Skip to main content

The Orlando Scorpions organization is well represented.
(from PG list 1/30/2007)

John Gast #36 FSU
Evan Chambers #113 UF
Cody Allen #167 UCF
Brennan Dobbins #294 UCF
Tyler Benzel #630 LA Lafayette
Christopher Sale#800 FGCU
Tony Caldwell #818
Stuart Tapley #819 FSU
Doug Wagner #915
Ian MacGeorge #927
Justin Lafavers #1285 LS CC
Drew Dades #1462
Nick Cox #1551 Columbia
Daley Cox #1674
Paul Silliman #1702
Randall Thompson#1740
Andy Horton #1744 FGCU
Eddie Sipple #1759 FL Southern
Harry Honeycutt #1942 Rollins
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

All American Prospects:

John Tolisano #16 UF
Danny Rams #34 Arizona State
Joseph Hage #129 FIU
AJ Regoli #196 USF
Mark Peterson #199 FSU
Chris Hernandez #205 Miami
Yolandy Barroso #207 USF
Kevin Quackenbush #228 USF
Nicholas Navarro #405 Samford
Derek Sejnoha #563 Stetson
Anthony Boza #636 Miami Dade CC
Hector Varas #734 Broward CC
Alex Godshall #1081 Samford
Matt Baran #1480 Charleston
Robbie Scott #1494 Samford
Jonathan Koscso #1716 USF
Vinny Lally #1914 Yale
Central Florida Renegades:

Michael Main #4 FSU
Jeff Schaus #47 Clemson
Brandon Bonner #136 FGCU
Austin Chubb #594
Billy Falasco #638 Univ of Richmond
Zack Maggard #878 Florida Southern
Tye Buckley #882 The Citadel
Zack Pietrzyk #930 USF
Chris Roman #1001 Newberry
Nick DelGudice #1179 LSCC
Jeff Simpson #1298 Stetson
Ryan Vigue #1324 FSU
Juan Perez #1437
Nick Adams #1531 Mercer
The list has been updated yesterday. Lots of changes!

I do kind of wish people wouldn't copy and paste that copyrighted material, though. I know no one means any harm, but it's probably not very good for the pgcrosschecker.com business. Smile

Then again... Maybe it is! What do I know?

I actually have a bigger reason why I hate to see it posted for everyone to see. I think everyone will understand before long.
Last edited by PGStaff
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
The list has been updated yesterday. Lots of changes!

I do kind of wish people wouldn't copy and paste that copyrighted material, though. I know no one means any harm, but it's probably not very good for the pgcrosschecker.com business. Smile

Then again... Maybe it is! What do I know?

I actually have a bigger reason why I hate to see it posted for everyone to see. I think everyone will understand before long.

Its become like baseball america is/was, a ridiculous amount of money for the privledge of seeing your name with a ranking number. It should be given for free.
08catcher,

With all due respect, I doubt that many know how much work it is or how much it costs to produce. People who run that site… Writers, Tech guys, database people, etc. actually get a salary. So do all the people who compile the information. Even the scouts have to make a living. Besides there are all kinds of free things on that site. And everything’s free at the PG site! Wish we could do everything for free, that would be great, it’s just not possible at this time.
08 catcher -
...should be given for free..???

The folks who copy and paste ARE essentially giving you the info for free. You're unhappy because they are not giving you ALL the info for free.

Anyone who thinks the kind of information and the extent of the information that PG provides has no costs involved are simply dreaming. These may be the same folks who think that PG is making million$$$. From the outside, PG appears to me to be a very complex information business, with tremendous logistical costs, probably a pretty hefty payroll (it takes a lot of people to get and distribute all that information, keep it current, etc, etc). I can only imagine the costs in maintaining their website, which is continually updated and kept fresh. So....should PG do all that out of the goodness of their heart. Seems to me they are pretty "giving" as it is.

And now, it is STILL not enough.....people want ALL the information for free. Amazing!

