Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Hipper:
Don't rule out the kids playing at the Freshman level and have not been moved up. Geneva has a Freshman capable of playing at most Varsity programs.

My intention was not to berate any coaches. Just that there are some capable players at the Freshman Level that don't get moved up until they are at the Sophomore level. In the long run they are probably better off getting maximum playing time at the Freshman level.
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
Cowboyfan, thanks for the names of some "downstaters"

I wish more people contributed to this so we can watch these boys grow.

I follow high school and college baseball more than ever and love to see names like Upton, Tulowitski and Longoria...players I've been watching and reading about for several years now!

Please add Kyle Wood from St. Laurence to the list
Biggerpapi,

Do you mind if I ask where you got these names from?

LEt me know. Thanks a lot.

quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
Micah McCulloch, RHP/3B, Rockford Boylan

Phil Toldo, MIF, Rochelle

Mason Snyder, SS/RHP, Ottawa Marquette

Joe Ceja, RHP/SS, Ottawa Marquette

Josh DeGraaf, RHP/3B, Morris

Kjeld Torkelson, RHP/OF, Morris

Ryan Bernickus, RHP/1B, Minooka

Luke Pullara, C, Minooka
What about my guy...Will Polley at OPRF. 6'4"-215lbs. Hits 80-82 on the gun. Bats lefty, throws righty. By far the most feared freshman in the WSC. Hits to all fields for power and average. Finished his freshman year hitting .578 with 12 HR. 4 in one day at Hindsdale Central and then he ironically got plunked on his pitching elbow. We won 29-10 (9 total HR's in game 1)
Both are the real deal, and ironically both play for Dave Wabick and Upper Deck during the summer, along with some other notables. Quincy Berg, LHP, Charlie Tilsen, LHP, Ryan Kennedy, RHP, The boys are headed to Omaha and then to Florida soon for the JO's and hope to make some noise. Filimino is a beast at the plate as well. Joe Balestreri is arguably one of the best defensive catchers in the area and he handles the staff with ease. Most, if not all of these players started or made their way to the varsity staffs of their respective teams. I also believe that Will is throwing mid 80's.
Thanks for the explanation coach, I apologize if I came off as if I was criticizing your coaching. I have just heard to many scores like your game this year at the freshmen level.

Congratulations on Oak Park River Forest winning the West Suburban Silver at all three Levels this spring. The sophomore team is also very talented and I look forward to our games with OPRF the next few years.
CSG-no need for an apology. I would have asked the same question.

Kennedy-He played freshman ball because he is an above average pitcher and an offensive power. The Varsity and Soph pitching staffs were loaded and there is no other position for him on those levels. With his size, we wanted him to become accustomed to 1B so he can stay on the lineup and physically/mentally in the game. We had a plan and it worked out for the entire program. HE will be a special kid to watch along with 6 of his other teammates in years to come. Trust me on that.
As far as I know they are all staying down to play JV summer ball with me. We are really lucky to have a really good sophomore group to compliment our now Junior Class. I have been blessed to have so many great teams and players in my 7 years as Freshman Coach. I'm excited to see what these kids can do against some elite teams on the Southside.
The Freshman SS at Naz (playing Soph)is Mike Barajas. He is a very talented player, both in the field and at the plate. Also one of the headiest players I've coached. He should play SS next year, but won't. Naz also has a couple of other excellent Freshmen. OPRF Frosh are very good. They beat LT 2 of 3. I would be interested to have seen Polley at the varsity level--he hit well in 2 games against LT's Freshman, didn't hit in the 3rd game. Pithched well, but LT had 3 Freshman on Soph team. I couldn't have seen him pitching at the varsity level yet. Filomeno may be as good now as he will be as a Senior--fully mature. Even if that's the case, he is still very good, as long as things are going well. He should be a 1 or 2 for the next 3 years.
tisting9, the 15u Crystal Lake Bombers and Cyclones are playing in the Seminoles Slugfest Tournament this weekend. I think our Bombers team might be in for a tough time considering all the top competition entered in this tournament. I think the Cyclones could surprise alittle bit. There is alot of talent in our neck of the woods in the Crystal Lake area that people don't know about. I'm not big on predictions but I would think the Schaumburg Seminoles, Orland Park Sparks, Top Tier, Highwood Braves, and the Naperville Renegades all have a chance to make it to the championship game on Sunday.
The Crystal Lake Bombers opening game of the Slugfest is Thursday evening against the Northern Illinois Bulldogs. The game is being played at Trout Park in Elgin. The facilities at Trout Park and Wing Park where the Bombers team will be playing are terrific. I also think many tournament games are being played at Westminister HS and Elgin Community College. The Bombers team is really looking forward to the tournament. I know that Top Tier, Schaumburg Seminoles, Kenosha Bobcats, and Naperville Renegades have games tonight to open the tournament.
Not touchy at all--just stating the facts. If this kid is as good as you say , then let him slide into a different spot on the field until following year when Dalpo graduates. Why should Dalpo have to relinquish his position to an underclassman who hasnt even played one inning of varsity yet ? Are you trying to speak for the Naz coach ? I highly doubt he sees it your way.

" the team would be better for it " ?? that type of comment is way out of line from someone who is pretending to know all there is to know about the personnel at Naz . Who are you to annoint this kid the starting SS ? I wasnt aware you were in the business of moving an established player out of his position ....mighty presumptous of you .
Last edited by sulltiger24

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.