Skip to main content

ESPN is reporting an article from the SF Chronicle, that Paul Byrd was heavily into HGH in the early 2000's, when he resurrected his career.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/news/story?id=3072845

I hate to hear this, because everything I hear about him is that Byrd is a quality guy...but it illustrates the pressure players face to get to the Show and stay there. Byrd, of course, has never been a blow the hitters away pitcher. I almost shudder that the thought of the names that could come out next, especially in the Mitchell report.
********************************************** Baseball players don't make excuses...they make adjustments.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What a coinkydink that the story breaks the day before he's supposed to start game 7 of the ALCS.

I've never been into conspiricy theory, but it doesn't take a conspiricy to leak something from on up high in a manner timely enough to upset the mentality of a player who will likely play the greatest role in whether his team succeeds or fails. I think the proper term would be manipulation.

Imagine the stain on the heirarchy if it comes out later that Wakefield took something, and it didn't get leaked. What a time bomb.

Whose fingerprints do you think are all over this one?
Last edited by CPLZ
Why is it that it seems like the only newspaper in the country that breaks all the stories regarding steroids is the San Francisco Chronicle?

If it's conspiracy theories you want, lets look into who owns the SF Chronicle. What business are they in that they get all this information "leaked" to their paper? What agendas do they have both politically or morally?

Back to Byrd. His book might be a very interesting read.
Here is a different story on FoxSports.com
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7358706?MSNHPHMA
quote:
In an exclusive interview with FOXSports.com, Byrd did not dispute a San Francisco Chronicle report stating that he received nearly $25,000 worth of HGH and syringes from a Florida anti-aging clinic that was targeted by law enforcement for illegally distributing performance-enhancing drugs.

Byrd said that three different doctors diagnosed him as suffering from adult growth-hormone deficiency. In spring training, he said, he was diagnosed with a tumor on his pituitary gland at the base of his brain, a condition that may have contributed to his deficiency, doctors told him.

Please read the rest of the article...perhaps this is a case of everything not being what it appears at face value.
quote:
Originally posted by CCKnights:
Why is it that it seems like the only newspaper in the country that breaks all the stories regarding steroids is the San Francisco Chronicle?

If it's conspiracy theories you want, lets look into who owns the SF Chronicle. What business are they in that they get all this information "leaked" to their paper? What agendas do they have both politically or morally?

Back to Byrd. His book might be a very interesting read.

how about:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21405615/

oh, he says he doesn't take it now....ah, Pit tumors just don't disappear, unless gamma knifed or surgically removed....he's lying.
quote:
Originally posted by JT:
ESPN is reporting an article from the SF Chronicle, that Paul Byrd was heavily into HGH in the early 2000's, when he resurrected his career.

I hate to hear this, because everything I hear about him is that Byrd is a quality guy...but it illustrates the pressure players face to get to the Show and stay there. Byrd, of course, has never been a blow the hitters away pitcher. I almost shudder that the thought of the names that could come out next, especially in the Mitchell report.

This Mitchell report could very well blow the lid off. MLB is tarnished just like the 1919 Black Sox cheating scandal. And the Bonds bashers are to be condemned as their own fav teams will be found guilty too.
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
Curious how a drug company giving illicit drugs to a sports star breached doc patient confidencialty

Hey, I don't know. Are you saying that the drug is not prescribable? I thought that there was a requirement to protect the confidentiality of those getting prescriptions. It seems that I now have to stand away from the person being serviced at the counter when I am queued at the pharmacy.
JT ...
quote:
Please read the rest of the article...perhaps this is a case of everything not being what it appears at face value.

Excellant point ... I did read the rest of the article and a lot of it makes sense to me. And I think it admirable that Byrd acknowledges his usage and addresses the issue directly instead of ignoring it or saying he didn't take anything. I believe him when he says that his usage was not for performance enhancement ... he clearly acknowledges the temptation to try it for that purpose and then states that he resisted the temptation ... I happen to believe him (FWIW)
Last edited by FutureBack.Mom
Prescribed by his Doctor. He ordered the HGH with his credit card and had them shipped in his name to the teams clubhouse. Does this sound like a guy that was trying to hide something? I thought in this country you were innocent untill proven guilty? Can we please wait untill the whole story comes out and all the facts are known before we convict him in the court of public opinion? Come on folks. Are we going to have nothing but a bunch of witch hunts going on? Ridiculous stuff all the way around imo!
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
Why are we all even involved in this crapola ??

Who cares !!

I CARE!!!

As the parent of a college player, it scares me to think of the college players who have heard about how the stuff DOES WORK, and would be willing to sacrifice their health, and eligibility, if caught by the NCAA, to use the steroids and HGH. Several years ago, the NCAA was considering adding baseball to the year-round random testing program, along with track and football, which are already tested. Of course, COST was the reason they did not. Perhaps it is time the NCAA revisits it.
quote:
Originally posted by lafmom:
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
Why are we all even involved in this crapola ??

Who cares !!

As fans of baseball and parents/friends of baseball players, I think the majority here care.

I will add to my original post:

Why are we even involved? The drug testing scared the majority of pro players to get off the juice. I don't really care about who HISTORICALLY took this stuff and they are now getting busted. Thats yesterdays news. They will * the entire era, or at least it will be tainted in everyones minds.

The drug screening trickles down to all levels.

What message did all this send to the kids? Just ask your own.

JUST SAY NO

That sound familiar??
Last edited by OLDSLUGGER8
quote:
Originally posted by Coach May:
Let all the "facts" come out first is all I am saying. Passing judgement before the "facts" are really known is unfair imo.