I am surprised that PG does not do more to try to minimize the copying and paste-ing that currently goes on of their information. This happens even on their own website message board!
quote:
Originally posted by baseballguy:
08 catcher -
...should be given for free..???

The folks who copy and paste ARE essentially giving you the info for free. You're unhappy because they are not giving you ALL the info for free.

Anyone who thinks the kind of information and the extent of the information that PG provides has no costs involved are simply dreaming. These may be the same folks who think that PG is making million$$$. From the outside, PG appears to me to be a very complex information business, with tremendous logistical costs, probably a pretty hefty payroll (it takes a lot of people to get and distribute all that information, keep it current, etc, etc). I can only imagine the costs in maintaining their website, which is continually updated and kept fresh. So....should PG do all that out of the goodness of their heart. Seems to me they are pretty "giving" as it is.

And now, it is STILL not enough.....people want ALL the information for free. Amazing!

I am surprised that PG does not do more to try to minimize the copying and paste-ing that currently goes on of their information. This happens even on their own website message board!

Not unhappy, because i dont/wont get into the hype, just stating my opinion. I know it takes alot of money to run PG, but you cant tell me that without the website PG would go out of business. PG charges alot of money for a kid to go to a showcase and they rake in more than it costs them to run the showcase or else they wouldnt be doing it.

They are putting a number next to a kid and promoting these draft picks as the reason they got drafted was because they went to a PG showcase. They cant put that out for free? Give me a break. You want to charge for an in depth analysis on why a player is good or bad fine, but for the privledge to see a name with a number, not so much.
quote:
They are putting a number next to a kid and promoting these draft picks as the reason they got drafted was because they went to a PG showcase.

Please show examples that show anyone taking credit or saying the reason someone got drafted was because they went to a PG showcase. The only examples I can think of is when the player and the family have stated that. There's a big difference between saying someone attended an event and the event was the reason they got drafted. An event is simply an event... A players ability is what gets him drafted!

quote:
PG charges alot of money for a kid to go to a showcase and they rake in more than it costs them to run the showcase or else they wouldnt be doing it.

People have told me that is not good business to enter these discussions. However, I do it anyway, because I'm not interested in being a good businessman. I wish we didn't have to charge players anything, but I haven't been to a showcase since Christmas break. then before that a tournament in October! We did bring in a lot of money at those two events, but it costs around $12,000 each and every day of the year for us to break even (stay in business). Think about that for awhile!!!! We have no way to do an event today, but it will cost us $12,000. The past week cost $84,000. It kind of puts a little perspective to things, when you're responsible for paying the bills.

No sympathy needed or asked for, just wish people understood a bit better. 08catcher, I don't really expect to change anyone's mind. You are welcome to your opinion. Maybe you'll change your mind at some point. If not, that's Ok, if I were in your shoes I might feel the same way.
08 catcher -
Sorry. Running a business, meeting payrolls, paying the bills, maintaining top quality staff takes a lot of hard work, and yes, money. Guess we are just going to disagree on whether PG should simply give away more of its' main product - information. As I already stated, I think they give away plenty of it now.

Like purchasing any product, a consumer can chose to buy...or not buy....depending upon their view of the value of that particular purchase.

Sounds like you find value in PG'sCrosschecker....you just want it for free.(that's ok, we can disagree) Other people find value and are willing to pay. I put myself in the paying category. I hope that PG is (or becomes) a profitable venture. That, and only that, will help insure it stays around as a way for youth baseball players to learn, develop and gain visibility.
08 catcher, as usual, it's easy to bash the industry leader. (Seeing that they gave your son a 7.0 set the tone for you, I guess).

I guess the litmus test is: how does PG stack up aginst their competitors? What does Team One/Rivals give for free? What does Baseball America/Baseball Factory give away for free?

