Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I dont pull for either team so I am not biased in my opinion. USC is the better team with the most explosive weopons. I really dont care who wins but I just can not see Texas stopping USC. I can see USC slowing down Texas enough to outscore them. Both teams are outstanding and deserving of a NC. I feel that they are the two best teams by far. I dont think anyone else is in their league.
See last year. USC runs better, throws better, has better receivers, a better line, and Pete Carroll has over a month to put together a plan to isolate Vince Young and stop Texas. This will be no contest just like what happened to the vaunted Oklahoma team who had a coach that is much better than Mack Brown.
Last edited by calbb
I dont think I can ever remember a worse bowl season as far as match ups. Personally I like the Ohio State game to be the best game. Too many bowls. Too many meaningless games. A playoff scenario would be awesome for college football. Just like in 1-AA DIV 2 and DIV 3. But we all know that will not happen anytime soon. Untill it does we are stuck with one game that matters. The NC game. And we are stuck with all the what ifs. Well at least in Basketball and Baseball we have a true champion.
TR, I'm not saying you're wrong, but why on earth would a guy who left the NFL and built the most successful college team around want to leave that ideal world and go back to the NFL? Why,especially, to a team that is going to take a lot more than a QB & RB, as well as new coach before they ever become respectable. As is often the case, the head coach will probably take the fall without being the real problem (can you say NO offensive line?) and the team will not improve much in the near term. By the way, does the Texan's O line bring new definition to the term OFFENSIVE?
Last edited by 06catcherdad
I may be mistaken, but I think he's paid just as much as most NFL coaches. I seem to remember (but at my age, who knows Smile) that Coach Carroll is paid several million per year. As for ego, how many coaches have ever been on the verge of winning their third consecutive national championship? THAT should be a rather sufficient ego boost, don't you think?

I understand what you're saying about NFL coaching, but I think he'd be nuts to give up one of the best coaching jobs in the nation, in any sport at any level, to go back to the NFL.
To all the people who think USC will win. Have you seen Texas Play? They have been the most dominate team this year.

USC could have lost at least 2 games this year. They should have lost the ND game and benefited from a good spot at the end of the game on the fumble that went out of bounds (Should have been spotted closer to the 2 yard line) and the push Bush gave Matt into the end zone which should have been called back.....

PS.USC is a great team though. Game could go either way but Texas has been the best team this year so far......
Darkmoon, I think most of us who've seen USC play will gladly take them over Texas without much hesitation. Last I recall, it is USC who has won 34 in a row, and is on the verge of being the only team in history to win three consecutive national championships. Texas may be awesome, but I think USC will find their crowning glory on their home field in Pasadena.

USC 41-27
Last edited by 06catcherdad
darkmoon- We are taught in California to use words in their proper context (along with kicking &^* on the football field). I think you mean dominant and not dominate. Here- I will use it in a sentence for you. Reggie Bush was the most dominant Heisman Trophy winner of all time as he beat the runner-up by a record margin. BTW- Not too hard to dominate the likes of Colorado and the rest of the slop that used to be a great conference.
quote:
THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!
(and Carroll ain't going anywhere except after 4 in a row next year).

Last time I checked, LSU beat OU two years ago for the national title...looks like the Trojan faithful trying to lay claim to a split NC...BCS brought in to get rid of that...BCS only recognized championship here...USC going for a back-to-back title only.
Last edited by tychco
As much as I want Texas to win, I was very disappointed in Vince Young's reaction to not winning the Heisman, a very "me-first" attitude. I hope by choosing to return for his senior year he learns a little humility.

Even though I would hate to watch it, maybe a beating by USC in the biggest game of the year would speed up the maturing process.

That being said, I still don't see this game being as big of a blow out as USC fans are predicting. Texas had a real test this year in beating Ohio State in Columbus.

I CAN say that the best thing to happen to USC (before Bush winning the Heisman) this year was a fumble.

JMO
Earlier someone posted that nobody is in USC or Texas's league. Obviously, I'm quite biased as a graduate of The Ohio State University but how could you say OSU is not in their league. Arguably, OSU should have beaten Texas (if we didn't do the QB shuffle). As far as Texas vs. USC I think Texas will win (and if Vince Young plays a decent game) they will win big. OSU has one of the top two or three defenses in the country and had serious problems stopping Vince Young. When we shut down his scrambling (in the second half) he beat us with the pass. If Mack Brown doesn't choke with the play calling and his players stay loose they will win. USC can't stop Texas on offense but Texas will stop USC at least occasionally.
SC by 14 45-31

Young will not have seen the complexity of the defenses that SC will throw at him, but he is a dangerous freelancer that can throw on the run and has excellent speed to move the ball up the field to get first downs.

