Skip to main content

Son is going to be a HS senior this year, 2.50 GPA, 1450 on SAT. Hearing from D1 colleges but suspect he won't be at the top of their lists because of his grades. Some pro scouts are asking whether he's interested in skipping college. Need some advice here on what their intentions might be and whether it's a good idea or bad idea given his academic achievements so far.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
It is important to improve his grades so that he has options

quote:
Have a good senior year and I am sure you still have many options.

This is some of the best advice you can get. Please don’t let him shut the door to college this early. His grades aren’t that bad and he still has a year to improve them.

Good Luck to him.
I have heard that 1450 is pretty good and that his 2.50 GPA because he goes to a private school isn't that bad if he can show that he can get it up this year. I'm just wondering how many kids end up just going pro even if they aren't drafted in the top rounds and do the scouts encourage that to get them cheaper. I would rather he go to college so we'll keep working in that direction.
The admissions dept. will give you the minimum required and average SAT for the past few years of any school your son is looking into.
1450 of 2400 (new SAT) equates to something between 1000-1080 (old SAT).
RE: GPA, you can ask the college how the 2.5 equates, too. And if grades are weighted at the private, if the courses were AP or College Prep.
Juco is also an option...they offer more scholarships (24 vs. 11.7)
He can take the SAT again in August, Oct, Jan...Some schools will take a best score from each test.
gpct8500,

My son's grades and test scores were similar to your son's, when he graduated from high school in 2004 (an academically challenging private school). He was not a draft prospect, but his decision was between a less academically challenging D2 with a strong baseball program, where he was automatically admitted based on test scores, or a more challenging D3 with a good but developing baseball program, where he was borderline for admission. He chose the D3, and had to get some of his high school teachers involved in helping him get accepted.

We still wondered whether he could pass his college courses, and it has not been easy, but so far he is making appropriate progress toward a degree. He likes college much more than he thought he would, and he LOVES college baseball. The team camaraderie in college is key - he will never, ever forget this experience, and the friends he has made, for the rest of his life.

This doesn't exactly address your son's "pro vs college" decision, but I just thought I would share that from the perspective of a student/athlete who didn't know if college would be a good fit for him.
Last edited by MN-Mom
To all let me say this has been a tough Question in are house for a month are so.
My 06 son was a drafted player, are should I say a draft and follow player.
And before the draft we were waiting to see if any scholly money would be available after the Draft.
Well there was School's that were contacting him after the Draft.
We had to wait till my 06 was back home from oversea's.
And after all said school's had seen him this past week.

Also out of respect for the Team that Drafted him, We sat and Talked to his Scout.
It's the Hardest Decision my Son has ever had to Make.
And being the Parent, I had to let him Make that Decision on his Own.
I believe he made the Right Decision and I will Back him up 100%.
Either decision he would of made I would of backed it!! EH
Gpct8500,
Great questions and some great answers. I agree with MNMom when she says most student athletes love college and college baseball. Again this has nothing to do with your question but I will add that my son really enjoyed college and college baseball. College has few negatives. Again I agree with most when they talk about OPTIONS! Options are the greatest asset a player can have when determining his future (baseball or otherwise). Couple of things to consider here. For the most part D1 college coaches are baseball coaches and are only concerned if a player lacks the academics to remain eligible during his college years. I had a mother of an excellent pitcher (with weak academics) tell me a nationally known D1 coach told her if she could get her son’s ACT high enough to gain admittance into his college that he could KEEP him eligible. In most instances the baseball coach is all about baseball and academics is relegated to being just a necessary component that perpetuates his baseball program! EVERYONE knows the importance of academics but baseball is their game and their concerns are baseball related.
Professional scouts are looking to draft only those players that are going to accept their offer to play professional baseball. Signability is a big issue with professional scouts as it should be. One has to assume the weaker the player’s academics, the higher the probability he will sign if offered. I’ve heard discussions go both ways in trying to determine if weaker academics could “help” his draft status? My gut feel tells me the weaker academics will actually hurt his draft status and/or his signing bonus. Again I think this is where the “options” come in and enhances the player’s negotiating position. Scouts are very aware of the “options” the player will be faced with and the seasoned scout can pretty much tell which way a player will go when offered. Just a side note: In my opinion the player may be the “mouthpiece” in declaring his intention to go pro or college, but the parental influence is obvious even with those that claim it was “his” decision so look for scouts to get Mom and Dad’s positions on the pro/college choice. I might ad that I have heard of many players professional careers have been postponed just because a parent said something during the recruiting process.
Fungo
Fungo,
Great post! There is nothing wrong with college baseball, in fact I think baseball made son a better student. I remember while in college I found every excuse known to mankind to get out of class. Son has no excuse, you go or you don't play. Smile

I just wanted to add something. I found out recently that many coaches receive a bonus for every player that has a GPA above 3.0! Big Grin
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by Fungo:
My gut feel tells me the weaker academics will actually hurt his draft status and/or his signing bonus. Again I think this is where the “options” come in and enhances the player’s negotiating position. Scouts are very aware of the “options” the player will be faced with and the seasoned scout can pretty much tell which way a player will go when offered.

Fungo, I completely agree with this.

On one hand you may have some scouts telling you your son should start his pro career early, that college coaches are only worried about winning and not player development, the benefits of playing everyday, etc.

Then, the college coaches are telling you about the valve of an education, the excitement of playing in a college world series, and how small a percentage of pro players make it all the way.

It can feel like you are being torn in two different directions.

Add to that, a major leaguer who advises if your son doesn’t go in the first couple of rounds and get very good money to sign then he should go to college. Wow, is it any wonder parents get involved?

So, keeping the option of going to college open is very important. Whether, he decides to go to a DI or a JUCO.

Some kids are ready to sign after school and others may need another year or two. It is all about keeping your options open.

Just wanted to add, that IMO signing with a well know DI for baseball will probably get him more of a signing bonus than signing with a junior college or smaller 4 year school. But, that is probably a different topic.
Last edited by HowUbe
Having been through the process I have to repectfully disagree with the above statment.

While higher GPA gives you more options for choices, it does not necessarily mean you will have better draft options. More and more teams (due to restrictions with slot money unless you are a TOP prospect) will not offer you a bonus and give you extra money for your scholarship amount in your pocket. They will let you walk away and try again in three years. Yeah, yeah I know there is a MLB scholarship plan, but it is NOT the college experience. And make sure you read it carefully beforehand.

It's esier for a team to sway a prospect to sign that might have difficulty going to school and handling baseball at the same time. I have seen more prospects NOT drafted out of high school or drafted later rounds(with hopes of a draft and follow) because of good scholarships and high GPA's. I have seen more and more HS prospects getting drafted because of lower GPA's and small scholarhip amounts. No offense to anyone with my opinion.

Someone said once, the draft isn't always about finding and getting the best talent, but the best available players.
TPM,

I understand why you disagree and respect your opinion.

I agree with you that many very good players go un-drafted because a club may not believe he can be signed away from college.

I know of a very good pitcher who had the talent to go in the early rounds of the draft a couple of years ago. He was an excellent student, his father was a doctor, and he had a scholarship to a very good University. He went un-drafted because he wasn’t signable.

I think scouts do a very good job of checking out prospects for signability before the draft. That means a lot of very good players won’t get drafted, because the scouts know they can’t get them to sign.
Thats correct. Pro baseball and pro scouts have no restrictions at all. They can come and go as many times as they would like and they can call and talk to you every single day if they so choose.

As for college baseball vs Pro baseball. That would be a personal option. Most kids and their parents like the college option because they know what the road leads to as oppossed to the unknow fear factor that goes with what pro ball has to offer. AT LEAST IN THEIR MINDS. I see many many kids who transfer from one college to the next because the situation didn't turn out the way they wanted it to in college. I also think that has a bearing. In pro ball if the player or parent doesn't like the way its going there is no undoing or changing it. Pro baseball and all the teams do a great job of taking care of the high school players. They really do.

For most parents and even the players now. Its about the all mighty dollar. If your goal is money, GO TO SCHOOL. If its about trying to be a major league player, GO PRO.

I hear alot of this college experience bull. Well you get that everyday in pro ball. You meet some great people and all of them are also within the 4 years of age you would be in college. You'll have lifetime friends and even better fun than in college because your doing baseball everyday and not attending class as a social security number. In pro baseball you have a name.Is it really about the partys? Can you name one job that will give you a 100 grand bonus and pay for your college? Can you name one job that you can get that will pay you over a million dollars a year if you make it to the big leagues. Sure its hard to make it. But shouldn't everything be something that you have to really work hard to attain?
VANCE34,GREAT POST MY BROTHER!!!

All of these responses are very good!

It is really the individual's own decision and can be very difficult to make.

I've seen the best and the worst of each side of decision and as I have said many times here and elsewhere Smile You better get the dough while the gettins good. Here are just a few from 2006 draft that I have seen in scouting endeavors>

Clayton Kershaw
Colton Willems
Preston Mattingly
Kyle Drabek
Chris Marrero
Chris Huseby

and on and on....this is just the tip of the iceberg...help me out with others HSBBW board....There are many many more! Peace, Shep
Yeah and for every kid with a college degree over half aren't even in the field that they studied.

An investment becomes a GOOD investment no matter the cost of the investment if it is worked. Wonder what PIAZZA was thinking when he signed in the 62nd round or Keith Hernadez in the 40 something round and, well I could go on and on.

Again, I wonder how big the fight would be to get on the bus if every player drafted got the same amount?
Vance

I take it you have no college degree---just by the weay you post--you can correct me if I am wrong-- for many it is quite important, the degree that is--there are already too many training centers being run by excellent baseball players who did not make it--not knocking them --just stating fact--what else can they do ?

In this day and age most times a college degree wont get you anywhere--many companys are looking for graduate degrees

It is a decision for each individual but I know where I would go---$1 million doesnt last long after taxes
I'll give you an even more recent example than that who plays in TX LEAGUE out your way Vance.
His name is Terry Evans who was drafted and signed in 47th round a couple years back by St Louis and promptly just got traded to Angels for Jeff Weaver with Jared Weaver taking Jeff's place in the rotation. I spoke with Terry, Coach Derrick May and Coach Pop Warner before many FL STATE LEAGUE games before the trade and gave what I thought were some helpful tips on hitting. Terry Evans is currently leading all Minor League Hitters in HRs if you include Palm Beach Cards, Springfield(before Trade) and currently Arkansas Travelers AA. Dennis Dove is currently throwing 96 97 98 MPH as setup man for Cards and being looked at by some clubs looking for closer. Excellent candidate IMHO.
Don't worry, I'll keep you updated on all of them. Just go to PG professional forum threads and you will see what I mean. Peace, Shep
Last edited by Shepster
It is a very Personal decision that every Drafted Player must face.
For some they know that Pro ball as quik as possible is the Answer. No matter what round they were Drafted.
For Some even Know they may have Top Bonus money Available, Choose College.

Then there's the Betweener's. Is that a word??

Can there be a wrong are right answer here?

EH
As usual TR HIT your clueless. I have a masters degree.

quote:
It is a decision for each individual but I know where I would go---$1 million doesnt last long after taxes

Do you really know how dumb that statement is?

You can always go to college (its free, the club will pay for it) and if you hire someone to invest your money it will last many many years. However if you wanta give it away to every party stop and every family member you know then of course not.

And on top of that. Tell me where you can get a million dollar bonus before taxes with a graduate degree? There is no such thing.

The right and wrong answer is this, IF ITS ABOUT MONEY GO TO SCHOOL. IF ITS ABOUT TRYING TO BECOME A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYER SIGN A PRO CONTRACT.
Last edited by Vance34
Vance

I am tired of the pissing contest with you-- CLUELESS--not in any way

How dumb is the statement--LMAO--one million is at the best 750,000 after taxes--and the rest doesnt last long because most kids spend on ahome for mom and pop , cars etc

You see Vance I live in the real world-- I want kids to get an education not get a huge check that evaporates overnight-- a degree helps them for the future not just today

You preach from one pedestal and I from another-whois right Iahve no idea but nI like my side of the stage when I speak-and by the way the dogs you have biting at my heels are not big enoough to take me down
TR HIT, well stop pissing then.

Isn't getting a college degree about earning a pay check? Tell you what, figure out for me what, with the avg college degree , how many years it would take to earn $750,000.

Who cares when and how you get it. The bottom line is that you got it. Lets see, and yes this is condensending, Go play pro ball take the $750,00 give it 5 years and work your tail off. If you don't make it then get your degree its free! Now you have the money and the experience and you still have the rest of your life to get the degree.

Its amazing that kids and parents walk away from $750,000 dollars and a FREE 4 year SCHOLARSHIP.
Last edited by Vance34
Vance

For me it is very simple---get the college degree unless they give you upwards of 5 million

Simple as that--as I said you go your way and I go mine--but I like my way better--
there is longevity

And you and I know the college deal almost never happens for the pro player when it all ends--and by then the kid has no desire to go back school
quote:
I see morons making 50-75k per year in my business, thankfully I fire them instead of hire them............many college degreed kids get paid less than non-degree in many fields......

Well IMHO, my lil sis went to college instead of trying for pro in golf. I laugh how some one 8 years younger than me is making 4 times what I am making. I finished my degree in my thirties. I spent my teens and twenties working 60-70 hours a week while taking a few occasional classes. I really busted my hump. I made good money but it didnt substitute what a wonderful time that my sister had in college. A lot of kids who went to college that are 10 years younger than me are making plenty of money. Check out the other post about how hard its in the minors. Do you really think a player with a wife and kid are going to pound out a degree in 3-4 years? Sorry for the negativism there in that question. I have run into quite a few not quite good enough to be there guys who have no degree to speak of and their money is all gone.

Another thing about college. I do have relationships with friends that I work with over this time but I don't have college buddies. When I finished my degree everyone was older and trying like hell to get out of school. The 20 something college students are living in the world for the first time in their lives! There is no cocoon of baseball only there. So i don't blame the kid that passes on the million dollar offer he wants to try college out first.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE BASEBALL! If you can do academics and baseball, I can't see how you can't go to college. Pro Baseball isn't going anywhere. If you are good enough they will draft you! Enjoy your college life then start your pro baseball life.
Last edited by penja
You guys are talking about $1,000,000 signing bonus'. There are around 1500 kids drafted each year and you are talking about 30 or so kids per year. Roll Eyes

Heard the other day that $1,000,000 getting 6% will earn $60,000 a year in interest. HMMM.....

IMHO, anyone who give up $1,000,000 to sign either really, really wants school, is a very top prospect who thinks they will sign for 2-3 million later or has well to do parents Wink.

I don't knock anyone for their decisions and as others have said, it's a personal decision. Might as well be arguing over which came first, the chicken or the egg! BTW, it was the chicken Razz.
Last edited by FrankF
quote:
You guys are talking about $1,000,000 signing bonus'. There are around 1500 kids drafted each year and you are talking about 30 or so kids per year.

FrankF,

I was thinking the same thing! By the way, if anyone wants to sign my son for a million dollars he is available. Wink

Seriously, this only effects a small percentage of those drafted.
A scout will always give the argument as to why you SHOULD go pro. Unless you are a scout such as bbscout, who realizes that this is a HSBBW read by parents whose sons most likely will not get a million dollar + signing bonus.
And actually don't know why the big bucks is being discussed going pro vs college, because I doubt that it would pertain to many who come here to visit. It's more about in betweeners. So VERY few get big money, and in the end it shouldnot be about money, but what your son wants to experience. It is apparent by reading the draft rounds, that very many college players are drafted and there is NOTHING wrong with going to college with the hopes of pro ball later on, whther it be for 1 million or 25K.

By the way, many clubs will not pay out full bonus' anymore all at once, so that the prospect doesn't get up and quite if he is not happy. So for some, forget the total investment.

There are many who were lower picks who made it, many higher picks who did not. It's a crapshoot, we all know that. Remember folks, cream rises to the top, 45th or 1st round.

As far as going to college and not playing enough baseball, my son's team played approx 70 games in 5 months. He is at the cape, playing 6-7 days a week. He has more innings put in this summer than his friends that have been drafted. So as a pitcher, how much do you REALLY play? As a late round draft pick, how much do you REALLY play. In the fall he is back to workouts at a magnificent facility and in instruction and practice, with very little time off on the field. The spring practice EVERYDAY with instruction except mondays due to NCAA regulations, and a full day of classes. College players schedules are very difficult and very demanding and does not go unnoticed by the scouts watching day to day.
You speak to those who went pro after HS, you speak to those who went to college, both will tell you it was the right choice (and probably wouldno thave had it any other way) because it was the right choice for them, at the time. You make friends for a lifetime at either, on and off the field.

In the end, it's all about options, do what you have to do to have the option to choose, which means trying to do the best you can in HS, so that when the time comes you can choose between going to a Rice, Cal State, UGA, Standford, GA Tech, Clemson, UM, Oregon State, UNC, etc. vs pro early on.

