Skip to main content

Just wanted to know what everyone out there thinks about female baseball players playing on an all male high school baseball team. My son thinks its great. He says if she has the talent, he is all for it. There are some girls trying out for a high school team. I don't know what to think since I'm used to girls playing softball. Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks !
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by theEH:
I'm concerned about were she want's to play after HS.
If thats here desire.
If she has the talent, I don't see a problem with it.
But how about the boy that want's to play Softball??
EH
It's hard to legally stop high school athletes from crossing over. In our state crossing over means wearing the official uniform. There are three male field hockey players in skirts.
Personally I don't understand it because of the opportunities in Softball. Also I have been, in general, against it since the the whole equity thing started and they counted Football - the cash cow - in the equation, which ultimately forced reductions in scholarships in other mens sports, as there are plenty of opportunities for females.

If that particular school and conference allows boys on the softball team or other girls teams (in essense deems all sports teams coed), I cannot argue against it. However, if they do not allow this and the team has a limit on players, it deprives some boy of the opportunity to represent his school and play the sport he enjoys while there is an alternate opporunity available to the girl to compete elsewhere. This I am totally against.
Last edited by Michael'sDad
"I'm concerned about were she want's to play after HS." = that boy's program must be weak Frown

"My son thinks its great. He says if she has the talent, he is all for it." = she's kinda cute, and I'll re-think that view FAST if she threatens MY spot ...

"i wonder if she realizes the opertunity's for college scholarships in girls softball?"
she's unaware only if from another planet, or was raised from infancy by wolves!
Last edited by Bee>
They aren't going to knock any potential scholarship players off the roster but I don't think the boy that gets cut to put them on the roster will get a chance to play softball.

Why do it? To prove they can be mediocre on a weak HS team?

Hey, why don't we start paying the women's tennis players as much as the men in the majors even though the women don't draw anywhere near as many fans. Oh yeah, lawsuits.
Last edited by CADad
There's a girl on my son's HS football team. (There's no cut, so everybody who goes out wears the pads on either JV or varsity.)

The guys are all fine with it. She isn't even close to being able to compete, but she goes to all the practices. The guys try to treat her like just another player, but I know that they don't hit her as hard as they could in drills and such.

Just something she always wanted to do, she says.
I'm all for equal rights and if the girl can play who cares. But football? My mom would have killed me if I hurt a girl, football game or not. I'm gonna have to think about this one for a while. I can't see myself or my wife saying, "Great hit" to junior if it was a girl he took out.

I guess it will be a split decision between modern brain thinking that everyone is equal and old fashioned brain thinking protect the women and children.
I thought the rule was that a girl/guy could only try out for the opposite genders team if there was no corresponding sport available to them.

If there is no girls football team then she can go out for football. That is why there are girl wrestlers and guy field hockey players.

My guess is that if the school has a softball team the baseball coach could prevent her from trying out for the baseball team. And he should. If softball is available then she should play that and not take a spot on the team away from a guy.

This is not a talent issue at all. It is about equal opportunity to participate.
quote:
Originally posted by 20dad:
I wonder if she realizes the opertunity's for college scholarships in girls softball? if she's good enough to play baseball she chew up softball.
12 total rides ... Pitchers and catchers are usually the only full scholarships .... Ever see Jenny Finch embarass MLB all-stars? It's not that simple to cross over.
There is a woman pitcher who is on the men's baseball team at a college in Tennessee....a scholarship player...She doesn't play much, but she is on the USA Baseball Women's National team and travels all over the world playing baseball.....She has been to Europe, Australia, and Japan playing baseball--places where my sons would love to play...my daughters, too, for that matter, but they play softball......

http://www.awbf.org/
Last edited by play baseball
Case closed?
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm,...pardon moi, but I don't think so.

I have a daughter who wants to play baseball, NOT softball.
Why are there no girls baseball teams? If there are no baseball teams for girls,..then I say may the best athlete win a spot on the baseball roster.

If a boy wants to play softball, dont see why he shouldnt be allowed to. If boys want to start a all male softball league,..I say go for it.

There are girls s****r teams, swim teams, tennis teams, wrestling teams, basketball teams, golf teams, volleyball teams, la cross, ( need to take a breath ) track teams, rifle, cross country, field hockey, gymnastics, water polo, canoe teams, surf team,...you name it, they have it.

But no baseball team,...I scream NO FAIR!!!!!

I think there should be girls baseball teams/leagues.
My daughter will be first in line to sign up!..and if there are no leagues,....watch out dudes,...I have a 5'9 13 year old, who can bat like a mad dog, run like the wind,..and isnt afraid of getting her ponytail ribbon dirty. Wink
Last edited by shortstopmom
quote:
Originally posted by shortstopmom:
I have a 5'9 13 year old, who can bat like a mad dog, run like the wind ...
She's probably close to being done growing while most boys are just starting to grow. This age is where the boys start taking over physically.
Last edited by RJM
I have to agree with our new member who seems to be very intrested in girl's softball.

