Skip to main content

Hi everyone (NOT A COMPLAINT, BUT A TRUE STORY OF PERSONAL VICTORY, and advice seeking lol),

Playing college summer ball and on Wednesday and Thursday I'm facing a team who's coach told me to quit baseball 4 years ago. He told me I'd never play college baseball, HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL, and told me to "hang em up" that fall of my freshman year. Now, he was part of the coaching "staff" for my high school team, but he wasn't really a true coach (as defined by the athletic department: not a district staff member, etc.), but was just a dad helping out to coach. His main role was helping coach freshmen+JV. He is rather morbidly obese, and was truly the definition of daddy ball, he helped coach so his son could play on the team, who is decent, but nothing special. Now, I don't have a problem with it AT ALL, except things got very personal with me and him. He was very obscene, demeaning, and straight offensive and have used several racist remarks, in which he got in trouble with the school AD's office several times, including suspension and removal of position for a spring season. He has gotten borderline physical at times too, he'd poke you really, really hard on the chest when he was mad at you... I can still feel the coldness of his fingers to this day when he'd do that to me. I was not the only one to have problems with him, as other parents have complained about him as well. Yet our main HS coach still continues to ask to call him back and help coach. I think he thinks he's making the younger guys "tougher." I understand a rough-hard nosed coach, but this man was beyond the limit. Luckily his opinions about me held no merit, as I was able to play all 4 years of HS baseball. He's no longer a part of my HS staff, as his son graduated a year older than me, but he still continues to give me a hard time.

Now fast forward to 4 years later. I have committed to play COLLEGE BASEBALL at a local juco. And I'm not talking about a fall walk-on opportunity or a fall roster, but an opportunity to be a part of the college's bullpen staff for the 2016 season. I have proved him wrong, and I am damn proud of it. In fact I cannot wait for my games against his team Wed and Thurs.

Taking a flashback to last year, during my summer season with a local scout team, he temporarily turned in his coaching badge for an umpire one. However, being the a**hole that he is, during the game, WHILE I WAS PITCHING, and while he was the homeplate umpire, it came to my attention that he was being very derogatory towards and talking mad crap about me "this pitcher is a p*ssy, I hate him, he shouldn't still be playing, etc. " TO MY CATCHER WHILE I WAS WARMING UP! And I knew he was talking crap, cause as I was pitching, I heard my catcher say "really? this pitcher here?" So I knew he was talking crap. So after the game I was livid when it came to my attention, that he indeed was running his mouth. After the game, while the umps were walking off the field, I let him have it. I was holding in words I wanted to say to him for a very long time. I did so in front of everyone. I told him finally to go F himself in front of everyone. I told him he was a sh*tty coach back then and he needed to get over himself. He replied back that he'll make sure I never play baseball in ANY league or team in Arizona ever again! LOL @ his failed attempt to do that. Maybe I was wrong to say the things I did too that day, but should an umpire be talking about players like the way he did that day? Of course, to also retaliate, I complained about him to his umpiring chief. And he was indeed disciplined. I was disciplined too, but only a one-game suspension (he tried to give me 5, LOL), whereas he was revoked from umpiring in any league that his umpiring association umpires for the rest of that summer. That is not how an umpire should behave and I made sure to get him disciplined as well.

His particular grudge against me was that at AGE 13, I declined to play on his LITTLE LEAGUE Juniors Level All-Star team. He told me my spot on the high school teams depended on it, but I still said no (because I confirmed it with the REAL head coach that it wasn't a big deal, he acknowledged that was a separate team that does not coincide with his HS teams). I knew his reputation as a coach before hand, so I just wanted no part of that. I did not want to play in a toxic environment, cause there is no way I can play to the best of my ability and confidence with him. So our relationship has not been good since. This man hates me so much, that he even said that he will do anything in his power to ensure that I never play again. Granted he tried very hard, but at least my HS coach didn't listen or care. He pulled me aside after one fall practice my FRESHMAN YEAR, and told me "son, you shouldn't have made this team. This is bullsh*t. I told you that you had to play on my team to be on the high school team. But you didn't cause you're a p*ssy. There is no room in this program for p*ssies. You need to hang up your cleats. No team in the states gonna want you either, and I'll make sure of that. You'll forever be behind all the other players." And again, JOKES ON HIM CAUSE HIS WORDS HELD NO MERIT TO OUR HEAD COACH AND I PLAYED ALL FOUR YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL!!