For those of you that state the degree means nothing, I know of lots of college players coming out who are making VERY good money. The experience alone of trying to juggle school and a sport sets them apart from others. A college degree, or some type of school beyond HS shows years of hard work and commitment, a college degree will earn you more money in the end unless you go onto become an entrepanuer.

JMO.
Tiger Mom. You just don't get it do you. Its about chasing a dream of playing in the major leagues. Those are the players I want!

Your young you have your whole life in front of you. You can go to college when your 90. But you can't play baseball forever. There are more than 30 players who get a Million dollar signing bonus or more. Again, its not about the money. Its about putting it out there and giving it all you got and see if you can become a big leaguer. Its a risk. Those that take risk seem to succeed more in life anyway.

Its not about options either. Its about a dream. A dream of playing with the best players in the world.

Bottom line.you wanta be a big leaguer then you have to work for it!
I really do respect the scouts. Look at the BA database on previous signing bonuses. There is very few kids who don't sign. I couldn't imagine the amount of work to get such a huge percentage of signings.

I do not think your dream should die because you decide to go to College. A large number of drafted players are out of college. I personally think doing College at 25-26 is little more difficult than 18-19. Just my opinion.
Vance, I don't think YOU get it.

Only about 60% of first rounders ever see an inning in the majors. The other 40% never get there. As you go down the draft, the odds get lower and lower.

Yes, you can go to college at any age, but college isn't just about the books. Most of us remember our college days fondly for a whole host of reasons. It's a huge, positive experience that I think a boy (and today's 18-year-old is a "boy", not a man) should be quite properly reluctant to give up.

If he's a player, then after 3-4 years of college ball he'll still get his shot. As Mark Texiera put it, why ride buses in the minors when you can do your time at a nice university? The top college guys often enter the minors at AA (Ryan Zimmerman, for example). The typical high school draftee starts in rookie ball and needs a few years to get to AA, if he ever gets there at all.

Zimmerman's in the majors at age 21. Would he have gotten there sooner had he gone in the draft at age 18? Would he have gotten his $2.5 million signing bonus if he had signed at age 18? (Nope!)

These decisions have to be made on an individual basis, taking into account how good the kid really is, whether he's college material or not, what the financial options are, etc.

Andrew Miller got drafted out of high school. Had he signed, his slot money would've been about 800k. This year, he'll get about $2.4-2.5 million. Looks to me like he had three great years at UNC and came out about $1.6-1.7 million ahead and on the fast track to the bigs. Now tell me: Do you think he should have signed out of high school?
Last edited by Midlo Dad
Midlo

You have to realize that Vance is locked into his own thinking---if you dont agree with him you "don't get it"-- and he claims he has a Masters and still talks like this-- lets assume he has his masters--w and he talks about education this way?

I prefer the go to college for the three years at least method and play ball at the same time---if you are not college material, and yes there are those players, you get drafted and sign.

I also agree that most kids who sign out out of HS never get to college later on even if it is part of the deal--- but that proviso is only good for so many years and doesn't last forever-- why do think that "carrot" is included--it is money most teams never have to spend
Last edited by TRhit
I'm going to change the question just a little, are the solution let's say.
If the Pro's Guaranteed that a player out of HS. Would get at least 6 to 7 Yr's. of playing time in 1 organization, before there sent to the Curb.
Then that might be worth forgoing College.
But only if that was your first priority.
I've heard to many stories of player's that are cut before the ink is dry on there contract. EH
Vance,
Trust me! I get it! Just because someone decides to go to college, doesn't mean he doesn't have the dream. My son has had the dream since he was a little guy, still does, college hasn't changed that one bit!
Honesty, if you ask him he would tell you know he would not have given up what he has for a million. You are right about one thing, it is NOT about the money.

Included in his goal of playing MLB was the dream of winning a conference championship, going to Omaha as a player and playing for USA or on the cape for summer. He also wanted to experience football weekends and homecoming, s****r games and basketball games, and probably a lot more I don't know about. Do admit, classes seem to get in the way sometimes, though he has managed to keep the GPA above 3.0! He has achieved most of that, pretty determined and serious about his game, so I wouldn't doubt he MIGHT make it someday. He took a risk, and according to you, risk takers are more successful.
Scouts came to do their job, asking questions, explaining about their system of advancement, etc. But in the end when they called before draft time to ask what he really wanted to do and he answered go to college, they all said, "wise choice". But again I say, that was the right choice for him.

Dreams are dreams and reality is reality. Reality is, he wants to do it all. Are you or I to tell him he CAN'T? He may or may not make it to the show someday but I can tell you that he is having one h e l l of a ride along the way!
EH,
Each year approx 1500 are drafted. Most don't sign. The draft serves two purposes. One to find the best available prospects for MLB, second to have players make up teams for those prospects, three, to add $$ to baseball from revenues from their ML affiliates.

Most teams don't want to give those that are not top prospects more time than they have to. They have a revolving door going. They need to have their prospects play against the best, for competition to get to the show. Every once in a while they draft what they feel may be an organizational player, and he turns out to be a sensation.
There are so many players to fill open positions and so many teams to fill them. The more players that come, means more go. It's a game of survival of the fittest with yes, the "investments" given more chances, more time.

There are no guarantees in life. Even in college, you might be asked to leave to make room for someone else who might have more potential than you. Life isn't fair and baseball is not fair.
IMO - When it comes to this subject - anyone who claims an absolute truth exists one way or the other is just "talking jive".

Every single kid is different - and every kid's situation is different.

There isnt anyone on this planet that can tell a kid what is right for him.

Some kids make the right decisions and some dont. Thats life.

But to claim that you must go to college - or that you must play pro ball out of high school - or any other absolute - belies a very simple mind. (Regardless of what type of sheepskin you have hanging on the wall - or dont have hanging on the wall.)

IMO.
Last edited by itsinthegame
quote:
The draft serves two purposes. One to find the best available prospects for MLB, second to have players make up teams for those prospects, three, to add $$ to baseball from revenues from their ML affiliates.

Isn't that 3 purposes?

Your right on number 1
and
Your somewhat right on numer 2
Pro teams do not draft HS players to fill rosters. They do that with college players and independent league players only.

and your way off the deep end on number 3
MLB teams do not make money on their minor league teams. Each Minor league team supports its self. Actually MLB teams loose money on minor league teams.

quote:
There are so many players to fill open positions and so many teams to fill them. The more players that come, means more go. It's a game of survival of the fittest with yes, the "investments" given more chances, more time.

Isn't that the way ALL jobs are. Unless your a stay home mom, and even those get replaced sometimes too.

IF you wanta go to college go. I have said that all along. If its about becoming a major league player then sign your contract.

Go down each major league roster. MOST players and MOST of the high dollar players NEVER attended one day of college class.

There isn't one ML team that would draft a HS kid and not give him 5 years. Pro teams draft HS players to help them make it to the big leagues. Bottom line.
quote:
Originally posted by Vance34:

Go down each major league roster. MOST players and MOST of the high dollar players NEVER attended one day of college class.

How do you define most?

I actually did that exercise a few weeks ago.
Every single team - just because I had some time to waste. I even posted about 5 or 6 teams worth here.

Its about 50-50 - with a high number of players having attended JUCO's and community colleges.

And if you take the Latin American players out of the equation - the ratio is about 60-40.

I guess it comes down to how you define "Most". LOL

Last edited by itsinthegame
EH,
I saw this on another post, might explain why players are let go.

http://baseball.about.com/od/lesserknownrules/a/transactionrule.htm

Vance, Sorry, I meant 3, please forgive me. You mean to say baseball MAKES NO money off of ML? You said they lose money? So if they make no money off of them how can they lose money?

I never said that more college or HS players were drafted to fill rosters. Hmm, that's odd, you mean that 16 college players of the first round, 18 college players of the second round were drafted to fill rosters? Holy moly, what an incredible waste of money!

And if they have no intentions of having them make it to MLB, why did they spend money on MOST of them in the first place, oh I forgot, to fill roster spots! Gee, and I thought they were considered prospects.

You certainly do make the whole thing confusing!

BTW, Midlo dad sked you a question, last page, you didn't answer. Roll Eyes
Last edited by TPM
quote:
You mean to say baseball MAKES NO money off of ML? You said they lose money? So if they make no money off of them how can they lose money

Major League teams make no money from the minor league teams. That would be correct! Each minor league team is self supporting. The major league teams actually pay for a minor league agreement with a city. They team also supplies all the equipment and all the player and coaches salaries. They recieve no revenue for having a team in a city.

quote:
you mean that 16 college players of the first round, 18 college players of the second round were drafted to fill rosters? Holy moly, what an incredible waste of money!

Not what I said. What I said was that pro teams don't draft HS players to fill rosters. They draft college and Independent players. I DID NOT say they draft 1st round players or 2nd round players to fill rosters. BUT, the Royals have come close.

quote:
And if they have no intentions of having them make it to MLB, why did they spend money on MOST of them in the first place, oh I forgot, to fill roster spots! Gee, and I thought they were considered prospects

They have all intentions of helping them make it to the ML's. Guys taken that early in the draft would not be roster fillers. I NEVER SAID THAT!
quote:
I actually did that exercise a few weeks ago.
Every single team - just because I had some time to waste. I even posted about 5 or 6 teams worth here.

Its about 50-50 - with a high number of players having attended JUCO's and community colleges.

And if you take the Latin American players out of the equation - the ratio is about 60-40.

I guess it comes down to how you define "Most". LOL

And WE (as Americans) wonder why American baseball players are getting fewer and fewer in the big leagues! HAMMER on the HEAD of the NAIL!
Last edited by Vance34
quote:
quote:
You mean to say baseball MAKES NO money off of ML? You said they lose money? So if they make no money off of them how can they lose money

Major League teams make no money from the minor league teams. That would be correct! Each minor league team is self supporting. The major league teams actually pay for a minor league agreement with a city. They team also supplies all the equipment and all the player and coaches salaries. They recieve no revenue for having a team in a city.

quote:
you mean that 16 college players of the first round, 18 college players of the second round were drafted to fill rosters? Holy moly, what an incredible waste of money!

Not what I said. What I said was that pro teams don't draft HS players to fill rosters. They draft college and Independent players. I DID NOT say they draft 1st round players or 2nd round players to fill rosters. BUT, the Royals have come close.

quote:
And if they have no intentions of having them make it to MLB, why did they spend money on MOST of them in the first place, oh I forgot, to fill roster spots! Gee, and I thought they were considered prospects

They have all intentions of helping them make it to the ML's. Guys taken that early in the draft would not be roster fillers. I NEVER SAID THAT!

But, but Vance,
You said if you want to go to college go, if you want to be a major league player sign a contract.
So if you sign a contract out of HS that means you will be a major league player and if you go to college you won't, that's what you implied right?
And you also said they draft college players to fill rosters, but then you said they will help the many top college drafted prospects to go to MLB, right? Why wouldn't they?
So fill me in, if you go to college you will not be a MLB, but if you are one of he 30 plus they are paying some big money for this year you might get lucky or you might not.
Isn't that the way it is for everyone Vance?

Are you a scout, with a master's? Did you play MLB, no you couldn't have because most MLB players don't ever attend. I just want to understand where you are coming from.

A former player from where my son goes is a MLB pitcher, so is a short stop from the Padres. As a matter of fact there have been MANY that played MLB (not all at one time)lol. Does that fall under MOST or SOME?

Gee, if someone here followed your great advice, they might even be more confused. Eek
After signing for $500,000 out of Venezuela last year, Yankees outfielder Jose Tabata made a quick impression in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League by hitting .314/.382/.417 and swiping 22 bags.

The 17-year-old has built on that this season at low Class A Charleston, where he was hitting .321/.395/.454 through 293 at-bats and was named to both the South Atlantic League all-star game and the Futures Game.

Tabata has plus tools across the board, starting with an advanced approach at the plate. Tabata uses the whole field effectively, and already has gap power to left-center field. He has plus-plus bat speed and many scouts are projecting plus power to develop in time, though Tabata had just five homers in the Sally League this season.

We caught up with an American League scout in Pittsburgh at this year's Futures Game to give an assessment of what he saw out of arguably the Yankees' most exciting prospect.

"He's a very, very interesting player," the scout said. "He's a plus runner (4.15 seconds to first base) with the ability to hit for a high average. He's got average to above-average arm strength and depending on how he fills out, certainly has the potential to hit for tremendous power. His bat speed and bat-to-ball ability is just that good.

"His swing is very quiet--no wasted movement. He's got very quick hands and strong wrists and seems to have good balance in his approach. The hand-eye is remarkable, and where a lot of guys would be so dialed into that ability to hit for power--and we see so many young players fall in love with that ability, they try to do that every AB--he shows a mature approach, just takes what he's given and launches balls the other way into the gap.

"The age is the thing that makes him so intriguing. You see all these tools now--and they all play--and that's what intrigues you. Is he going to stay at 5-foot-11, 180 (pounds) and be a gap-to-gap guy who can hit balls to all fields with no problem? Or does he grow into that body, become like 6-foot-2, 200 (pounds) and really start to unlock some more of that huge power potential? Everything's in place if he does--the tools are all above-average to plus. And if that happens, we're talking about a monster."
quote:
You said if you want to go to college go, if you want to be a major league player sign a contract.
So if you sign a contract out of HS that means you will be a major league player and if you go to college you won't, that's what you implied right?

I didn't imply anything. You did. Again, what I said is if its about the money then go to school. If its about trying to become a major league player then sign the contract!

quote:
So fill me in, if you go to college you will not be a MLB,
Whew, I said this? NO I DID NOT! I said go to college if its about the money!

Let me ask you something TPM, lets say every player in the draft gets the same bonus. Would your son have been fighting to get on that **** bus to go play! Your **** right he would have!

A serious injury kept me from playing further. And yes I have a masters degree! Do you?

quote:
A former player from where my son goes is a MLB pitcher, so is a short stop from the Padres

And the guy playing in the middle with that Padre SS is a HIGH SCHOOL 4th RD pick that signed for less than 500,000 dollars OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL!

GEE, TPM read what is said and not what you think is said! Then maybe you would understand. Who is your son? Didn't he have Tommy John Surgery? I think I'll call Leggett and get the inside on him.
Last edited by Vance34
Vance,
My last response to you. In this thread as in others, you seem to imply that we are all jerks, you know who I am, I don't know who you are. So coming on here spewing advice ( some of what you say makes sense, other times you talk in circles) but if someone DOES NOT agree with your thinking, you get pretty testy. I am tired of you thinking we are idiots, not just here but where ever you post.

You don't like when someone misinterprets what you say, you have done the same thing here.
This topic is about choices, I am trying to explain that there are choices. Choice is based on circumstances for each individual, sometimes money is involved in the choice, sometimes not. The impression you give is that your chances of making it to MLB is less if you went to college. In the end, you and I know, that who makes it makes it most likely whether they went to college or straight out of HS.

Son DID not have TJS, and you can call Jack, I think that he too will tell you that college for many is a good choice, considering he has had almost 100 players drafted in his term at Clemson. Did all of them become MLB players, no, but many of them got chances, the same chances one has coming out of HS.

And btw, my education has NOTHING to do with this topic. Besides, I have until 90 to go back to school (according to you), and at 55, I haven't decided what to do yet.

Understand, you do NOT have to be in the business of baseball to understand the realities of college recruiting and the MLB draft.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
my education has NOTHING to do with this topic

Then WHY did mine?

If you'll look at what I said. It is all about choices. My comment again was "If its about the MONEY go to school. If its about trying to play in the big leagues then sign the contract."

To many American players (and Good ones to) make pro baseball the last resort and not the priority.

We deal with it every year. High school kids/ parents saying "if you'll give me a Million or 2 million or even 3 or 4 million then I'll sign a contract. Its about the money and that Camp should go to school. We hear them say "yes I wanta be a big leaguer BUT I wanta go have fun in college first because my chances aren't good for making it to the big leagues. But, I'll be ready in 3 years. Then if not then after their Senior years. Then next thing you know they are calling every scout and begging for a chance at pro ball.

Its the parents/ kid that say my priority is becoming a big league player. Draft me where I should be drafted and pay me whats fair for where I am picked and I'm ready to go. "Where's the bus".

Pro baseball wants players who WANT it worse than anything else in life. I, nor any scout, have an issue with kids going to college.

Which brings to mind a Clemson player who may have a different perspective if you asked him today. Patrick Boyd.

I don't know about you, but walking away from alot of money and college money to is hard to realize.

quote:
And if you are a professional and in the business, business must be pretty slow, because I CAN'T imagine why an educated ex professional with a MASTER's degree is posting all day long on a High school baseball web!

Well, if you KNEW the business as you say you do then you would have realized that I'm doing professional coverage out of my home state and see one game(a minor league game)a night. Then I spend all day each day writing reports on those players that I see. I take breaks to contribute here. TPM, don't make an issue with me then demand that the same issue not be made with you!
VANCE

What does a kid from another country have to do with this discussion --we are talking USA kids coming out of HS and making a decision--sign or not when drafted !!!