I'm willing to venture that PG gives away more free info than both of those entities combined, squared, or whatever else you want to do with the numbers.
Last edited by wayback
quote:
Originally posted by wayback:
08 catcher, as usual, it's easy to bash the industry leader. (Seeing that they gave your son a 7.0 set the tone for you, I guess).

I guess the litmus test is: how does PG stack up aginst their competitors? What does Team One/Rivals give for free? What does Baseball America/Baseball Factory give away for free?

I'm willing to venture that PG gives away more free info than both of those entities combined, squared, or whatever else you want to do with the numbers.

Okay,what does the way they rated my son have to do with anything? Do you know who he is or who i am? I didnt think you did. He doesnt miss any sleep knowing what they ranked him and thanks for bringing that up, real class act. He has done very well before and after that on his HS and summer teams, thanks for the concern.

We chose not to go back for one reason only, and this is not a knock on PG just OUR reasoning. He got 5 at bats in two games. The team we were placed on let pitchers hit also. So for him it was frustrating. We choose to play for a team that plays in PG tournaments such as the Jupiter and East Cobb ones. More bang for the buck in my opinion.

And i know noone gives their stuff away for free, in my OPINION they all should. Now go back under your rock.
quote:
And i know noone gives their stuff away for free, in my OPINION they all should

Why? You obviously have no concept of a Profit and Loss Statement or even basis Economics in a free market economy. They don't have much but everything is free in Havana. They play baseball there too.

I can't believe anyone who successfully manages even a household budget would feel entitled to any good or service for free. I find that bizarre in 2007.
Posters,

I was involved with a high level organization for years 1994 through about 2005. During this time, PG experienced it's major growth and established it's domination as the group that offers the MOST exposure, information, showcases, experiences and education for all people in the game of baseball. The Ford family and their staff are by far the most dedicated, committed, communicative, hard working and involved than any other entity available to YOU, the parent and player. At the end of the day, they are by far the best organization to be involved with, for anyone related to the game. Scouts, coaches, players, families and fans all benefit from being involved with them.

These comments are made from my 12+ years of knowing and working with (and against them at times) PG and their staff. Many, many times, I had my differences and disagreements with them, but, when I look back on the net results for all involved, I must say that they are the BEST and they really, sincerely care about the GAME of baseball and they indeed make it more fun for all concerned by what they do in the big picture.

PG, thank you for the experiences, the memories you helped me to create and even the times when we intensly disagreed as we have all grown from those experiences. All of us are better today after experiences with PG than the day before we were exposed to their name and organization.

ANY player looking to play at a level higher than he/she is playing today, should participate with PG's organization in some fashion. I guarentee the experience will be more educational, more exposure oriented, more caring and beneficial than with any other organization involved in the game.

I feel sorry for those who feel otherwise as many times, people just don't get it. Many times, they're just plain jealous but, trust me, I've been there, I've had my disagreements with them, yet, I respect their energy, goals, commitment and ability to help players and their families to advance in this great game. I've had the experiences, now, it's YOUR turn, get involved with PG and have a GREAT time, when it's over for you as it is for me, you'll look back with tremendous satisfaction!!

BEST of luck in creating your memories and experiences!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
quote:
And i know noone gives their stuff away for free, in my OPINION they all should

Why? You obviously have no concept of a Profit and Loss Statement or even basis Economics in a free market economy. They don't have much but everything is free in Havana. They play baseball there too.

I can't believe anyone who successfully manages even a household budget would feel entitled to any good or service for free. I find that bizarre in 2007.

I have been talking about the top whatever number list. All the reasons why they should be on that list is another story. It is a name with a number by it so a parent can say look where my kid is ranked. The scouts and coaches want to know why he is ranked that high or low and that info should be paid for.

Im not pro or anti PG, we all know they do a good job and i wish them continued success.
08catcher, acutally I do know you and your son. He's a catcher with the initials of BS.

Want to see a class act, look in the mirror. You're the one who instigated an argument on the PG site calling another catcher lazy, full of himself, and having a nasty attitude....talk about class act!

