Skip to main content

@Ripken Fan posted:

It will be interesting to see what some of the guys (mainly college I'm thinking about) who thought they'd be one of the five rounds but weren't. Maybe just fell short. Do you roll the dice and say I'm going back to school to improve my standing next year? He may not have a good year, injury, coaching change whatever. No one knows how many rounds there will be next year- 5 again? I have a hunch it will be 10. Going back also means the player is another year older for next year's draft, which comes into play with organizations. Sort of a "bird in the hand"  situation. ...

Drafts too are different in depth from year to year. Last year's draft was the "year of the SS." Not the case this year where the Nick Gonzales and Vandy's Martin may be more apt to play another position (Gonzales 2B), and the top HS shortstop may fall to around #23.

I don’t think any draft eligible college guy can improve their standing very much. 

At some point these guys have to realize that age is the best leverage and when you go back to school it better be for the degree because you won’t get more money. 

@PABaseball posted:

That kid is better off leaving his education behind because he clearly isn't too smart to begin with. Pass on slot money to sign for 20k or less for the autonomy of choosing his pro club? C'mon.  

Maybe it is a money doesn't matter situation (rich parents who will pay for college)? Or the kid is just not college material intellectually (but even then taking more money would make sense knowing the failure rate in pro ball).

@Ripken Fan posted:

It will be interesting to see what some of the guys (mainly college I'm thinking about) who thought they'd be one of the five rounds but weren't. Maybe just fell short. Do you roll the dice and say I'm going back to school to improve my standing next year? He may not have a good year, injury, coaching change whatever. No one knows how many rounds there will be next year- 5 again? I have a hunch it will be 10. Going back also means the player is another year older for next year's draft, which comes into play with organizations. Sort of a "bird in the hand"  situation. ...

Drafts too are different in depth from year to year. Last year's draft was the "year of the SS." Not the case this year where the Nick Gonzales and Vandy's Martin may be more apt to play another position (Gonzales 2B), and the top HS shortstop may fall to around #23.

I think the SS thing is because this years draft is so focused on college talent and not a ton of HS talent compared to last year.

There are almost no college shortstops in the majors as a SS (dansby swanson being an exception) and most college shortstops have to shift to second and third in pro ball.

This is a rather common thing for college players, college third basemen rarely make the majors either.

I think there is a few reasons for this, first the very top athletes who can hit tend to get drafted out of HS and also college coaches maybe try to stretch bats into tougher positions while mlb has enough bats to put a guy who can field there.

So, this is the reality of MiLB cuts as I read this morning Sports section.   Talented, local kid loses his shot at an MLB roster spot.  This is very discouraging as he did all the right things, but just had terrible timing with a once in a century pandemic. 

He's got a Princeton degree to lean on, and it sounds like grad school is a possibility.  It would have been great to see him get that MLB shot.

https://www.richmond.com/sport...18-a9bea2207180.html

Last edited by fenwaysouth
@fenwaysouth posted:

So, this is the reality of MiLB cuts as I read this morning Sports section.   Talented, local kid loses his shot at an MLB roster spot.  This is very discouraging as he did all the right things, but just had terrible timing with a once in a century pandemic. 

He's got a Princeton degree to lean on, and it sounds like grad school is a possibility.  It would have been great to see him get that MLB shot.

https://www.richmond.com/sport...18-a9bea2207180.html

Wow, those stats are pretty good. Here's one for the pitcher's side. I was surprised that the St. Louis Cardinals cut this: RHP – 26th round (2018). 6-0, 1.14 in 26 games (six starts), for 63 1/3 innings. The Cards also released some players who were drafted just last year including a former college teammate of my son.

Last edited by Ripken Fan
@Ripken Fan posted:

Wow, those stats are pretty good. Here's one for the pitcher's side. I was surprised that the St. Louis Cardinals cut this: RHP – 26th round (2018). 6-0, 1.14 in 26 games (six starts), for 63 1/3 innings. The Cards also released some players who were drafted just last year including a former college teammate of my son.

