Skip to main content

Ok, I know it is not Christmas yet, but who are the best 4A and 5A teams in DFW area for 2010?

Are some of these state teams returning loaded or new superstars reloading in the same old programs!

fire away:

5A Marcus, Coppell, Southlake Carroll
4A Denton Ryan, Highland Park, Rockwall Heath, Arlington Heights

Who else? McKinney North, Allen, Plano West

What will be the best pre season tournaments to go see?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Region 6 in 5A will once again be a very competitive region...

In 2009, FM Marcus made it to the final 4, Flower Mound to the final 8, Southlake Carroll to the round of 16 (lost two 1-run games to FM in playoffs) and probably the team with the most individual talent (Coppell) losing a 1 game series in the 1st round...will all reload with talent. BTW, Hebron and Lewisville also have very competitive programs.

Although key players have graduated and moved on to several D1 programs across the country, there's plenty of talent coming up through the pipelines. I won't predict the region results, but imagine the 4 teams that emerge from this district will once again be battle tested and ready for deep playoff runs.
the accolades are greatly appreciated driller, but lets hold off on engraving the trophy. there is a huge void left with the departure of brett doe. we somehow have to replace his glove, arm, bat, and leadership. chris goode also left for greener pastures during the summer so that leaves a big hole at DH and our #4 pitcher. we will have 4 new position players including three infield spots and centerfield. our strengths will be our pitching staff as well as senior leadership but the cream of the crop in region 2 has to be heath or maybe even whitehouse. a lot of people haven't heard of them but they will be tough in the playoffs. 62 days to go boys!
I agree about the Hawks from Heath. Is there a better HS hitter than Drew Benefield? Is there a deeper staff than Baune, Hernandez, Thompson, and Benefield? And young studs on the farm as well. They are poised for a deep run. It's early, yes, and must be done on the field. But since we're talking about it in December, these guys "on paper" are stacked. Look out 10-4A and Region 2.
on paper i would love to see a poteet vs heath regional final. how many people would show up to see a series that would match blunt vs baune, griffin vs hernandez, and nonemaker vs thompson? thats all on paper though and there a lot of very good teams that will have something to say about that. mc kinney, whitehouse, newman smith, rockwall, sulpher springs, red oak and others are going to be very very good. good luck to everyone and lets pray for a safe and fantastic season.
quote:
Originally posted by funneldrill:
Just to name a few from District 6 5A...

Coppell - Toth, Swinton, Abbott.
FM - Bruce, Adams, Jones, Hawes, Layne, Stephens
SLC - O'Conner, Blucher, Avers, Quintinilla, Havens
Hebron - Sawyer, Warren, Payne
LHS - Balch, Murray

Sorry if I misspelled any names. I do not have my scouting reports in front of me from last year. This is just off the top of my head. Sorry if I left anybody off, you can use it for bulletin board material if you wish. Wink

I noticed one school from that district mysteriously has no players to watch Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Big Red:
quote:
Originally posted by funneldrill:
Just to name a few from District 6 5A...

Coppell - Toth, Swinton, Abbott.
FM - Bruce, Adams, Jones, Hawes, Layne, Stephens
SLC - O'Conner, Blucher, Avers, Quintinilla, Havens
Hebron - Sawyer, Warren, Payne
LHS - Balch, Murray

Sorry if I misspelled any names. I do not have my scouting reports in front of me from last year. This is just off the top of my head. Sorry if I left anybody off, you can use it for bulletin board material if you wish. Wink

I noticed one school from that district mysteriously has no players to watch Smile

Its ok Big Red... FD ='s biggest sandbagger of all time...
The "ole ball coach" at Marcus is being modest Big Red. Rumor has it the other schools in 6-5A have pooled their booster club money to award a scholarship to Michael Gill provided that he enrolls in college in January, just so they won't have to face him. And everyone has agreed that they will intentionally walk Brodie Boyd all year long, even with the bases loaded. They don't know what to do with the rest of FD's lineup, though. Lots of prayers for either rain or another flu cancellation seems to be the current consensus.

As for their cross town rivals, no on in the district is planning on getting any hits off either Adams or Bruce, and they are simply looking for ways to rig the scoreboards to at least make the games appear close.

Coppell may have graduated a bunch, so the current plan now is to simply walk Toth to lead off the game, then let him steal second, third and home without a throw just to keep him off the bases, then try to get the other 8 guys out by yelling "Swing Batter" at them on every pitch.

Hope I didn't give away too much of everyone's game plans here.
quote:
Originally posted by Big Red:
In my opinion, I think that the team that I support will win state this year.

That being said, who are the players to watch this year? (No Freshman) I've always found this to be a much more productive conversation than predictions.

Big Red,

How did the Freshmen that reportedly played varsity last year do?

• Cole Fiola - Denton - Guyer HS (5-5A)
  • Caleb Hambrick - Cedar Hill - Cedar Hill HS (7-5A)
  • Hunter Courson - Garland - Naaman Forest (10-5A)
  • Colin Sherrod - Garland - Naaman Forest (10-5A)
  • Brett Byrum - Rowlett - Rowlett HS (10-5A)
  • Chance Markray - Garland - South Garland HS (10-5A)

• Anthony Hermalyn - McKinney - McKinney HS (9-4A)
  • Jovan Hernandez - Rockwall - Heath HS (10-4A)
  • Jake Thompson - Rockwall - Heath HS (10-4A)
  • Steven Bean - Rockwall - Rockwall HS (10-4A)
  • Spencer Edwards - Rockwall - Rockwall HS (10-4A)
  • Dane Evans - Sanger - Sanger HS (9-3A)
  • Cody Breest - Fischer - Canyon Lake HS (30-3A)
  • ?? Blackmore - Wimberley - Wimberley HS (30-3A)
  • ?? Grey - Wimberley - Wimberley HS (30-3A)
  • ?? McRoberts - Wimberley - Wimberley HS (30-3A)
  • Dalton Brown - Ponder - Ponder HS (10-2A)
  • Jared Pruett - Grapevine - Faith Christian (TAPPS 5A-1)

TexasBoy2011 - District 10-2A gets a nod from Houston.
Last edited by JunkBall2
farmerdad,

You must know a different FD than I do. He trots out very well coached teams that play hard. His kids are entusiastic and they have fun. When my son's team scrimmaged them last year before the regular season, they beat us like a rented mule. And, they made a deep playoff run.

FD brings much interesting perspective from a HS coach. It is a nice change from some of the tryout posts.

So, now, I am wondering why you post on this site.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.