Your post, and you actually mentioned the kids name in it: (My son has played against him since they were 10yo. His attitude reflects the coaches he has played for. He is lazy at times(that came from a very respected catching coach) and is pretty full of himself, but other than that the kid can play.....he has a nasty attitude). Class act. That rock is not a rock I crawled out from under. That rock you see is your head.

BTW, the reason I brought your son's grade into it is because it is usually the parents of kids with low grades who feel slighted and begin to snipe at PG. It is a common theme on these boards for that to happen.

Quit looking for everything for free. Do you pay for your local newspaper? Do you pay for cable television? Do you subscribe to magazines? Should they all be free, too? In reality, alot of newspapers are moving toward subscription based readership on the internet. After all, they're only reporting the news, and we're all entitled to that for free, aren't we if using your logic?

PG runs a business, as do Rivals, and BA. If you don't want to pony up for the product, then don't. But, PG provides more than their competitors do for free.
Last edited by wayback
08catcher, please advise where you work and what you do all day. Since you believe that the fruits of people's labors should be made available for free, I am hoping maybe you run a very nice restaurant or maybe a sporting goods store. I have been thinking how nice it would be to get those things I'd like to have for free, too. I could become one of your most regular customers!

For that matter, I have an opening at my business for someone who is willing to work and not charge me for it. But you must be willing to relocate. Send me a PM with your resume.
quote:
Originally posted by wayback:
per a prior post, he's a code inspector for the sheriff's office.

Hmmmm! Expects things for free! Oh, boy!

Apparently you just want to start something where it didnt need to be started. I made a simple comment IMHO and people here lost their minds. I wasnt bashing PG, Im not ****ed my son wasnt given a higher ranking, and could care less what somebody thinks about him as a player. He does alright by himself and will continue to do so.

If you know me so well wayback you would know my feelings on my sons performance, i dont live my athletic fantasies through him. Better yet, come to one of our games and introduce yourself since you know me so well and ill give you a hug, i didnt think you would. And wayback, i didnt put the kids name anywhere. It was out there and you took my statement out of context. I give that kid his respect whenever he is talked about.
I run a business. I wish it were true, but the customer is not always right.

Why should PG or any other business apologize for making a profit? What sensible person would start a business not expecting a profit? What great invention, miracle drug, or labor-saving device would be created without reward?

This argument is old as Karl Marx himself. Vote with your dollars!

PG is what it is. For some, it is a great venue to give their kid the break he needs to be seen. For others, it is a waste of their money. Vote with your dollars and stop whining!
PG is worth every dollar they charge and more IMHO. What they offer to the elite players around the country is second to none.

My son was invited to the National Showcase in Ohio next month, but because we can't afford it, he won't be going. We aren't going because there is a fee, we just can't go because we can't afford the entire trip.

I know the showcase would be a great tool for my son's future, but we just can't swing it financially. I don't expect PG to not charge the fee at all, so we just deal with it and hope he can showcase his talents at other tournaments this summer.

I can't believe someone would expect PG to offer their services for free! Blows my mind, really!
Question for PGStaff. I have sent many players to your showcases and I think they are outstanding. The one thing I want to know is: Why do you charge the college and pro scouts for the information on all of the players. If it were not for them then you would not be in business. The reason for the players to go to these showcases is because there are going to be scouts there. Many of the colleges that do attend have limited bugets and can not offered to get the package of information. I know you offer a program as well but all the program has is the players name, number, team he is on and high school. I also know that many times when the coaches do by the package of information there are quite a few wrong phone numbers and address for the players. It would seem that this is a disservice to those players who have paid your fee to be a part of your showcase and to those coaches who expect the information to be correct. Please shed some light onto this. It seems to be a problem that is getting bigger and bigger from the college coaches that I have talked to throughout the country.
quote:
this is a disservice to those players who have paid your fee to be a part of your showcase and to those coaches who expect the

First of all, We wouldn't have gotten this far if we were a disservice to players, scouts or recruiters. So it seems just the opposite. Besides, we provide more info for free to college recruiters than anyone on earth!!! All the information about players is available in more than one location, even video of the player. We like to think we provide a very valuable service to college recruiters and professional teams. If not they would stop following our stuff. In fact it's the college coaches and professional scouts that are our biggest supporters.

