Skip to main content

@9and7dad posted:

So you're saying, with certainty, that Texas A&M University purposely exposed student athletes to the Covid virus.  Just want to be sure I understand your charge in this post.

Yep, and coaches. They aren't the only ones to do it. Other schools encouraged kids who didn't have Covid to be around kids who did have it.

And I wouldn't say it was the university encouraging it.

Last edited by TerribleBPthrower

What I find hard to believe is there are people willing to make assumptions and then make assertions with no actual basis.  As a parent of a former SEC athlete, I appreciate the economics lesson on the conference, but I already have a pretty good understanding of them.

I wasn't attempting to pick some sort of message board internet squabble with you.  Your singling out specifically of A&M is what caught my attention, under the assumption you knew something directly.  I now have a better understanding.

@RJM posted:

In case you’re not aware of how far Mississippi State came in a short time …

2021 SEC tournament:

Florida 13 Miss State 1

Tennessee 12 Miss State 2

And not only that, Vanderbilt beat MS two out of three back in April.  Granted, that series was in Nashville.

Would be pretty tough for a team to play a better overall game than Mississippi State played last night.  Pitching, defense, hitting - they did it all.

@TPM posted:

Ok, we get that you don't like Corbin or Vandy. But did you ever think that there are parents here whose sons play at Vandy.

Enough.  Don't post anything unless you can back it up.

Yeah, I don't understand the Corbin and Vandy beating here.  When the NC State disqualification first surfaced, I saw insinuation and accusation here that Corbin had a "spy" in the NC State team and was the one who tattled on NC State, that it was Corbin who insisted NC State gets tested.  When the full story came out, it was NC State who voluntarily reported and submitted to the tests.  Then there's something about Vandy getting away with not being test only for the reports to come out later that all of Vandy players were tested after the NC State issue came out.

I was rooting for MS State bec I liked rooting for the underdog and I think it was unfair for MS State that Vandy got to skip that Sat game against NC State (although it wasn't Vandy's fault).  But I don't understand the negativity against Vandy and Corbin (I can understand the negativity against the Whistler though).

@atlnon posted:

Yeah, I don't understand the Corbin and Vandy beating here.  When the NC State disqualification first surfaced, I saw insinuation and accusation here that Corbin had a "spy" in the NC State team and was the one who tattled on NC State, that it was Corbin who insisted NC State gets tested.  When the full story came out, it was NC State who voluntarily reported and submitted to the tests.  Then there's something about Vandy getting away with not being test only for the reports to come out later that all of Vandy players were tested after the NC State issue came out.

I was rooting for MS State bec I liked rooting for the underdog and I think it was unfair for MS State that Vandy got to skip that Sat game against NC State (although it wasn't Vandy's fault).  But I don't understand the negativity against Vandy and Corbin (I can understand the negativity against the Whistler though).

Because we live in the Conspiracy Theory era. 

@Go44dad posted:

That’s not it at all. It’s because if you scroll far enough on twitter/social media/chat boards you will find a comment from an anonymous user that outrages/insinuates without fact/perpetuates your belief.

That’s not a conspiracy, it’s a troll.

Well I don't do that.  So I guess you are saying that we have a troll amongst us? 😏

I was rooting for MS State, but I have the highest respect for Corbin. He was the first coach that ever made me think, " I want a man like that in charge of my kid if he's 1000 miles away and I can't be there."  I've discovered that a lot of coaches aren't what they appear to be but I'll be devastated if I find out Corbin isn't.  I don't think someone can fake it that well and have so many players from the past love you and invite you to their wedding and not be the real deal.  Unless you have some solid proof that he is shady, those comments shouldn't be thrown around.

Last edited by baseballhs
@baseballhs posted:

I was rooting for MS State, but I have the highest respect for Corbin. He was the first coach that ever made me think, " I wanted a man like that in charge of my kid if he's 1000 miles away and I can't be there."  I've discovered that a lot of coaches aren't what they appear to be but I'll be devastated if I find out Corbin isn't.  I don't think someone can fake it that well and have so many players from the past love you and invite you to their wedding and not be the real deal.  Unless you have some solid proof that he is shady, those comments shouldn't be thrown around.

