Skip to main content

After taking a 6 month vacation (PD might call it a suspension) from the high school baseball web, I had a conversation with an old friend who encouraged me to read a recent post. By the way, nice touch Gut on the Tonight post. Innocently I began reading recent insights and it struck me that once again I was attacked by the addiction that is the HSBBW.

As I read through the posts regarding the "list" it reminded me that this subject is consistant with what I experienced coaching, in business and life in general. It is the 80/20 rule. No matter what you do or how you do it, you can generally get no more than 80% of people to agree with your method or approve of your actions. The amazing thing is that we do not focus on the 80% that agree, we turn our attention and ire towards the 20% that don't. I have never been associated with Perfect Game, but everything, and I mean everything, I have heard has been extremely positive. Mr. Ford does not need to concern himself with the 20% nay sayers that question his intentions or motives on this board. Be elated that you are pleasing 80% of those that know what you do. .800 ball is pretty good ball.

What would it look like if we devoted our focus towards the 80% good things that will happen this high school baseball season? Contrast that to focusing all your efforts on the 20% bad things that will happen. Which makes for a more enjoyable baseball season?

To all coaches, it is the same thing. Focus your energy and time to those 80% that are always going to give you their best. There will be 20% that do not think you are fair, or think you don't make the right decision, or have convinced mom and dad you are the Devil. Don't major on the minor. Feel rewarded you are playing .800 ball and reward the 80% with your knowledge of the game and ability to teach.

To all players, enjoy it 'cause it ain't gonna last. Do not allow yourself to destroy the joy of playing this great game by focusing on the 20%. Understand you "WILL" play your last game and when it is over, it is over. The memories of the 80% can last a lifetime if that 80% is your focus today.

To all parents, push the 80% to 90%-100%, 'cause it ain't gonna last. My oldest is less than 9 months from being gone and I would hate to look back and think I was victimized by the dreaded 20%. The thrill of watching your son be the best player he can be, whether he hits .250 or .350 should be enough. The thrill of watching your son take what he learned on the baseball field and apply it to being a successful man should be priceless.

THE 80/20 RULE - SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Happy Baseball
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's a great lesson in life that can help turn everyone in all aspects of their life into a power performer. It is sad to see the negative effects of focusing on the negative and forgetting the positive. Lest we all think we are immune, just remember the last great game your son had and how long the euphoria lasted (not long) and then think about the last terrible game he had - and how long that hung around.
A good point of view but yet it miss uses a very important life lesson that is very true in sports.

The real 80/20 rule is 20% of all revenue is produced by 20% of the producer. In life...in every aspect of life 20% of the people hit 80% of the RBI's, have the good ideas, sell the big account ...volunteer the most at church.

Most people, the 80%, need to look at what the 20% are doing and try to help, be a good team mate, pick a player up if you get my drift. Enjoy watching but try to do what the 20% are doing.

Me, I have always been in the 20%, but I don't focus on the negative, if I see a better player, I study him figure out how to beat him or play better defense...make better pitches.

I call BULL****, on the 80%. At no time in life is it ever good enough to be part of the herd....Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.

As for PG, I am sure they and their lists are all about the 20% not the 80%. I am sure they are a good organization.... But here is the real world if you are in the 20% that have a chance to make it at the next level I am sure the player and his family will find a way for the player to earn his shot.

This web site is too full of posers who claim to know everything about everything but don't pass along enough information to keep new parents or players interested. It seems like the same posters time in and time out telling every one what is right. This really limits the board.

I have a lot to learn about helping my son get to the next level, but it is hard to learn when it is the same opinions from the same posers time in and time out.

aplanodads's insight about having one son in the minor leagues and another boy in the process...those are the guys we all need to hear more from without other poster knocking what they say.

I enjoy every pitch and play and basketball shot from my boy...but when it is over it will be over....well I do have a 6 and a 4 year old.... I do hope he learns how to be in the 20% and produce and not be part of the crowd.

