Skip to main content

Maybe I don't get it. It won't be the last time. What's wrong with someone saying that the talent level in one year is better than in another year? It is certainly true.The class of 2005 was just loaded with stud players while other years there is a dropoff.

Saying that overall the class of 2011 does not have as many high ceiling players as another class, and that as a result most of those players will earn far more in their lifetime by pursuing a degree than what they'd earn playing baseball. This is just what one person believes to be true.

Right now, better to be in school than out looking for a job. JMO.
Last edited by itsrosy
quote:
Originally posted by itsrosy:
Maybe I don't get it. It won't be the last time. What's wrong with someone saying that the talent level in one year is better than in another year? It is certainly true.The class of 2005 was just loaded with stud players while other years there is a dropoff.

Rosy - IMO, to compare a graduated class of some 4 years ago to a class that has only just completed it's sophomore year is premature at best. Those more familiar with the class of 2011 would undoubtedly agree that there's a huge amount of potential amongst the ranks though time will tell.

As for this money-making issue, I wholeheartedly agree that a college degree or established trade should be every athlete's ultimate goal from a future earnings standpoint. Money comes and goes (as we've all recently experienced) but an education or specific skill lasts a lifetime.
quote:
Originally posted by Bravescoach:
quote:
Originally posted by itsrosy:

Rosy - IMO, to compare a graduated class of some 4 years ago to a class that has only just completed it's sophomore year is premature at best. Those more familiar with the class of 2011 would undoubtedly agree that there's a huge amount of potential amongst the ranks though time will tell.

As for this money-making issue, I wholeheartedly agree that a college degree or established trade should be every athlete's ultimate goal from a future earnings standpoint. Money comes and goes (as we've all recently experienced) but an education or specific skill lasts a lifetime.

Interesting topic....gather round kids...storytime from CPLZ Big Grin

1976, two friends graduate HS, one signs up to be a US Marine, tries to get his buddy to go with him...buddy looks at it, decides to go to college. Marine makes a wager, and says that, he bets $100 that when they turn 50, Marine is better of financially than college boy. College boy goes to U of I and gets an engineering degree, takes a job with a fortune 100 company in high tech sales and climbs the ladder, still there today as a Corporate Sales Team Manager.

Marine stayed 8 years in the service, left and got a job with the post office, where his 8 years of military service transferred to seniority at the post office. He retired from the PO at age 48 with 30 years, had a lake house, 3 kids, and opened his own business. He also had a pension and fully paid healthcare for the rest of his life.

When the two got together and compared, college boy had to admit, Marine was in a better financial position than he was, and forked over the $100.

The moral to the story, is that things rarely go straight down the path of life, and where you are at any given time, may or may not reflect where you will wind up.
Last edited by CPLZ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.