In LL there was a girl who played in the league. The boys loved her, but not sure they loved having her play with them. She could hit, she was stronger than they were at 11,12,13.
I've always taught son to be kind, polite and gentle to females and this didn't fit the mold for him, he felt ucomfortable when he was up against her.

I have to agree with TR, no way do I want a girl playing on son's HS team. I am definetly into equal rights for woman, but this is the time son began to seriously think about the next level, to learn to be competitive on the mound and I just can't see him doing that with a female at the plate.

JMO.
My sons took some lessons at a baseball academy in a Chicago suburb a few years ago. We spoke with one of the employees, a college graduate who had played baseball in college. In the course of one of our conversations, we discovered that he played a game against the female pitcher. He told us that she wasn't very overpowering, but she could hit her spots. She struck out a bunch of hitters....and of course, they couldn't believe it. They were very embarrassed. She was a freshman---and it was her first win.

shortstopmom--If you click on the link that I posted on page one, you will see that it links to the American Women's Baseball Federation. You will discover that there are actually a number of girls who do play baseball. Perhaps they can help your daughter find a team.
Last edited by play baseball
quote:
I believe in everyone's right to try, regardless of race, gender, heighth, weight, or the color of their pet poodle.

IMHO, everyone deserves a chance.
I would like to see doors staying open and opportunities abundant.

I understand and agree. Don't think it's just a mom of a male talking, I have a female too, she didn't play a sport but was a serios dancer working towards a professional opportunity. She was more athletic than her brother. Smile

If opportunities were available for woman in the sport of baseball, football, I say go for it, but they are not and somehow IMO, it changes the game with a HS female on the field, and in other areas, even though I don't see much playing time.

A coaches job is to put teh best 9 on the field, can you just see if she was better than them, the parents complaining about lack of playing time. Big Grin
quote:
quote:
She was more athletic than her brother.

I can relate! Big Grin Wink

Wait don't get me wrong, he was athletic, just that she was in better condition than he was at an earlier age but after puberty set in, she became a bit "softer" around the edges. Wink
Shortstop Mom;

you maybe interested in the Northern California Women's Baseball League http://www.cwbl.net/

We are discussing a International trip to Australia. There is a very serious Woman's baseball program at the National level in Australia.

Many years ago, I played against the "All Star" team from the professional Woman's baseball league. The real "Dottie" was on this team and played left field. No, I am not Tom Hanks.

Our pitcher and catcher pitched for the lady's and their pitcher and catcher joined our team.
The game was played in Valentine, Nebraska and we split the admissions.

Bob Williams
Last edited by shortstopmom
when i coached LL i had three girls in 5 yrs. all pretty good. none played after that for varying reasons. puberty being one. boys grew bigger and stronger while the girls grew into young woman. while there are exceptions to everything. for the most part it is the norm.
this is why they started tittle 9. so girls had more of their own sports or the same as the men. and that is why our state university decided to drop baseball,golf and a few other non revinue mens sports to be on parr with the woman. and that still bothers me.
i remember a few years ago a group of boys( or their parents), decided if girls could play LL baseball they could play LL softball. i don't remember how it played out . does any one remember this?
Last edited by 20dad
quote:
Originally posted by P1tickethead110:
quote:
Originally posted by Dear old Dad:
If softball is available then she should play that and not take a spot on the team away from a guy.

This is not a talent issue at all. It is about equal opportunity to participate.

If the guy can't win the spot over a girl then he probably would be riding the pine all season anyway.

You misinterpreted my post. My point is that if softball is available for girls then they should be ineligible for baseball. And boys should be ineligible for softball.

The people who beleive a girl should be able to play baseball even if there is a softball team available are being myopic about the ramifications of such a policy.

A high school that would allow free participation of all sports for either gender would be a disaster. All it would take is about five or six of the best boys on the baseball team who are disgruntled with the baseball coach to show up at the first softball tryout. That would put more than half the starting girls on the bench and force the softball coach to cut some girls who couldn't possibly play baseball.

Free participation would virtually eliminate girls track and field, girls s****r, girls tennis and many other sports that are kept gender specific.

My daughter made the varsity s****r team as a sophmore and is now starting as a junior. But she, like the rest of the girls on the team, would have no chance of making the boys s****r team. The difference between the boys and girls teams is not about the talent. It is about the speed of the game.

I remember the Silver Bullets women's baseball team. They got great support. Their games on TV and great sponsorship. Their first game was against a minor league team and they got destroyed. They then started playing college teams but were still not competitive. They finally won a game against an over 35 mens team made up of overweight guys who were funny to watch but not very good.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.