Anyways, in summer ball NOW, we are playing that old "coach" of mine on Wednesday and Thursday. I REALLY want to prove him wrong yet again, and pitch really, really good against him and his team. Again, this is definition of daddy ball, where he is coaching his son's team. Which, I again, have no problem with. But I really want to kind of shove it to his and his team's butt. I understand I should let my game do the talking, but I desperately want to say more things to him. Should I find a way to end this feud? Should I tell him he was wrong about me? I understand I should let my game do the talking and I am just way too pumped for my games this week. He told me I'd never play college baseball, and I will be doing just that this fall. He told me I'd never throw a baseball above 80 mph, which now I'm consistent 85-86.

Any advice from anyone? This means a lot to me. I know I should let my game do the talking but there has been a tremendous tension between us since 2009. I knew him before my HS years, as his son was a year older than I went to the same middle school and everything. Back then I was a shy and timid kid, who just took it. Now I desperately want to troll him so hard... Any advice?? I know he's probably telling his team how much he hates me and how much a p*ssy I am. And well, I can't stop that because that's his team and he can say what he wants to them. I want to let my game do the talking, but I also want to tell him that I am still here, and that his HS politics BS means absolutely nothing anymore. He has no jurisdiction over me, and I will gladly keep playing despite everything he has said. I have gladly proved him wrong, and will continue to do so as I do have the drive and the tenacity to keep playing and working as hard as possible. I WANT SO BAD TO JUST TROLL HIM.

Though it is only a  few summer ball games, my current coaches are aware of the situation, and I know this man isn't particularly happy about me going off on him last year and getting him in trouble with his umpire chief... I mean I'm not gonna lie.. The tension between us is so high, there might be a physical fight... Maybe not between me and a middle aged man, but perhaps something like his players or his son who also doesn't like me at all. I'll for sure update this as the days/games go by... I planned on just trolling him but still keeping it civil. I just wanna ask him what he thinks about me still playing and truly going on to college ball... How does he feel that his own best friend didn't listen to him... Etc OH MAN MY TROLL JUICES ARE JUST FLOWING.
Last edited by FlyEmirates7
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Leftside:

Since 2009?

Thats just crazy.  Taking your story for granted, if this guy developed such a grudge toward a 13 year old and has held onto it all this time, he is probably mentally ill.  

A guy like this I would feel more sorry for than anything.  Let it go man, you won.  

I never really thought of it that way, but yes. Maybe I should tell him that

JK, I'll let it go, if he doesn't talk crap about me (to my teammates or coaches at least, he can say what he wants to his own team but I will not tolerate a repetition of what happened last year).

Proving an old coach wrong is one thing.  Letting it bother you as much as it seems to is another.  You know he has issues.  Why would you let him drag you down to the level where you have issues too?  Be the better man.  Compete to the best of your ability to beat his team on the field (just like you would with any other opponent) and move on. 

If he continues to say things to other people instead of directly to you, that just confirms he has issues.  Let him continue to prove who he is.  Be the better man.  Prove who you are. 

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

Proving an old coach wrong is one thing.  Letting it bother you as much as it seems to is another.  You know he has issues.  Why would you let him drag you down to the level where you have issues too?  Be the better man.  Compete to the best of your ability to beat his team on the field (just like you would with any other opponent) and move on. 

If he continues to say things to other people instead of directly to you, that just confirms he has issues.  Let him continue to prove who he is.  Be the better man.  Prove who you are. 

A big plus one!  Let your actions on the field do the talking.  No need to get into a verbal pissing match on or off the field.   It's just not worth it.

Not to get overly spiritual here, but you need to google the word "forgiveness", and read up on the topic.

Frankly, this has become a cancer for YOU, not him.  He is who he is and, if as described, is likely a miserable and unhappy person.  You have an opportunity to be the bigger person and help free YOURSELF of the burden you're carrying due to his treatment of you in the past.

Seriously, google the word and also view a sermon or two from some church streams on the topic.  Not trying to get spiritual here, but there is a lot you can learn on the subject and I don't think you have even scratched the surface on how much burden YOU'RE carrying from your ordeal with this gentleman.

Good luck, pitch well, stay healthy and have a great summer and college career.

Last edited by Nuke83

The only person you are hurting is yourself. All of this whatever you want to call it you have inside of you towards this man is only going to eat at you. You will never find satisfaction in it. Only when you let it go and move on will you truly be free of it. You could make it to the bigs and throw a no no in the 7th game of the WS and this guy could still be talking smack. And instead of celebrating you would be thinking of how you could shut him up. Let it go and move on. Enjoy the game and the opportunity you have. Forget this type of stuff. If you look hard enough it will always be there. Move on and good luck.

