Skip to main content

Thank you mr. elway and mr. bowlen for making football real again in denver as the broncos have recieved Peyton Manning's commitment and supposedly a 5 yr $95 mill deal. Tebow wish you the best of luck where ever you go (rumors are JAcksonville, Cleveland and Miami). But As a die hard broncos fan and someone who dislikes the style of football teh broncos had to play with you, i hope the door hits you on the way out.....
"Baseball is like breathing, you need it to live" Go WAHOOS!!!!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tebow was good for the NFL and the Broncos in particular. They were dead in the water before he took over and he lead that team to a reasonable good season. Regardless of whether he is the prototype QB, the players got behind him for a good run. I wish him well and know that he will struggle finding success in the NFL. Still, I'm betting he will be successful in LIFE.
Nativefan,

Shouldn't we wait to see the results before naming Elway executive of the year? What if this $95 million deal doesn't work out so well? What if Denver doesn't make the playoffs next year? What if Manning gets injured again and can't play?

I too believe this is a great move for the Broncos, but nothing has been proven so far. Is Tebow gone for sure or might he still be the backup QB? I think they should run him out of the running back position and let him throw it 6 times a game. That might even help Manning stay healthier by gicving defenses a different look.

The Broncos had a good defense last year, but their offensive line (pass protection) was a bit leaky at times. Manning is not a mobile QB. He's likely to get hit a lot. And he has not taken a snap or thrown a pass since 2010. He hasn't gotten any younger in that time. For sure this will be very interesting.

BTW, I've always been a Peyton Manning fan, mainly because he is a class act. I'm still a Tebow fan for the same reason.
Tebow's gone. He will not be able to execute an offense built around Manning.

It'll end up being like the ugly girl at the dance--no one will pick him up until the lights are on and there's no other options. The team that gets him will be one that has no existing offensive plan and needs a QB cheap. So, he'll go to Miami, who have no ability to land either a solid free-agent QB or a blue-chip prospect, he'll fill the role for a couple of years until they can find one, and then...
I'll guess Tebow gets waived. I don't believe there's enough interest to warrant trading picks for him. There's also the circus that follows him. Chances are the new Jags owner wants Tebow to sell tickets. The Jags have last years first round pick at QB. It's instant QB controversy. Will the new Jags coach and GM really want this?
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
I'll guess Tebow gets waived. I don't believe there's enough interest to warrant trading picks for him. There's also the circus that follows him. Chances are the new Jags owner wants Tebow to sell tickets. The Jags have last years first round pick at QB. It's instant QB controversy. Will the new Jags coach and GM really want this?

That would be my second thought, but I don't see it happening precisely because of what you mentioned.
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
I think they should run him out of the running back position and let him throw it 6 times a game. That might even help Manning stay healthier by giving defenses a different look.

Don't forget how many rushing TDs he had at Florida (57!!). He ran over people. If he can block, and I don't see why he couldn't he's big and solid rock, he can still be a part of that offense. I've said it before- look at his forehead. He's a real football player. He just happened to play QB.
Last edited by AntzDad
quote:
Originally posted by AntzDad:
quote:
I think they should run him out of the running back position and let him throw it 6 times a game. That might even help Manning stay healthier by giving defenses a different look.

Don't forget how many rushing TDs he had at Florida (57!!). He ran over people. If he can block, and I don't see why he couldn't he's big and solid rock, he can still be a part of that offense. I've said it before- look at his forehead. He's a real football player. He just happened to play QB.

NFL defenses have guys like Mario Williams, who has something like a 8% body fat composition. College football doesn't have that. And, when you send Mario Williams after Tebow, you know that he's going to get there more often than not.
quote:
Originally posted by AntzDad:
quote:

There's a big difference from rolling out and scrambling as a quarterback and hitting the hole as a running back. There's also a big difference in the size, speed and strength of NFL defenders and the players he ran over in college.

I also doubt Tebow wants to change positions. A friend suggested today he sign with the CFL where the game is more wide open. Then if he can win a couple of championships there, an NFL team desperate for a QB might take a shot.
Elway couldn't stand Tebow and his high school offense so it's no surprise he'll be sent packing. I know if I were a Broncos fan, Tebow would drive me nuts to watch.