I see things a bit differently, probably because of my own son being released by his drafting team. There is nothing fair about it, perhaps you could call it cruel.

The minor leagues are loaded with talent, but unfortunetly, not all players  have true ML talent.

The system is shrinking, less teams, less drafted. 

The Cardinals do a great job of drafting good talent.  However, now comes the huge downsizing, also due to the 400 a week stipend as promised.

And the draft.

I Think with the 50 man rosters proposed this year apart from the minor league roster fillers also the 4A type of players who are injury call ups could suffer.

Those guys are used so you can call up a player who doesn't embarrass himself in case of injury so that you dont have to burn service time and options of real prospects. Those are good players of course but usually they are worse than the best AA and AAA prospects, however the service time and options is more valuable to clubs than that marginal performance difference.

If there is a 50 man roster you can call up the real prospects without damage to service time, needing to clear 40 man spots and so on and thus teams might have less need for that 27 year old 4A type of player when you also can bring up your 22 yo AAA prospect who might not be fully ready but still better than some 4A options.

Had to look SARMS up. Do high school kids use that stuff too? Does it come up in MLB testing?

Kind of related story, a good friend of mine was coming up in the Expos org during the roid era. He advanced pretty quickly through rookie and A ball. Then at his next stop they told him to see the “trainer” who explained he was viewed as an MLB prospect but would need to bulk up to make it. The guy pulled out a roid kit and started telling my friend about the dosage like it was nothing. My friend told the trainer he didn’t need the juice and he would work on his own to make it. He was cut the next day. 

So because this is some little corner of the web, and really no one is watching. It's interesting to see kids being taken that you know have taken shortcuts to get there. Both this year and last year. I have to wonder how many more so are doing the same, and the pressure it puts on others to do so.

What the heck are you talking about?   I mean seriously.

Last edited by TPM

So because this is some little corner of the web, and really no one is watching. It's interesting to see kids being taken that you know have taken shortcuts to get there. Both this year and last year. I have to wonder how many more so are doing the same, and the pressure it puts on others to do so.

Dude, that’s a bullshit comment. You don’t know what any kid has or hasn’t done. Including your own. Shut the f$ck up. 

@adbono posted:

Dude, that’s a bullshit comment. You don’t know what any kid has or hasn’t done. Including your own. Shut the f$ck up. 

Edited

You are right, I don't know everyone that might be doing it. But the kid has played college ball for three years now so I know a thing or two.

Dallas huh, how ironic, my daughter lives there. My wife is going out the 19th. I can't make it then but I'll be there come Thanksgiving. I'd love nothing more than the opportunity to talk to you face to face. You game? 

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad

Had to look SARMS up. Do high school kids use that stuff too? Does it come up in MLB testing?

Kind of related story, a good friend of mine was coming up in the Expos org during the roid era. He advanced pretty quickly through rookie and A ball. Then at his next stop they told him to see the “trainer” who explained he was viewed as an MLB prospect but would need to bulk up to make it. The guy pulled out a roid kit and started telling my friend about the dosage like it was nothing. My friend told the trainer he didn’t need the juice and he would work on his own to make it. He was cut the next day. 

Awful. 

@TPM posted:

No, it's not sarcasm, I just asked you what you were talking about this being a little corner of the web and no one watching. You would be surprised. 

Jealous much?  

Jealous, of what? Isn't this thread about how screwed up things are right now. Hell if we would have agreed he would have been drafted three years ago, granted a 35-40 round pick and if he hadn't washed out by now he'd be one of the players getting cut. So I'm not sure what you're point is, except like the other poster to try to belittle me. 

Jealous, of what? Isn't this thread about how screwed up things are right now. Hell if we would have agreed he would have been drafted three years ago, granted a 35-40 round pick and if he hadn't washed out by now he'd be one of the players getting cut. So I'm not sure what you're point is, except like the other poster to try to belittle me. 

I don’t think your intent is jealousy. 

