Skip to main content

Baseball Doc, the Naperville Renegades have a very talented team. They played very well in the 15u Slugfest last weekend. The Seminoles and Renegades should both be congratulated for their strong performances in the tournament. The Crystal Lake Bombers are scheduled to play both the Seminoles and Renegades this summer. We play the Seminoles on June 18th at Schaumburg Flyers Stadium and we play the Renegades later in the month in Naperville.
Nails, I agree but for the most part these top Freshman are also playing on these top travel teams. Tisting9, it's way to early to rank teams. Didn't Richmond and Naperville beat Top Tier the prior week? Check back in a month and let me know if you still have Top Tier ahead of Naperville and a few other teams on your list. P.S. I didn't get your PM. If it's important go ahead and resend it. Thanks!
JKennedy, I don't see anything wrong with the Seminoles or any other team getting some pub on this site. For that matter the only post I didn't like in this thread was the Fox Valley Royals coach or parent talking about and trying to promote only his Fox Valley roster. I don't see the Seminoles being talked about anymore than any other top team in this thread. They have a really good program that has run two really nice tournaments to start the travel season.
Usetohit300, these are the kind of posts that we don't need on this site. Personally I think the Illinois Sparks National Team might be the best 16u team in Illinois and they didn't make the playoff round either last weekend. I don't think the Seminoles, Sparks or any other really good team have anything to be upset about with winning 3 out of 4 games this weekend. I thought the Crystal Lake team would make some noise this weekend and they lost their first three games of the tournament. The Seminoles and Sparks each have a 16u National and American team. All four teams went 3-1 in the tournament. I think it is tough for many teams to even field one full time competitive team and the Sparks and Seminoles have two very strong teams at the same age division, that speaks volumes about these teams. The young men on these teams should be praised on this site not criticized because they lost a game. I know that the Crystal Lake Tigers would have liked to win 3 games this weekend. I think there were like 13 teams that finished with a 3-1 record in the Slugfest 16u tournamnet last weekend. No undefeated teams that says alot. Let's try to stay positive on this site.
Tisting9, maybe instead of reporting scores from the Super NIT just highlight top players from the tournament. It seems that you upset people by reporting scores. The funny thing is some of the people that get upset on this site are the same people that only report highlights on their sons performances. The problem is alot of people on this site have an agenda and are far from realistic. Example, this Fox Valley Royals booster poster on this site. Only promoting players from his own team. The Royals team seem to be average but are highlighted as this "super power". This is actually unfair to the young men wearing the uniform. Also, a few over zealous parents that only talk about their own team and son. This was a terrific thread started talking about top Freshamn players and a top tournament being run to start the season.
I received three complaints about negative posts in this thread, and a request to close the thread.

I don't want to close the thread, because it looks like most of you guys are having a great discussion. Instead, I removed several posts which were not consistent with our Board Manners. I also removed a few posts which were not problems themselves but were direct responses to those posts and so would be meaningless now.

Those of us who have been around for a year or two (or ten) Wink have seen how ugly it can get if adults start posting mean things about teams of boys/young men, usually because they don't like a coach or a parent on the other team. We just aren't going to do that here.

Thanks to the majority of you who are posting fun news about teams and players. I'll leave you alone now...feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. Smile

Thanks,

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
I got to see Tim Barry from Oak Forest play vs. Brother Rice as they had the game before us a few weeks back. He had already hit 2 home runs before we arrived and the at bat I saw he almost took off the third baseman’s hand with a line drive down the line. I can’t believe this kid is a freshman.
quote:
Originally posted by ofbengals08:
biggerpapi....i never mentioned his name. also getting sick and tired of all the hype on this kid when he has yet to live up too it. if you don't like what i post, don't read it. also this post is only IMHO.

ofbengals, you referenced a kid of which a conversation is being made of while most involved know exactly of whom you're speaking about. Suggesting that they will never develop beyond where they are now or not change physically is speculation at best. I edited that previous post. I will also send a pm reminding you of the board manners.

CoachB25
if someone thinks a kid is over rated or not as good as he heard he was why can't he state his opinion of that? This is supposed to be a discussion about objective thoughts. If you can't say anything opposite of this kid is great, my kid is the best, our travel team is the best, we are in the best tournament, this organization is top notch, etc then what's the point? Saying everything needs to be positive reminds me of the people that don't want there to be a winner and loser, they want to not keep score and everyone gets a trophy and an ice cream cone after the game.