A Giants-Broncos Super Bowl would be a great matchup between one of the greatest regular season QBs of all time vs one of the greatest post-season QBs of all-time.
Last edited by zombywoof
quote:
He has Bill Belichick written all over him.
I don't believe there's a place for Tebow on the Patriots roster. The Patriots made an offer to Brian Hoyer that will cost any team signing him a first round pick. The Patriots believe Hoyer is ready to be an NFL starter. There's just this guy named Brady in front of him. Then the Patriots also drafted Ryan Mallett last year and paid him a bunch of money.

If Tebow was willing to change positions (which I doubt) the Patriots don't roster a fullback. They used tight ends or linemen at fullback. They just signed a third tight end. Aaron Hernandez will play more slot in four wide receiver sets. Then there's the primary slot receiver Wes Welker. The Patriots also just signed three wide receivers.

John Clayton of ESPN listed New England as a possible location for Tebow. But how often has ESPN been right?
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Nativefan,

Shouldn't we wait to see the results before naming Elway executive of the year? What if this $95 million deal doesn't work out so well? What if Denver doesn't make the playoffs next year?

PGStaff...the jury is indeed still out on the long term value of the deal. Short term, it certainly appears Denver does not want Tebow as their QB. With all the hoopla around Tebow the only way to mitigate fan mutiny was to "upgrade", at least on paper. I agree with you that Tebow has value, in denver or elsewhere, as something other than a QB. Can he develop? That is the multi-million dollar question!
John Elway is a lot smarter and more savvy than I previously gave him credit for. The risk to bring in Peyton Manning is a lot less than continuing down the Tebow path to future development, hopeful productivity gains, and Super Bowl challenger. Manning makes the Broncos a Super Bowl contender NOW and not a pretender with Tebow. That is Elways job. Well done.
to throw the comment out of the broncos o-line not being very good is a false statement and no i have no stats to back that up, becuase stats would say otherwise. The only thing i have is All World tackle Ryan Clady who gave up a total of 2 sacks in his first couple years and had like 1 holding call, for somereason couldnt even stop guys from sacking tebow. But guys like manning don't get sacked becuase they know 70% of the time where they are going with the ball. the o-line will do great becuase they will finally have someone back there who won't try to scramble for 10 minutes until "he thinks" a reciever is open.
quote:
Originally posted by SultanofSwat:
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
John Elway is a lot smarter and more savvy than I previously gave him credit for.

hmmm... if the Broncos don't win 8 games next year, or don't go to the playoffs, they will run him out of town. Manning may or may not be able to recover from his neck injury. This may be the biggest gamble in NFL history.
The Broncos have a very difficult schedule this coming year. The team also still has a lot of holes. Tebow wasn't playing defense when the Patriots lit them up for 45 points. Tebow can only be blamed for not keeping the offense on the field more.

Next year the Broncos play the Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Bucanneers, Patriots and Texans in addition to their conference. Manning should almost guarantee winning a weak conference. Playoff games mean more revenue. It's a business.
quote:
to throw the comment out of the broncos o-line not being very good is a false statement and no i have no stats to back that up, becuase stats would say otherwise.
Tebow held on to the ball too long. Most NFL QB's get sacked about 1 in 20 attempts. Tebow was sacked 1 in 7 attempts. That's not the line. That's lack of pocket presence.
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
John Elway is a lot smarter and more savvy than I previously gave him credit for. The risk to bring in Peyton Manning is a lot less than continuing down the Tebow path to future development, hopeful productivity gains, and Super Bowl challenger. Manning makes the Broncos a Super Bowl contender NOW and not a pretender with Tebow. That is Elways job. Well done.

Long time Denver fan here.

Sure, on paper, Peyton makes the Broncos a SB contender now, but the game ain't played on paper. Short term this will be a great move if Manning stays healthy. If he doesn't, the fans will be on a witch hunt.

I do like Tebow. Sure, his stats sucked and yes, he had a tendency to hang on to the ball too long at times, but he became the leader on the offense. Before anyone gets hung up on stats, the only stat the really counts is the one on the scoreboard - ask Dan Marino if he would trade any of his stats for a SB ring.

And don't forget, Elway didn't exactly set the world on fire when he first went to Denver in 1982. It took 3-4 years before he began to lead Denver to the playoffs. Yet everyone expects Tebow to lead them to the SB now? I was pleasantly surprised with the results last season. That 6 game win streak was totally unexpected.

Yes, Tebow is unorthodox but I think there's something there worth keeping him. Maybe it's just me.
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
I hear rumors out of BOSTON that the PATSare interested
Did you hear that rumor from ESPN? They have a reputation of not verifying rumors and coming up wrong. A once read an article where an agent said the easiest way to jaack up competition over a player is spread a rumor to ESPN.

