and aspects of each that could stand some improvement.

I choose to enjoy today's ball as much as I enjoyed playing in the wool uni of yesteryear. Ken, I do appreciate the sentiment you have regarding the old way of doing things and, if that hadn't changed much over the years, I would enjoy it today. But it has and I still believe there is quality, enjoyable baseball for every ability level today.
quote:
Originally posted by theygrowupfast:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
quote:
Ken, I do appreciate the sentiment you have regarding the old way of doing things

"Old Way"

And to think, I'm only 32. Big Grin

.....and yet you've done and know so much more
than us 49+ year olds! Wink

When it comes to baseball...........YES.

Like Charlie Pride would tell me....

"No brag, just a fact."

Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
After all, Ken, you were a bullpen catcher for the mighty Texas Rangers and you probably slept in a Holiday Inn Express or two along the way.

Roll Eyes

Actually my claim to fame was when I was the only 11 year old to make the cities Little League All Star team.

And don't forget my days in the minor leagues, I guess that don't count for nothing.

But yeah, I did get named to the All-Century team as bullpen catcher.

In my best Muhamad Ali voice.........

ah, never mind, you don't get it.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
Well back in the old days when you rustled up someone else's horse and you didn't want to get caught or strung up by the neck because you know they hung horse thieves. So you might try covering up the brand with a new one, that way no one would be the wiser... and that's where the star was
Last edited by PBB
I probably missed the post that stated what I am about to say. Been away a while and it's just too much to absorb at one time.

Any way here goes:

The DBat Mustangs…….. It has an interesting ring. As for the reason…….. It's gotta be the competitive drive of not winning the "BIG ONE" for a few years. These teams are "ICONS" in the Biz. Everyone knows them, nation wide. So putting the teams together will not make a huge difference on metroplex baseball for the following reasons.

The Top Players want to be on the top teams. There are so many spots on those top teams. When those top teams are full then you move down to the second tier of those top teams. In a players/parents mind the top is what they are trying to achieve. Now before you go jumping on me.....there are those die hards that think the second tier is only a stepping stone and that if they bide their time they will get that chance at the top tier within that organization.

Now here comes the rub. Jimmy is not exactly what Coach "A" wants on his top tier team but he would look good on the next level team. The parents (which are a very fickled bunch) want Jimmy to be on the best of the best. With instructions for the past 16 years he should be able to achieve this. Jimmy's parental unit/units are not happy and will look for other options. Which is where the Marshals, Tigers and any other perceived top tier organization benefit. Is it the best team? Who’s to say. But there are other avenues and chemistry is sometimes the deciding factor.

Scout league is a marvelous concept and works well for fall baseball. Teams are structured they way they are for maximum exposure. However when summer comes around the deck will be stacked differently with the maximum effort geared toward winning. Players will move, and really good players will be going to the other top tier teams based on this and other factors.

So bottom line is, the DBAT Mustang merger will not make a significant alteration of the "GRAND ORDER" of metroplex baseball. Sure they may be a little better with a larger talent pool to pull from, but on the back side of that will be a greater trickle down effect of very good players that have not caught the eye of the DBAT Mustang selection committee. It's going to take a lot of convincing to have the 23rd best player in the metroplex to play on the second team where he is was probably a #6 player on one of the prior merger teams.

And now on to the perceived little guys. The Marshals, Tigers and others are probably thinking this is a win for us. Due to the fact we have the opportunity to give the guy that just couldn't fit in the system due to the numbers a real exposure effort on our team at the same time making our team a little better than it was.

So, be the purist I am. The farm system will work for DBAT, Mustangs, Marshals, Tigers and all the other perceived top tier team. If not by concept, by trickle down economics.

Sorry for the ramble.
Hey...you can only play 9 at a time. Granted, pitching is always an issue when playing week long tourneys, so D-Bat/Mustangs should field a stronger single "A-Team". However, I think the position players not starting for the "A-Team" will look for greener pastures and funnel some talent to the other organizations in the Metroplex.
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
I probably missed the post that stated what I am about to say. Been away a while and it's just too much to absorb at one time.

Any way here goes:

The DBat Mustangs…….. It has an interesting ring. As for the reason…….. It's gotta be the competitive drive of not winning the "BIG ONE" for a few years. These teams are "ICONS" in the Biz. Everyone knows them, nation wide. So putting the teams together will not make a huge difference on metroplex baseball for the following reasons.

The Top Players want to be on the top teams. There are so many spots on those top teams. When those top teams are full then you move down to the second tier of those top teams. In a players/parents mind the top is what they are trying to achieve. Now before you go jumping on me.....there are those die hards that think the second tier is only a stepping stone and that if they bide their time they will get that chance at the top tier within that organization.

Now here comes the rub. Jimmy is not exactly what Coach "A" wants on his top tier team but he would look good on the next level team. The parents (which are a very fickled bunch) want Jimmy to be on the best of the best. With instructions for the past 16 years he should be able to achieve this. Jimmy's parental unit/units are not happy and will look for other options. Which is where the Marshals, Tigers and any other perceived top tier organization benefit. Is it the best team? Who’s to say. But there are other avenues and chemistry is sometimes the deciding factor.

Scout league is a marvelous concept and works well for fall baseball. Teams are structured they way they are for maximum exposure. However when summer comes around the deck will be stacked differently with the maximum effort geared toward winning. Players will move, and really good players will be going to the other top tier teams based on this and other factors.

So bottom line is, the DBAT Mustang merger will not make a significant alteration of the "GRAND ORDER" of metroplex baseball. Sure they may be a little better with a larger talent pool to pull from, but on the back side of that will be a greater trickle down effect of very good players that have not caught the eye of the DBAT Mustang selection committee. It's going to take a lot of convincing to have the 23rd best player in the metroplex to play on the second team where he is was probably a #6 player on one of the prior merger teams.

And now on to the perceived little guys. The Marshals, Tigers and others are probably thinking this is a win for us. Due to the fact we have the opportunity to give the guy that just couldn't fit in the system due to the numbers a real exposure effort on our team at the same time making our team a little better than it was.

So, be the purist I am. The farm system will work for DBAT, Mustangs, Marshals, Tigers and all the other perceived top tier team. If not by concept, by trickle down economics.

Sorry for the ramble.

I've seen the Tigers and Marshals organizations. I've never perceived them as the Little Guys... More like 500 pound Gorillas...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.