Skip to main content

Cape Henry splits a double header with Flint Hill this past Saturday, losing the first game 1-0 on a past ball in the bottom of the seventh. Robert Morey got his first loss, giving up just 2 hits and striking out 11. The Dolphins were only able to grind out 4 hits themselves, although they hit the ball often and hard- just not where they were'nt.
Coleman Newel got the win in the second game as Cape Henry exploded for 14 hits, in a 8-6 game. The game was not really as close as the score would indicate, as many thought Newel should have been relieved earlier that he was. Pete Levitt came in to relieve in the 4th with bases loaded and 2 away, and after walking the first batter he faced, struck out the next to end the inning. He also added his 6th home run of the season. Robert Morey came back in the 7th to close the game and get the save.
The Dolphins are now 14-1
No doubt - Cape Henry is a great team with great players, coaches, and fans. It was an honor to watch them play and an honor to see our boys take the field with them.

As a Flint Hill parent, I was really proud to see Flint Hill stay in the games and, even in the second game, battle back from a deficit.

Watching the first game was one of those baseball gems for me. A battle between two very different, but very good pitchers, on a gorgeous day. What more could you ask? (Morey is going to UVA and Flint Hill's pitcher has committed to play for Rhodes College in Memphis, TN [35-8 for the season and just bested Trinity of TX to progress to the SCAC tournament]). Flint Hill's fielding in game one was stellar. Again, a pleasure to watch. While my heart ached for Morey (I heard it was his first loss in two years), I thought it was a well played game all around. But, I have to admit, I was really happy for Flint Hill. Congrats to both teams.

I actually think that the second game was closer than the score indicated. Why else bring Robert Morey back to close after pitching a complete first game?

The lefty that started the second game for FHS is coming back from an injury to his left hand. He was not nearly at his best, but did the best that he could that day for his team. He is a star in this mom's eyes. (No, not my son.) As a junior he will be someone that you want to watch in the coming year.

The pitcher that finished the game for FHS is a freshman with great composure and nerves of steal. My personal nickname for him is "iron man" because he comes into these situations that would give pause to older, bigger, more experienced players, and he functions effectively and is seemingly unflappable. Again, a joy to watch and someone worth keeping on your radar screen.

So, thank you to Cape Henry for an enjoyable day of baseball. I hope that Flint Hill was a good host to you and that you shared in our appreciation of a great day at the ball field.
No disrespect intended towards Flint Hill. One of the best teams to play Cape Henry this year. The coach brought Morey in because he, the coach, let it get too close by keeping in the starting pitche way to longr, and he
absolutly wanted to go home with a win in the second game. The other "big" pitcher Cape Henry has, who came in to get the out with the bases loaded, is pitching in a conference game tomorrow, and could not be used much, and I imagine, Mr. Morey wanted his opportunity to partially redeem himself.
The home team crowd, except for the Flint Hill parent who kept calling out the Cape Henry pitching signs he was stealing, were very friendly and accomodating. It was a very good day of great baseball.
I was sitting near the fan who was "stealing" the signs and calling them out (he is not related to me). We were sitting behind the catcher and could see his signs openly. The fan in question actually told your coach that the catcher needed to keep his hand up rather than drop it down where it could be easily seen. Your coach started asking him after each of your defensive innings whether the catcher's hand was dropping. The catcher started hiding his signs more consistently.

I don't agree with calling out anything our from the sidelines, so I am in no way defending him, but I think it may have ended up helping your team. At least you knew that your signs were visable. If our fan had not said anything, the signs would have remained visable for all to see. By speaking up, he at least gave your coach a chance to stop the showing of your signs and may have prevented our coach from reading them.

At any rate, knowing what is coming at you and being able to hit it are two differnt things. I think your pitchers could have told our batters what they were going to throw and it may not have made much of a difference. You have a lot of talent and they were fun to watch.

Hopefully, the games this past Saturday will help your catcher remember to keep his hand tucked up during your conference game tomorrow and in future games and there will be no way his signs can be stolen. Good luck tomorrow!
Not to belabor the point......He only told the coach after the coach yelled at the catcher that his signs were being relayed to the batters. I heard the Cape Henry coach tell this fan that he did not mind and that he would do it as well if he had the opportunity. I absolutely dissagree with him on that one. I believe fans should be fans and let the game be played on the field.
You are very gracious with your compliments, and as I said, your boys are talented and well coached. Good luck to your guys as well. We probably will see you 1st round of states!
Thanks, Impartial.

I'm all with you on the fans being fans and letting the players and coaches handle the game.

Here's to all of our guys who do such a great job - sometimes in spite their parents!

As for states - it would be nice to see you there, but for now it is one game at a time, one pitch at a time, one swing at a time, one play at a time. (Sometimes, I even remember to breath!)

It has been great to "talk" with you here. I look forward to your posts and hearing how Cape Henry is doing.

Best wishes.
Why even have signs and signals? Just let the coach call them out and the opposing players can be on the "honor system" and not react to their advantage...COME ON!! If a catcher signals so low that people sitting behind him can see them, he should have them stolen. What if the catcher keeps his left leg open and the third base coach can see the signal? Honor system again? Why have multiple signals when a runner is on second? He won't steal them because that would be dishonest.

The only way your catcher is going to learn is to do it the right way so they can't be stolen. T-Ball was a long time ago.
quote:
Originally posted by impartialbut:
I have no problem with people playing the game stealing signs, that is part of the game. Inside the lines, all is fair. Let the spectators spectate.