The only thing I've seen is two articles using Tebow having dinner with Belichick before the draft three years ago as conjecture. Then they stated it was unlikely the Pats would pursue him. Headlines sell stories. The truth gets buried in the article.

Who would the Patriots cut, Hoyer who they believe is ready to start or Mallett who they signed to a big contract last year?
quote:
Before anyone gets hung up on stats, the only stat the really counts is the one on the scoreboard
Last year was the perfect storm of a weak division, a weak schedule when Tebow took over, a couple of decent teams coming up with key injuries before Broncos games and NFL teams not understanding how to stop a college offense. Once it was figure out Tebow QB'ed them to 1-4 including a whomping at the hands of the Patriots. The Patriots game showed how far away from contending the Broncos were with Tebow.

quote:
Elway didn't exactly set the world on fire when he first went to Denver in 1982.
The game has changed. Most college QB's play in pro offenses in college now. The NFL pass defense rules make it so a decent QB can start right out of college and beat pass defenses.
quote:
Originally posted by right arm of zeus:
to throw the comment out of the broncos o-line not being very good is a false statement and no i have no stats to back that up, becuase stats would say otherwise. The only thing i have is All World tackle Ryan Clady who gave up a total of 2 sacks in his first couple years and had like 1 holding call, for somereason couldnt even stop guys from sacking tebow. But guys like manning don't get sacked becuase they know 70% of the time where they are going with the ball. the o-line will do great becuase they will finally have someone back there who won't try to scramble for 10 minutes until "he thinks" a reciever is open.

I don't know if I can agree with this enough. Like RJM said too - if the QB doesn't have much of a pocket presence then it makes it tough when it comes to blocking.

Let's say this is a best case scenario and Manning is super healthy this coming season. He's still a temporary solution because he doesn't have too many years left. This is probably his last contract he will sign so the Broncos are getting a slight gap in needing a quarterback but I don't think they will keep Tebow for this. Since he's not traditional this is a way to get rid of him and take a QB for the future either in this draft or next year's depending on who's available. Groom this guy for when Manning hangs it up.
quote:
Originally posted by FoxDad:
Sure, his stats sucked and yes, he had a tendency to hang on to the ball too long at times, but he became the leader on the offense. Before anyone gets hung up on stats, the only stat the really counts is the one on the scoreboard - ask Dan Marino if he would trade any of his stats for a SB ring.

And don't forget, Elway didn't exactly set the world on fire when he first went to Denver in 1982. It took 3-4 years before he began to lead Denver to the playoffs.

It isn't 1982. This is an NFL that is passing-oriented. Tebow cannot perform in this league as a QB. When rookies are setting the world on fire, and Stafford has a 5000-yard season...

People say he can play at other positions. They are wrong. What would validate giving up a roster spot for this guy?
quote:
SultanofSwat said......hmmm... if the Broncos don't win 8 games next year, or don't go to the playoffs, they will run him out of town. Manning may or may not be able to recover from his neck injury. This may be the biggest gamble in NFL history.

quote:
FoxDad said.....Long time Denver fan here.

Sure, on paper, Peyton makes the Broncos a SB contender now, but the game ain't played on paper. Short term this will be a great move if Manning stays healthy. If he doesn't, the fans will be on a witch hunt.

Guys this is exactly why I'm saying Elway is a lot smarter and savvier than preveiously thought. He isn't listening to the fans to make decisions about the future of the organization. Someone has to be the adult. Elway clearly recognized that Tebow did not have the ability to run or sustain a pro offense any time soon. Elway would know these things. Tebow is a nice guy, but he just doesn't have it in him to do this. Fans are fickle, and it would have been a matter of time before Elway would have been run out for sticking with Tebow had Manning not have been available. It really is a no-brainer. Bottom line.....Manning @ 90% is a lot less risky than Tebow @ 100%. I'm going to go out on a limb here to say Manning will go to HOF. He has the credentials. It really is a no brainer for Elway. He has a tough job, and it isn't a popularity contest. Someone has to make the tough decisions. I tip my cap to Elway.
quote:
This is an NFL that is passing-oriented. Tebow cannot perform in this league as a QB. When rookies are setting the world on fire, and Stafford has a 5000-yard season...

How many playoff games did Stafford win last year?

Also, over the last FIVE years, Peyton Manning has only one more playoff win than Tebow. One.

Personally, I think both QBs are projects that deserve another chance.
Last edited by SultanofSwat

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.