Have to keep it in perspective. Do your thing.

A quick coach story. My son left his first-ever travel team (11u to 12u) because he wanted to play catcher badly. But our 3 LL kids joined a travel team comprising most of the LL All-Star players from a league south of us (same District). Kids got along fine for the most part but "our" boys always batted bottom of order and did not get to compete or play SS, CF, or C. My son got stuck at 1B and did great but always wanted to play catcher. Got some meaningless time behind the plate (where he busted his butt to impress) but it was clear he would not get to play C. So we left the team. When I told the coach he asked why we were leaving and I said because my son really wants to play on a team where he can play catcher. He told me, "your son is a fine player but he's just not a catcher." We part amicably.

Fast-forward to LL AS 10-11, 11-12, and Juniors. My son was the catcher who played great and we beat their AS team except Juniors when my son went 4-4 with 4 RBI. I saw that coach at a local Dick's sporting goods after the last LL AS season. He shook my hand and said my son is a great catcher and he was wrong.

Last edited by Batty67

Interesting story.  Let it go.  

You are hanging onto something that has little relevance to your goals today.  It is possible this guy is still bringing you down to his level after all these years and preventing you from reaching your optimal talent level..  One of you needs to be the adult, and I don't think it is going to be him.  Again, let it go and reach your potential.

As always JMO.

I would think as a pitcher you need to get your head into a zen type place....and thinking about this man isn't doing you any good and certainly isn't zen.

You want to truly get back at him...pretend like you don't even recognize him.  He's just another coach, it's just another game, and it has nothing to do with YOUR game.  Showing your a$$ to him in front of his team just proves him right and you wrong...pretending like you barely recall him will get him madder than confronting him.  He means nothing, he is nothing, so treat him like nothing.

Fly: You need to channel this motivation in a positive manner. Don't let this become a distraction. Your story just goes to show what a "small world" we all live in. Though from reading your post it may be hard, you need to keep your emotions in check for these games. Your teammates and coaches are counting on you to perform your best. It is far better for you to have a reputation as a pitcher who can pitch in the clutch, rather than pitcher who clutches onto some past baggage.

Release the anger and let your play speak for itself.  Be the better man.  There is nothing more satisfying then taking the high road, beating the p!ss out of someone and then shaking their hand at the end of the game without stooping to their level.  They will probably be more irritated that they did not get a reaction out of you.

As far as beaning his son.  Don't do it.  Your beef is not with his son but with him.  Plus imagine how you would feel if you hit him in the head or square on in the chest and put him in the hospital or even worse.

Not to pile on Fly, but you've already gotten your "revenge."   You've already proved him wrong time and time again.  Let it go.  Do your thing.  Focus forward.  You will be a much better man for it. Much better.  And you being the better man, makes the coach the smaller man.   Look wanting to prove a coach who underestimated you wrong is a very good thing.  But as you yourself implied, it's best to just let your game speak for itself.  And not just your outward game, but your inward game.  It's by exercising inward control and self-discipline that you will really prove him wrong, not by getting down there in the mud with him.

Let it go.  Focus forward. 

As a ball player and especially a pitcher, you need to grow thick skin and ignore this type of behavior. I was also a pitcher along time ago and faced verbal assaults by teams trying to rattle me. Put the past behind you and move on with what you have accomplished. You should be playing the game for yourself not to show up some old coach of yours. 

Living well and being happy is the best revenge in life...so if you translate that to baseball, playing well will be the best revenge.  In fact, I really think you will get more satisfaction if you rise above this and ignore this man.  When you engage him, you are giving him power where he deserves none.  I say, play your game, ignore this guy and in the end, that will make you the better man.  Is there a better outcome?

Also, it sounds like you are giving an awful lot of energy to this man and its all negative.

Replace it with positive energy...positive by rising above the fray and then beating his team. 

Last edited by JLC

Remember, 

the opposite of love is not hate, hate take very much the same energy, passion, focus and attention that love does.  The opposite of love is indifference.  Like a previous poster stated, don't even acknowledge him.  Focus on what you are doing and go about your business.  

There is also a chance that if you freak out and make an ass out of yourself (regardless of reason) you will really cause the coach at the JC you are headed to to assign a big red flag to your name. 