Second, We do lots of events that have no gate charge and have no player info charges. Other events we have to charge quite a bit because the player information file is sometimes like printing a book.

As long as the top players and teams keep coming to our events, the scouts and recruiters will also come. If the players are not very good, there would be no scouts or recruiters and no need for player information. No one to GIVE it away to!

Scouts and recruiters are just like players, they want to get the most for what they pay. What we charge scouts and recruiters at most events is an absolute bargain for them.
Last edited by PGStaff
Thanks for clearing that up for this unidentified Coach guy. He should ID himself so that we can see what his agenda is.
I have heard of and read about some organizations around the country that Try putting on showcases, and they Try bringing in coaches, recruiters and scouts. Many have been unsuccessful because they couldn't produce a quality product. Its like any business, produce a quality product and there will be a market for it. When the reputation of the product grows, more will want the product.
Why pay 9 bucks for a burger at a restaurant when McD's has them for a buck. Different perception of value for different folks. We are a society that will pay for good service and a quality product.
Pg and TR both run 1st class organizations and have an excellent product, thats why they're reconized often.

Thanks to both of you for the recognition you avail for our young players around the country.
FO

There are actually those who think you can run a showcase and it costs nothing---we use Double A minor league stadiums complete with groundscrew, lights, announcer and two patch umps per game. Not to mention our staff--we have had parents who swore up and down to our faces that we got this all for nothing

Oh yea the recruiting seminar/ reception we run costs us nothing--the hotel gives us the room and food for nothing

We also had one dad who swore we forged the names of the college coaches who sighed in, we have them all sign in at the front desk when they receive their program---need I tell you how close I came to slugging the guy---to make it worse for his kid the coaches in the press box heard his tirade and immediately cross his sons name off in the program

I have come to learn, as I am sure PG and his people have, that it takes all kinds---but there are times it is very difficult to keep your cool especially when PG is totally visible to all as I am at the events---we think it is better to do the right thing for the kids and take the pot shots when they occur because they are in the minimum and no matter what you do they will happen

In closing let me say I am proud to know Jerry and his PG staff and have all the respect in the world for their operation not to mention that I consider them to be great friends and I wish I had his patience
This thread has taken some appalling twists and turns...no-one's son should ever be disparaged.
That said, ALL businesses (including the medical profession) take criticisms...and almost always about money. It is understood...Lincoln said it best (this is prob. paraphrased) "You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
PG understands this...which is why he patiently deflects criticisms with honesty and integrity.
He also knows that he is dealing with "treasure" (our kids) and he attempts to handle with care.
Remember, even treasure hunters have to "pay" for what they find. What they "sell" pays for what they "find".
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:

We also had one dad who swore we forged the names of the college coaches who sighed in, we have them all sign in at the front desk when they receive their program---need I tell you how close I came to slugging the guy---to make it worse for his kid the coaches in the press box heard his tirade and immediately cross his sons name off in the program

"Honey I'm going to the showcase now....Have you seen my brass knuckles?" Sorry, I wish it was an isolated incident, but its not. Parents function on hightened sensitivity before, during and after events their children participate in. I'm sure the situation requires the patience of Job, on his best day.

I was waiting for a conference game to start Saturday and a mom from another team got into a shouting match with another fan from another school. One minute we are chatting nicely and a third person makes a comment about her son's team last play and she goes completely berserk for 90 seconds. She apologized just as quickly. I went and sat in the top row waiting for the next game. Eek
Last edited by Dad04

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.