Skip to main content

I am a 15yo hs player who mainly plays catcher but also pitches sometimes. I enjoy pitching a lot but I like catching aswell. I throw 73-76 mph at 5'9 145lbs. I also have a slider with a lot of movement that gets a lot of swing and misses, along with a okay curveball and sinker. I start behind the plate for my team but want to be a starting pitcher aswell. In my first start i went 6.1 3 hits 0 runs 6ks. then against the same team the next week went 2.0 6 runs 2 earned with 3ks. I'm very inconsistent on the mound but do very well behind the plate. I hit decent not a lot of swing and misses just contact right at fielders. I'm not done growing and will only get stronger. Any advice on what i should do?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The coach will decide whether or not you pitch often.  So if you want to pitch, you should talk to the coach about whether he thinks it would be worth it for you to do some specific work (either inside the program, or private lessons) for pitching.

What high school team are you on this year?  Remember that on any team, the players change from year to year - it could be that they need your pitching one year but not the next, depending on who else they have.

A friend of mine was a high school catcher committed to Mississippi. Halfway through his senior year pitching injuries put him on the mound for the first time. He dominated in a large high school classification baseball hotbed.

When he arrived at Mississippi he was informed he would be a pitcher. He pitched in MLB for six seasons.

@rchezz posted:

I am a 15yo hs player who mainly plays catcher but also pitches sometimes. I enjoy pitching a lot but I like catching aswell. I throw 73-76 mph at 5'9 145lbs. I also have a slider with a lot of movement that gets a lot of swing and misses, along with a okay curveball and sinker. I start behind the plate for my team but want to be a starting pitcher aswell. In my first start i went 6.1 3 hits 0 runs 6ks. then against the same team the next week went 2.0 6 runs 2 earned with 3ks. I'm very inconsistent on the mound but do very well behind the plate. I hit decent not a lot of swing and misses just contact right at fielders. I'm not done growing and will only get stronger. Any advice on what i should do?

What do you want to do?

Do you have a preference for pitching vs catching?

Do you like pitching? If so, then why not develop the skill?

At 15, it seems to me anyway you can get yourself on the field is a good thing. As stated above, you need to be mindful of overuse.

My son didn’t pitch in HS until his senior year (he was a corner infielder), and then only as a closer or stopper. He was drafted as pitcher, so you never know where expanding your abilities can take you (true for all aspects of life).  

To give some answers, 1. I'm on a freshman team with grade eights and nines going to 17u next year. 2. Right now I want to do both I tore my rotator cuff last October and my arm is struggling to get stronger so I'm scared to pitch but still really want to. I prefer catching but it depends on the team we face and if I'm in relief or starting, I prefer catching against top teams and relieving vs them but I prefer starting against middle teams.

You need to ask yourself why do you play and what do you want from the experience?

Baseball is an interesting sport because most that have played at any level have daydreamt about playing at the highest levels (D1 or pro). There’s a whole fantasy camp industry based on living those dreams for us older fans (here’s Boston’s camp – almost $6K for a week and sold-out way in advance).

I think the goal is to make the memories when you’re young and play in a way that allow you to love the game with a such a passion, you’d want to do a fantasy camp as an older person (either as a camper or player).

Clearly, the most important thing is to take care of your body and health, but after that it’s playing the game on your terms (for you and your teammates). As you mature (don’t be in a hurry) you and your coaches will learn where your ceiling is (HS, college, pro) and you can base your decisions on your trajectory.

My son was a 4-hole hitter and corner infielder for 3 years in HS varsity but became a PO (pitcher only) the moment that last varsity game was over. He felt that being a pitcher was his path to continue playing at the next level – his choice, and he was right.

Stay healthy, we only get one body – have fun! – and do what you want to do (assuming it’s within the coaches’ guidelines).

Good luck this season!

rcheez:

When you "warm up" do you catch the thrown ball "one-handed" or shift your feet to catch the ball with both hands?

Because you also pitch it can produce a different "arm angle" and contribute to your throwing problems to 2b on runners stealing.

Successful catchers learn to shift their feet and transfer the thrown pitch to their right hand "quickly" and smooth. Study the film clips of ML catchers.

Their are drills to practice. Do you live in Western Canada?

Bob

for bob, do you mean before inning throw downs? If so, I shift my feet to get centred to 2b while gaining ground. I throw three quarters off the mound so I understand what you mean by producing a different arm angle behind the plate, sometimes I leave my arm three quarters while catching and the ball tails a ton. Yes I live in western canada.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.