By the way you are getting the "Doggie Syndrome" of not being able to answer questions when asked--- answer TPM--be a man about it even if she might be smarter than you !!!
TR HIT. There is no hope for you in understanding the point of view. I said I agree with you. Here I'll say it again. I agree with you.

Go to college. The issue is that foreign players have a priority of playing in the big leagues. American players(for the most part) only have it as a LAST RESORT. Its all good. My issue is with the parents and player for not saying in January. "Hey scouts, I'm going to college unless (as you would say) you give me 5 million dollars. That way we scouts don't have to waste time on them all spring!

So be honest in January and not after all the work has been done for NOT!

Again, go to school. I'll scout you in college and so will everyone else.
Oh my I have to agree with Vance, we have had discussions about being HONEST from early on. Make your choices for the RIGHT reasons, not wait until you see your bonus.

And since you brought it up, latin players from other countries do make up a large portion of the baseball pro community. You don't need a MASTER'S degree to figure that out, some have no choice.
And while we are at it, less college players in MLB because they had a CHOICE later on, do I hang around or continue for more years. Many have degrees, most almost all their degrees and something to fall back on. They have less staying power. A player after HS who has already given many years, doesn't have too many other options and you know as well as I many don't take advantage of the scholarship program.
I don't get into discussing players regardless, and it shouldn't be done by a professional on this site. This site is not for scouts to give reports on players, on what they should or shouldn't have done. I think some need to take lessons from those that are in the business who come here as professionals and conduct themselves as such as are not afraid to let us know who they are. You need to take some scout etiquette lessons from Doug (bbscout). He gives good advice,some don't always agree with him, I have never heard him mention one player or been negative towards a player's options. He has said the same as you, you want to play pro ball sign, you want to go to college go to college, period. But in a much kinder and gentler parent friendly way.JMO.
You as a scout have every right to state how you feel about the draft, but should be in a helpful way, for parents to be able to help their sons decide which is best for them.
You as a scout feel that only ones who will sign for anything are what you are looking for, I would ASSUME we all understand that. But in no means let anyone feel that if their choice is of anothr option, it's wrong.
As a professional you should know better than that on all of the above.
Now back to work!
Last edited by TPM
TPM, Thanks. BUT, as I have said before. Tell the scouts up front what it is you wanta do. Don't be misleading. No where on any post have I made have I been misleading. NO, I haven't said that a player should sign for anything. thats just how you, TPM, took it. No choice is wrong at the moment. But a few years later most of us have said on at least one choice that maybe we should have done that instead of this. Don't put words in my mouth, please!

Again, if its about MONEY. GO to school. It its about trying to be a big leaguer then sign a contract.

Its a very simple choice and for all the reasons you mention. Mainly, that only a few get BIG money to sign but it is far more than the 30 players a year that you mention. But 500,000 isn't pocket change either.

Sure they don't take advantage of the scholarship program. But again THAT is their CHOICE not to use it. Its there for them to use.

In America we are so lucky that most of us have family to fall back on even as we get older. I was lucky enough to have parents that helped me and encouraged me to get my MASTERS DEGREE. They even helped by paying some of my bills and not any school bills. They were there for me. Becasue they had the means and even if they didn't they would have found a way to help me arrive at those ends.

Foreign players aren't nearly as fortunate in that regard. Hell, we go over there and setup camps with dorms and with schools and with teachers. They want a better life and playing in the big leagues can help them and their family have one.

So do we knock them having no other choice. No, but do we as Americans have to make it a last resort because we have it so good (for the most part), NO!
Last edited by Vance34
I edited my post see above.

I often wonder why, this great American business of MLB, doesn't set up dorms and camps here, for our own. Then we wouldn't have parents in a quandry about where to go seeking the best to teach our kids.

I think that is why you do get many players who do not sign out of HS.
Last edited by TPM
TPM, there set up on every corner in America. We as Americans DO educate our own. Didn't your son attend a high school?

TPM, maybe you should take a trip to the Dominican and you will see!

quote:
I think that is why you do get many players who do not sign out of HS.

No it's not! They already have the best of everything and didn't even have to work for it to boot!
Last edited by Vance34
I wasn't going to weigh in on this subject because I don't think there's an absolute answer one way or another but I thought about Vance's theoretical question if ALL bonuses were the same regardless of draft round would players opt to sign rather than go to college? I have to say I believe just the opposite would
occur. If I have the opportunity to get 3 years of college under my belt and play baseball at the same time
and probably(more than likely) become a better ballplayer, it would be a no-brainer. At the end of those 3 years I'm still going to get the same bonus as I would've from HS. Why would I NOT go to college if I felt the college education and experience were important? I actually think THIS is what would happen--Those players who don't have a burning desire to go to college would immediately sign and those who DO have the desire for college would attend school. It would certainly weed out players from college teams who are only going to enhance their Pro value. Now that I think about it, I think that would be a great idea--all the guys
in rookie ball would have the same goal and all the college guys the same as well--just maybe a little side trip to experience a little more before turning Pro. Smile

Am I off-base on this?
If you are talking about educating for baseball in HS, I don't think most will agree with you. Baseball in HS is an EXTRA curricular activity.

Many familie here in America DO nOT have options to prepare their sons for baseball. You don't have to spend a fortune, but you cannot rely on HS. That is the reason why so many go to college, some to prepare better for a chance to play at a higher level. There is nothing wrong with that.

The point here, lost a long time ago, is to work hard in school on and off the field. I know many players who didn't get a second look out of HS, who got drafted after 3 years in college. They grew, tehy matured, and they had great instruction (yes you can get great instruction in college) Many choose that reason over going pro out of HS and it is not a bad choice.
I would say before the draft, I felt different about things than I do now. It WAS about the money, no we couldn't see him giving up his opportunity working with the coaches at Clemson for what anyone was offering. But son had a great situation, a win win sort of thing. He couldn't lose, and if it meant not going beyond college ball, so be it. And if he gets offered less next time around, so be it. Doesn't mean he won't have a shot. Doesn't mean he DOES NOT want to make it his profession. In his case I think it worked out well, he has had a great time, and being prepared for the next level. It's not that way for everyone, I know that. But just an example of how important your GPA will become later on for options.

Moc,
I agree with you.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
As usual TR HIT your clueless. I have a masters degree.

quote:

Do you really know how dumb that statement is?

You can always go to college (its free, the club will pay for it) and if you hire someone to invest your money it will last many many years. However if you wanta give it away to every party stop and every family member you know then of course not.

And on top of that. Tell me where you can get a million dollar bonus before taxes with a graduate degree? There is no such thing.

The right and wrong answer is this, IF ITS ABOUT MONEY GO TO SCHOOL. IF ITS ABOUT TRYING TO BECOME A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYER SIGN A PRO CONTRACT.

I agree with some of what you say, but not all. If education is your number one priority, then go to college. If baseball is your number one priority, then sign. When I say this, I am assuming that you are a player that is wanted by pro ball out of high school.

A million dollars is a pipe dream.....about 35 guys in the whole world get that much to sign each year. as far as the college scholarship plan goes, if you are a good prospect, you won't be going to college in the fall any time soon. You will be in Instructional league as a new player and later on in a winter league and that is why I said what I said in my second sentence.
quote:
If education is your number one priority, then go to college. If baseball is your number one priority, then sign

I said something different? No I didn't.

If its about the money, GO TO SCHOOL. IF its about trying to become a ML player then sign the contract. When its about the money the Priority is the money and going to school its not about being a ML player.
TPM, whats great about pro baseball is that a scout will like you based on projectable potential when your in high school because you can still be a good distance from reaching your overall ceiling. So it doesn't matter that you didn't produce to your potential in high school. Something your familiar with! So when you go to college and still don't perform to that projectable potential and you are now 3-4 years closer to your ceiling and many times have reached it by then. You now become a Senior draft and a roster filler if you get lucky!
quote:
quote:
If education is your number one priority, then go to college. If baseball is your number one priority, then sign

I said something different? No I didn't.

If its about the money, GO TO SCHOOL. IF its about trying to become a ML player then sign the contract. When its about the money the Priority is the money and going to school its not about being a ML player.

You sure did say something different and it is right here in black ink.
Just got in from GCL game, Dodgers vs Marlins.
BBscout, if there are any players in Nationals GCL camp you would like for me to update you on, it will be an honor, sir.

I have refrained from getting involved too much in this thread but just let me say this, if a player, out of HS, can think about nothing but the money opposed to the opportunity, I have a hard time promoting him anyway. Just last night, Paul M. and I had a long phone conversation and discussed the reality of the professional aspects of the "Money Game" filtering down to the amateur level. This is sad but true and an investment will bring what the market will bear and fortunately for the very few, those top 35 picks every year get the "Pipe Dream" leaving the rest of each team's slot money budget allowance kinda skewed for the rest of the draft selections. There are exceptions to the rule because of signability issues and other factors as in draft picks not signing giving others further down the line an opportunity to get a little and sometimes even a lot more! I say, good for them! If Chris Huseby can get 1.25Million as a 11th round pick, God Bless him! Good for him. Smile I guess I'm kinda double talking in the sense of the money involved and do not mean to come across as against the system because just like anything else in life, you have to roll with it and accept or reject it and not be double-minded. I accept the system as it is personally and know that the golden days of "When It Was A Game" will never be again for those of us living in today Smile. Shep's .02
Last edited by Shepster
bbscout,
Thank you for making things easy to understand.

Vance,
Thanks for scouting lesson 101, I think most of us here realize that. It has been discussed over and over on several threads. Players take chances of losing their future potential in college, I think many are aware. Which amazes me because many who know that still go onto college, knowing the chances. That's why many have ADVISORS.

Shep,
You don't think that Huseby getting drafted in the 14th and getting a nice bonus just "happened". I am assuming maybe this was a possible deal done in advance, because they didn't pick in every round and waiting until the 14th allowed them to give him a larger bonus. I think we know that too, but thanks for putting that in there!

Vance,
We know what bbscout does and who he works for, we know what Shep does, what about you?
Jeff, If a kid wants to go to school, money is not any big deal to him.......education is number one to him and baseball is a reward that he gets in the form of a scholarship and a chance to play ball at the college level.

What Vance said is in black and white. He said if it is about the money, go to college. That is not even close to what I said. If it is about the money, you won't make it anyway.

I am not talking about about the 35-40 guys who get a million.
quote:
Originally posted by swingbuilder:
Hey Tiger Mom. I know for a fact that you know all about agentts and advisors. How many have you had? Find one that see's it like you yet?

Vance is right on in my opinion and so is Doug and Shep!

I don't have ONE, but thanks for the inquiry.

And your 6th post here was WAY out of line. Another professional pro scout!
Last edited by TPM
Please bear with me on this Subject, and I will try to express
my thought' as clearly as possible.

I've been reading the post's hear on HSBBW, for awile now.
And most everybody has said get an Education before you go Pro, So you have something to fall back on. In case you get Injured are just can't make it to the next Level.
Now I understand the Scout's point of View. As far as being a Top Pick. Take the Money go to school Later.

But would it be a Bad Thing in the Scout's Eye's If said Player was a DNF, And choose to Go to a D1 after being Drafted.
What Guarentee does the Player Have that the Club that Drafted him will sign him to a reasonable contract, After just 1 year at JUCO.
Now Maybe said Player does want to play Pro ball and Money has nothing to do with it.
But the Offer of D1, Was to good to pass up.
And said Player feel's they would be better prepared for the Grind of the Minor League's if they had a couple of year's to Mature.
I'm just trying to See what the Scout's think on this Subject.
I know it's your Lively Hood and I don't blame you for wanting to sign quality player's, that you project out of HS.
Does it hurt the DNF player to opt for a Couple of year's of seasoning in the college rank's.
Would it not be better for the Pro Organization to have a seasoned player, which is Phsyically, and Mentally tougher. EH
quote:
Hey Tiger Mom. I know for a fact that you know all about agentts and advisors. How many have you had? Find one that see's it like you yet?

That was a pretty mean thing to say. If you are one sided in your beliefs then you will never learn from others who don't always agree with you. Try to keep an open mind Smile
This is always an interesting topic of discussion, though it's too bad when the discussion gets a bit rude. Thank you bbscout for always being a voice of reason and very professional. Your depth of experience and your comments here are really appreciated.

The one point that I keep agreeing with throughout the arguments back and forth is that it is a very personal decision and each player needs to decide what his priorities are.

What is your favorite food? I may be allergic to it. What is my favorite food? You may hate it!

What is your dream career? Oh, that sounds boring to me! What is the best job I've ever had? That sounds like torture to you!

There are adults who chose careers because they paid well and ended up bored and unhappy. Others chose a career that was their passion, like medicine or law, and just happened to make very good money at it. How would anyone looking from the outside know how that person arrived at their career decision, money or love?

How important is it to go to college right after high school and earn that degree? I earned a BA right after HS and have always worked in professional jobs, but never one that was directly related to my degree. My husband earned his degree in his 30s while we had two very young children and we were both working fulltime, and his degree directly earned him his current career which is an excellent fit for him and also pays well. My son is a 20-yr-old RHP who didn't really think college was right for him, but went anyway because he wanted to play college baseball. He is now halfway through his college baseball "career" and almost halfway to his degree. Let's say in a few years he was offered the following choice of careers:

$100,000/yr as a computer programmer or business manager,
$50,000/yr as a college baseball coach, or
$10,000/yr (or less) to play minor league baseball.

I know the order in which he would choose:
#1 = $10K play baseball
#2 = $50K coach baseball
#3 = $100K any non-baseball desk job

Does that make him noble for having a dream and not caring about money - or foolish? Does it make your son greedy if his choice of the jobs would be the reverse order - or wise?

It's a very personal choice, and what is right for one person is not right for another. I know that's been said before... Wink
Last edited by MN-Mom
Right or wrong should not even enter the equation...it's stictly a personal decision based on an "individuals" desire, priorities and goals in life. Because an accountant may have had an opportunity to be a financial advisor or stock broker, does it make his decision to be an accountant wrong or bad... No, it's what HE wanted out of life and something HE was comfortable with.

I also believe kids coming out of H.S. are well aware of the slim odds of ever making it to the big show...since I can't imagine it's a kids desire to be a career minor leaguer, there is likely to be some doubt in the back of their minds about going pro which may also play into their decision making. Thus many will opt for the college education and experience which also allows them to play the game they love on an
even higher level and whatever happens beyond that is gravy in their eyes. JMHO
My son is still young (heading into his junior year) and has always had the goal of playing professionally. Not sure if it will happen for him but if a he is offered an opportunity to play pro and accepts the offer, and part of the offer includes college tuition, is it possible for a player to attend any college classes at all during the years he is playing minor league ball? I thought that I had heard somewhere that the possibility existed to complete a few credit hours each year.
THE EH, if the DNF player chooses to attend the D1, which by the way happens all the time, then that DNF player would no longer be a DNF player. The club that drafted him would loose his rights when he walked into that first D1 class. Now that DNF player who is no longer a DNF player would not be elgible for the draft until after his Junior year at that D1.

FloridaFan, most young players that sign a pro contract prefer to spend their off seasons working out and lifting. When the minor league season is over in the 1st week of September most guys come home for a few weeks then head to instructional league. It varies for each club and a few don't even have an instructional program anymore. But, with todays technology you can take courses on line or you can take courses at a institution of higher learning that operates on the quarter system. You could take a full course load in that winter quarter.
quote:
THE EH, if the DNF player chooses to attend the D1, which by the way happens all the time, then that DNF player would no longer be a DNF player. The club that drafted him would loose his rights when he walked into that first D1 class. Now that DNF player who is no longer a DNF player would not be elgible for the draft until after his Junior year at that D1.

I thought (at a D-1) it was after junior year - or 21 years old - whichever comes first.

???
Itsinthegame, thats correct. The rule is that any player is elgible if his birthday falls on a date before or within 45 days of the completion of that years draft.

Example: Draft is June 6 and 7. Said players birth date is July 10 of the same year. If that was his 21st birthday then he would be elgible for the draft that just happened the month before.
Last edited by Vance34
quote:
Originally posted by ahs_bb '09:
I'd say the best bet is to go to college to develop skills more and then advance in pro.

If you don't have a college degree and you set out to play pro ball, what if a career-ending injury happens? what will be the source of income?

just my 2 cents

What if you get a career ending injury early in college? Hopefully you can pay to finish your education.

The MLB scholarship allows you to chase your dream and have college paid for in case of the career ending inury. I know a lot of kids don't use it but that's on them.

I also feel that after a few years on the road, sleeping in hotels after high school might help you grow up and decide what you really want to do after baseball.

Just my opinion though
Last edited by wvmtner
Vance, to revisit this topic, let me restate my prior question and see if you'll answer it this time.

Did Andrew Miller make a mistake when he did not sign out of high school?

His "slot money" might've been as much as $800,000 then.

After three years enjoying college, he just got a minimum of $3.5 million, a guaranteed Sept. callup, and opportunities to earn millions more.

