Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@PTWood posted:

Congratulations on your son's strong summer. IMHO I don't think rankings of any kind are a good way to lead with college coaches. It's much better to lead with his abilities and quantifiable improvements (how did he get better, bigger, faster, stronger this spring/summer?). 

I am in agreement with PTWood.  I don't think that this matters much to coaches, no matter which division.  

It’s a list.

Scouts use lists. One list to check against another list. That’s checked against some other list. That’s then parsed by something, broken down into pieces, Joined with other data,  then put back into another list. Then the scout goes and watches those on the list. Some get crossed off the list, others moved to another list. Phone calls are made. The scout writes a report off of the players on one of the lists. The report gets submitted with other reports and a new list is formed. More phone calls are made. A guy flies in and finds the scout. “Let me see your list” he’ll say. Then he’ll compare it against his own list. Or another scout with a different colored shirt might say  “Where is he on your list?” And the scout would lie and say “He’s not on my list.” The scout with a different color shirt might smile and lie back and say “I didn’t have him on my list either.”  Or sometimes tell the truth and smile the same way “He’s on my list.”

One day, the scout will have to take his list and sit with other scouts with the same color shirt on. He will have to defend his list while other scouts defend their list. Usually a wise scout listens to all the scouts, and makes a new list. The wise scout must now take his list and travel to Jupiter for a week.

Because when a young player Inna different color shirt hits three home runs and and the scouts phone rings, he can’t say “He wasn’t on my list, Mr. GM.” Because if he does, he will no longer be involved with lists. 

2024 son did his first ever showcase in the spring. We had a good idea that he would put up some good numbers and PG gave him a good grade. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when PG updated their 2024 rankings. He was ranked by PG near the back end of the top 100. Within a week a few power 5 coaches have reached out to his HS coach and he has had a couple of calls. As much as I have mixed feelings on showcases and don't have any intentions of paying for another one, in this instance I firmly believe the top 100 PG rank and the metrics PG provides were instrumental in putting my son of these schools radar. 

@bruins11 posted:

2024 son did his first ever showcase in the spring. We had a good idea that he would put up some good numbers and PG gave him a good grade. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when PG updated their 2024 rankings. He was ranked by PG near the back end of the top 100. Within a week a few power 5 coaches have reached out to his HS coach and he has had a couple of calls. As much as I have mixed feelings on showcases and don't have any intentions of paying for another one, in this instance I firmly believe the top 100 PG rank and the metrics PG provides were instrumental in putting my son of these schools radar. 

That’s awesome for you and your son. That means you are in the % of people that benefit from the PG showcase model. Your player showed good ability, your expenses generated results, and the experience is worth every penny. That’s exactly what you hope for. But you are in the minority. Doesn’t work like this for most people. 

Congratulations @bruins11son. Super exciting times and good luck with your search. I would still say that I would not lead a communication with a college coach with a ranking. According to PG, Aaron Judge was ranked 147 coming out of HS. At one point there was literally a 200 person difference between PTWoodson's ranking with PBR and PG. Rankings are great but what you do on (and off) the field and what you do for your team is what is going to get you offers and ultimately playing time beyond high school.  

Thanks adbono and PTWood. He is excited and to be honest a little overwhelmed. This board and the great feedback from members like you guys has been extremely helpful in giving us an idea of what the recruiting process is all about and what to expect. Totally agree that one should never mention ranking when talking to a college coach. Even with all the flaws and issues with the rankings, I just wanted to highlight our experience to date and that the PG machine can be used to ones advantage in certain instances. Like you said, it all comes down to performing on the field and ultimately adding value and helping your team win.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.