Fly,

Right now, you're losing this battle with the old coach. He owns you. No matter what you accomplish, he will continue to own you as long as you let his opinions of you affect how you play this game. You have proved him wrong, but still let him get under your skin. This could ruin your career if you don't get a handle on it. Go out there, do your job and smile in the knowledge that this SOB has no control over you or your emotions. Until you can get to that place, this guy still has a hold on you. Good luck.

I'll tell you this.  I am all for you sticking up for yourself, which you did:

"So after the game I was livid when it came to my attention, that he indeed was running his mouth. After the game, while the umps were walking off the field, I let him have it. I was holding in words I wanted to say to him for a very long time. I did so in front of everyone. I told him finally to go F himself in front of everyone. I told him he was a sh*tty coach back then and he needed to get over himself."

Now it is time to move on.  Life is too short to get caught up in this BS.  Good luck. 

Back when my son was 11, he played on a travel team for the 1st time.  It was just for the fall as kind of a fill in for some kids playing football.  He did very well and the coach begged for him to show up to tryouts for the spring team.  Well, he did go to the tryouts and did not make the team.  My son was devastated.  He cried that night.  We were not real happy with that coach.  He went back and played rec ball that spring.  

Two things happened after that which kind of helped us get our "revenge".  At the end of the spring season, that team needed some help for their end of the year tournament and they called and asked if my son would like to play.  He mulled it over and wound up saying yes.  He pitched, played short, 2nd and some outfield.  Pitched very well, made some spectacular plays in the field and hit well also.  All the parents on the team kept asking why we weren't playing for them and we told them because son was cut for the spring season.  They made a huge deal about it and it made my son feel pretty good.  He declined to play for them the following fall.  The other thing that happened was that his freshman year in HS, he was a starting pitcher on the HS varsity team.  We went to the school of the district where this coach lived to play their team.  That team was ranked #6 in the state in the highest classification at the time.  Well, that coach was at the game.  My son pitched a complete game and lost it 1-0.  The game lasted a total of 1 hour and 10 minutes and he threw 71 pitches in 6 innings.  I think I made a comment to the coach about him cutting my son that year and he admitted that it was a big mistake.  My son loved the fact that he pitched a great game and that coach was there.  Even said hi to him and shook hands after the game.  No animosity, no anger, just a really good feeling that the coach got to see what he had missed out on.

I would not let this anger you have rule your behavior.  As others have said, be the bigger man.  Just go out and do your job on the mound.  If you have the opportunity after the game, shake the coach's hand and tell him - Good game coach - and walk away.  That will have MUCH more impact than cussing him out.

You've gotten a lot of great advice above. My son also had a coach that told him he would never play high school ball - he was too short, too fat, not athletic enough, etc. He said these things to a 12 year old kid. My son made the varsity roster as a freshman. This same guy now says my kid has the body type that recruiters are looking for, he is very talented, etc. My son used this coach's words to motivate himself, but we never let him turn that motivation into a negative. It sounds like this has gotten away from you a little bit. I can definitely see how his treatment was very hurtful and you are still hurting from words and actions. As someone said above, the best revenge is playing your best and making him irrelevant. You've already proven him wrong. Time to stop giving him so much control over your future and make the most of your opportunities with positive motivation.

Good luck!

I'd take things a bit further than what most have said already. If everything you say about this individual is true, then obviously he's a poor excuse for a coach and a man.  Generally, there are two sides to every story.  But even as you've described him and his actions, that still only makes him about on par with a lot of secondary "dad" coaches out there.  Everyone has stories of "that" coach along the way... someone who was overly antagonistic, aggressive, negative, less than knowledgable about the game, etc.  Maybe your experience was more extreme than most... or maybe it's your reaction that has been more extreme... serving to fan the flames through the years.  It takes two to tango.

Ask yourself... Do you really think this coach is nearly so wound up about your joint history as you are... to write 8 or 9 lengthy, emotional paragraphs about it?  To me, regardless of what has transpired between the two of you, your post says something more about you than about the coach. As others have pointed out, you're sort of proving him right via your responses.  So let it go already and move on... Look for some bigger fish to fry.

My nerdy side coming out here.  Here's a book for you to read. 

It's the Enchiridion by the ancient philosopher Epictetus. It's about the importance of self-control and how to attain it.  And how focusing on what's in your control is the secret to true happiness and well being. 

Here's a link to it:

http://classics.mit.edu/Epictetus/epicench.html

I quote from the first chapter:

1. Some things are in our control and others not. Things in our control are opinion, pursuit, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever are our own actions. Things not in our control are body, property, reputation, command, and, in one word, whatever are not our own actions. 