Maybe he gambled a bit on not getting an arm injury over the past 3 years. But if he gambled, it sure looks to me like he won big.

Basically, over the past three years he got an education, a trip to Omaha, and an additional $2.7 mill plus incentives and perks. Name me one kid who signed out of high school who got that much out of his first three years in the minors.
Andrew Miller also played two years on the cape and received honors for that and BA's College Player of the Year.
He is certainly did well for himself going to college first.
His height, his velocity, projectibility and being left handed didn't hurt either. Big Grin
Last edited by TPM
Midlo, you have a very valid point. Again, I have not put either choice in a negative lite. I merely said " If its about the money, go to school" Obviously it was about the money to Miller. Thats why he went to school.

Now let me ask you this. If Miller would have signed, he may have already been in the big leagues. Sure he is getting a September call up. But will he pitch? He can also go right back to A ball next spring too.

I do not have an issue with going to school, I went to school first! Again, I merely said if your sole purpose is to sign for ALOT of money then you should go to school. I also said if your sole purpose is to try and become a big leaguer then sign the contract. Thats all I said. Don't read anymore into it than that.

quote:
Name me one kid who signed out of high school who got that much out of his first three years in the minors.

Midlo, The list is long! Wonder how much money Griffey Jr has in his bank account? and wonder what a college degree would do for him financially? and wonder if he would prefer a Major League World Series or a college world series? Wonder what Robin Yount would say?

Look the list are long for both. Again, I have no issue other than if your intentions are to attend school and thats the bottom line then don't wait till the draft to tell someone. Tell that important piece of information in January. Thats all I would like.
One thing I see is an alarming number of arm problems/injuries for these kids be it out of HS or College.

Verlander just had to sit and he had acknwledged arm problems coming out of college

Look at Prior and Wood !!!

Are we rushing these kids to the bigs?---are they ready for the work and innings involved before they get their bodies ready for it ?
Last edited by TRhit
I am with you on this one TR. That's why, especially for a pitcher, it is a personal decision, as is the decision as to where you will play in college and what type of training and conditioning program you will be on while in college. And I don't get the philosophy of two way players in college, that's a killer if you ask me. Many of these pitchers were throwing mid-high 90's in college, HS with curveballs and sliders.
The pitfalls of a college pitcher, if you are good, is a heavy workload. Verlander, I do beleive had a huge workload in college, as did many others. I see the workload of some college pitchers, well over 100 innings in a season and then onto summer ball, back to work in fall practice, it takes a toll after a while.
Same for HS pitchers with heavy and frequent workloads and the pitches they throw.
This (pro or college choice out of HS) is an issue that many kids face one time. There is not a wrong answer. Some of the answers may have to do with the value of an education, or perhaps signing for bonus money, the desire to play college baseball, etc. What one kid decides to do may not be right for the neighbor kid, but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

The realities of being a pitcher means that at some point there will be health issues with the arm, whether that be elbow or shoulder.

The Verlander situation is not related at all to injury or soreness.....Leyland said he had planned to do this, especially with the big lead in the standings. Verlander's quote following his last game, regarding his arm, was that it felt the "best it had in a long time." You can expect Leyland to do it again with Verlander, Robertson, Bonderman, and even Miner again at least once more before the playoffs begin.

Leyland is trying to make sure his pitchers remain healthy....similar to what my son's college coach has done.......he hasn't thrown more than 100 pitches in a college game yet in almost fifty appearances, including several starts.
Last edited by grateful
http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/draft/dr_06_06_29_signingbonuses.aspx

Click the above URL site and tell me what you think board. I'll let you be the judge and will remain mutual and unbiased. My wife says it's a no-brainer Big Grin peace, Shep

PS-I couldn't resist. Don't know about ya'll, but I could pay for several college educations in top ten round money for most draft and signs I see here on PG Cross-Checkers list.

So much for the theory I have heard here which says, "only the top few picks are getting any worthwhile bonus money". Looking at this years drafts and actual signs, that appears to be a huge monetary misconception.
Peace Shep
Last edited by Shepster
Shep,
Again, you keep bringing up the money issue with the bonus bucks. Very few get rich from signing bonus, we all know the big $$ come later on, when and if you do make it. And signing bonus' are WAY down from what tehy used to be, the result, more and more going to college first, because it is a lot about the signing bonus to them and their parents.

How about this scenerio, which could be a very USUAL one. A HS player drafted in the 14th round, gets 140K, his college education would have been paid mostly by a great scholarship, to top 10 school. I haven't heard or seen his name mentioned once in three years, if he had gone to college you would know who he is, he was a top ranked player in HS. Good choice?

Obviously for HIM it was, he wanted to go pro more than go to college (this was not a pitcher by the way but a hitter who could have gotten his at bats in college), but for others, may not be the right choice.

Don't continue to place a price tag on it. Go back and read Gratefuls first paragraph.

And why would you have to pay for a college education when there is the MLB scholarship program, a good selling point for going pro, right?

College vs. pro is about knowing what you really want to do, though for a HS player never away from home may be difficult. It's important to talk about it early and NOT string others along until your name is called. If you really want to go pro and work, SIGN. But if you also want to go pro and earn most of your degree, experience college life and the college baseball experience, it CAN be accomplished just by seeing how many players ARE drafted out of college.

Discussion is good, always. It's important for parents and player to know the issues on both sides of the coin toss. However, this Is NOT a MLB or minor league website, this is a site where most of our players WILL go to college first. FYI, we didn't even have a thread for pro players, but many of the parents who first came here many moons ago, have college players who have gone pro.

I look upon the scout the same as a college recruiter, they are BOTH salesman, one selling their school the other selling his team. Each tends to leave out lots of the particulars in the visit. If it wasn't so confusing, people wouldn't be here asking questions. I found MOST scouts to be more up front than some college recruiters, but only because we had done our homework asked questions and I did here on teh HSBBW. MANY players I know who turned down going pro was NOT because they really wanted to go to college, but because they didn't get offered what they felt they were worth. A FEW players I know turned down really BIG money because they really wanted to go to college first.
That's why we have the HSBBW, so some of us can give information (not all good, not all bad) for those that have questions. I as a PARENT with a son who had to make a tough decision will always tell someone, if asked, the good and the bad on both sides. For mine, the college experience is turning out to be a great one and he is happy. I am sure if he had gone pro out of HS he would be happy as well. Did we want him to go to college first, yes, he was a very good student, if things would have been different, a fair student who didn't do well with a lesser oportunity, most probably he would have been drafted in the 6th, 7th round and signed. So I am NOT entirely PRO college, just want to let parents know there is an upside and a downside to any decision their son will make.

JMO
Last edited by TPM
TPM says Smile
quote:
College vs. pro is about knowing what you really want to do, though for a HS player never away from home may be difficult. If you really want to go pro and work, SIGN. But if you really want to go pro and earn most of your degree, experience college life and the college baseball eperience, it CAN be accomplished just by seeing how many players ARE drafted out of college.

Shep says Smile Why risk losing bonus money offered on table now due to injury or stock going down while living college life and having to fullfill rigorous academic responsibilities. Let's face it, a great many student athletes are there for many other reasons with all the fraternities and campus life all around them. Why receive a degree and go through grueling and competetive interviews against hundreds of others for a job with no guarantee of even getting it if you don't have to. There is no guarantee of financial security upon graduation. Why go through the pain and hardship of passing up a lifetime of wages for many when it's right there lined up on the table in front of you. Imagine this, a 17-18 yr old draftee with 10,000 one-hundred dollar bills lined up in front of him being offered by a professional MLB team when he has depended on mom and dad all his life. He has an opportunity to give back to his parents and have a self-supporting life of his own. Family of his own with a lifetime of wages to get started with. You can't beat that! Isn't this the AMERICAN DREAMwe have all come to know and strive to achieve?? Turning down a lifetime of wages(MLB Substantial Bonus) is like winning a lottery and not claiming the prize if you turn it down if you are not already wealthy.

Go back up to my earlier post and click URL again for top ten rounds as a reminder.

I can give you dozens of examples of student/athlete college grads I know who have been interviewing with no success in finding job. These are good quality people I'm speaking of here who didn't party in college but didn't get a chance to even play baseball professionally as a late-rounder or sign as a free agent. Why not get the financial security for your "life" while you can?? Just think about the following: wife, kids, house, bank account, job, help my mom get a dishwasher or maybe even buy her a house Smile for all she has done...Don't deny yourself this ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY if that chance comes, take it! You can finance that 4 or 5 years of being a lifetime college student with no promises later with the interest from your bonus Wink . Shep's .02
Last edited by Shepster
Ahh, what financiaL OPPORTUNITY? Most DO NOT MAKE IT TO THE SHOW. MOST do not get 10,000, 100 hundred dollar bills to spend, only a select few.

I am not talking about turning down the BIG bonus here Shep, I are talking about way less than that, in case you didn't read my post.
Shep

Fact is most kids who have the college deal in their contract never go back to college and thus the pro team saves all that money--there is time limit for the player is there not?

Fact is you are a supposed scout and you get paid if the player signs--ergo the "sign son attitude"

Once in a lifetime opportunity---hogwash--the same can be said for a Division I scholarship which enables 17 year old players to mature at a normal pace---Yes there players who are not interested in college but is their thing, perhaps they are not students-- most kids that are draft picks have the choice -- pro or college-- I know how I feel about it but that is me---

I do not agree with your logic, not in the very least

Look at this --why do we have so many facilties run by "ex pro players"/ They never went back to college and will be running facilities for the rest of their life--you say this a good thing ?

I say unless the money is "life changing", I didnt create that term, then you go to college---what is "life changing" is different for each individual player/family

To say it is a once in a lifetime opportunity is wrong, totally wrong !!!!

Do you have a college education ?
How do you earn a living when you are not employed bu a team or the bureau?

Simple questions but yet important?
Last edited by TRhit
TR

Yes I have a college education that I completed after being released from professional baseball and I also teach school and received Masters while teaching school. This all came "after" pro ball. As I told you in our phone call, I would appreciate anonymity but guess what, you didn't do that. Why am I not surprised? As I mentioned to you in our conversation, I am not on payroll with the bureau and only help a full-time bureau scout who I have known through the Orioles when I helped another full-time Oriole scout for over 10 years while teaching in GA. Are we all clear on that now? I am an associate but that's about to change, this week. But thanks for commenting, good to know.

TPM

I don't look at this opportunity for a HS draftee to sign as a financial opportunity but let's get realistic.
We're talking about no student loans and being independent for a life of your own unless you have money already which in that case you have the choice to roll the dice. Yea sure, it worked out for Andrew Miller, he was the exception and the planets aligned for his career. Many others never get another chance after HS to sign for higher bonuses and very few increase there value as Miller did.

Peace and Good Night,
Shep
My son has been in the top 10 rounds (twice) so I have had to ponder this, research the odds, and put a pencil to it to try to make it work. I have to agree with TPM; not enough money to give up all college has to offer --- but again that is only one person's opinion. I would never tell you it’s a “no brainer” but I will challenge you to do your homework. Having been around a few minor league players the past few years I see where many of these players are spending their signing bonuses and their spending habits don't seem to jive with someone that is preparing to start (or finish) a college education in a few years. Consider too that college is a "lifestyle" that is tailor made for the 18 year old student athlete just coming out of high school instead of a 25 year old ex-minor league ball player that may be married with a family. Again I can accept a player signing out of high school OR a player going to college but we need to look at what typically happens to players, to signing bonuses, and to college educations and allow that historical data to help us decide what route “we” should take. All I ask is each player look at the dollars offered and realize what you are getting and what you are giving up for that dollar amount.
Fungo
quote:
Fact is you are a supposed scout and you get paid if the player signs--ergo the "sign son attitude"

TR hit, Told you this before! Scouts don't get paid when they sign a player. ALL SCOUTS work on SALARY!

WE have so many facilities run by ex players because there are so many adults who will pay them to use those facilities. It is A BUSINESS just like any other business. Doesn't mater what the business is. Have you looked on the corners lately. There are as many different businesses out there as there is opinions. Weren't you in a business tr hit?

IF YOU MAKE IT ABOUT MONEY>>>>>>go to school.

IF YOU MAKE IT ABOUT OPPROTUNITY>>>>go pro.

bottom line. Just stick to your choice and never look back and make the most of the choice you made.
quote:
TR hit, Told you this before! Scouts don't get paid when they sign a player. ALL SCOUTS work on SALARY!

All scouts don't work on salary and I can give you about five examples right here on this HSBBW messageboard who are also associates for MLB teams and make there money other ways as I do. TR just loves to post. Look at how many he has Smile

I will not let this thread consume my life today but would like to respond respectfully to Fungo's response.

Fungo, who you kidding? I realize you have an impeccable image here and everybody thinks you hung the moon Smile maybe I do too for the most part, but, I respectfully have rebuttal sir. Big Grin

What business is it of anybody's what a person does with there signing bonus money?? Who made "us" judge of what a person does or doesn't do in spending habits with there own hard-earned money?? That would be like telling a self-made millionaire..."hey, I don't think you should buy this or that"...give me a break.