The facts are that there were plenty who are using and I am sure there are plenty that still are. Are we so naive to beleive there were just a few? Did it really scare anyone?

I care! I am with njbb, I want my son to be able to have a fair chance to compete for his job. OS8 and others will understand some day the pressure that is placed upon them.

Until the player's union allows for testing for HGH (though blood tests only) we will never know.
Last edited by TPM
As MLB (and MiLB, for that matter) are coming down like a ton of feathers on this, I've got no problem with the media outing suspects.

'Just say no' isn't all that easy. You all know how strong the dream can be with your boys. We talk about 'exposure' here --- well, hitting the ball further and throwing the ball harder get you noticed. Being bigger gets you noticed. If nature hasn't provided these edges, there is 'better living through chemistry'.

With all the money parents are spending on equipment, camps, and travel teams, do you think there aren't any spending on HGH?

The first time my son was offered steroids, he was a freshman in hs. There has yet to be a level where he hasn't known of multiple players on PED's. And all along the way, testing has been minimal to nonexistent.

Just like nj, I want a level playing field for my son. Just like every other real fan of the game, I want a true contest.

And what I'd really like to see is a purge. You get caught, you're out. Fifty games, then on to instrux to make up for the lost time simply says 'we gotta do this kid, but hey --- we admire your commitment'.
Last edited by Orlando
quote:
As MLB (and MiLB, for that matter) are coming down like a ton of feathers on this, I've got no problem with the media outing suspects.

I agree. I do believe the information is being nefariously leaked if you will to do the most possible harm to the sport. That said, here is some advice for Byrd. Open your medical records to the public if you have nothing to hide. Apparently, 25,000 will buy you 1,000 doses. 1000 doses over three years is exactly one dose per day. I don't know if we have any physicians as members but is anyone aware of treating pituitary issues in this manner? Why weren't the Indians informed of his pituitary problem before signing him as a free agent for multiple millions? Also interesting how Byrd's last purchase coincided with baseball's ban on the substance in 2005. Why stop taking it if there are legitimate health issues? I was not born yesterday and don't believe Byrd's story.
I want to believe Byrd but there are also some disturbing issues to be put to rest such as the fact that the prescriptions came from questionable sources and that he didn't apply for an exemption. It wouldn't surprise me if players didn't even know the exemption existed but it does all need to be investigated.
quote:
Originally posted by CADad:
I want to believe Byrd but there are also some disturbing issues to be put to rest such as the fact that the prescriptions came from questionable sources and that he didn't apply for an exemption. It wouldn't surprise me if players didn't even know the exemption existed but it does all need to be investigated.

Supposedly the dentist prescribing twice later had his licence suspended. I wonder how he treated the expense on his taxes, medical or business? Wink
Observations beyond Byrd...

- HGH Test....Correct me if I am wrong...My understanding is that there is testing but NO reliable test for HGH...part of the problem. "You can't do it...but we can't enforce it" I am not so sure that MLB doesn't fully appreciate the absurdity of this position. Makes them look like they care, keeps it available to players. You can be certian that players understand this as well. Win/Win.

- Parental Concerns...Agree 100%. Like CD, saw it in high school. Some parents and coaches even knew. All our sons are under immense performance, and competitive pressure. Thank God most don't give in. The scary thing is that it would be very easy for them to begin to believe that it is not optional, but necessary.

- Will for Change...There is no will to take action. There is no upside to MLB...I think by now we all agree that there was/is a problem....Fans still buy tickets...why fix it? By the way...remember that report...a couple years ago...what was it..Mitchell?..what ever happened to that?

- Fans...Let's get real. Fans are, and will always simply a revenue source to use and abuse...stars are traded, popular players are cut, franchises moved under the cover of darkness, payrolls are slashed, colors and uniforms are changed to increase sales..it was never about the fans it was always about the fans money, and the fans themselves have proven that they will still buy tickets, and watch the tube, no matter what.

- Possible outing/big blowup...Turns out when the Chinese were not busy puting lead in toys and sawdust/poision in our pet food...they were shipping us huge amounts of the fixin's for steroids. Last month the DEA busted the connection, which apparently had extremely detailed records of who and when. The DEA keeps sending out public teasers each week like this, "well, geeze, if some one would ask we have lots of high profile names connected to this activity. But geeze no one has asked us yet..." As observed, no will on the part of pro sports franchises....yet. They push and the DEA gets thousands of dealers to sing...and it all breaks loose. Could be wrong but this bears watching.

Cool 44
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
quote:

I agree. I do believe the information is being nefariously leaked if you will to do the most possible harm to the sport. That said, here is some advice for Byrd. Open your medical records to the public if you have nothing to hide. Apparently, 25,000 will buy you 1,000 doses. 1000 doses over three years is exactly one dose per day. I don't know if we have any physicians as members but is anyone aware of treating pituitary issues in this manner? Why weren't the Indians informed of his pituitary problem before signing him as a free agent for multiple millions? Also interesting how Byrd's last purchase coincided with baseball's ban on the substance in 2005. Why stop taking it if there are legitimate health issues? I was not born yesterday and don't believe Byrd's story.

No, CD. The treatment isn't matching what he's claiming. Also, if it was truly a dentist that prescribed the medication, there's a problem. There's not a dentist in this country that would treat a pituitary tumor or diagnosis. Also, we all know that a professional ball organization know just about everytime their players use the bathroom... so why wouldn't they know? Also, they would never allow him to be treated for a disorder such as this by a dentist. Byrd seemed so sincere, but things are not adding up unfortunately. As CaDad says, an investigation is obviously warranted.

I suspect we'll continue to hear stories fairly regularly as various players stories leak out. Frown

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.