Fresno State ran the underneath over offense and SC couldn't shut it down. Most entertaining game of the entire season.

But in the end Texas will not be able to stop all the SC weapons.

Fouth quarter SC will move away and take it.

A little late in the thread for this but.....
Look at the "permo grin" on Pete Carrolls face and tell me that he would be this happy in the NFL....The guy is having the time of his life.. 14. Has there ever been another coach who loves the college coaching life as much as he does?...Agreed he is winning but, I've seen lots of winning coaches who aren't enjoying the coaching life this much...
Last edited by observer44
USC- 49
Texas- 20

The points given up by SC to Fresno St. was a complete aberration, just an off day.

Texas played NO ONE this year except for Ohio State, who they barely beat and the Buckeyes would have no chance against the Trojans.

SC's team speed on both sides of the ball, the number of skill players they have and the coaching talent of Carroll and his staff is something Texas ain't seen. They will be as knocked for a loop as were the Sooners.
HeyBatter,

Guess it's safe to say you're picking Notre Dame to beat Ohio State handily!

This thread will be a lot more "fun" after the game is over, Big Grin no matter how it turns out. There's some pretty brash words written here predicting big wins for both teams.

Might as well throw in another prediction. USC 58 - Texas 57 in 4 OTs. I really don't think it will be that close!
I think Texas should just mail it in, they have no chance what-so-ever - Ohio State are just a bunch of chumps anyway so that win didn't prove anything - Fresno State on the other hand.....they are really good (sarcasim off).

I keenly remember three years ago when Ohio State won their first NC since 1968. They played the defending National Champs Miami, and similar to this game were given no chance what-so-ever in the game. The game ended up a three-overtime thriller.

I can just see the Texas coaches right now talking and motivating their team. Nobody (outside of Texas) is giving you a chance - no respect. I don't see USC having a defensive answer for Vince Young. I do believe Texas can play defense better than any that USC has played this year. I am not predicting an upset, but I will not be surprised if Texas beats USC. They are the defending Rose Bowl Champs and certainly have a large chip on their shoulders.
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a USC fan. So what if they are defenfing Rose Bowl Champions. They lost Cedric Benson and have little ground game. USC faces better offenses every week than Texas. Why do you think they don't have a defensive answer to Young. They'll put a spy on him or force him to stay in the pocket. Pete Carroll is a defensive genius and the offense speaks for itself. Ohio State should have whipped Texas and would beat them easily now. Shame on them for not going woth one QB earlier. USC wins by 3-4 TD's. BTW- Good luck to whoever plays DLS in prep football in Ohio next fall. They will also be enlightened that California plays pretty good prep football.
Callbb said:
quote:
Why do you think they don't have a defensive answer to Young. They'll put a spy on him or force him to stay in the pocket. Pete Carroll is a defensive genius and the offense speaks for itself.

Ureka, that's it!!! Why didn't the previous 12 Texas opponents think of that? All it takes to beat those uppity Horns is to put a spy on Young to contain him! Roll Eyes

I happened to watch the Fresno State game and the defensive genius part must have been beyond my grasp.....

I would be remiss, though, if I did not point out that the only game Texas was held under 40 was by Ohio State and USC's defense is no where near that of OSU. On the other hand, Texas' defense is run by Gene Chizik - who was the NCAA's Assistant Coach of the Year last year at Auburn. His squad is aggressive and much better than USC's.

Regardless, I do expect a high scoring affair that ends with a burnt orange celebration.
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM

I smell a conspiracy...

Since the Niners continued their stupidity by actually winning a game and for all intents putting themselves out of the "Bush Bowl"

...it looks like Reggie Bush to the Texans

...Bush and his agent are no fools, order to get a head start on cultivating a large and noisy Texas fan base,

...Bush dogs the Rose Bowl...

Cool

as a michigan fan i have seen both teams in action. i like USC in this game. its either gonna be really close..or a blowout in the favor of USC. USC is gonna win tho, its young against leinart, white, bush, jarrett. im pretty sure everyone here that is not a usc fan can name at least those players (im not a usc fan) and you can only name 1 or 2 players from texas. i hope texas wins, but theres no way thats gonna happen.
Observer44: I'm a lifelong Niners fan, back to the days of Brodie and Willard, and couldn't believe they were so dumb as to win the last two, and now draft #6 or #7...........