In the case of these minor league players you have been around which I certainly do not doubt or cast a shadow on credibilty towards. I believe this is probably the first time many of them have ever had money and you can thank MLB for that occuring. They have been given a stake in life and can drive to the parks, instead of walk. They can spend their own money, instead of beg from mom and dad. They can afford a date, instead of getting left behind at the college dorm. They can have a sense of belonging, instead of being a part of the "have nots". Should I continue? I think everybody gets the gist so I won't but to respond to your request of research. LOW337 started you a thread to look at some stats last night in this forum. Check it out, you may be surprised. My take on what your saying Fungo is there is no amount of money worth by-passing the joys of college and what college has to offer Wink Can you further expound on what the pro draftee and sign is missing out on??? Also, can you also please explain what happens to the college-athlete after this 4-5 year party?? One more thing, can you also tell me where the spending dough is gonna come from when he has absolutely no bargaining power as a college senior if the pros are still interested in the college senior at that point?? Help me understand Fungo since your so quick to side with TPM. Are you two going to take care of the ones who choose college over pro that are flat broke with around 50 thousand dollars of student loans after college?? Just kidding in the "real world" and ultimately the "real world" is centered around a monetary system which requires money to pay for a home or rent, buy groceries and pay the other sometimes very burdensome and numerous bills. You know, like the ones that come from son in college or a car note of a son who is at the campus. Just food for thought and like Vance said, if it's about the opportunity, sign and play pro. I would like to add while at the same time enjoying the trimmings of independence given to you. Don't sign if your only in it for the money. You can get the best of both worlds. peace, Shep
Last edited by Shepster
Baseball Draft
College Baseball
College Prospects
High School Baseball
High School Prospects
Summer Baseball
Youth Baseball
Showcase Events
Home
DRAFT 2006
SIGNING BONUSES, Top 10 Rounds
FIRST ROUND
1 Royals Luke Hochevar RHP $3,500,000
2 Rockies Greg Reynolds RHP $3,250,000
3 Devil Rays Evan Longoria 3B $3,000,000
4 Pirates Brad Lincoln RHP $2,750,000
5 Mariners Brandon Morrow RHP $2,450,000
6 Tigers Andrew Miller LHP $3,550,000
7 Dodgers Clayton Kershaw LHP $2,300,000
8 Reds Drew Stubbs OF $2,000,000
9 Orioles Billy Rowell SS $2,100,000
10 Giants Tim Lincecum RHP $2,025,000
11 Diamondbacks Max Scherzer RHP Unsigned
12 Rangers Kasey Kiser LHP $1,600,000
13 Cubs Tyler Colvin OF $1,475,000
14 Blue Jays Travis Snider OF $1,700,000
15 Nationals Chris Marrero 3B $1,625,000
16 Brewers Jeremy Jeffress RHP $1,550,000
17 Padres Matt Antonelli 3B $1,575,000
18 Phillies Kyle Drabek RHP 1,550,000
19 Marlins Brett Sinkbeil RHP $1,525,000
20 Twins Chris Parmelee OF $1,500,000
21 Yankees Ian Kennedy RHP $2,250,000
22 Nationals Colton Willems RHP $1,425,000
23 Astros Max Sapp C $1,400,000
24 Braves Cody Johnson OF $1,375,000
25 Angels Hank Conger C $1,350,000
26 Dodgers Bryan Morris RHP $1,325,000
27 Red Sox Jason Place OF $1,300,000
28 Red Sox Daniel Bard RHP Unsigned
29 White Sox Kyle McCulloch RHP $1,050,000
30 Cardinals Adam Ottavino RHP $950,000
FIRST ROUND SUPPLEMENTAL
31 Dodgers Preston Mattingly SS $1,000,000
32 Orioles Pedro Beato RHP $1,000,000
33 Giants Emmanuel Burriss SS $1,000,000
34 Diamondbacks Brooks Brown RHP $900,000
35 Padres Kyler Burke OF $950,000
36 Marlins Chris Coghlan 3B $950,000
37 Phillies Adrian Cardenas SS $925,000
38 Braves Cory Rasmus RHP $900,000
39 Indians David Huff LHP $900,000
40 Red Sox Kris Johnson LHP $850,000
41 Yankees Joba Chamberlain RHP Unsigned
42 Cardinals Chris Perez RHP $800,000
43 Braves Steve Evarts LHP $800,000
44 Red Sox Caleb Clay RHP $775,000
SECOND ROUND
45 Royals Jason Taylor SS $762,500
46 Rockies David Christensen OF $750,000
47 Devil Rays Josh Butler RHP $725,000
48 Pirates Mike Felix LHP $725,000
49 Mariners Chris Tillman RHP $680,000
50 Tigers Ronnie Bourquin 3B $690,000
51 Braves Jeff Locke LHP $675,000
52 Reds Sean Watson RHP $670,000
53 Padres Chad Huffman 1B $660,000
54 Cardinals Brad Furnish LHP $600,000
55 Diamondbacks Brett Anderson LHP Unsigned
56 Indians Steven Wright RHP $630,000
57 Indians Josh Rodriguez 3B $625,000
58 Orioles Ryan Adams SS $675,000
59 Nationals Sean Black RHP Unsigned
60 Brewers Brent Brewer SS $600,000
61 Padres Wade LeBlanc LHP $590,000
62 Mets Kevin Mulvey RHP Unsigned
63 Marlins Tom Hickman OF $575,000
64 Twins Joe Benson OF $575,000
65 Phillies Andrew Carpenter RHP $570,000
66 Athletics Trevor Cahill RHP $560,000
67 Astros Sergio Perez RHP $550,000
68 Braves Dustin Evans RHP $530,000
69 Indians Wes Hodges 3B $1,000,000
70 Nationals Stephen Englund SS $515,000
71 Red Sox Justin Masterson RHP $510,000
72 Braves Chase Fontaine SS $500,000
73 White Sox Matt Long RHP $330,000
74 Cardinals Jon Jay OF $480,000
SECOND ROUND SUPPLEMENTAL
75 Indians Matt McBride C $445,000
76 Cardinals Mark Hamilton 1B $465,000
THIRD ROUND
77 Royals Blake Wood RHP $460,000
78 Rockies Keith Weiser LHP $455,000
79 Devil Rays Nick Fuller RHP Unsigned
80 Pirates Shelby Ford 2B $450,000
81 Mariners Tony Butler LHP $445,000
82 Tigers Brennan Boesch OF $445,000
83 Red Sox Aaron Bates 1B $440,000
84 Reds Chris Valaika SS $437,500
85 Orioles Zach Britton LHP $435,000
86 Diamondbacks Dallas Buck RHP $250,000
87 Diamondbacks Cyle Hankerd OF $430,000
88 Rangers Chad Tracy C $427,500
89 Giants Clayton Tanner LHP $425,000
90 Marlins Torre Langley C $422,500
91 Nationals Stephen King SS Unsigned
92 Brewers Cole Gillespie OF $417,500
93 Padres Cedric Hunter OF $415,000
94 Mets Joe Smith RHP $410,000
95 Marlins Scott Cousins OF $407,500
96 Twins Tyler Robertson LHP $405,500
97 Phillies Jason Donald SS $400,000
98 Athletics Matt Sulentic OF $395,000
99 Astros Nick Moresi OF $390,000
100 Braves Chad Rodgers LHP $385,000
101 Indians Adam Davis SS $380,000
102 Angels Russ Moldenhauer OF Unsigned
103 Red Sox Bryce Cox RHP $250,000
104 Yankees Zach McAllister RHP $368,000
105 White Sox Justin Edwards LHP $310,000
106 Cardinals Gary Daley RHP $325,000
FOURTH ROUND
107 Royals Derrick Robinson OF $850,000
108 Rockies Craig Baker RHP $265,000
109 Devil Rays Alex Cobb RHP SIGNED
110 Pirates Jared Hughes RHP $305,000
111 Mariners Ricky Orta RHP $270,000
112 Tigers Ryan Strieby 1B $295,000
113 Dodgers Kyle Orr 1B Unsigned
114 Reds Justin Reed OF $287,000
115 Orioles Blake Davis SS $282,500
116 Giants Ben Snyder LHP $280,000
117 Diamondbacks Bryant Thompson RHP $225,500
118 Rangers Marcus Lemon SS $1,000,000
119 Twins Whit Robbins 1B $265,000
120 Blue Jays Brandon Magee RHP $155,000
121 Nationals Glenn Gibson LHP Unsigned
122 Brewers Evan Anundsen RHP $282,000
123 Padres Nate Culp LHP $257,500
124 Mets John Holdzkom RHP $210,000
125 Marlins Hector Correa RHP $252,000
126 Twins Garrett Olson 3B $250,000
127 Phillies D'Arby Myers OF $250,000
128 Athletics Chad Lee RHP $245,000
129 Astros Chris Johnson 1B $242,500
130 Braves Lee Hyde LHP $235,000
131 Indians Ryan Morris LHP $500,000
132 Angels Clay Fuller OF $227,500
133 Red Sox Jon Still C $225,000
134 Yankees Colin Curtis OF $450,000
135 White Sox Tyler Reves C $160,000
136 Cardinals Eddie Degerman RHP $100,000
FIFTH ROUND
137 Royals Jason Godin RHP $210,000
138 Rockies Helder Velazquez SS $209,000
139 Devil Rays Shawn O'Malley SS $200,000
140 Pirates Patrick Bresnehan RHP $202,500
141 Mariners Nathan Adcock RHP $200,000
142 Tigers Scott Sizemore 2B $197,500
143 Dodgers Kyle Smit RHP $175,000
144 Reds Josh Ravin RHP $200,000
145 Orioles Tyler Henson SS $185,000
146 Giants Michael McBryde OF $180,000
147 Diamondbacks Hector Ambriz RHP $160,000
148 Rangers Chris Davis 1B $172,500
149 Cubs Jeff Samardzija RHP $7,250,000
150 Blue Jays Luke Hopkins 1B $172,500
151 Nationals Cory VanAllen LHP $170,500
152 Brewers Chris Errecart OF $166,000
153 Padres Andy Underwood RHP $167,500
154 Mets Stephen Holmes RHP $168,000
155 Marlins Chris Hatcher C $167,000
156 Twins Devin Shepherd OF Unsigned
157 Phillies Quentin Berry OF $165,000
158 Athletics Jermaine Mitchell OF $155,000
159 Astros Casey Hudspeth RHP $163,000
160 Braves Kevin Gunderson LHP $162,000
161 Indians Chris Archer RHP $161,000
162 Angels Ken Herndon RHP $157,500
163 Red Sox Dustin Richardson LHP $107,000
164 Yankees George Kontos RHP $158,000
165 White Sox John Shelby 2B $157,000
166 Cardinals Shane Robinson OF $175,000
SIXTH ROUND
167 Royals Harold Mozingo RHP $165,000
168 Rockies Kevin Clark OF $150,000
169 Devil Rays Nevin Ashley C $150,000
170 Pirates Jim Negrych 2B $150,000
171 Mariners Adam Moore C $140,000
172 Tigers Jordan Newton C $155,000
173 Dodgers Garrett White LHP $110,000
174 Reds Jordan Smith RHP $152,500
175 Orioles Jason Berken RHP $155,000
176 Giants Ryan Rohlinger SS $40,000
177 Diamondbacks Joey Side OF $145,000
178 Rangers Jacob Brigham RHP $200,000
179 Cubs Josh Lansford 3B $155,000
180 Blue Jays Brian Jeroloman C $165,000
181 Nationals Zech Zinicola RHP $147,500
182 Brewers Brae Wright LHP $31,500
183 Padres Tim Bascom RHP $140,000
184 Mets Scott Schafer RHP $140,000
185 Marlins Justin Jacobs SS $150,000
186 Twins Jeff Christy C $25,000
187 Phillies Dan Brauer LHP $150,000
188 Athletics Andrew Bailey RHP $135,000
189 Astros Bud Norris RHP $140,000
190 Braves Steve Figueroa RHP $125,000
191 Indians Austin Creps RHP $145,000
192 Angels Robert Fish LHP $140,000
193 Red Sox Zach Daeges 3B $30,000
194 Yankees Mitch Hilligoss SS $130,000
195 White Sox Brian Omogrosso RHP $105,000
196 Cardinals Tyler Norrick LHP $45,000
SEVENTH ROUND
197 Royals Brett Bigler OF $130,000
198 Rockies Michael McKenry C $135,000
199 Devil Rays Reid Ryan RHP $145,000
200 Pirates Austin McClune OF $140,000
201 Mariners Doug Fister RHP $50,000
202 Tigers Jonah Nickerson RHP $150,000
203 Dodgers Jaime Ortiz 1B $115,000
204 Reds Justin Turner 2B $50,000
205 Orioles Josh Tamba RHP $142,500
206 Giants Brett Pill 1B $130,000
207 Diamondbacks Daniel Stange RHP $115,000
208 Rangers Grant Gerrard OF $27,500
209 Cubs Steve Clevenger SS $130,000
210 Blue Jays Jon Baksh OF $122,500
211 Nationals Sam Brown RHP Unsigned
212 Brewers Andy Bouchie C $115,000
213 Padres Craig Cooper 1B $25,000
214 Mets Daniel Stegall OF $145,000
215 Marlins Don Czyz RHP $30,000
216 Twins Jonathan Waltenbury 1B Unsigned
217 Phillies Charlie Yarbrough 1B $110,000
218 Athletics Michael Leake RHP Unsigned
219 Astros David Qualben LHP $115,000
220 Braves Adam Coe 3B $107,200
221 Indians Robbie Alcombrack C $160,000
222 Angels Jarrad Page OF Unsigned
223 Red Sox Kris Negron SS $105,000
224 Yankees Tim Norton RHP $85,000
225 White Sox Justin Cassel RHP $88,000
226 Cardinals Luke Gorsett OF $60,000
EIGHTH ROUND
227 Royals Josh Cribb RHP $75,000
228 Rockies Brandon Hynick RHP $90,000
229 Devil Rays Tyree Hayes RHP $127,500
230 Pirates Alex Presley OF $95,000
231 Mariners Steve Richard RHP $70,000
232 Tigers Chris Cody LHP $25,000
233 Dodgers Tommy Giles OF $25,000
234 Reds Travis Webb LHP $90,000
235 Orioles Jedidiah Stephen SS $25,000
236 Giants Matt Klimas C $80,000
237 Diamondbacks Chase Christianson RHP $82,500
238 Rangers Josh Bradbury OF $85,000
239 Cubs Billy Muldowney RHP $98,500
240 Blue Jays Dan O'Brien LHP $90,000
241 Nationals Sean Rooney C $90,000
242 Brewers Shane Hill RHP $145,000
243 Padres Tom King SS $60,000
244 Mets Nathan Hedrick RHP $140,000
245 Marlins Daniel Garcia SS $90,000
246 Twins Brian Dinkelman 2B $13,000
247 Phillies T.J. Warren OF $92,500
248 Athletics Angel Sierra OF $75,000
249 Astros Jimmy Van Ostrand OF $40,000
250 Braves Casey Beck RHP $100,000
251 Indians Mike Eisenberg RHP $83,500
252 Angels Matt Sweeney C $75,000
253 Red Sox Rafael Cabreja OF $65,000
254 Yankees Dellin Betances RHP $1,000,000
255 White Sox Kent Gerst OF $75,000
256 Cardinals Allen Craig SS $15,000
NINTH ROUND
257 Royals Marc Maddox 1B $50,000
258 Rockies Will Harris RHP $16,000
259 Devil Rays Eligio Sonoqui 1B $90,000
260 Pirates Steve McFarland RHP $76,000
261 Mariners Justin Souza RHP $65,000
262 Tigers Zach Piccola LHP $80,000
263 Dodgers Bridger Hunt 3B $60,000
264 Reds Jeremy Burchett RHP $25,000
265 Orioles Brett Bordes LHP $23,500
266 Giants Brian Bocock SS $72,500
267 Diamondbacks Eddie Romero LHP $75,000
268 Rangers Brennan Garr RHP $65,000
269 Cubs Cliff Anderson OF $155,000
270 Blue Jays Cole Figueroa SS Unsigned
271 Nationals Joey Rosas LHP Unsigned
272 Brewers Shawn Ferguson RHP $10,000
273 Padres David Freese 3B $6,000
274 Mets Jeremy Barfield OF Unsigned
275 Marlins John Raynor OF $17,500
276 Twins Sean Land LHP $70,000
277 Phillies Andrew Cruse RHP $75,000
278 Athletics Danny Hamblin 1B Unsigned
279 Astros Greg Buchanan 2B $30,000
280 Braves Tim Gustafson RHP Unsigned
281 Indians Jared Goedert 3B $70,000
282 Angels Nate Boman LHP Unsigned
283 Red Sox Ryan Kalish OF Unsigned
284 Yankees Mark Melancon RHP Unsigned
285 White Sox Chris Duffy 3B Unsigned
286 Cardinals Matt North RHP $150,000
TENTH ROUND
287 Royals Nick Van Stratten OF $65,000
288 Rockies David Arnold RHP $65,000
289 Devil Rays Desmond Jennings OF $150,000
290 Pirates Charles Benoit LHP $55,000
291 Mariners Chris Minaker SS $20,000
292 Tigers Lauren Gagnier RHP $67,000
293 Dodgers Andy D'Alessio 1B Unsigned
294 Reds Josh Roenicke RHP $20,000
295 Orioles Emeel Salem OF Unsigned
296 Giants Ryan Paul LHP $60,000
297 Diamondbacks Tony Barnette RHP $10,000
298 Rangers Craig Gentry OF $10,000
299 Cubs Jake Renshaw RHP $60,000
300 Blue Jays Scott Campbell 2B $65,000
301 Nationals Marcus Salmon C Unsigned
302 Brewers Mike McClendon RHP $60,000
303 Padres Kody Valverde C $3,000
304 Mets Phillips Orta RHP Unsigned
305 Marlins Graham Taylor LHP $10,000
306 Twins Jared Mitchell OF Unsigned
307 Phillies Sam Walls RHP $50,000
308 Athletics Christian Vitters SS $55,000
309 Astros Nathan Karns RHP Unsigned
310 Braves Kris Medlen RHP $85,000
311 Indians Paalo Espino RHP Unsigned
312 Angels Leonardo Calderon LHP SIGNED
313 Red Sox Kyle Snyder RHP Unsigned
314 Yankees Casey Erickson RHP $80,000
315 White Sox Lee Cruz OF $25,000
316 Cardinals Blair Erickson RHP UNSIGNED

Here are the bonuses again. Most of the substantial bonuses are HS signs. Have a great day board and remember Shep cares and peace to all, especially you Fungo Smile
Last edited by Shepster
Shep, full time scouts are Salary only. Part time scouts get paid a min. amount like 3-10 thousand + 500.00 dollars if they recommend a player. BUT if the MLSB turns in the player that the part time guy recomends then the part time guy doesn't get the 500.00 dollars.

SHEP, An Associatte scout is not an employee of the organization. He is enlisted by the area scout to help cover the area scouts area. If you make your money other ways, Thats fine. BUT SHEP....you do not make money or a living when you sign a player. NO SCOUT DOES! Scouts DON"T GET A BONUS WHEN THEY SIGN A PLAYER.
Vance, I beg to differ. You have no idea what your talking about. The Baltimore Orioles had a nice incentive program for bonuses for associates when the player signs and for each level of progression. Like to A then AA and AAA and ultimately Big Leagues. This may have changed with the Orioles but I served them faithfully for about 11 years with those exact same incentives written on my associates contract and the full-time scout I was working for may have been responsble for paying it because I did receive some bonuses, directly from him. Who are you anyway Vance? A moderator thinks your Richard or Linear/infopimp/etc..etc..You seem to be focused on stirring the pot here pal. Later, Big Grin peace, Shep
Last edited by Shepster
Shep, BEG all you want. The fact is this.

Associatte scouts are not employees of the team they help. They help the area scout. They get 500 bucks if they recomend a player and the club signs him...BUT ONLY IF THE MLSB HASN"T TURNED IN THE PLAYER! and ONLY IF THAT PLAYER ALSO IS RETAINED FOR 90 DAYS OF THE SEASON.

SHEP, associatte scouts NO LONGER get compensation when a player moves up from A to AA to AAA. Those were the OLD DAYS!
Old Slugger. Correct. They(associate scout) has a full time day job (whatever that may be)and helps the area guy because of his love for the game after his work hours.

AND you'll not see many area scouts paying 500 bucks out of their pockets to an Associatte scout either. That 500 bucks gets paid for by a check from the front office of the team that the full time scout works for.

The MLSB turns in everybody now a days so I'd bet there wasn't 5 checks combined by all the clubs that were paid out to an associate scout this past year.
Last edited by Vance34
Vance34,

You are only one, you have your opinions, and I have mine. Mine are based on facts and your's are based on heresay.

