Skip to main content

@GSully1- as mentioned earlier...I wish you and your son the best of luck. And, I admire your patience and calmness. (I would be freaking out right now.)

There's a lot to consider:

+ The roster saturation due to the NCAA's pandemic reaction.

+ Just two months until NLI day.

+ Just about 9 months left until HS graduation.

Don't discount the marketplace. I have lost count on how many 2020s, 2021s and 2022s we know personally who waited too long and then had to pivot to a Plan B that was way below their expectations (including not having a landing spot at all).

The pandemic has really impacted the landscape in so many ways. There's less spots, talent is cascading downward in divisions making spots harder to get, the way coaches scout and recruit has changed, schools lost money and have less money to give. It's a perfect storm scenario and these poor kids are caught in it.

Strategies that may have worked in 2019 may be obsolete in 2021. Today, it's a bird in the hand more than ever before...

@GSully1 posted:

Good to know.  FDU was looking at my son but told him about a month ago they were not going to offer any $$ to a 2022 C.  A young man committed there shortly after my son was informed of the decision.  Assume the player is going without baseball $$ but don't know for sure.

FDU will be very interesting. Looks like the coach is modifying their recruiting strategy

"The newcomers consist of 13 freshmen and ten transfer students featuring three catchers, three outfielders, six infielders and 11 pitchers."

Speaking to somebody in the know, the coach is a very good recruiter, thus you might see more sourced from JUCOs vs High School.

Remember he can pick from Rowan of South Jersey,Rowan of SJ-Cumberland

, Mercer Community or Lackawanna, just to name a few.

Will need to see how many freshman in the 2021 class are redshirted.

@Francis7 posted:

For a point of reference, NJ dot com just did a report on who is committed in NJ.

They had twenty 2022 catchers on their committed list - 14 D1, two D2, two D3 and two JUCO. (Some of the D1s were really low ranking D1s...like UMBC, etc.)

Update on the NJ 2022 Catchers.

24 are committed

I got 7 more that I know of that are not committed yet but consider themselves college prospects.

3 others have reclassed to 2023.

Of the 24:

14 are D1

3 are D2

5 are D3

2 are Juco

@GSully1 posted:

Post script: son reached out to coaches he’s been talking to including the coach at the other highly successful D2 program. The coach informed him they didn’t have a spot for him anymore and good luck. They never provided a deadline nor contacted son to inform him the offer was pulled.

Apologies, I am confused. Your son verbally committed, right? What is the mention of deadline regarding?

I’m very sorry the offer was pulled, I’m just curious as to what the deadline issue was.

@GSully1 - as it's a D2 and your son is a 2022, why is he committed but not yet signed?  NLI day was 8 days ago. Are you waiting to sign it or have they not yet provided the NLI? If it's the latter, has the school provided an explanation on the delay?

(I know you still have many months left before you have to sign. Just wondering why anyone would wait in today's climate.)

He committed 2 days after November NLI day. The school he’s going to has been slow to work out their 2022 scholarships due to COVID red shirts per the HC. We are not concerned as this program typically is active now through the start of the spring season recruiting HS seniors. Plus we have an excellent long term relationship with the HC and staff.

How much time passed between the verbal offer (the one he didn't take and the school pulled) and when your son reached out to them and found out the offer had been pulled.  I have no desire to condone that coach's behavior, but the timeline is a key component of the equation.  A good buddy of mine has a 2022 that just committed 2 weeks ago.  He's had half a dozen offers since June but he dragged his feet with little to no active intention behind it.  I advised against the approach.  Just because a coach doesn't put a kid on a defined clock, doesn't mean he's not on a clock.  If a kid is taking an active approach to deciding, that's great.  But if the delay is solely because the kid is hoping a better looking girl asks him to the prom, you've lost me.  To me that's a symptom of the entitlement this generation feels is due to them.

The Juco my son committed to gave my son 30 days.  Coach said he didn't want to pressure my son and would give him the space to think about it, but that if my son didn't really want to go there, that he needed to move on and build his recruiting class with players who really wanted to play THERE.  I thought that was completely fair, but most parents I've talked to about it say they're glad their kids' offers didn't come with clocks.

Just for the benefit of others reading this, once a player accepts an offer and commits to a school, it is always considered a good practice to notify other schools who are recruiting him.

I know that personally my son called all the coaches he was communicating with before he even told his friends or posted anything. He received many thanks and well-wishes from these coaches.  It's always smart to try to stay on good terms with everyone you meet along the journey, because chances are very high that if you stay in the game you will cross paths again.

Question for others reading/involved in this thread. Once one commits to a JUCO are there the same "rules" or terms as committing to a D1 (or other level school)? Is the NLI binding in the same way?

If feels as if I have heard something about opting out of a JUCO commitment for D1 but I am unsure on where or who I may have heard this from.

Re: Danj post, my son told the coach he planned to make a decision the week of NLI; the coach said that works for him. My son got back to him within the timeframe agreed to and found out they didn’t have a spot. Good that he chose the other school, which has been to the CWS 2 out of the last 3 years it’s been held. Reasons for sharing are twofold: golden rule, he wanted to let the coaches with whom he had developed relationships know he made a decision (to TThomas’s point), and to not burn any bridges. Interestingly, a D1 coach that he started speaking with 2 years ago but had not talked with for over a year took my sons call and said he would follow sons career. If he does well perhaps he could be a grad transfer. That is the longest of long shots but is testament to that coach’s professionalism and my son’s approach, which has not been close to an entitlement mentality.

My son has not yet posted on SM nor said anything to anyone other than his HS and travel coaches. His HS requested they be first to announce, should be any day now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.