..But the biggest disappointment of the year for me is knowing that my beloved Hokies haven't sent Marcus Vick packing. His thuggish act was one of the lowest nastiest cheapshots I've ever seen, and ruined what should have been a sweet bowl victory. No class, no character. Head coaches should deal with all of the trash talking and preening once and for all. You don't see that nonsense in D-III, D-II, or even D-IAA. Appalling, simply appalling.
I just hope the game is as fun as I expect it to be.

When have we ever seen two teams with combined 53 game winning streaks meet up in a national championship?

These are both great teams. The outcome should depend on big plays and turnovers - so either team can win.

I don't think either team can stop the other. I've seen USC play several times on TV this year and once live, and haven't watched Texas at all, so all I can say is: USC has lots of offensive weapons.

I haven't looked forward to a college game this much for a long long time.
High school baseball "connection" to tonight's football game....

Texas has a multi-purpose player(kicks,punts,receiver), 22 year old freshman, Quan Cosby, who was drafted by one of the LA organizations in 2001, signed for somewhere around $1MIL, under-achieved for 3 years in the minors and then "retired" to be a part of tonight's national championship football game. Quan was a pretty good AA highschool baseball outfielder, but he was an exceptional AA football player who was Player of the Year and twice QB'd state championship football teams.

OPP

p.s. Gotta pull for the TeXas boys!
The REAL question, of course, is whether the boys of CAL Tech will pull off a Rose Bowl prank, as they did in in prior years

Read the last one - Number eight.... My brother was at Cal Tech that year, and I was visiting on New Years Day, watched the game with the Techies who did it.

The prank screwed up and killed the scoreboard for about a half hour, stopping the game as a national TV audience waited. We sat in the dorm room and hoped the cops didn't come and grab them!
quote:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
Other than all of the mistakes being made - the one thing that stands out to me so far is #31 on Texas - delivering absolute "kill" shots.

Helmet to helmet - knee to helmet - and shoulder to helmet. Ala Jack Tatum.

USC needs to keep an eye out for that fella. IMO.

Watch the holding on the USC line too itsinthegame

Beyond the "whiney" call stuff...

Despite being a CA/USC fan...

I see Vince in command running pretty well wild...I see SC missing tons of tackles...I see Texas making theirs...I see SC either forced into a poor game or simply playing one...I see, no, wait, I don't see Reggie...What Heismans?...Gut check for SC, Time to step up, they win this one, they will really earn it...If Texas wins it, I will believe...

Cool
Last edited by observer44
REGGIE WHO?

Hey TRHit... still think Vince can't play in the NFL? HA!

National Champs baby. And Vince Young is THE MAN - deserves the Championship AND the Heisman. So sweet to stuff it down the throats of all the national media declaring USC the greatest team of all time.. Keith Jackson actually called Pete Carroll the "greatest defensive coordinator and head coach of ALL TIME" - right before Vince sliced right through their defense for the win!

See my Avatar? The Tower is Lit Up #1 tonight!!!

HOOK 'EM!
quote:
Originally posted by Natural:
REGGIE WHO?

Hey TRHit... still think Vince can't play in the NFL? HA!

National Champs baby. And Vince Young is THE MAN - deserves the Championship AND the Heisman. So sweet to stuff it down the throats of all the national media declaring USC the greatest team of all time.. Keith Jackson actually called Pete Carroll the "greatest defensive coordinator and head coach of ALL TIME" - right before Vince sliced right through their defense for the win!

See my Avatar? The Tower is Lit Up #1 tonight!!!

HOOK 'EM!

USC is a great team but you're right, the media over hyped USC and screwed Vince Young out of a fair Heisman vote
quote:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
Natural,

Sounds like you are more interested in useless bragging rights than you are in the wonderful performances of the young men on both teams.

I think both teams played a great game - and had many players that did a great job.

Fabulous National Championship game IMO.

The media gave Texas no chance itsinthegame and went way over board with rhe USC worship.
"its"... as a TexasEx I have endured hours of USC hype declaring them the defacto champs... we deserve to crow! They even claim a national title they did not win three years ago when LSU won the BCS national championship.

TEXAS:
2005 NCAA Baseball National Champions
2005-06 NCAA Football National Champions

What's next... Basketball National Champions? Watch out ---- we are coming!