100% agree. My son has 4 friends/teammates going there to play for him (well, only 2 may end up there) and he says they’ve always had absolutely nothing but amazing things to say about him and the program.

I was rooting for MSU, not against Vandy. There’s a difference.

A lot of things have gone on that have been really bad optics for the NCAA and Vanderbilt which have resulted in a lot of shade being thrown at both on social media. It certainly doesn’t mean it’s accurate and/or justified but to some extent both have been found guilty in the court of public opinion. FWIW I also have never heard negative comments about Corbin and he has been around a long time. As a frame of reference, I have been hearing negative comments from players, former players, and parents about many HCs at high profile SEC and Big12 programs. Many of these guys have a good public persona but are different guys behind the protective curtains of their programs.

@DD 2024 posted:

@Stuckinnewengland

I can understand that someone would not want to be forced to take a vaccine, or any other medicine, or have their kids be forced to take it. That makes sense.

But the reasons you cite for your refusal contain some inconsistencies:

"For 16-24 year olds are at 150/100,000 hospitalizations "with" covid in the last 16 months. 16-24 year olds have 200/100,000 hospitalizations with in 7 days  of getting vaccinated with Pfizer that were reported"

a- No vaccine is fully effective immediately. For covid, the time to T cell recognition is about 14 days.

b- The two-part mRNA vaccines are not fully effective until 14 days after the *second* injection. That's about 35 days after the first injection, assuming 21 days between jabs. In other words, there's a 35 day window where infection can occur post-vaccination.

c- Vaccines are necessarily tested in areas where the transmission rate of the virus is high....if there's no outbreak, there's no way to test whether the vaccines work. See (b) above.

"There's also zero evidence that the shot stops transmission."

If I don't have the flu, I can't transmit it to you.

Same with covid.

DD sorry for taking so long to get back to your reply but I needed some time away from this thread for my sanity. Even though I disagree with you I like your passion for this and that you use data for your replies. Your part (b) looks to be accurate. Part (a) I have have no idea on this as I've only studied T cells from natural immunity. Part (c) makes sense but none of these 3 things have any relevance to the stats I posted. The 150 per 100,000 hospitalizations with a positive test is just someone 16 - 24 that was in the hospital that tested positive for the virus. They could have been in there for a broken leg or been in there because they were sick from the virus. Most of this data is from a time period where the vaccine wasn't available to this age group. The 200 per 100,000 that were hospitalized with in 7 days after the shot weren't hospitalized from the virus, they were hospitalized from having an adverse side affect from the vaccine. This is actually slightly lower than the 12 -15 age group hospitalizations from the vaccine according to the Pfizer trial. But it's higher than being in the hospital from natural infection. As far as your last point it's true if you don't have the virus you can't transmit it but as other people have pointed out the vaccines don't prevent infection, they lesson symptoms of the infection. Now I will agree that if you don't have symptoms it will be very rare to be infectious which is why people with no symptoms should not be tested but if you have symptoms you will be infectious for a period of time.

DD sorry for taking so long to get back to your reply but I needed some time away from this thread for my sanity. Even though I disagree with you I like your passion for this and that you use data for your replies. Your part (b) looks to be accurate. Part (a) I have have no idea on this as I've only studied T cells from natural immunity. Part (c) makes sense but none of these 3 things have any relevance to the stats I posted. The 150 per 100,000 hospitalizations with a positive test is just someone 16 - 24 that was in the hospital that tested positive for the virus. They could have been in there for a broken leg or been in there because they were sick from the virus. Most of this data is from a time period where the vaccine wasn't available to this age group. The 200 per 100,000 that were hospitalized with in 7 days after the shot weren't hospitalized from the virus, they were hospitalized from having an adverse side affect from the vaccine. This is actually slightly lower than the 12 -15 age group hospitalizations from the vaccine according to the Pfizer trial. But it's higher than being in the hospital from natural infection. As far as your last point it's true if you don't have the virus you can't transmit it but as other people have pointed out the vaccines don't prevent infection, they lesson symptoms of the infection. Now I will agree that if you don't have symptoms it will be very rare to be infectious which is why people with no symptoms should not be tested but if you have symptoms you will be infectious for a period of time.