Since you will not identify yourself to the board, I'm out pal, snipe all you want because I have a scouting trip to prepare for that I bet you won't be eligible to attend. Have a good day Vance-Richard-Linear...whoever.

Vance34, till you identify yourself, I cannot in good faith believe a word you say. I did get your PM but that doesn't tell me who you are.
Later Gator, Peace from the Shep
Last edited by Shepster
quote:

IF YOU MAKE IT ABOUT MONEY>>>>>>go to school.

IF YOU MAKE IT ABOUT OPPROTUNITY>>>>go pro.

bottom line. Just stick to your choice and never look back and make the most of the choice you made.

I agree. And I certainly wouldn't want my son to sign and get money so he can buy me a new dishwasher Eek
I would only wish that many would be able to sign in an early round, for the opportunity of being a better prospect with his/their organizations (though that IS NOT always the case). Bonus is to make your life a bit more comforable. Getting placed on a 25 man roster is the icing on the cake,should be the ultimate goal, then all good things come and you can buy your mom either a dishwasher or a house. Big Grin
In case you didn't notice, large portion who made good on signing bonus were out of college, early rounds. The money drops significantly in the fifth.
I resent your remarks to Fungo. Before I began posting, he was one of the parents who often gave advice, mostly always presenting both sides of the issue. I have learned a lot from him, as one parent to another, much more than he will ever know. He last sentence is essentially what he has always stated.
Shep,
It seems to me you are suggesting someone signs only for the bonus. That's a great suggestion if it was a perfect world.
ML players average time is 4 years in the majors. Arod, Bonds, Maddux, Clemens, Sheffield, etc. are exceptions to that time.

Young players (HS) and their families need to understand the system, how it works, how long it takes to get to where you want to go, what you have to do to get there, then make a very important decision that will impact the rest of his life. Presenting bonus round money to a young player is not appropriate to make him sign, unless of course it's for a significant amount. He should want to sign because he wants to play ball and be a PROFESSIONAL. He should want to sign because he prefers that be his choice, after doing homework. He should want to sign whether he was given a 1000 dollars or a million. Any second thoughts about it, go to school.
Yes, parents of college students and their parents have to make significant contributions. I am thinking if son signed out of HS for what was offered, as Dad 04 suggests below, I would still be making the car payment.

This post has been edited.

OS8,
Good criteria.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Don't know about ya'll, but I could pay for several college educations in top ten round money for most draft and signs I see here on PG Cross-Checkers list.

quote:
He has an opportunity to give back to his parents and have a self-supporting life of his own. Family of his own with a lifetime of wages to get started with.

quote:
Just think about the following: wife, kids, house, bank account, job, help my mom get a dishwasher or maybe even buy her a house for all she has done...Don't deny yourself this ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY if that chance comes, take it!

quote:
We're talking about no student loans and being independent for a life of your own

Shep, I appreciate your rebuttal but I see it as nothing more than the opinion of someone with a vested interest in promoting professional baseball over a college education. Re-read my post. I make no suggestion as to HOW a player should or should not spend their signing bonus. However your posts do suggest they spend that money on college educations and dishwashers and houses for their mothers. I say it is their money and they can spend it as they wish --- as most do. It has been discussed at length on the HSBBW that few players start and complete their college education AFTER professional baseball --- There are a few exceptions with you being one and I commend you for your accomplishment.
I don't have data to support my view that more players go to college first and then into pro ball than would go to pro ball out of high school and then on to college after they were released. Like I said I have no data but I would still wager my signing bonus against your college degree that I'm right. Big Grin
Shep

The only bonus amount relevant to a draftee is the amount on his contract, not what somebody last year got. Most of the kids signing are not getting rich, but actually struggling to survive financially on their bonus and $1100 a month during the season.

Frankly, I'm not sure many of them are actual professional athletes. If mom's still paying you car payment you are not a professional athlete, imo.
This topic seems to come up here a few times each year. I’ve never understood the debate. People will do whatever they want if the opportunity exists. And whatever they do, is good enough for me!

Many times I’ve been asked to give advice to parents regarding this topic of Pro vs College. The standard answer (possibly someone on here has heard it) Can’t advise… one way or the other. Why? Because no matter what advice you might give it could turn out to be the wrong advise!... In any particular case, for many different reasons!

The only good advice is to consider everything and make a decision and live with it!

There are thousands of high school kids who would gladly give up college to play professional baseball. Not for the money, but for the opportunity! There are many who would not give up college for anything. Neither way is wrong!

While money is very important… It’s an individual thing… I really like those kids who are willing to play for practically nothing. In this day and age it might not be very wise, but there are lots of kids who don’t want to do anything more than just play baseball. Might be risky, but is there anything wrong with that? I wish there were even more of those kind. Oddly enough some of those types end up getting the big bonus’ anyway. There really are kids who have received millions of dollars that would have signed for very little! We know lots of them! Being signable can, and often does, have it’s advantages!
quote:
Originally posted by Shepster:
2004Dad, with all due respect to you and your son, this is this years signing bonuses. I put up again before they get buried in the resentments Big Grin Here ya go, top ten rounds.

DRAFT 2006
SIGNING BONUSES, Top 10 Rounds
FIRST ROUND
1 Royals Luke Hochevar RHP $3,500,000
2 Rockies Greg Reynolds RHP $3,250,000
3 Devil Rays Evan Longoria 3B $3,000,000
4 Pirates Brad Lincoln RHP $2,750,000
5 Mariners Brandon Morrow RHP $2,450,000
6 Tigers Andrew Miller LHP $3,550,000
7 Dodgers Clayton Kershaw LHP $2,300,000
8 Reds Drew Stubbs OF $2,000,000
9 Orioles Billy Rowell SS $2,100,000
10 Giants Tim Lincecum RHP $2,025,000
11 Diamondbacks Max Scherzer RHP Unsigned
12 Rangers Kasey Kiser LHP $1,600,000
13 Cubs Tyler Colvin OF $1,475,000
14 Blue Jays Travis Snider OF $1,700,000
15 Nationals Chris Marrero 3B $1,625,000
16 Brewers Jeremy Jeffress RHP $1,550,000
17 Padres Matt Antonelli 3B $1,575,000
18 Phillies Kyle Drabek RHP 1,550,000
19 Marlins Brett Sinkbeil RHP $1,525,000
20 Twins Chris Parmelee OF $1,500,000
21 Yankees Ian Kennedy RHP $2,250,000
22 Nationals Colton Willems RHP $1,425,000
23 Astros Max Sapp C $1,400,000
24 Braves Cody Johnson OF $1,375,000
25 Angels Hank Conger C $1,350,000
26 Dodgers Bryan Morris RHP $1,325,000
27 Red Sox Jason Place OF $1,300,000
28 Red Sox Daniel Bard RHP Unsigned
29 White Sox Kyle McCulloch RHP $1,050,000
30 Cardinals Adam Ottavino RHP $950,000
FIRST ROUND SUPPLEMENTAL
31 Dodgers Preston Mattingly SS $1,000,000
32 Orioles Pedro Beato RHP $1,000,000
33 Giants Emmanuel Burriss SS $1,000,000
34 Diamondbacks Brooks Brown RHP $900,000
35 Padres Kyler Burke OF $950,000
36 Marlins Chris Coghlan 3B $950,000
37 Phillies Adrian Cardenas SS $925,000
38 Braves Cory Rasmus RHP $900,000
39 Indians David Huff LHP $900,000
40 Red Sox Kris Johnson LHP $850,000
41 Yankees Joba Chamberlain RHP Unsigned
42 Cardinals Chris Perez RHP $800,000
43 Braves Steve Evarts LHP $800,000
44 Red Sox Caleb Clay RHP $775,000
SECOND ROUND
45 Royals Jason Taylor SS $762,500
46 Rockies David Christensen OF $750,000
47 Devil Rays Josh Butler RHP $725,000
48 Pirates Mike Felix LHP $725,000
49 Mariners Chris Tillman RHP $680,000
50 Tigers Ronnie Bourquin 3B $690,000
51 Braves Jeff Locke LHP $675,000
52 Reds Sean Watson RHP $670,000
53 Padres Chad Huffman 1B $660,000
54 Cardinals Brad Furnish LHP $600,000
55 Diamondbacks Brett Anderson LHP Unsigned
56 Indians Steven Wright RHP $630,000
57 Indians Josh Rodriguez 3B $625,000
58 Orioles Ryan Adams SS $675,000
59 Nationals Sean Black RHP Unsigned
60 Brewers Brent Brewer SS $600,000
61 Padres Wade LeBlanc LHP $590,000
62 Mets Kevin Mulvey RHP Unsigned
63 Marlins Tom Hickman OF $575,000
64 Twins Joe Benson OF $575,000
65 Phillies Andrew Carpenter RHP $570,000
66 Athletics Trevor Cahill RHP $560,000
67 Astros Sergio Perez RHP $550,000
68 Braves Dustin Evans RHP $530,000
69 Indians Wes Hodges 3B $1,000,000
70 Nationals Stephen Englund SS $515,000
71 Red Sox Justin Masterson RHP $510,000
72 Braves Chase Fontaine SS $500,000
73 White Sox Matt Long RHP $330,000
74 Cardinals Jon Jay OF $480,000
SECOND ROUND SUPPLEMENTAL
75 Indians Matt McBride C $445,000
76 Cardinals Mark Hamilton 1B $465,000
THIRD ROUND
77 Royals Blake Wood RHP $460,000
78 Rockies Keith Weiser LHP $455,000
79 Devil Rays Nick Fuller RHP Unsigned
80 Pirates Shelby Ford 2B $450,000
81 Mariners Tony Butler LHP $445,000
82 Tigers Brennan Boesch OF $445,000
83 Red Sox Aaron Bates 1B $440,000
84 Reds Chris Valaika SS $437,500
85 Orioles Zach Britton LHP $435,000
86 Diamondbacks Dallas Buck RHP $250,000
87 Diamondbacks Cyle Hankerd OF $430,000
88 Rangers Chad Tracy C $427,500
89 Giants Clayton Tanner LHP $425,000
90 Marlins Torre Langley C $422,500
91 Nationals Stephen King SS Unsigned
92 Brewers Cole Gillespie OF $417,500
93 Padres Cedric Hunter OF $415,000
94 Mets Joe Smith RHP $410,000
95 Marlins Scott Cousins OF $407,500
96 Twins Tyler Robertson LHP $405,500
97 Phillies Jason Donald SS $400,000
98 Athletics Matt Sulentic OF $395,000
99 Astros Nick Moresi OF $390,000
100 Braves Chad Rodgers LHP $385,000
101 Indians Adam Davis SS $380,000
102 Angels Russ Moldenhauer OF Unsigned
103 Red Sox Bryce Cox RHP $250,000
104 Yankees Zach McAllister RHP $368,000
105 White Sox Justin Edwards LHP $310,000
106 Cardinals Gary Daley RHP $325,000
FOURTH ROUND
107 Royals Derrick Robinson OF $850,000
108 Rockies Craig Baker RHP $265,000
109 Devil Rays Alex Cobb RHP SIGNED
110 Pirates Jared Hughes RHP $305,000
111 Mariners Ricky Orta RHP $270,000
112 Tigers Ryan Strieby 1B $295,000
113 Dodgers Kyle Orr 1B Unsigned
114 Reds Justin Reed OF $287,000
115 Orioles Blake Davis SS $282,500
116 Giants Ben Snyder LHP $280,000
117 Diamondbacks Bryant Thompson RHP $225,500
118 Rangers Marcus Lemon SS $1,000,000
119 Twins Whit Robbins 1B $265,000
120 Blue Jays Brandon Magee RHP $155,000
121 Nationals Glenn Gibson LHP Unsigned
122 Brewers Evan Anundsen RHP $282,000
123 Padres Nate Culp LHP $257,500
124 Mets John Holdzkom RHP $210,000
125 Marlins Hector Correa RHP $252,000
126 Twins Garrett Olson 3B $250,000
127 Phillies D'Arby Myers OF $250,000
128 Athletics Chad Lee RHP $245,000
129 Astros Chris Johnson 1B $242,500
130 Braves Lee Hyde LHP $235,000
131 Indians Ryan Morris LHP $500,000
132 Angels Clay Fuller OF $227,500
133 Red Sox Jon Still C $225,000
134 Yankees Colin Curtis OF $450,000
135 White Sox Tyler Reves C $160,000
136 Cardinals Eddie Degerman RHP $100,000
FIFTH ROUND
137 Royals Jason Godin RHP $210,000
138 Rockies Helder Velazquez SS $209,000
139 Devil Rays Shawn O'Malley SS $200,000
140 Pirates Patrick Bresnehan RHP $202,500
141 Mariners Nathan Adcock RHP $200,000
142 Tigers Scott Sizemore 2B $197,500
143 Dodgers Kyle Smit RHP $175,000
144 Reds Josh Ravin RHP $200,000
145 Orioles Tyler Henson SS $185,000
146 Giants Michael McBryde OF $180,000
147 Diamondbacks Hector Ambriz RHP $160,000
148 Rangers Chris Davis 1B $172,500
149 Cubs Jeff Samardzija RHP $7,250,000
150 Blue Jays Luke Hopkins 1B $172,500
151 Nationals Cory VanAllen LHP $170,500
152 Brewers Chris Errecart OF $166,000
153 Padres Andy Underwood RHP $167,500
154 Mets Stephen Holmes RHP $168,000
155 Marlins Chris Hatcher C $167,000
156 Twins Devin Shepherd OF Unsigned
157 Phillies Quentin Berry OF $165,000
158 Athletics Jermaine Mitchell OF $155,000
159 Astros Casey Hudspeth RHP $163,000
160 Braves Kevin Gunderson LHP $162,000
161 Indians Chris Archer RHP $161,000
162 Angels Ken Herndon RHP $157,500
163 Red Sox Dustin Richardson LHP $107,000
164 Yankees George Kontos RHP $158,000
165 White Sox John Shelby 2B $157,000
166 Cardinals Shane Robinson OF $175,000
SIXTH ROUND
167 Royals Harold Mozingo RHP $165,000
168 Rockies Kevin Clark OF $150,000
169 Devil Rays Nevin Ashley C $150,000
170 Pirates Jim Negrych 2B $150,000
171 Mariners Adam Moore C $140,000
172 Tigers Jordan Newton C $155,000
173 Dodgers Garrett White LHP $110,000
174 Reds Jordan Smith RHP $152,500
175 Orioles Jason Berken RHP $155,000
176 Giants Ryan Rohlinger SS $40,000
177 Diamondbacks Joey Side OF $145,000
178 Rangers Jacob Brigham RHP $200,000
179 Cubs Josh Lansford 3B $155,000
180 Blue Jays Brian Jeroloman C $165,000
181 Nationals Zech Zinicola RHP $147,500
182 Brewers Brae Wright LHP $31,500
183 Padres Tim Bascom RHP $140,000
184 Mets Scott Schafer RHP $140,000
185 Marlins Justin Jacobs SS $150,000
186 Twins Jeff Christy C $25,000
187 Phillies Dan Brauer LHP $150,000
188 Athletics Andrew Bailey RHP $135,000
189 Astros Bud Norris RHP $140,000
190 Braves Steve Figueroa RHP $125,000
191 Indians Austin Creps RHP $145,000
192 Angels Robert Fish LHP $140,000
193 Red Sox Zach Daeges 3B $30,000
194 Yankees Mitch Hilligoss SS $130,000
195 White Sox Brian Omogrosso RHP $105,000
196 Cardinals Tyler Norrick LHP $45,000
SEVENTH ROUND
197 Royals Brett Bigler OF $130,000
198 Rockies Michael McKenry C $135,000
199 Devil Rays Reid Ryan RHP $145,000
200 Pirates Austin McClune OF $140,000
201 Mariners Doug Fister RHP $50,000
202 Tigers Jonah Nickerson RHP $150,000
203 Dodgers Jaime Ortiz 1B $115,000
204 Reds Justin Turner 2B $50,000
205 Orioles Josh Tamba RHP $142,500
206 Giants Brett Pill 1B $130,000
207 Diamondbacks Daniel Stange RHP $115,000
208 Rangers Grant Gerrard OF $27,500
209 Cubs Steve Clevenger SS $130,000
210 Blue Jays Jon Baksh OF $122,500
211 Nationals Sam Brown RHP Unsigned
212 Brewers Andy Bouchie C $115,000
213 Padres Craig Cooper 1B $25,000
214 Mets Daniel Stegall OF $145,000
215 Marlins Don Czyz RHP $30,000
216 Twins Jonathan Waltenbury 1B Unsigned
217 Phillies Charlie Yarbrough 1B $110,000
218 Athletics Michael Leake RHP Unsigned
219 Astros David Qualben LHP $115,000
220 Braves Adam Coe 3B $107,200
221 Indians Robbie Alcombrack C $160,000
222 Angels Jarrad Page OF Unsigned
223 Red Sox Kris Negron SS $105,000
224 Yankees Tim Norton RHP $85,000
225 White Sox Justin Cassel RHP $88,000
226 Cardinals Luke Gorsett OF $60,000
EIGHTH ROUND
227 Royals Josh Cribb RHP $75,000
228 Rockies Brandon Hynick RHP $90,000
229 Devil Rays Tyree Hayes RHP $127,500
230 Pirates Alex Presley OF $95,000
231 Mariners Steve Richard RHP $70,000
232 Tigers Chris Cody LHP $25,000
233 Dodgers Tommy Giles OF $25,000
234 Reds Travis Webb LHP $90,000
235 Orioles Jedidiah Stephen SS $25,000
236 Giants Matt Klimas C $80,000
237 Diamondbacks Chase Christianson RHP $82,500
238 Rangers Josh Bradbury OF $85,000
239 Cubs Billy Muldowney RHP $98,500
240 Blue Jays Dan O'Brien LHP $90,000
241 Nationals Sean Rooney C $90,000
242 Brewers Shane Hill RHP $145,000
243 Padres Tom King SS $60,000
244 Mets Nathan Hedrick RHP $140,000
245 Marlins Daniel Garcia SS $90,000
246 Twins Brian Dinkelman 2B $13,000
247 Phillies T.J. Warren OF $92,500
248 Athletics Angel Sierra OF $75,000
249 Astros Jimmy Van Ostrand OF $40,000
250 Braves Casey Beck RHP $100,000
251 Indians Mike Eisenberg RHP $83,500
252 Angels Matt Sweeney C $75,000
253 Red Sox Rafael Cabreja OF $65,000
254 Yankees Dellin Betances RHP $1,000,000
255 White Sox Kent Gerst OF $75,000
256 Cardinals Allen Craig SS $15,000
NINTH ROUND
257 Royals Marc Maddox 1B $50,000
258 Rockies Will Harris RHP $16,000
259 Devil Rays Eligio Sonoqui 1B $90,000
260 Pirates Steve McFarland RHP $76,000
261 Mariners Justin Souza RHP $65,000
262 Tigers Zach Piccola LHP $80,000
263 Dodgers Bridger Hunt 3B $60,000
264 Reds Jeremy Burchett RHP $25,000
265 Orioles Brett Bordes LHP $23,500
266 Giants Brian Bocock SS $72,500
267 Diamondbacks Eddie Romero LHP $75,000
268 Rangers Brennan Garr RHP $65,000
269 Cubs Cliff Anderson OF $155,000
270 Blue Jays Cole Figueroa SS Unsigned
271 Nationals Joey Rosas LHP Unsigned
272 Brewers Shawn Ferguson RHP $10,000
273 Padres David Freese 3B $6,000
274 Mets Jeremy Barfield OF Unsigned
275 Marlins John Raynor OF $17,500
276 Twins Sean Land LHP $70,000
277 Phillies Andrew Cruse RHP $75,000
278 Athletics Danny Hamblin 1B Unsigned
279 Astros Greg Buchanan 2B $30,000
280 Braves Tim Gustafson RHP Unsigned
281 Indians Jared Goedert 3B $70,000
282 Angels Nate Boman LHP Unsigned
283 Red Sox Ryan Kalish OF Unsigned
284 Yankees Mark Melancon RHP Unsigned
285 White Sox Chris Duffy 3B Unsigned
286 Cardinals Matt North RHP $150,000
TENTH ROUND
287 Royals Nick Van Stratten OF $65,000
288 Rockies David Arnold RHP $65,000
289 Devil Rays Desmond Jennings OF $150,000
290 Pirates Charles Benoit LHP $55,000
291 Mariners Chris Minaker SS $20,000
292 Tigers Lauren Gagnier RHP $67,000
293 Dodgers Andy D'Alessio 1B Unsigned
294 Reds Josh Roenicke RHP $20,000
295 Orioles Emeel Salem OF Unsigned
296 Giants Ryan Paul LHP $60,000
297 Diamondbacks Tony Barnette RHP $10,000
298 Rangers Craig Gentry OF $10,000
299 Cubs Jake Renshaw RHP $60,000
300 Blue Jays Scott Campbell 2B $65,000
301 Nationals Marcus Salmon C Unsigned
302 Brewers Mike McClendon RHP $60,000
303 Padres Kody Valverde C $3,000
304 Mets Phillips Orta RHP Unsigned
305 Marlins Graham Taylor LHP $10,000
306 Twins Jared Mitchell OF Unsigned
307 Phillies Sam Walls RHP $50,000
308 Athletics Christian Vitters SS $55,000
309 Astros Nathan Karns RHP Unsigned
310 Braves Kris Medlen RHP $85,000
311 Indians Paalo Espino RHP Unsigned
312 Angels Leonardo Calderon LHP SIGNED
313 Red Sox Kyle Snyder RHP Unsigned
314 Yankees Casey Erickson RHP $80,000
315 White Sox Lee Cruz OF $25,000
316 Cardinals Blair Erickson RHP UNSIGNED