HOOK 'EM!
Natural,

Yeah - thats wonderful.

As I said - I thought there were some great performances by some of the players on both teams.

I really liked Lindale White - and Young and Leinhart were just awesome.

I also thought Carroll called some really poor 4th down offensive plays - and #31 for Texas was the real deal when it came to delivering some early hard core blows.

As for the media - I couldnt care less. None of them were on the field playing and knocking heads. IMO.
Last edited by itsinthegame
Maybe it's just me... Guess I've never been named the MVP of a National Championship, so don't know how one should act.

Congatulations to Texas and Vince Young.

Guess I knew USC was favored by the media, but that same media played this up as possibly the greatest game ever. They were wrong about the winner, but right about the great game.

I didn't care who won the game and was kind of hoping USC could kick a field goal and tie it up at the end. Only to watch some more.
I still can't believe Matt Leinart isn't in the NFL. What more is there left for Vince to prove in college? I personally would not risk it. I understand staying though.

Those that say the guy can't throw are crazy. His throw is not classic but effective especially when you throw it from a 6-5 frame. Lee Corso said it well. He is a 6-5 Michael Vick. I think a better passer than Michael Vick IMHO.
Its - I agree with your assessment. Ok I am going to make you all GM's right now.

Rate the three players on your board right now.

Here are my top 3 and some other from tonights game:

1) Vince Young (If I already have an excellent quarterback I take Reggie bush)

2) Reggie Bush

3) Matt Leinart

4) LenDale White

5) Michael Huff

6) David Thomas

7) Limus Suede

8) This list can keep going...USC's Recivers
I hate to think it and of course hope Vince comes back but... if I was the Houston Texans GM I'd hire Mack Brown as my head coach, trade David Carr for draft picks (to be used on offensive linemen) and draft Vince #1.

Vince returns to his hometown of Houston as the National Champion hero and #1 pick with his favorite coach.

As a diehard Orangeblood, I hope it does not happen.
quote:
Originally posted by calbb:
See last year. USC runs better, throws better, has better receivers, a better line, and Pete Carroll has over a month to put together a plan to isolate Vince Young and stop Texas. This will be no contest just like what happened to the vaunted Oklahoma team who had a coach that is much better than Mack Brown.

Well calbb?
quote:
Originally posted by HeyBatter:
USC- 49
Texas- 20

The points given up by SC to Fresno St. was a complete aberration, just an off day.

Texas played NO ONE this year except for Ohio State, who they barely beat and the Buckeyes would have no chance against the Trojans.

SC's team speed on both sides of the ball, the number of skill players they have and the coaching talent of Carroll and his staff is something Texas ain't seen. They will be as knocked for a loop as were the Sooners.

Well Heybatter?
NATURAL

I am not sure he is a NFL QB---playing college aint the pros---lineman bigger and faster when flushing QB's out of the pocket hwich means QB's do not escape like they do in college

The kid is a great athlete but I am still not sure if he is a NFL QB---have seen too many "great" college QB's and running backs not make it in the NFL

Bush, last night looked like he has been reading too many press clippings--looked very unsure of himself

The last two nights somewhat got the BCS people top ratings after a lot of bad years--- two of the greatest games for a fan to watch

Funny aspect with the media--- all of a sudden Young is the "greatest" QB and nobody talks about the USC Heisman guys--how rapidly they can turn !!!
baseballdad

Watch how he throws-- he was accurate as all git out last night but his throwing motion is not "normal"--- I can see him as kick/punt returner right out of the box in the NFL and I bet he would make one heck of a defensive back in the secondary covering all those 6ft6 receivers that abound now in the NFL.

Keep in mind that if he goes early he will go to a team with no offensive line which could be a killer for him
TR,

He would get abused as a secondary player in the NFL. He's 230 pounds! And while he's fast, he could never cover the likes of Owens or Moss. Conversely, Owens or Moss could not run an offense with precision, throw the ball downfield with both strength and touch, and run like John Riggins in the open field. He may not be a classic quarterback, but at the bottom line he's the best in college football today with great promise for a successful NFL career in some team's backfield.
HSBBWeb Old Timer
"Posted December 06, 2005 06:23 PM
Right with the White Sox in 2005 and in 2006.

Texas will beat USC...Saw a couple of USC games. Bush and the 2nd guy are "loads". The big USC qb will be running for his life.

Young will have a game for the ages.