The cardinals drafted a HS kid in the first round after he got busted for PEDs before the draft in 2016. Didn't seem to help him, he is still in A ball at age 21 now and has a career Batting average of .252, career ops of 640 with a total of two career home runs  in almost 1000 plate appearances. If he wasn't a first rounder he probably would be out of pro ball already.

Edited

You are right, I don't know everyone that might be doing it. But the kid has played college ball for three years now so I know a thing or two.

Dallas huh, how ironic, my daughter lives there. My wife is going out the 19th. I can't make it then but I'll be there come Thanksgiving. I'd love nothing more than the opportunity to talk to you face to face. You game? 

I don’t like it that you are disparaging kids that got drafted. I think it’s bad form and I said so. That’s my opinion and you can think about it whatever you want. 

I also don't think a lot o of amateur players use that stuff. I do think quite a few minor leaguers use it. I mean if you are a 23 year old in high A there is no cost of doing it other than potential health risks as whether you get a 60 game ban and get released or you get released half a season later due to performance doesn't matter. At this point you basically get a free shot, either you get better or you don't or you get caught.

Last edited by Dominik85

I think more players are smoking weed now than anything. The cuts sucked, son said 5 from his draft class were released by Mets. The stories he tells about listening to the older guys coming up through his MiLB journey vary but most are helpful and willing to offer advice as opposed to the dog eat dog perspective. I hope baseball comes back....Geeesh.

Somebaseballdad...

HSBBWEB manners, please. Accusing anyone of using or stating that folks here "know" players' "taking shortcuts"...this site is not the place to smear, degrade, create rumors. MLB will solve any problems in due time. 

Do a search for Matt Bush. His story & others  (suspended players) have been discussed...AFTER the fact...

@baseballmom posted:

Somebaseballdad...

HSBBWEB manners, please. Accusing anyone of using or stating that folks here "know" players' "taking shortcuts"...this site is not the place to smear, degrade, create rumors. MLB will solve any problems in due time. 

Do a search for Matt Bush. His story & others  (suspended players) have been discussed...AFTER the fact...

That's fine. It's just been bothering me for a while and I vented. I don't know for a fact that anyone drafted is partaking, but given what the kid tells me he sees talked about on snapchat and what he's seen in person it doesn't take a genius to know some have. When these kids see others doing it and having success it creates a huge temptation to follow suit. When you hear these old MLB players say they had to do roids to keep up, well now I understand.... 

That's fine. It's just been bothering me for a while and I vented. I don't know for a fact that anyone drafted is partaking, but given what the kid tells me he sees talked about on snapchat and what he's seen in person it doesn't take a genius to know some have. When these kids see others doing it and having success it creates a huge temptation to follow suit. When you hear these old MLB players say they had to do roids to keep up, well now I understand.... 

No, you don't understand.  You are hearing what your kid tells you about other players from tic tok? Good reliable source. How ridiculous is that. Kids brag, and people, like yourself start rumors because they "heard" stuff. 

Does this stuff happen?  Sure. You are talking old news. You would not believe a lot of stuff that son has seen, or Baseballmom's son has seen in pro ball,  but never ever has anyone come here, especially at draft time and tried to make players look bad, even to suggest. 

All if most of these guys drafted were more than likely tested by MLB a while back, and will be again before they sign a contract. 

The only one your kid needs to worry about is himself. And the only kid you need to worry about is your kid. Not someone else's. So yes, it sounds to me, after I have heard numerous times your son could have been drafted in the 35-40 round out of HS, that you have a problem. 

@TPM posted:

No, you don't understand.  You are hearing what your kid tells you about other players from tic tok? Good reliable source. How ridiculous is that. Kids brag, and people, like yourself start rumors because they "heard" stuff. 

Does this stuff happen?  Sure. You are talking old news. You would not believe a lot of stuff that son has seen, or Baseballmom's son has seen in pro ball,  but never ever has anyone come here, especially at draft time and tried to make players look bad, even to suggest. 

All if most of these guys drafted were more than likely tested by MLB a while back, and will be again before they sign a contract. 

