Skip to main content

Background:
Well known program and well known coach.  A few months ago the HC invited us to attend a camp, we did, the coach asked for a pre-read after camp.  A month ago they invited us back to a final camp which is coming up.

We received a letter early last week, (I think),  from the head coach which was missed because we never check our mail.  That letter was still in our mailbox when a few days later our player saw the recruiting coordinator and assistant coach at a prospect event.  This is someone we have had meaningful contact with.  Our player spoke to this person and was told the pre-read on our application was, "overwhelmingly positive and yes the program is still looking".........

When we got home from the event and retrieved the mail we saw the letter, opened it and WOW!  The letter is from the HC, it says:

"Thanks for everything..........your great...........Unfortunately our staff has decided that you are not talented enough to play XXXXX for XXXXX university.  Good luck to you in you search......."

Has anyone gotten a letter with this type of wording?  Advice?

I framed the letter today and gave it to my player.  Our player sent a respectful, inspired, direct email response to our contact asking for clarification, a phone call, and an update on the camp invite.  That's where we are.  I guess given the school and the program I am completely floored by the language used.  Thank you.  Great forum.  I wish more people would post. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Advice: check you mail more often....

Sorry, I am just a bit skeptical of your accounting of the situation. Is that word for word, or are you paraphrasing? Seems like there is more to this.

If that's all of it, IMO it's a pretty crappy response. Coaches want to present themselves as "leaders of men" while posting the most meaningless, non-sensical quotes online while ghosting or responding like this to prospective recruits. Sorry if that's the case for you and your son.

Last edited by nycdad

I know exactly who this is from. The head coach and the recruiting coordinator are very direct, and I don’t necessarily mean that in a good way. When they offered my son, they asked what other schools he was considering and they head coach bashed the other schools and the baseball programs. it really rubbed us the wrong way. We all had some satisfaction in my son calling them to tell them he wasn’t interested in their offer. There are other posters here who have similar stories as yours in dealing with this program

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.