Got it.  Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate you coming back  

So,

1.5/1000 hospitalized young people test + for covid randomly

vs

2/1000 young people hospitalized with adverse side effects from covid vaccines within 7 days of receiving them

Do you have a link to that study? I would love to see it. Would be interested in the collection and data.

And not to get too technical but one of the ways that B cells fight infection is by interfering with reception of the virus. This is different from antibodies or T cell reaction, which act more immediately but in a different way. It’s like the infantry vs the artillery!

🔫 💣

Last edited by DD 2024

@adbono I agree it was a classy move and his post-game was just as classy. The players all work their rears off and buy into a system and for the most part leave Vandy well-prepared for what's next in life. I think a lot of the vitriol comes from the scholarship advantage they have because they are a well-endowed smaller private school. They are able to tap into scholarships that are available to all students which gives them a huge financial recruiting advantage over other school. Some other schools have that option or other types of options (like Hope in GA) but Vandy's success has made them a target--the fact that Corbin has used it so effectively and recruits so young frustrates other fan bases. Then you add in the Whistler and the non-stop coverage of a few of their players (they must have shown Leiter and Rocker's parents in the stands 1000 times) and it's all over in terms of public perception. 

FWIW, I think he runs a great program but you have to be a kid that responds to how they operate. When my son heard Corbin say, "I can look at how neat a kid's locker is and learn a lot about him" (implying that if it's messy the kid is not going to be detail-oriented or committed on the field), he lost interest in Vandy. He has ADHD and organizational functioning is his weak point and he knew that the last thing he needed was a coach that was going to pre-judge him because his cubby wasn't neat.

Just my two cents.

@RJM posted:

What’s the second most annoying thing at a baseball game to The Whistler?

A bored fan with a Vuvuzela. In the bottom of the 12th some obnoxious fan started in at the Red Sox-A’s game.

No question the Whistler ranks #1 by a wide margin.  He really does make people think negatively about Vanderbilt.  I like Corbin.  I think he runs a great program, but it doesn't take much for people to sour on a program that allows that sideshow.

My 2nd place annoying award is a three way tie between the Cleveland Indians drummer, cowbells of any type, and the Atlanta Braves tomahawk chop & accompanying oooooh-ooooh-ooooh.   I understand the Indians drummer is recovering from triple bypass surgery and has not attended a game in 2021.  I wish him well in his recovery, and I hope he gets to a game soon WITHOUT his bass drum.   Cowbells were designed for livestock not baseball.  The Braves tomahawk chop is just stupid.   Really that is all Braves fans can come up with after 30 years?   There I said it, and I've thought it was stupid previous to political correctness in the 1990s.

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
@fenwaysouth posted:

No question the Whistler ranks #1 by a wide margin.  He really does make people think negatively about Vanderbilt.  I like Corbin.  I think he runs a great program, but it doesn't take much for people to sour on a program that allows that sideshow.

My 2nd place annoying award is a three way tie between the Cleveland Indians drummer, cowbells of any type, and the Atlanta Braves tomahawk chop & accompanying oooooh-ooooh-ooooh.   I understand the Indians drummer is recovering from triple bypass surgery and has not attended a game in 2021.  I wish him well in his recovery, and I hope he gets to a game soon WITHOUT his bass drum.   Cowbells were designed for livestock not baseball.  The Braves tomahawk chop is just stupid.   Really that is all Braves fans can come up with after 30 years?   There I said it, and I've thought it was stupid previous to political correctness in the 1990s.

JMO.

Back in LL all stars there was one team/league that showed up with rocks in plastic bottles. There were about a thousand people at the section championship. The noise from about five hundred shaking bottles was deafening.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.