The things in our control are by nature free, unrestrained, unhindered; but those not in our control are weak, slavish, restrained, belonging to others. Remember, then, that if you suppose that things which are slavish by nature are also free, and that what belongs to others is your own, then you will be hindered. You will lament, you will be disturbed, and you will find fault both with gods and men. But if you suppose that only to be your own which is your own, and what belongs to others such as it really is, then no one will ever compel you or restrain you. Further, you will find fault with no one or accuse no one. You will do nothing against your will. No one will hurt you, you will have no enemies, and you will not be harmed. 

Last edited by SluggerDad

Each of us has a finite amount of resources to apply to whatever set of thoughts and actions we choose to pursue. The amount we devote to one activity saps available resources from the others. Managing that process well and productively is one of the defining elements of maturity and has a great influence on our future as adults.

Do you really wish to continue devoting valuable resources to the enmity you feel for this former coach; or, would you prefer to channel those resources into other, more productive pursuits?

Put it behind you.

Thats a good story bballman!  I really like how the coach was willing to admit he made a mistake.

One side question - if you (or your son) "proves a coach wrong" - did they really?  Or was the coach possibly "right" at the time he made his decision?  I mean, after all, we all acknowledge that the 'best player' at 10 isn't necessarily the best one at 12...14...HS - right?

So what makes the coach "wrong" if we succeed later down the road in his face?  Maybe the coach is wrong, or maybe he was right...at that time?

Just something to think about - our younger son's HS coach has lots of stories about kids that barely made the team as freshmen but were stars by their senior year - including one who made it to MLB.

Last edited by justbaseball

justbaseball, I think a coach CAN make a "right" decision at the time, only to find out the kid matured in the meantime and it turns out he was wrong in retrospect.  There are plenty of stories of kids that were underachievers at one point only to mature into a completely different player as they get older.  

In the OPs case, and in my case, I don't think that is the situation.  One thing that happened in the OPs situation is that the coach told the player "You will never amount to anything - and I will make sure of that".  That is just plain wrong.  Another thing in this situation is that the coach WANTED him to play on the LL All-star team.  So, he obviously thought the player was good.  When the coach didn't get his way, he went out of his way to try and blackball the player.  This is wrong as well.  I think this particular coach made the "wrong" decision in attempting to "get back at" the player for not doing what he wanted and not that he thought the kid wasn't good enough, he wanted to punish the player emotionally as well by telling him he would never be good enough.  This guy is a jerk and should not be allowed to coach kids.  This player's feelings seem pretty justified, he just needs to get past it in a mature manner.

In my case, the coach begged my son to try out for the team when we weren't sure we were going to.  He then cut him only to have him play for him in the following season - like 4 months later - with my son proving his worth.  Yes, it was about 4 years later with the HS varsity situation, but less than a half year later, my son proved again that he should have made the team based on merit.  Not a lot had changed in those 4 months.

My situation is different than the OP in that the coach we were involved with was a nice guy.  I think the decision he made was a bad one, and I think he agreed.  With the OP, the guy is a jerk.  Both situations could bring about some animosity and a feeling of wanting to hold a grudge.  Both situations require someone being the bigger man and just going out and proving them wrong with action rather than words and animosity.  

I'm proud of how my son dealt with this at a young age.  We still talk and laugh about it from time to time.  I hope the OP will be able to look back on his situation and laugh about it one day instead of feeling angry about it.  Everyone faces obstacles in baseball and in life.  It's a matter of how you overcome those obstacles and come out on the other side that counts.

Can-o-corn

That is a good question. HS coach was pretty much absent throughout all this. I'm happy that he didn't listen to him in regards to cutting me from the team, but he never really did anything to him when he was acting a fool. Like I said before he was disciplined by our athletic department several times, including removal of position my sophomore spring season. Him and our head coach were really good friends and he kept calling him back. Though I really had issues with the man, I wasn't gonna be the one to complain to the head coach, so I just stood there and took it.

He isn't part of the HS program anymore that his son graduated.... Coincidence?

bballman - we agree with regards to the OP. If the story is accurate, then that coach is a total idiot and even a bad person.   We might agree(?) with regards to your own son but I don't know - you would know better than me.

But I think I've seen my point (posted above) play out many, many times over our sons' baseball journeys.  Coaches measure talent - now!  Not so much on potential except in rare cases.  Neither of our sons were the best player on their team or in their age group at 10, 12...14...HS freshmen, sophomore or juniors.  Neither was asked to play for the area high level travel team until they were sophomore (younger one) or junior (older one) despite being very visible in front of them.  Both went further than any of their teammates - but I would never say their coaches got their assessment wrong.  In fact, at the time they made those assessments, as much as it stung at times...I think they were spot on!!