In the end, he is a winner, I will focus more on kicking the *** of the 80% and make more money and I will teach him how to do the same.

Welcome back Vandy, I hope to meet you and learn about baseball from you but the 80/20 rule is something that needs to stay pure.

20% of us produce the revenue that the 80% of you live off of..you have a chioce in life, you can be revenue or you can be overhead. This is very true in sports but a fact in life.
Last edited by ACowboyFan
Meatsdad, I think you missed Lynn's point.

Sure, there is a 80/20 rule in the business world, or as you say at church or a club you belong to...and I can assure you Lynn belongs to the 20% of doers. At one time a couple of years ago he was coaching 3 teams simultaneously.

His point was more of a glass half empty half full arguement.
As a bit of an aside, the old rule I always liked best was the 90-10 rule. When an old fishing buddy would take me out on his boat, his comment was that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish. He could sure work that jig.

Back on point, I really liked the original post. I can't disagree with the idea that 20% of the players might generate 80% of the production. However, in my business, I see people in sales and I see their ups and downs. One month they could have awesome production and they are pumped. However, it seemed like many of them easily got pulled into the pit when things weren't so good. The good is so easily forgotten and the bad is often so hard to let go. The initial post reminded me of what I have seen in so many aspects of our lives. As I said, I can be as guilty as the rest. The euphoria of a great game cools down a lot more quickly for me than getting over a poor game. That, to me, is what ties into the initial post. If we can learn to focus on the positive and not dwell on the negative - we have learned something valuable.
quote:
I have a lot to learn about helping my son get to the next level, but it is hard to hard when it is the same opinions from the same old men time in and time out. aplanodads's insight about having one son in the minor leagues and another boy in the process...those is the guys we all need to hear about and from.

I feel that most of the "same old men" on this site offer invaluable experience and opinions. Yes, you have to mull through a lot of misinformation to get what works for you, but the "old men" usually point out the bad.

There is a reason that this website is the best and most comprehensive information site on the internet when it comes to High School baseball as it relates to recruiting. If there is a better one, please let me know.

You have 80% of the money, feel free to start one. lol

Just one old man's opinion.
quote:

I have a lot to learn about helping my son get to the next level.

I'm no genius, but in your reference to corporate america, generally we learn from those who have experience in the field.

The old men you are referring to may actually be younger than you think, as well as already achieved the levels you hope your son will obtain.

Is 31 old? Big Grin
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
quote:
20% of us produce the revenue that the 80% of you live off of..you have a chioce in life, you can be revenue or you can be overhead. This is very true in sports but a fact in life.

I want to sincerely thank you for allowing me to live off your hard earned riches in Coppell. I would have never made it to the old age of 39 without your efforts. I hope your 4 & 6 year olds both "choose" to be .400 hitters and have a long and prosperous major league career. Wink
Last edited by Vanlandingham
I support MeatsDad....BUT I am sure you knew I assist a fellow neighboor! Big Grin

Hey for $500 I can promote your son! Wink just kidding take it easy PG. Just having fun.

I can not wait until this season Meat. We are looking strong again! I heard the band is practicing at that other school already anticpating our arrival again!!! The weather Gods will not be that kind this year to them.
This site won't work as well as it should if people get lambasted every time they have a different opinion. WE ALL should know if we took our kids out of select baseball we would save enough $ to pay for their college education twice over! Don't forget this is a way for all of us to learn how to help our kids get to the "next" level...but it should be about helping our kids help their high school teams to the "next" level and in turn they will get more exposure. Team first boys!
I will add: ask your son tonight if he wants to go to Paris Jr. college if that is the only offer he gets or if he would like to go to a big school (say where dad might have gone). You might be surprised at the look you get when they first realize they all can't go D1. IMHO
I thought I’d try to pull these old bones from my rocking chair and add a few comments to this topic on ‘Life’s Lessons’. I’m not sure I totally subscribe to the 80/20 % rule. It’s like the old concept of the Bell Curve, there are a lot of variables to consider such as the statistical sample you use. If you take an infinite sample I’d say both are more than likely correct. Regardless, what Van says is a very astute observation and ‘right on’ from my perspective. If you will focus on the positives, teach your son to perform and achieve to the best of his ability on and off the field and give him the support he needs to become a productive citizen, you will have done a commendable job. Remember there are no guarantees and there is life after baseball to prepare for.