The only one your kid needs to worry about is himself. And the only kid you need to worry about is your kid. Not someone else's. So yes, it sounds to me, after I have heard numerous times your son could have been drafted in the 35-40 round out of HS, that you have a problem. 

Yeah because getting drafted in the 40 round is something to brag about. But that's the offer he got coming out of HS.

That is beside the point. You know, I couldn't tell you 95% of what you post here. Why, because I decided long ago reading almost anything you have to say was a waste of my time. And what I did read, no matter how much I disagreed with it, I didn't bother to post trying to shame you and belittle you for it, because there's really something wrong about that. 

So you can have the last word, and here's a little help, because god knows you need it. I'm a little overweight and balding in my old age, maybe you can include some digs about that in your next witty post. 

Yeah because getting drafted in the 40 round is something to brag about. But that's the offer he got coming out of HS.

That is beside the point. You know, I couldn't tell you 95% of what you post here. Why, because I decided long ago reading almost anything you have to say was a waste of my time. And what I did read, no matter how much I disagreed with it, I didn't bother to post trying to shame you and belittle you for it, because there's really something wrong about that. 

So you can have the last word, and here's a little help, because god knows you need it. I'm a little overweight and balding in my old age, maybe you can include some digs about that in your next witty post. 

And yet... You went for the last word.

My kid SAW lots of stuff firsthand for 9 years...I'm proud to say his dad & I taught him "Do not let anyone or anything steal your dreams!" And, he respected himself AND his career to not jeopardize either.  Simple intelligence & knowing the opportunity was a gift. Discernment in  "friends" & co-workers... 

HSBBWEB ain't the "I Heard Club" Just leave the rumor mongering...period!

@Shoveit4Ks posted:

I think more players are smoking weed now than anything. The cuts sucked, son said 5 from his draft class were released by Mets. The stories he tells about listening to the older guys coming up through his MiLB journey vary but most are helpful and willing to offer advice as opposed to the dog eat dog perspective. I hope baseball comes back....Geeesh.

I don't know if it varies by team, but when the family went on our Western swing between Christmas and New Year (AZ/UT/NM/CO), son had to give his organization an itinerary with zip codes as to where he was, in the event he was called for a random test. I was holding my breath as some of our locations were remote. 

A friend of his with another team was in Massachusetts when he got the call for a random test. He didn't notify team of his temporary location change. He has to return to the "designated location" where he lived. Had he not gone back to NY (probably to a QUEST) it would have been recorded as a failed test.

@baseballmom posted:

My kid SAW lots of stuff firsthand for 9 years...I'm proud to say his dad & I taught him "Do not let anyone or anything steal your dreams!" And, he respected himself AND his career to not jeopardize either.  Simple intelligence & knowing the opportunity was a gift. Discernment in  "friends" & co-workers... 

HSBBWEB ain't the "I Heard Club" Just leave the rumor mongering...period!

But isn't it here to inform also? It's out there, it's being done, but your response is to stick one's head in the sand?

The thing now isn't roids, its SARMS. Look it up and enlighten your kid.

A friend of his with another team was in Massachusetts when he got the call for a random test. He didn't notify team of his temporary location change. He has to return to the "designated location" where he lived. Had he not gone back to NY (probably to a QUEST) it would have been recorded as a failed test.

My son and I talked about this today because of this post. He said at his last college they tested them often. He also said he talked about such with the kids at his new college and they couldn't remember the last time they had been tested. He also said some of the players at his last stop, they showed up at the host family's home to administer the test. It seems like they really concentrated on kids who were doing well. I asked him how often he had been tested off-campus. Sadly, his reply was like "why the hell would they want to test me".

But isn't it here to inform also? It's out there, it's being done, but your response is to stick one's head in the sand?

The thing now isn't roids, its SARMS. Look it up and enlighten your kid.

You know you should make it a habit to look up people's info on their profile page.

Baseballmom's "kid" is 32 years old and has sat in the dugout with Manny Rivera and Derek Jeter.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.