I don't think they necessarily proved anyone "wrong."  Or at least not many - what they did was get better.

I just think, in general, its a good thought to keep in mind when these situations arise.  Is the coach full of $hit?  Or is he giving you a 'today-and-now' assessment?  A lot has to do with the neutrality of his assessment.

Last edited by justbaseball
During our Goodwill Series/Australia, Dave La Roche former Yankee pitcher was one of our coaches. His son Adam was a LHP/1b with a early "uppercut"swing and I mentioned to Dave that Adam would not make it as a hitter, maybe a pitcher. Of course, the rest is history. Adam still has the uppercut but $12 million a year. Bob

Something i've learned from my wife over the years, she calls it "killing them with kindness". These type of people thrive on this stuff, dont give it to him. IF you see him, smile at him, say hi like its the first time you've ever met him, then go play your game. That will eat him alive and at the same time you will be letting it go. You dont need to prove anything.

Thanks guys. Of course I am out of high school now but the effects are still there. This man gave me such a hard time, it was very difficult for me to handle sometimes. The fact that he'd even bring up this HS and little league BS in an outlet outside of the HS system last year, made me very upset. It was summer scout ball for crying out loud! And he still had the nerve to run his mouth that day AS AN UMPIRE WHO IS SUPPOSED TO BEHAVE IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER! I'm glad I got him suspended from umpiring the rest of that summer, that day. I wasn't planning on saying anything to him that day, until HE STARTED IT. Like, why would he talk sh*t about me to my teammate? Does he not think that my own teammate wouldn't have my back??

Now that he's an opposing coach now, you know I'm pumped for these next few days. I guess I'll just ignore him and let my game do the talking. I want to emphasize that I have no issues with my high school TRUE coaching staff, other than this man, who again, is daddy ball. I have no issues with daddy ball as their children doesn't effect me, but the way this man has treated me throughout the years, that's my problem.

At this point, he may just be trying to get under your skin to help his own team. And, from the above, it sounds like it is working... Basically, If you show emotion or respond to his actions, he wins... 

It is time to move on... and leave him behind.

As for coaches not seeing the talent - well, I often reflect back on my son's 12YO LL allstar team. Very strong team, went further than normal in the playoffs. Yet of the 12 kids on the roster, only 6 played HS ball. And only 3 played Varsity - and none of them were the stars of that LL team. Kids do grow up and change - and the best at 12 aren't always the best at 17. 

Last edited by 08Dad

I don't think this particular situation had anything to do with talent. This man is just an A**hole that just went out of his way to bring me down and to discourage me from playing. It was never about talent. 

I know there are coaches that cut kids, and then later those kids become studs. I know several kids like that. One of my good friends, his dad is a MAJOR LEAGUE hitting coach, I will not say who it is to protect their identity, but with his dad being a ML coach, his son never made a high school varsity team. He too was told that he'd never be a college player. Now, he is one. I know there are always circumstances like that where a coach may be wrong initially, or maybe they didn't have the talent to play AT THAT PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME. But that was not the case for me. 

Originally Posted by FlyEmirates7:

Thanks guys....the effects are still there. This man gave me such a hard time...

I want to emphasize that I have no issues with my high school TRUE coaching staff, other than this man... but the way this man has treated me throughout the years, that's my problem.

Not saying it will be easy but please re-read the posts in this thread.  Everyone has the same advice.  Everyone has been in a similar situation with people who have done them wrong for no good reason.  It happens and it will happen again.  Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond.

Re-read.  Re-read again.  Decide who you want to be. 

Best to you.

Originally Posted by Rob T:

I knew this old guy who told me one day how being angry and hateful would eventually be my downfall, and would keep me from ever accomplishing anything good in life.

Then my father picked the old guy up and threw him down this giant shaft.

Very strange day that was.

lol wut

Well, in Dad's defense his highly ranked team had just suffered an embarrassing loss to a bunch of short chubby guys swinging wood.  Classic case of taking an opponent too lightly.

Definitely something to be learned there. 