(Edited by Shep)

Baseball Draft
Last edited by Shepster
quote:
Your absolutely right Jerry with everything you just said and one delayed gratification case that jumps out at me right after I just read your post is Todd Helton who only received a $50,000 dollar bonus due to knee concerns out of Tenn. Look how much he ended up with. peace, Shep

I give up, you post round money 2 times, go on about our sons buying us dishwashers putting significance on signing for money, once in a lifetime opportunity for financial freedom from mom and dad then go ahead and post the above.

PG, thanks for your input.
PG Staff posted:
quote:
It’s an individual thing… I really like those kids who are willing to play for practically nothing.

I like'em too. I have one. Smile

Signability: Very Important
Opportunity: Very Important
Rent and Grocery Money: Very Important

It's a personal decision the player needs to make, if he can afford to, and not look back. Just look both ways before stepping off the curb.

At the risk of getting the list re-posted, nobody really cares what any other kid signed for. It did not change my life for one second, either time it was posted. I can certainly find that data if I ever need it.
Last edited by Dad04
Your right 04Dad, never give up TPM. You know thats my motto.

Just thought the board needed to decide by perusing these huge bonuses. (some need to see them over and over for it to sink in just how much money we're talking about here.) A lifetime of wages for most HS picks in first ten rounds. What part of lifetime of hard-labor/wages do we not understand? peace, Shep
ancient proverb: a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Vance34 says to Shep the following:
quote:
I also have a scout trip today and one you'd have to buy a ticket to.

Vance34, How arrogant of you sir throwing this in my face just because you are a full-time scout. Hate to disappoint your statement, but the recent position I have just accepted pays for my trip too if you're lucky enough to be going where I'm going which I doubt if your just a territory scout because territory scouts are not in the budget for this trip with most teams, but thanks for sniping Big Grin PEACE
Last edited by Shepster
Median bonus paid 2003-2005: $90,700.

Uhm..hardly lifetime income in most neighborhoods. Its a good thing its really about the opportunity and the journey, and not the dough, because I don't see any meaningful money below round 3, with a few exeptions. If it was actually about the money, few would sign out of college below the 100th pick.

Pick Bonus Avg 2003-2005.
1 $4,316,600
2 $3,573,300
3 $3,250,000
4 $2,308,300
5 $2,250,000
6 $2,425,000
7 $2,150,000
8 $1,850,000
9 $2,600,000
10 $2,208,300
11 $1,953,300
12 $2,625,000
13 $1,708,300
14 $1,515,000
15 $2,390,000
16 $1,683,300
17 $1,558,300
18 $1,537,500
19 $1,516,600
20 $1,533,300
21 $1,466,600
22 $1,358,300
23 $1,366,600
24 $1,250,000
25 $1,236,600
26 $1,325,000
27 $1,283,300
28 $1,058,300
29 $1,066,600
30 $1,016,600
31 $1,016,600
32 $1,017,600
33 $997,500
34 $975,000
35 $950,000
36 $950,000
37 $925,000
38 $883,300
39 $883,300
40 $832,500
41 $805,000
42 $791,600
43 $800,000
44 $775,000
45 $777,500
46 $1,156,600
47 $726,600
48 $695,000
49 $633,300
50 $676,600
51 $670,000
52 $708,300
53 $686,800
54 $700,000
55 $630,000
56 $656,600
57 $616,600
58 $605,000
59 $585,000
60 $616,600
61 $755,000
62 $590,000
63 $565,600
64 $625,000
65 $571,600
66 $793,300
67 $583,300
68 $527,500
69 $508,000
70 $517,500
71 $501,600
72 $440,000
73 $496,600
74 $481,600
75 $487,500
76 $451,600
77 $460,800
78 $381,600
79 $458,300
80 $458,000
81 $465,000
82 $461,600
83 $441,600
84 $360,000
85 $450,000
86 $439,000
87 $347,500
88 $427,500
89 $359,500
90 $414,800
91 $420,000
92 $353,300
93 $973,300
94 $420,000
95 $366,600
96 $451,600
97 $355,000
98 $396,600
99 $470,000
100 $363,300
101 $346,600
102 $375,000
103 $375,000
104 $336,200
105 $348,300
106 $320,000
107 $428,300
108 $315,000
109 $275,000
110 $351,300
111 $300,000
112 $278,300
113 $270,000
114 $313,500
115 $268,300
116 $247,500
117 $225,000
118 $351,600
119 $295,000
120 $256,600
121 $267,500
122 $208,300
123 $207,500
124 $255,000
125 $185,100
126 $220,000
127 $245,800
128 $263,300
129 $241,100
130 $238,300
131 $188,300
132 $142,700
133 $224,800
134 $216,700
135 $156,700
136 $210,700
137 $206,700
138 $165,000
139 $205,200
140 $219,200
141 $200,000
142 $191,700
143 $191,700
144 $187,500
145 $180,000
146 $141,700
147 $180,000
148 $178,800
149 $175,000
150 $180,000
151 $173,700
152 $170,000
153 $170,000
154 $169,200
155 $118,300
156 $108,000
157 $175,000
158 $148,300
159 $142,700
160 $174,000
161 $180,000
162 $103,700
163 $154,000
164 $147,700
165 $158,500
166 $116,300
167 $103,300
168 $119,700
169 $148,300
170 $105,000
171 $150,000
172 $142,800
173 $130,000
174 $144,000
175 $95,000
176 $149,000
177 $103,300
178 $108,300
179 $164,200
180 $120,000
181 $113,300
182 $105,800
183 $133,500
184 $233,300
185 $134,300
186 $143,300
187 $115,800
188 $112,500
189 $122,500
190 $104,200
191 $136,700
192 $65,500
193 $119,300
194 $128,300
195 $143,500
196 $124,200
197 $131,700
198 $156,700
199 $95,000
200 $58,300
201 $60,800
202 $125,000
203 $136,300
204 $106,700
205 $96,700
206 $72,500
207 $85,000
208 $77,800
209 $123,300
210 $38,800
211 $87,300
212 $110,700
213 $70,000
214 $110,000
215 $103,300
216 $129,700
217 $90,000
218 $75,800
219 $177,000
220 $60,000
221 $72,300
222 $35,300
223 $101,000
224 $100,000
225 $150,000
226 $98,300
227 $77,500
228 $66,800
229 $85,000
230 $38,200
231 $48,300
232 $93,300
233 $65,800
234 $63,300
235 $45,500
236 $57,500
237 $39,000
238 $158,300
239 $94,700
240 $97,500
241 $48,300
242 $59,200
243 $59,200
244 $91,700
245 $205,000
246 $190,000
247 $51,700
248 $25,000
249 $55,000
250 $51,000
251 $50,000
252 $13,000
253 $68,800
254 $170,000
255 $52,500
256 $47,700
257 $76,700
258 $61,700
259 $317,500
260 $51,200
261 $44,300
262 $63,300
263 $62,200
264 $60,000
265 $87,300
266 $48,800
267 $69,200
268 $73,300
269 $55,000
270 $45,000
271 $70,300
272 $41,300
273 $61,700
274 $230,000
275 $53,300
276 $43,300
277 $51,700
278 $58,300
279 $104,500
280 $79,000
281 $93,300
282 $357,500
283 $90,700
284 $56,300
285 $240,000
286 $35,500
287 $61,000
288 $65,000
289 $27,500
290 $24,200
291 $60,000
292 $74,300
293 $57,500
294 $18,700
295 $58,300
296 $10,700
297 $41,500
298 $59,200
299 $36,700
300 $39,800
Median: $90,700
Last edited by Dad04
quote:
A lifetime of wages for most HS picks in first ten rounds

That's great statistical data there 04Dad but my comment related to HS signees not all together collectively with college and HS all mixed together as in your statistical database presentation of the median. You will find that median statistical number "much" higher in HS picks only as in the premise for my above quoted statement. I still have to agree with LOW'S response though.....UNCLE!!!!!!
Last edited by Shepster
Slugger

Somebody will need to chip in for the minor leaguer making $5,500 a year, after he's socked away that lifetime-of-income bonus of his, till he gets to the show, if he gets there. Who gets that bill?

If I was an scout, the last thing I would bring up is the money. Money comes and goes, most times very quickly. I would sell the opportunity, just as hard to the 1498th pick, as the 1st pick. The money will come if the opportunity is seized and exploited by those with the courage to play with the big boys.

I would ask my draftee "do you have what it takes? Do you have the rocks to put it all out there? Well... Do ya?"

Yes, take out the senior signs and the median goes up. High schoolers only signing for bigger money does not strengthen your argument though Shep. Besides, money is irrevelant (till you run out), imo.

UNCLE!!
Last edited by Dad04
SO PICK # 1498 AND PICK #1

**** will be treated identically?

There is a sound reason, I guess, as to why somebody is #1 and # 1498

The money is an INVESTMENT. Do they really care about # 1498 with zero invested?

I only read about the off field troubles of the kids in Durham, not that pick # 1498 was busted for a drunken bar fight in Cowpoke after a tough A ball loss...........

because nobody cares, no INVESTMENT was made.

Is that accurate?
Loads of band width being used up on stuff that can be found on other sites --AND we have two supposed scouts arguing about who gets paid what and where and when---really makes you wonder about these two individuals doesn't it when they as suppposed scouts cannot agree about payment for scouts--VErrrrrrry Interesting
QUOTE]Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
Shep,
Again, you keep bringing up the money issue with the bonus bucks. Very few get rich from signing bonus, we all know the big $$ come later on, when and if you do make it. And signing bonus' are WAY down from what tehy used to be, the result, more and more going to college first, because it is a lot about the signing bonus to them and their parents.

How about this scenerio, which could be a very USUAL one. A HS player drafted in the 14th round, gets 140K, his college education would have been paid mostly by a great scholarship, to top 10 school. I haven't heard or seen his name mentioned once in three years, if he had gone to college you would know who he is, he was a top ranked player in HS. Good choice?

Obviously for HIM it was, he wanted to go pro more than go to college (this was not a pitcher by the way but a hitter who could have gotten his at bats in college), but for others, may not be the right choice.

Don't continue to place a price tag on it. Go back and read Gratefuls first paragraph.

And why would you have to pay for a college education when there is the MLB scholarship program, a good selling point for going pro, right?

College vs. pro is about knowing what you really want to do, though for a HS player never away from home may be difficult. It's important to talk about it early and NOT string others along until your name is called. If you really want to go pro and work, SIGN. But if you also want to go pro and earn most of your degree, experience college life and the college baseball experience, it CAN be accomplished just by seeing how many players ARE drafted out of college.

Discussion is good, always. It's important for parents and player to know the issues on both sides of the coin toss. However, this Is NOT a MLB or minor league website, this is a site where most of our players WILL go to college first. FYI, we didn't even have a thread for pro players, but many of the parents who first came here many moons ago, have college players who have gone pro.

I look upon the scout the same as a college recruiter, they are BOTH salesman, one selling their school the other selling his team. Each tends to leave out lots of the particulars in the visit. If it wasn't so confusing, people wouldn't be here asking questions. I found MOST scouts to be more up front than some college recruiters, but only because we had done our homework asked questions and I did here on teh HSBBW. MANY players I know who turned down going pro was NOT because they really wanted to go to college, but because they didn't get offered what they felt they were worth. A FEW players I know turned down really BIG money because they really wanted to go to college first.
That's why we have the HSBBW, so some of us can give information (not all good, not all bad) for those that have questions. I as a PARENT with a son who had to make a tough decision will always tell someone, if asked, the good and the bad on both sides. For mine, the college experience is turning out to be a great one and he is happy. I am sure if he had gone pro out of HS he would be happy as well. Did we want him to go to college first, yes, he was a very good student, if things would have been different, a fair student who didn't do well with a lesser oportunity, most probably he would have been drafted in the 6th, 7th round and signed. So I am NOT entirely PRO college, just want to let parents know there is an upside and a downside to any decision their son will make.

