Skip to main content

Congratulations @CubsFanInSTL! It sounds like your son had the right mindset and you all approached the process in a pragmatic and level-headed way.

I had to laugh because we did the same my son's position...looked at the size the outfielders. We learned in HS that coaches definitely have a "type" and sometimes you just "ain't it." No point trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

A long-overdue "thank you" to all of your who post -- there is a lot of wisdom here that definitely helped us out!

@PTWood, our 2024 has been following James for several years -- this without his knowing you were on this board until I told him!

Thanks for your comment, too, @adbono! By keeping things "real" and acknowledging what the true priorities are, the decision making process becomes a bit less complex. Our daughter is a 2030, so we may be going through this again with volleyball in a few years!

@adbono posted:

Most HS coaches are out of touch with college baseball in general post covid. Especially when it comes to recruiting. They don’t know what D1 material is in today’s world. Same is true for many “baseball types.”

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this statement. We were misled by similar statements about being "D1 material" from my son's travel ball coach. Those statements led to some disappointing receptions on the recruiting trail. My son has "committed" to an HA D3 (ED application pending), but we had been targeting highly competitive HA D3s figuring that a "D1 player" should garner interest from HA D3 coaches. We eventually realized that we had relied too heavily on the travel coach's assessment. But not until after we'd wasted a lot of money on showcases.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.