I have been following this for a while.  The one thing that keeps coming back to me is why local juco bullpen if you are throwing 85-86 consistently?  I read that as cruising there so maybe topping out at 87?  88?  That's well beyond local juco velocity unless you just happen to live near one of the big time jucos.  Is this velo a recent gain?  Are there serious control issues?  Or a lack of a second and third pitch?   This has just been bothering me.
Originally Posted by 2020dad:
I have been following this for a while.  The one thing that keeps coming back to me is why local juco bullpen if you are throwing 85-86 consistently?  I read that as cruising there so maybe topping out at 87?  88?  That's well beyond local juco velocity unless you just happen to live near one of the big time jucos.  Is this velo a recent gain?  Are there serious control issues?  Or a lack of a second and third pitch?   This has just been bothering me.

I'm sorry if it bothers you but this is rather irrelevant. Yes I'm playing for a juco, and this is Arizona, where juco talent is the upper echelon of most jucos in the country. I do not feel I need to justify my baseball endeavors in this particular post, as it is irrelevant to the initial post. I came here to seek advice, and I am seeing that perhaps just letting it go, forgiving, and moving on is simply the best policy. But thanks for your input.

I'm sorry if it bothers you but this is rather irrelevant. Yes I'm playing for a juco, and this is Arizona, where juco talent is the upper echelon of most jucos in the country. I do not feel I need to justify my baseball endeavors in this particular post, as it is irrelevant to the initial post. I came here to seek advice, and I am seeing that perhaps just letting it go, forgiving, and moving on is simply the best policy. But thanks for your input.

so I ask you a question and I get a rather terse response.  You really do need to control your emotions.  As a legendary college coach always said "a pitcher shows no emotion".  I tell my son that always.  You are very easily rattled.  You need to work on that.  Good luck.

I was cut my freshman and sophomore years of HS by a coach I despised.  I was known as a trouble maker and for getting into fights.  My Junior year, I made the varsity.  However, the coach that cut me could not let it go.  He made fun of me and had all kinds of things to say.  One time I ran into a fence, made a catch, got a bloody nose and he said I looked like a "cartoon."  I hated him.  Then, I realized one day that I was giving him too much power over me.  I played because I loved playing.  I made that catch because I was a hard charger.  Instead of spending time hating him, to me he didn't exist.  I really treated him that way.  Oh, I'd do what he told me but I would not show him any emotional response.  Several years later, I was giving a speech at a baseball coaches clinic up North and he was there.  I went over and said hey and we had a good time talking about my HS team and my Varsity Coach.  You have to let it go man!

so I ask you a question and I get a rather terse response.  You really do need to control your emotions.  As a legendary college coach always said "a pitcher shows no emotion".  I tell my son that always.  You are very easily rattled.  You need to work on that.  Good luck.

Why is where I play, velocity, role, etc. even relevant in this case? That's just my question. Why do you assume that I have no control or secondary pitches, when you don't even know who I am? Why are these questions even being asked? I love how you're saying I'm getting rattled. 

Why is where I play, velocity, role, etc. even relevant in this case? That's just my question. Why do you assume that I have no control or secondary pitches, when you don't even know who I am? Why are these questions even being asked? I love how you're saying I'm getting rattled. 

Fly, I think you need to take a step back and look at this.  While 2020 asked a question that does not really have much bearing on the discussion he may have been asking to point out something based on your response.   

Based on your response I have to agree, you have a lot of growing to do in this area.  If you are letting this question and response bother you it says a lot about how you deal with your anger.  Allowing your emotions get the better of you will not serve you well in the long run.  Either in baseball or in life.  Your young yet, but learning how to keep your emotions in check, throttle down your ego and take the high road will serve you much better then jumping all over someone and seeking out revenge.

2020Dad asked questions and didn't make assertions.  You came here asking for advice.  You are getting it.  To take these questions and then fly off like that to someone who is responding to you may be the exact same reason you are in this situation.  Since you are headed to a JUCO, you're old enough to start being an adult.  When I was your age, I was in a factory on midnight shift as a welder and going to school during the day.  Be thankful of what you have been given.  Let it go. 

When you stated you wanted to hit the coach's son for what the coach did to you, imo, that said a lot about you.  Grow up!  One other thing, since you need to hear this young man, what is the purpose of telling all of us how obese the coach is?  It really has nothing to do with the story.  Yet, you pointed it out several times.  That type of personal attack shows a lot about character.  JMHO!

Darrell Butler

Hi guys,

Just an update on this. Well first off I'd like to say that there was no confrontation, no fights, and the coach didn't say one thing about me, at least to my knowledge. I didnt ask, I didn't care.

