Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Looking forward to the snow being gone and to tournament time in wrestling to begin because it all signals that baseball season in the Midwest is just around the corner. My son is a senior and has already committed. Should be minimal distractions. Team made a deep run last year and with a few breaks along the way , hopefully take the next step.
Tryouts in Missouri start on February 25th, and the first game will be a tournament starting March 15th.

Team should be the best in the 13 years or so the school has been playing baseball. All 8 starting position players are back, and a player who may be our best position player decided to leave the private school and attend this school. Top 2 pitchers back also, so they are thinking it could be a good year. One team in their league and district will give them a hard time.

My son is committed and should sign next week, so it will be curious to see how he handles it. He is very excited for the season.

I think my son found his calling last year during tryouts. He was a junior pitcher who was not going to get cut. So the varsity coach had him help out with the freshmen tryouts. I think he is as excited about that as he is about the season. He wants to go into teaching and be a coach now, so that is pretty cool to me.
It is an absolutely beautiful day here. Sunny and warm (82). In all honesty, I would love some cooler weather-- but it's great for baseball. Saturday was the annual field day for kids trying out. It's not required, but son has never missed it. They clean and scrub, work on field, paint, weed eat under stands, etc. Tomorrow starts tryouts, and are required by the school district to last a complete week. Son is ready and looking forward to his senior year. The only disappointment is that this is also semester exam week, and he has a few huge ones. He's studying right now. Smile
Tryouts start here in about ten days. Very thankful that our district has athletics class, so my son who is a freshman has been with the baseball coaches an entire semester already.

Pulled son aside yesterday and told him he was going to use him on both JV and to pitch on varsity so we are really excited around here today. Of course super star acts like it is no big deal. Roll Eyes Dad is trying to keep it in.

Nice to have some pressure and anxiety off going into next week. Now he can go and play hard and have some fun.
Season opener the 22nd of February for us with the Tolleson Union Tournament.
Will be LHP's first season as a primary starter. He will take over his older brothers
Role as número uno. Excited for his season, only being a Jr he can really
make a statement this year. Team went to second round of the state playoffs last year,
Hoping we at least make it that far this year.
Finished tryouts about a week and a half ago and have been practicing almost every day since. We have our Blue and White game a week from Saturday and first pre-season games start 5 Feb. Regular season starts in full on 12 Feb and we get right into the meat of District play by the 19th. Doesn't suck living in Florida if you are a baseball junkie! Big Grin

So EXCITED, honored and humbled!!

My 2016 freshman made Varsity at our 8A school... He'll be starting in LF, only the 2nd Freshman starter since 2000 -  so it's quite an honor! Coach has put him in the leadoff or 2-hole... Hope he stays there!! LOL!

We had an intersquad game last Satuday and he got to face a former SEC and MLB'ers son... Senior, 6'3" - BEAST... Throws: 90++ (HARD)...

Full Speed:

http://youtu.be/afyfwVJng8E

Frame-by-frame:

http://youtu.be/9mwWPD-jsx8

Last edited by Bolts-Coach-PR

Tryouts in NJ are start of March...my son's frosh hoops coach is also JV baseball coach (though my son is shooting for a spot on Varsity). Asked the coach about off-season workouts, he said they didn't really do that, just having the captains do some conditioning. 

So I built an indoor cage on the 2nd floor of my garage. Gotta work!

Originally Posted by FSU2Omaha:
Finished tryouts about a week and a half ago and have been practicing almost every day since. We have our Blue and White game a week from Saturday and first pre-season games start 5 Feb. Regular season starts in full on 12 Feb and we get right into the meat of District play by the 19th. Doesn't suck living in Florida if you are a baseball junkie! Big Grin

Does your son happen to play in East Lake High?

I see. You guys just happen to be on the same exact schedule as my brother's school... East Lake Pinellas 8a District 8. Same first pre-season and district game, same blue/white game, and even same time that tryouts have been over. Maybe that happens often and I was being silly... but my brother is a 2016 and it's our first time experiencing the process. 

Good luck with the season.

Originally Posted by BackstopDad32:

Wow.  How awesome is that!!  First real game correct?  Great AB.  Down 0-2 and really battled.

Were you able to fall asleep last night??

Yes & THANKS... First Spring Varsity game... I need to learn to use the camera better, I was just SO excited, I totally missed the jumping around and dog-pile on the field!! People were high-fiving me and hugging me!! LOL! There were SO many people there last night, around 200-300 - Most he's ever played in front of!! It really caught me off guard as to how many people got SO excited too!

Didn't get sleepy until midnight, then woke up at 4 am, and watched it again! LOL!

Originally Posted by proudhesmine:

Who says the pitcher has the adtvantage early in the season.Great at bat......Did you loose any buttons off your shirt?

Yep! A few buttons mysteriously dissapeared...

Well, in his first 3 AB's he hit 3 groundballs to the right side off a really tough lefty that held our entire team to only 3 hits through 5-innings... two were hard-ish hit, the other was a jam-shot... So, I guess VERY early on, the pitchers had the advantage... Not so much in the 4th AB... LOL!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.