Skip to main content

Hi guys,

I am a senior left handed pitcher in high school. It has been difficult for me to pitch and do well throughout my high school career because of my elbow. During my 8th to late 9th grade year, I dealt with growth plate problems in my elbow. During my 10th and 11th grade year, I dealt with general elbow problems such as medial epicondylitis and a grade 1 UCL sprain. During the summer of my junior year, I spent time going to physical therapy in order to recover and then go to a pitching coach to refine mechanics. During winter ball this year in January, I pitched a live game... 2 innings and did okay. I did not feel any pain or soreness, but week after week my arm was getting weaker and weaker. Now it's difficult for me to pitch. I have my "good" days where my arm feels well but it gets tired quickly. I don't know if my UCL is torn or not. I usually have soreness and weakness in my elbow now... Should I go to an orthopedist again to get it reviewed and possibly get an MRI and/or surgery? I want to play in college but idk. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by AlexisLefty:

Hi guys,

I am a senior left handed pitcher in high school. It has been difficult for me to pitch and do well throughout my high school career because of my elbow. During my 8th to late 9th grade year, I dealt with growth plate problems in my elbow. During my 10th and 11th grade year, I dealt with general elbow problems such as medial epicondylitis and a grade 1 UCL sprain. During the summer of my junior year, I spent time going to physical therapy in order to recover and then go to a pitching coach to refine mechanics. During winter ball this year in January, I pitched a live game... 2 innings and did okay. I did not feel any pain or soreness, but week after week my arm was getting weaker and weaker. Now it's difficult for me to pitch. I have my "good" days where my arm feels well but it gets tired quickly. I don't know if my UCL is torn or not. I usually have soreness and weakness in my elbow now... Should I go to an orthopedist again to get it reviewed and possibly get an MRI and/or surgery? I want to play in college but idk. 

Get an MRI. 

Originally Posted by AlexisLefty:

Should I go to an orthopedist again to get it reviewed and possibly get an MRI and/or surgery?

Yes.

And if your current orthopedist doesn't think you need an MRI (with contrast), get at least one 2nd opinion. If the second one agrees, then follow the rehab exactly as prescribed. Best of luck, and I hope you're able to get this corrected.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.