However, today when I was pitching, I did let the past and his presence get to me today. I threw 2 innings, the first one was money as I went in the game in the 5th. 7 pitches, was throwing gas, 1-2-3 inning. When I went back out for the 6th, I really let the game get away from me. I was really thinking way too hard about proving that man wrong, and that inning was literally, an abortion. Walked guys, got hit around, etc. Ended up giving up 6. 

Anyways, yeah, you guys are right that I do need to learn to not let the past get to me, which it did today. I am rather annoyed with myself, that today, he was right about me. Everything he said was right about me, at least for today. I'm rather annoyed with myself that I work very, very hard and today I just didn't have it today. I'm sad that I gave him the satisfaction today that he was right about me all along.

Anyways, time to move on. I won't be seeing him for a while as we don't play them again, and his son goes to school out of state. Thanks for the advice guys. Hope I can get a short memory and be prepared to throw again this weekend. Plenty of more opportunities ahead and this is not the end goal. But I guess I should probably change the title of this post to proving an old coach right, LOL.

I apologize to 2020Dad for getting feisty.

Fly,

I hope you are able to do what you are saying.  It isn't easy.  All I can say is that having been around baseball with my sons for what is now our 17th season the greatest amount of talent in the world won't help much if you aren't mentally strong.  As my son's pitching coach says, the most important pitch is the next one.  Flush it and move on.  You can practice that in your real life.  It doesn't matter what others say about you if you know it isn't true.  They can sling crap all they want and the only person they will get it on is themselves if you refuse to participate.

Thanks guys, one of my coaches suggested Cain's work to me as well. I just bought his CD and book. And it's not that I refused to listen, it's that it just overcame me. I tried to control it as much as I could. I tried not to let it affect me, but it did. I mean, I am still disgusted with myself, that I proved him right. He told me to hang up my cleats, that I'll never amount to anything, that I shouldn't be playing baseball, and I feel like he was right all along. I am sad that he is probably at his house right now with a big ol' smile on his face, satisfied that he got his way. And I'm here miserable... I'll get over it.

Fly, that coach is probably not even thinking about you at all.  My guess is he has totally forgotten about all this.  By you thinking that he is still obsessed with you, you're still letting him control you.  And one bad outing does not mean you should hang your cleats up.  It means you had one bad outing.  

You need to get over the bad outing AND you need to forget about this coach.  I hope the material you went out and bought helps you.  

What will prove him right, if he is thinking about you, is if you hang up your cleats now.

If you love baseball, you won't hang up your cleats, and you'll figure out a way to grow from this.  It's obvious that you're not afraid to ask for help; you came here for some.  That tells me you're bright enough to work your way out of this.

Quit on your own terms, if you're gonna quit.

The bully rarely ever remembers.  You have to know he was wrong, realize telling him or showing him wont do any good, and just know you were right all along.  Quote from a movie:

Shen: How did you find peace? I took away your cleats! Everything! I scarred you for life!

Po: See, that's the thing, Shen. Scars heal.

Shen: No they don't. *Wounds* heal.

Po: Oh, yeah. What do scars do? They fade, I guess?

Shen: I don't *care* what scars do!

Po: You should, Shen. You gotta let go of that stuff from past, because it just doesn't matter! The only thing that matters is what you choose to be now.

Shen: You're right. Then I choose *this*!

[Shen attacks Po with his knives; they fight until Shen accidentally dislodges his destroyed cannon and is crushed by it]

Thanks guys. Of course I am out of high school now but the effects are still there. This man gave me such a hard time, it was very difficult for me to handle sometimes. The fact that he'd even bring up this HS and little league BS in an outlet outside of the HS system last year, made me very upset. It was summer scout ball for crying out loud! And he still had the nerve to run his mouth that day AS AN UMPIRE WHO IS SUPPOSED TO BEHAVE IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER! I'm glad I got him suspended from umpiring the rest of that summer, that day. I wasn't planning on saying anything to him that day, until HE STARTED IT. Like, why would he talk sh*t about me to my teammate? Does he not think that my own teammate wouldn't have my back??

Now that he's an opposing coach now, you know I'm pumped for these next few days. I guess I'll just ignore him and let my game do the talking. I want to emphasize that I have no issues with my high school TRUE coaching staff, other than this man, who again, is daddy ball. I have no issues with daddy ball as their children doesn't effect me, but the way this man has treated me throughout the years, that's my problem.

Haters gunna hate. Old saying,but still appropriate and true. The best players in every town have taken playing time from several players in their career. They have parents, many who are less than gracious.Use it as motivation and please leave it there. Play well and please act like you have been there before.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.