I disagree. If the catcher can't hide his signs, why shouldn't someone steal them? As a previous poster sarcastically said...why even have signs at all? Would you feel differently if the "spectator" was actually a coach that was just spectating that game?
quote:
Originally posted by impartialbut:
redbird5- My wife and son disagree with me on this point as well, so you have to get in line. It's just an opinion, and I have an open mind. To me, it did not feel right and it is something, as a spectator I would not do. But if the general concensus out there is that the guy did nothing wrong, then so be it!

No big deal...if it weren't for the fan, your catcher wouldn't have known he was flashing his signals. Most fans can't relay the signal to the hitter in an inconspicuous manner anyway. After a couple of "HEAR COMES THE CURVEBALL" screams any coach with half a brain will figure it out. Smile

My son and I are always trying to pick up signals and see where the breakdown is when we spectate...only to make him better in receiving and relaying his signals to his pitchers.
As far as the fan stealing signs in the CH FH game I dont have a problem with it. First of all unless he had something set up with the players the batter is not going to be listening to a fan. Secondly he did not have enough time to relay a signal to a batter via someone who had contact with the batters either. Stealing signs is part of the game but there are unwritten rules on how to do it. As a first base coach who has done it many times, I know you dont just yell out the pitch. One of two things will happen if you do that, first the signs will probably be changed ruining the advantage and two, although i do not condone this, there are still old school baseball coaches out there that will knock a batter down by throwing one under his chin if they find out signs are being relayed. All the fan accomplished that day at Flint Hill was teaching a young cathcer a valualble lesson. Stealing signs is part of baseball. My advice is just be a little more savy about it. As far as fan involvement, I have seen much worse behavior out of fans directed at my players and that is when we have a problem. Oh and those of you from Flint Hill that read this, you guys are a class act from top to bottom.
4/25/2007 Division II
1 Greenbrier Christian 17 3
2 Miller School 12 4
3 Hampton Christian 14 3
4 Brunswick Academy 10 2
5 Isle of Wight 9 2
6 Atlantic Shores 9 4
7 Steward School 7 4
8 Seton School 5 3
9 Fredericksburg Christian4 3 1
10 Roanoke Catholic 5 7
Portsmouth Christian 5 7

4/25/2007 Division I
1 Notre Dame 21 2
2 Paul VI 16 3
3 Cape Henry 14 1
4 Nansemond Suffolk 13 2
5 Benedictine 14 4
6 Flint Hill 12 5
7 Collegiate School 7 4
8 Trinity Episcopal 8 3
9 Bishop O'Connell 10 6
10 St Christopher's 7 6
Last edited by MWR-VA
Actually, the rankings are due out on Wednesday's, but I just got them this morning. Here is the lastest, dated 5/2/07.

5/2/2007 Division I
1 Notre Dame 25 3
2 Paul VI 20 3
3 Cape Henry 15 2
4 Nansemond Suffolk 15 2
5 Benedictine 15 6
6 Collegiate School 10 5
7 St Christopher's 9 6
8 Flint Hill 13 7
9 Bishop O'Connell 12 7
10 Trinity Episcopal 8 6

5/2/2007 Division II
1 Greenbrier Christian 21 3
2 Miller School 14 4
3 Hampton Christian 17 3
4 Brunswick Academy 13 2
5 Atlantic Shores 10 5
6 Isle of Wight 9 4
7 Steward School 9 4
8 Seton School 6 4
9 Fredericksburg Christian5 5 1
10 Potomac School 5 6
Roanoke Catholic 6 8

5/2/2007 Division III
1 Southampton Academy 14 1
2 Carlisle School 10 6
3 Broadwater Academy 10 6
4 North Cross 10 7
5 Blessed Sacrament 8 7
6 Kenston Forest 7 8
7 Alliance Christian 7 8
8 Tidewater Academy 5 11
9 Richmond Christian 5 11
10 Fuqua School 5 10
Last edited by ACS Falcons 3B Dad
Cape Henry VS NA is Sunday at 1PM. It will match up Morey against Beasley. Should be a good matchup pitching wise. Beasley is NA's best and throws mid 80's as a sophomore. He and TJ Costen an 8th grader who also throws around 80 are the future stars of our conference. Beasley has already established himself as a formidable presence on the mound with impressive games as a freshman and this year. NA should compete for the conference in the next couple years as they have a good young group of players returning. As a Cape Henry affiliate, I think NA will be a team to watch the next two years.
There was another important game that has not been played yet NSA vs Greenbrier. If NSA should win there will be a three-way tie at for first in the conference. NSA is very good and has a good chance of beating Greebrier. I think they are very evenly matched with the pitching edge going to Greenbrier. NSA however is one team that is not afraid of anyone they play and that goes a long way in High School baseball.
Cape Henry defeats Norfolk Academy 10-0 in 5 innings. Morey the winning pitcher with Levitt driving in the winning runs in the first with men on second and third with a double down the left field line. Whithead has three hits in the game. This sets the stage for the possible third meeting in as many years of GCA and CHC in the TCIS finals this Friday night. Rotation for CHC this week should be Tuesday quarter finals- Newell, Thursday's semi-finals- Levitt, and the finals will probable be a re-match of Bullman and Morey. More newspaper articles to follow?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.