JMO[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
To "Tiger Paw Mom":
Although I am listed as a "new" member, I was a member some years before...just had to re-register in order to make this posting. I have frequently looked at the postings on the HSBBW site, but not every day. I just wanted to comment to you that of all the postings/discussions on the topic "Pro vs. College" yours was by far the best and the least biased in either direction. Your commentary was RIGHT ON! I don't remember if you got the rebuttal from either "The Shepster" or "Vance34" of "...you don't get it!" or not...I think that response was mostly between them and "TRHit," but, if they did, I am here to say that you most assuredly DO GET IT! As you so accurately state in your post, "..most HS players don't really get the big bucks...".And, unless the bucks are potentially life changing, IMO $1million or north thereof, why do it or at least even consider it? I do know of one player in our area who allegedly turned down $1.3 million to attend college and play D-1 ball. Now after all taxes, fees, etc. this would mean a lifetime income, at a rate of only 6%..not the 10% one of the guys mentioned... of approximately $51,000 per year for life without ever having to touch the principle amount of approx. $850K...ever. And the college fund on top of that! At first I felt the player...or at least his parents...to be mentally challenged! But after reading your post, and reconsideration, I realized that, as you eloquently stated, the most important thing is for your son to be happy and at peace with the difficult decision. Your son is happy with his decision to go on and except what I'm sure is a very fine scholarship to a very fine school...I'm assuming that the school is Clemson. Bottomline he's happy. And another good point which you made is that the players, most of the time, don't get a bonus of the same zipcode at least as what to what they think they should get. My son felt this way also, and has decided to accept a very magnanimous scholarship to a very prestigious D-1, with a great academic reputation as well, and which was in the CWS in Omaha last year. Like your boy, my son has NOT given up on his dream of playing in MLB...in fact, in going to two great D-1 schools with great BB programs, they both may have even augmented their chances and potential bonus bucks. Only time will tell..and hard work. Just wanted to let you know that your comments on "College vs. Pro" were highly intelligent, and "right on", and easily the best of the lot! Good luck to you and your son.
If you will notice, I too acknowledged TPM with her excellent post a few pages back.

Glad to have you here 435Hitter. Your not going to believe this, but that was my college lifetime batting average at USC-Aiken. What are the odds of that?? Incredible. Are you an agent?

Once again, welcome back and good luck to you and your son!

Peace,
Shep
Last edited by Shepster
quote:
Are you an agent?

Check the profile, INVESTMENTS.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mine was no where near $1.3M..lol. However if you asked him today, what he would do, for 1.3M, bet it would be he'd do it all over again the same way!

Welcome back and best of luck to your son.
Smile
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Very few get rich from signing bonus, we all know the big $$ come later on, when and if you do make it. And signing bonus' are WAY down from what tehy used to be, the result, more and more going to college first

Bonuses are down? WAY DOWN? From WHEN THEY USED TO BE?

Give me a break.

1985 BJ Surhoff 150,000
1986 Jeff King 160,000
1987 Ken Griffey Jr. 169,000
1988 Andy Benes 235,000
1989 Ben McDonald 350,000
1990 Chipper Jones 275,000
1991 Brien Taylor 1.550,000
1992 Phil Nevin 700,000
1993 A Rod 1,000,000
1994 Paul Wilson 1,550,000
1995 Darin Erstad 1,600,000
1996 Kris Benson 2,000,000
1997 Matt Anderson 2,500,000
1998 Pat Burrell 3.150,000
1999 Josh Hamilton 3,960,000
2000 Adrian Gonzalez 3,000,000
2001 Joe Mauer 5,100,000
2002 Brian Bullington 4,000,000
2003 Delmon Young 3,700,000
2004 Matt Bush 3,150,000
2005 Justin Upton 6,000,000

Also, WHY? Does an amatuer player think he needs to get rich on his amatuer play.

If you wanta get rich go produce in the Minors and play your way to the big leagues. EARN IT and don't expect it based on high school and college play.
Last edited by Vance34
#1 pick received 5,100,000 in 2001 and then the decline began. Justin Upton was a rare exception. Hochever signed for 3,500,000. Yes a lot more than back in 1996 but everything is in relation to the cost of living.
Go back and study the draft rounds last 5 years.

There was an article in BA recently regarding why the steady decline. The wide spread use of the internet (no secrets on draft day) and pre draft deals. You can argue with them on this one.
Last edited by TPM
Vance,
I see your point also, but bonus' have declined, regardless of whatever reason, when you pointed out they were not. The BA article is an interesting read, if you have the issue. Decline from 2001 to 2006 almost a mil and a half not minimal. And again, those are the lucky ones who get the big bonus, and besides you sign because you want to start your pro career, right, regardless of money, though that can buy a lot of dishwashers!

Actually Dad04 maybe on to something Smile, regardless mine plays for nothing and loves it, maybe someday he and a lot of our kids will get paid to play.
Last edited by TPM
TPM, I see your angle/ point. My point was that the money is pretty darn good for Opprotunity without any results vs Big League players. Here look over these numbers for last 6 years.

2000 High bonus per round

1.$5,300,000

sw $1,050,000

2.$2,750,000

3.$2,000,000

4.$1,250,000

5.$500,000

6.$375,000

7.$175,000

8.$225,000

9.$190,000

10.$90,000

2001 draft

1 $5,150,000

sw $2,000,000

2. $2,000,000

3. $725,000

4. $500,000

5. $400,000

6. $825,000

7. $1,000,000

8. $170,000

9. $325,000

10.$135,000

1. $4,600,000

sw $1,200,000

2. $1,000,000

3. $950,000

4. $375,000

5. $300,000

6. $250,000

7. $250,000

8. $185,000

9. $240,000

10. $120,000

2003 draft

1. $3,396,018

sw $1,025,000

2. $2,070,000

3. $512,500

4. $400,000

5. $300,000

6. $500,000

7. $210,000

8. $150,000

9. $90,000

10. $1,050,000

2004 draft

1. $3,150,000

sw $1,017,500

2. $1,260,000

3. $2,142,989

4. $650,000

5. $224,500

6. $160,000

7. $300,000

8. $432,000

9. $550,000

10. $449,945

2005 draft

1. $6,100,000

sw $1,025,000

2. $725,500

3. $725,000

4. $500,000

5. $220,000

6. $152,500

7. $250,000

8. $800,000

9. $235,000

10. $325,000
OK, here are your avg's.

2000 Avg per round

1.$1,939,464

sw.$865,625

2.$794,929

3.$518,417

4.$340,300

5.$197,407

6.$142,667

7.$97,111

8.$73,138

9.$62,920

10.$49,923

1. $2,154,280

sw $964,464

2. $764,000

3. $427,339

4. $260,796

5. $177,914

6. $158,366

7. $157,462

8. $70,725

9. $76,581

10. $49,229

1. $2,067,768

sw $849,091

2. $687,667

3. $461,081

4. $252,121

5. $184,636

6. $107,827

7. $105,542

8. $81,920

9. $69,700

10. $44,537

1. $1,737,839

sw $975,357

2. $755,026

3. $415,981

4. $278,852

5. $185,540

6. $138,190

7. $96,450

8. $71,982

9. $49,345

10. $83,500

1. $1,762,464

sw $921,136

2. $658,260

3. $487,516

4. $285,603

5. $177,655

6. $123,000

7. $105,692

8. $85,204

9. $84,190

10. $51,813

1. $1,996,545

sw $862,794

2. $567,435

3. $402,630

4. $244,603

5. $165,667

6. $124,407

7. $107,200

8. $116,420

9. $71,481

10. $53,107

TPM, as you'll see there isn't a significant drop in avg bonus money paid out per round since 2000. Some rounds are slightly lower from year to year BUT there are also rounds where its slightly higher from year to year.

You always say TPM,that its a pipe dream. That only a few are invloved. Well, when you compare our population and ALL the kids who play baseball then only count those that are draft elgible your talking about a lot of players. Only about 1500 get selected every year. But if you'll look at Rounds 7-10 and I could include Rounds 11-18 as well. But for the study here. I'll just use through round 10. Rounds 7,8,9,10 all payed on avg. a Higher bonus than in the year 2000.

I only listed these figures to show that the draft amounts are NOT substantially smaller as implied(another poster in the thread).

When you compare the 2000 draft and the 2005 draft. On avg. for the top 10 rounds(because of this study) the total money paid out was:

2000 5,082,002
2005 5,177,789

in 05 was 1st year for comp C picks which is after the 2rd round. That avg. amount was 462,500 in 05 draft.

So TPM, as you requested, here are your results.
TPM, saw where you said BA said bonus money was down when comparing 2001 to 2006. We will have to wait until all guys are signed for 2006 figures BUT when we compare 2001 to 2005 again there is not a significant change to even warrant an argument. Again, this is based on what you would consider the best ave. to look at this from and thats the avg money paid out per round.

2001 was $5,271,156
2005 was $5,177,789

Maybe the top few guys are getting less, BUT there are MORE PLAYERS getting more bonus money now than in years past! Which should be something that you and all others should be happy about.
I say let the kids get what they can from MLB owners.

They make millions from tv revenue which likely covers the cost of everything. Everything else is gravy.

Forget the "nonsense" about so many clubs "not making any money".

Go get 'em boys, you deserve it.

--------------

The bigger joke is the NBA that has to guarantee millions to high schoolers.
Vance,
Thanks! That was a good excercise for you when you need to discuss bonus round money with a prospect! Big Grin

I think this thread has run it's course, but let me make one thing clear, I have never, that I can remember, might be wrong though said here it is a pipe dream. What I have stated is that it is a personal decision, may be determeined by a lot of different factors. Those factors include bonus money offered by round, school attending, scholarship amount or just the prospect's desire to begin working at 17,18 (yes it IS a job) or the desire to go to college first. Because you might desire to go to college first does not mean you will be giving up "the dream" to be a MLB player some day.
I know that you have told me that since my son was never drafted it is wrong of me to give advice, but that is entirely wrong statment on your part. We actually were one of those who had very difficult decision, get drafted first 10 rounds or go to school, with an excellent program, with a coach who has had over 90 players drafted in 12 years, some first rounders and major league players. So for him , that was a good choice.
It is important for all of us to try to help parents and players to understand the ENTIRE process from college recruiting to draft possibilities. As stated there are two sides to the coin, and should NOT be about whether you get a mil or 5K but the desire to begin your pro career earlier. If someone thinks that they are worth more to give up college, then that is their perogative to do so or not.

For most of our sons they all want to go onto play ball for a living. But not all of our sons are the same, some choose different ways to get there and some never get the chance while some do.
It's all about finally reaching the final stage, going on to play in the show, for as long as you can. How and when you get there is based upon your ability and your willingness to work hard for the opportunity beginning at 17,18,19,20,21,22 or 23.
Trying to convince someone to sign so he can buy his mom a dishwasher makes no sense to me!

JMO.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
TPM, saw where you said BA said bonus money was down when comparing 2001 to 2006. We will have to wait until all guys are signed for 2006 figures BUT when we compare 2001 to 2005 again there is not a significant change to even warrant an argument. Again, this is based on what you would consider the best ave. to look at this from and thats the avg money paid out per round.

2001 was $5,271,156
2005 was $5,177,789

Maybe the top few guys are getting less, BUT there are MORE PLAYERS getting more bonus money now than in years past! Which should be something that you and all others should be happy about.

So, adjusted for inflation, bonuses are down about 14%!
Last edited by Dad0406
Old Slugger,

No argument here on your math, but I don't think the root of the discussion is the $1+ million bonus babies. 2nd round money alone drops by 60%-70%. This is a long-term, life decision.

By the way, am I wrong that the MLB scholarship plan has a timeclock on it? It is my understanding that once you start to use it, the $ remains available to you for a finite amount of time.
Last edited by Dad0406
OLD Slugger. You my friend have put the last NAIL in the COFFIN.

It's a no brainer and has nothing to do with SHEPS dishwashers!

There is NOT A COLLEGE IN THE COUNTRY that will give a GRADUATE a BONUS to graduate plus pay for ALL of the school cost too. Thanks Old Slugger.

TPM, I did not say it was bad for you to give advice. I did say you shouldn't be biased to the college side. But I must say I have enjoyed our latest discussion. Hope your son finished strong in his summer league. Have a blessed day.
OS8,
Very good post, however MOST will NEVER see that kind of bonus. Only a few, and the majority have gone to college in the first round.
I am NOT talking about turning down the million, but how about the one who is faced with the smaller amount? How about the consideration of WHICH organization drafts you? Where you will spend your time in minor leagues, how your organization handles those out of HS, will they be far away or close to home? That should be a very important part of the decision.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
Vance,
Thanks! That was a good excercise for you when you need to discuss bonus round money with a prospect!
As stated there are two sides to the coin, and should NOT be about whether you get a mil or 5K but the desire to begin your pro career earlier. JMO.

The overall post was very good. But the line I retained is really the heart of the discussion.

$1,000,000 wisely handled after taxes and agent commissions would be around $600,000 to the bank.

Lets say the boy doesn't need the Corvette right away, but a nicer place to live in MILB and better eats.

Todays rates of return should garner 8%.

So decide on this:

$600,000 in the bank earns a pre-tax amount of $48,000 annually. Lets leave tax-deferred vehicles out of this.

Do you want the above plus the start of your pro career? Or do you want 3 years of the college experience, and let the draft chips fall when the time comes?

Toss in the MLB scholarship plan option, and it gets tougher. Those boys who try pro and never excercize the college scholarship option probably meant to never use it anyway?

Assume the boys gets bounced from pro ball after 4 years. The money in the bank can be well over $800,000. Go to school for 4 years, free of charge, let the dough sit longer, and you got a kid graduating from college with $1,000,000 in the bank.

Do you want the college experience?
Do you want, or need the college baseball experience?

I think the MONEY/INVESTMENT is the basis, the rule, and not the exception!!

Very good post Slugger.
OS8, Obviously you are rationalizing about life changing cash. Every high schooler drafted in the first round this year signed, for $1,300,000 and up. Obviously few first rounders have turned down pro ball, just one in the last 4 years, Wade Townsend. It's sort of a moot point with little to discuss.

TPM is right. The point where there is debate starts in the 2nd or 3rd round at about $500,000 to $600,000 before taxes and fees. Several 2nd and 3rd rounders have yet to sign out of high school with classes to begin in 2 weeks for many. $300,000 net in the bank is what it is, but some kids still hesitate there, not in the 1st round.

Andrew Miller was a 3rd rounder in high school and got over $3M this year. Hmm. He gambled and won. Others gamble and lose.
Last edited by Dad04
quote:
Obviously few first rounders have turned down pro ball, just one in the last 4 years , Wade Townsend.

Vance

AND Hochover. Sorry. Incidently, he profited $2M re-drafting. Harrington was first drafted when, in the late 90's? He made a huge mistake. I think we are all aware of that ancient history. Weaver and Drew skipped school and signed for huge money big league contracts before the next draft. You might try actually reading a post before commenting, and a little homework yourself, "pro".

My original point remains. Only one, uh, two has turned down 1st round $$ in 2003, 2004 ,2005 ,or 2006, college kids. High schoolers all sign in the 1st. Water is wet, by the way.

I'm done with rude posters.
Last edited by Dad04
Hey guys, since he's a "Tennessee Homeboy", let's get it right.

It's Hochevar, not Hochover or Hochaver. Big Grin

I among others, was beginning to get highly critical of Luke and his holdout. Looks like he came out ok. btw - Luke has been nothing but an outstanding citizen and ambassador for the University of Tennessee in and around Knoxville. Knowing what I knew of Luke, I was surprised at the holdout, but he obviously had a couple of million reasons.
Did ya'll miss me while I was gone? Big Grin

Well anyway, as I mentioned to Godfather Jerry and his wife and partner Betty at the AFLAC events, next time I'm taking my laptop. I did borrow the laptop that belonged to one of my bosses and posted once or twice while out there on the West Coast. Also spent a great deal of time with Head Coaches of West Coast powerhouses who were there at every event for the exposure for the university if nothing else in the case of a high draftpick who may even sign letter-of-intent Smile before the draft even if the player plans on signing professionally and college recruiters already know this. Now I found this very interesting. The college Head Coaches and his recruiters seem to be just as happy with the media exposure and recognition that comes with signing a top prospect to a scholarship even if they know his intentions are to sign professional contract because this brings other players to follow "top player" who has committed, said several Coaches. These Coaches read this board religiously. There will be a huge group of recruiters, scouts, and many others down in Jupiter, FL in Oct. retrieving updates for upcoming draft for one of the last opportunities before spring schedules begin Wink
Great to be back everybody and peace to all and to all a good night! peace, Shep
Last edited by Shepster
I owe Vance34 an apology....Vance34 is correct about the bonuses for associate scouts. The contracts I have are obsolete because they are from way back. Pulled them out today along with the many personal letters from bosses. Associate scouts do work for territory scouts and not the actual organization. The deals I had back in early 90s is a thing of the past. Like Vance34 said, "those were in the ole days..." Vance34 is correct, this is no longer the case in modern day scouting. Associates are still used to help make scouting more efficient but not as much as in years before because of the liability.

I beg the board and especially, Vance34, for forgiveness and hope Vance34 and I can continue our banter here. peace

Sincerely,
Shep

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.