As for your comments Meatsdad, all I can think is WOW! Sure glad you are in that 20%. Sure hope you can get that sorry 80% to follow your lead. Being a long time veteran of the corporate wars err world I think you are over simplifying the problem. Politics plays as much a part in the corporate business world today as it does up on the hill in Washington. Politics distracts from any 20/80 % theory one might promote but also is too complicated and not right for this forum to discuss.

I have one final comment. Aplanodad15, I’m not sure what point you are trying to make with your comparison of Dad’s D1 school vs. Paris JC but I think your comparison should be more generic. I assure you Paris JC has the finest gentlemen playing baseball there and a terrific coach in Deron Clark who instills the utmost integrity in these kids. You’ve given your opinion and now you have mine.

I have to crawl back into my rocking chair now and get some rest. I have a marathon to run on Saturday. –Regards-
The original post was fine. I think the whole PG issue was beaten to death in the other topic line.

But wasn't Vandy's post really a negative view of the 20% who offered opinions that don't subscribe to PG being of value?

I am glad to have the 39 yr old Vandy back, I really am.

I was just offering a different opinion on the 80/20 rule, not on Vandy's statements.

If afforded the opportunity Meat will attend every PG event he can.

In our house we focus on the positive aspects of sports and competeing. I always remind my son to have fun right before every game he plays...that helps me as well to focus more on the 80% good in every game.

I do learn from almost all the posts...including my own after the fact.

I always look at the glass as half full...and I hope to be helpful in finding ways to fill it up.

I am by nature a very optimistic, I beleive in the good that both the 80% and the 20% can deliver in this world. Learning from other peoples negatives can be pain not experienced.

Most of the people I know in Coppell work hard for a living including myself, the water is fine.

I did not personally attack any one or their point of veiw but in general said that we should not let the over-posters stop us from learning from all of those that post.

As for Train, thank you again for being a good neighbor. The varsity level experience Meat is getting on the basketball floor should help him be better prepared for the baseball wars this Spring. I hope he gets all the sophmore mistakes out of the way in basketball ( and there have been several) before he takes the mound. You are right it is a very strong roster...full of old men that I hope Meat can learn from and maybe contribute to the winning effort as well.

One final note on learning from this website, Meat took a full 6 weeks off from his last pitching lesson in Oct., he didn't pick up a ball or a glove. Not only is his arm well rested but he was really looking forward to throwing and getting back into baseball. Of coarse we did a little long toss the week before he went back to lessons. We are using a pitching coach the HS coach is familiar with and the lessons are at the facility of the summer team he will play for in 2006 and beyond ...God Willing.

I hope no one can find fault with this post but as Vandy said you can't please all the people all the time.
Last edited by ACowboyFan
quote:
This site won't work as well as it should if people get lambasted every time they have a different opinion.

One of the difficulties web posting is a kind of pack mentality when someone takes a minority position. Then, inevitably someone takes it personally or feels ganged up on. Also, it has been my experience that not being able to see expression or hear intonation greatly impacts how one takes a particular comment.

I will say that the moderators on this site do a darn good job. The owner is a very caring, genorous and giving person. A lot of people read this site every day. It is really a remarkable community.
Ok, Van. Besides I think my boy will be wearing the same team colors as yours this year. Meat will be on the DBAT U16 Team this summer.

I know Train would prefer Meat was a Tiger but we never had the $50 bucks for the try-out...ha ha ha

I don't know anyone in Coppell who would ever refer to Coppell as Highland Park West, I believe that would be Southlake. And we definitely aren't Flower Mound East because they are Lewisville West.

Coppell is just plain Coppell.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.