Kids are going to get cut, benched, told they aren't good enough, told someone else is better, told their paper is written properly, get a bad grade, maybe get passed over on an interview, etc. I understand to keep things positive but it's getting out of hand, if someone thinks a team or kid is over rated and is tired of hearing people brag about them why can't he state his opinion? Usually the people bragging about the teams or kids are parents that are on those teams or friends with certain kids so their information is bias anyway. How you tell whose good or bad if nobody can have an opinion on here other than so and so is good?
Watch it Nails your liable to get a nasty p.m. from the powers that are . You know your not allowed to speak like that. The Russians took down the wall and the powers that are put it up here. And on another note, most of the topics discussed here are from the northern section of Illinois,so why do we have a parent from the deep southern part of Illinois as a moderator. Just asking.
Last edited by ofbengals08
quote:
Originally posted by ofbengals08:
Watch it Nails your liable to get a nasty p.m. from the powers that are . You know your not allowed to speak like that. The Russians took down the wall and the powers that are put it up here. And on another note, most of the topics discussed here are from the northern section of Illinois,so why do we have a parent from the deep southern part of Illinois as a moderator. Just asking.

That "Parent" has coached in a few hundred high school games, been a part of a couple of state championship teams, had kids go on to play at every level after high school including MLB and puts on coaching clinics for high school coaches throughout this state. What do you do? ofbengals08, I coached the Russians before the wall came down in Russia for our country. Your credentials? Finally, "we?" Who are you? Are you a major contributor to this site in any fashion? Are you a member in good standing that has a long posting history? Your "just asking" is BS. You were the one that put down a young man in high school. Pretty tough! You have "Board Manners" to follow. Cross those lines and you will be edited, suspended or banned. At least I had the anatomical parts to sign my edit and extend the courtersy of sending you a private message explaining it. Now you throw that in my face. Not a good start for you.

Darrell Butler
Last edited by CoachB25
quote:
Originally posted by Nails:
if someone thinks a kid is over rated or not as good as he heard he was why can't he state his opinion of that? This is supposed to be a discussion about objective thoughts. If you can't say anything opposite of this kid is great, my kid is the best, our travel team is the best, we are in the best tournament, this organization is top notch, etc then what's the point? Saying everything needs to be positive reminds me of the people that don't want there to be a winner and loser, they want to not keep score and everyone gets a trophy and an ice cream cone after the game.

Kids are going to get cut, benched, told they aren't good enough, told someone else is better, told their paper is written properly, get a bad grade, maybe get passed over on an interview, etc. I understand to keep things positive but it's getting out of hand, if someone thinks a team or kid is over rated and is tired of hearing people brag about them why can't he state his opinion? Usually the people bragging about the teams or kids are parents that are on those teams or friends with certain kids so their information is bias anyway. How you tell whose good or bad if nobody can have an opinion on here other than so and so is good?

Nails it is called common deceny. We are a community here not a shredding board. When you are at a high school game, I am guessing you do not walk up to a coach, parent, or player and tell them they stink. I am guessing you keep those feelings to yourself when you are in public. Similarly, if you saw someone that was not physically attractive you would not walk up to them and tell them they were ugly. I am guessing your parents taught you better than that. This is a PUBLIC message board. Not a place to throw darts with impunity. We have the same rules that decent people employ in public places when they are FACE-TO-FACE with each other. In general, we do not speak ill of amateur ballplayers. If you have something negative to say, send it in a pm - it is like whispering in public.

Pro players are a different story - they are acknowledged public figures and criticism and sometimes ridicule comes with the game. You want to rip on Ozzie Guillen on these message boards, then go ahead, no one will stop you. You want to speak ill of amateur ballplayers and their teams, our community has a problem with that. Is that so hard to understand?
you guys are taking this a little too seriously. Nobody ripped anyone apart, all they did was say the XYZ your talking about and bragging about isn't as good as you say, I think that they are over rated. They are stating their opinion, just becuase it's not on par with yours and not pumping the kid up you freak out. People are going to disagree with you guys and if your over rating a player, team, program in their opinion they are going to give you the other side. if you don't want to hear the other side or someone else's opinion then you have your own problems. But this should be an open forum if someone was to rip me on here i'd take it as constructive criticism and realize you can't please everyone. A parent should do the same thing, I don't think these people are openly ripping the kids to their faces, half the time's it's parents opinions on here anyway, actually 98% of the time.
quote:
Originally posted by Nails:
you guys are taking this a little too seriously. Nobody ripped anyone apart, all they did was say the XYZ your talking about and bragging about isn't as good as you say, I think that they are over rated. They are stating their opinion, just becuase it's not on par with yours and not pumping the kid up you freak out. People are going to disagree with you guys and if your over rating a player, team, program in their opinion they are going to give you the other side. if you don't want to hear the other side or someone else's opinion then you have your own problems. But this should be an open forum if someone was to rip me on here i'd take it as constructive criticism and realize you can't please everyone. A parent should do the same thing, I don't think these people are openly ripping the kids to their faces, half the time's it's parents opinions on here anyway, actually 98% of the time.

Nails, we have Board Manners, if you don't like that this isn't a flaming board, then take your business elsewhere. It is really that simple. No, this didn't stop at the kid is overrated. The post went on to say that he'd never develop beyond where he is now and then attacked this young man's looks. There are dozens of boards where you can trash whomever you wish. This isn't one of them. BTW, who are you to say a kid is overrated? You have one of those magical crystal balls that says where this FRESHMAN will be in a year or two? I think it pathetic that people spend their time attacking others on a board behind assumed names. Nails, you must decide if this board is for you. If you can't abide by the rules then you won't be allowed to post here. We won't attack kids! While there is your opinion of what this site "should be," we have the owner's opinion of what this site WILL BE. I'd bet that owner's opinion, as well as those of us that moderate this site will win out in the end.

Darrell Butler
(Parent)
CoachB25
Last edited by CoachB25
I never said any of that about the kid. I must have missed where it was actually said, all I was saying is that if someone has a different opinion he should be able to state it. I was sticking up for people being able to say what they want. Go back and read my posts, i don't trash any kids or teams, etc. So you have the wrong guy, all I was stating was that people should be allowed to state their opinions.

I think it's great we are discussing 15u kids and i love watching kids develop and kids get recognition that other people might not be able to see or know about because they don't live in those area's. This board is great for getting people's imput from everyone in the state, i'm glad I am able to debate and have opinions on here and learn things. Last thing I want to do is trash a kid, don't accuse me of that because of what someone else said.
One last thing, I didn't read where someone wrote he won't amount to anything. That is a little too much and something i don't agree with. If you seen I was one of the first to post about this subject of freshman saying that it's very early to judge them because they are so far away from developing, getting better, and so much can happen over the next few years.

I was simply stating that people should be allowed to have opinions, i agree demeaning kids or saying at 15 they won't be good is not what I was backing. I think kids that are 17, can become good when they are 20 and some are late bloomers. Maybe I'll read all the posts next time, hope there's no hard feelings. There's alot of good 15's out there.
I think that team they are on has played in some 16u tournaments. It's hard to bring a kid up to 17 & 18u teams for a few reasons. First the rest of the kids his age want to move up and the parents think your doing their kids a disservice by not moving their kid up. Secondly, Most of the 17 & 18u teams are basically all-star teams with the best kids from all over and are better than the 15u kids. It's not like HS where there's only a handful of college players on a team so a real good freshman can get moved up, most of these travel teams all the kids are going on to play in college so there's no room for a younger guy to come up. That's not to say the 15u kid won't be better in a few years.
quote:
Originally posted by CoachB25:
Too bad there are few of these sites that cover these same topics for softball. I'd love to hear about the 2011s since my child is a 2011. BTW, she could probably outhit many of these boys! crazy

CoachB25--Start one up! We'll join! We'd love to know, too, for our softball-playing 2011....and 2013!

Are you coming up for the Hawks college exposure tourney in Elgin this weekend? If so, let us know!
1 Tim Barry Oak Forest 2011
2 Jake Junis Rock Falls HS 2011
3 Jeff Boehm Mount Carmel HS 2011
4 Joey Filomeno St. Rita HS 2011
5 Micah McCullouch Rochelle HS 2011
6 Mike Barajas Nazareth HS 2011
7 Mason Snyder Ottawa Marquette HS 2011
8 Cody Vogler Lincoln-Way West HS 2011
9 Nick Collins Rich Central HS 2011
10 Cory Kay St. Viator 2011
11 Andy Newman Brother Rice HS 2011
12 Will Polley Oak Park - River Forest HS 2011
13 Anthony Ciango Downers Grove North 2011
14 William McMahon Mundelein HS 2011
15 Eric Jacobson St. Ignatius HS 2011
16 Joseph Houlihan Providence Catholic HS 2011
17 Dylan Craig Murphysboro HS 2011
18 Nathan Gray Rock Island HS 2011
19 Michael Vilardo Cary-Grove HS 2011
20 Andrew Jacna Benet 2011
Hey what about Naperville Central's lefty sophmore Dan Ludwig? He was 6-1 with a 2.55 ERA. Pitched a no hitter against Hoffman Estates and a complete game against the hard hitting Wheaton North Falcons, limiting them to 6 singles and only one earned run.

Started two of Central's playoff games, both of them Central victories.

May not make the radar screen becasue he is not a hard thrower, all he does is get kids out.
Anyone who has had the opportunity to watch SS Matt Anderson (Hinsdale Central) play over the past few years knows that he is as smooth as they come.

Another good one is Connor Skoczynski (Maine West) who doesn't do many things "by the book", nor is he the biggest guy on the field, but has some tools and was an All-Area player this spring.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.