Texas in this one."
Posts: 2019 | Location: Frankfort, IL. 60423 | Registered: December 26, 2002

----

Now if I could only figure out the lottery numbers.
quote:
Originally posted by Natural:
Pretty quiet on the left coast today, huh?!

It's just 9:20am on the left coast now, just got the time to respond.

Defense wins championships, USC had more than its share of opportunities to stop UT but didn't. Young had a outstanding game, and I give UT credit for not caving in.

Look back at my post yesterday, I thought a 3 point spread was correct....just picked the wrong team.

Congrats to USC and the run they had.

Congrats to UT for a great finish to an outsatnding year.

(But as far as baseball goes, we Californians will have a say in the NCAA's for baseball....as well as every other state in this union.)
From the left coast and a die hard USC fan since the Garret days.

Congrats to Texas and Vince Young on a great game.

Where was USC's defense? Besides allowing Young to scramble at will, they never seemed to be within 5 yards of a receiver. I was amazed that USC kept it that close.

USC's offense was all that it was cracked up to be to put that many points on the board vs. a very good Texas defense. Sure they slowed down Bush, but USC was never always about Bush. Take Young away from Texas and how would they have fared.

Young for President.
Congrats to USC on an awsome Dynasty they put up and will still have.
Congrats to Texas on winning it all. I saw Vincent Young play a year ago agaisnt Kansas. 4 and 17 texas has the ball with 25 seconds down by six. Drops back and runs for the first. next play throws a TD for the win. will never forget it. reminded me of the play he made to win last night.
You can't overlook how good of a game Matt Leinart had.

Leinart, unlike Young, played against a good defense, and Leinart showed why he's the best QB in the nation.

Congrats to Young and Texas, but also to Leinart and USC.

BTW, who else thinks Mack Brown did nothing but watch the Rose Bowl? I've got a feeling Young turned around 1/2 of Brown's calls.
quote:
Originally posted by micdsguy:
You can't overlook how good of a game Matt Leinart had.

Leinart, unlike Young, played against a good defense, and Leinart showed why he's the best QB in the nation.

Congrats to Young and Texas, but also to Leinart and USC.

BTW, who else thinks Mack Brown did nothing but watch the Rose Bowl? I've got a feeling Young turned around 1/2 of Brown's calls.

No question that Matt Lienart is a great quarterback but Young does more with less weapons than Matt. I was disappointed with the less than gracious quotes Matt had to offer after the game but I guess he was being honest even though he came across as somewhat of a sore loser. I think that Matt is the best bet for college quarterbacks going to the NFL but Vince has more upside potential...
Kudos to the game's referees who must have done an adequate job since nobody is talking about them too much. Granted they gave TexaS a touchdown when Vince's knee touched but as critical as that may have been, it seemed inocuous compared to many of the other bowl game's bad calls.

Was this the worst year for refs in bowl games or what? There were so many terrible calls that affected games.

The most obvious bad refs I saw were during the Florida-Iowa game. I feel bad for fans of both teams who were cheated from perhaps seeing the greatest game of all time. It probably wouldn't of been but I guess we'll never know.
SBK,

I was there and still haven't seen the replays of the off side. People tell me the player was not off side. Is that true?

How can that call be made if it did not happen? It's not like blowing a tough call. If you don't see off side... How do you throw the flag?

Anyway, Florida deserved to win the game. They dominated the first 3 quarters. 5o minutes of boredom (for Iowa fans) and 10 minutes of excitement. Too bad about the on side kick being recovered and not counting. That really would have made things even more interesting.
Refs missed two major calls that could have influenced the outcome of the game...to the benefit of Texas.

But what destroyed any chances of USC to win the game was the "read and react" prevent defense that took the "Whew" out of USC's aggressiveness. I did not agree with what I watched, and was very dismayed with the lack of disciplined pursuit angles and pursuit lane management...just shook my head as I watched the fiasco unfold in front of my eyes.

The two 4th and one calls where so Woody-Hayes-like, not West Coast PAC-10 football at all. With such great running backs and receivers to go to a straight dive play wasn't so bad in ideas as was the method used. Formation should have been a Spread-Wide to increase the O-line gaps and give the running back some room to choose a hole.

And even if going to the tight formation I would have used a 300 lb O-guard as the lead blocker to run a "Slam or Blast" out of the "I".

My thought was they would go with a naked bootleg with sprint-out option pass-run.

I think USC just went to conservative...you know the old saying, no-guts-no-glory.

USC lost their guts, and then lost the game.
Last edited by Ramrod
quote:
..But the biggest disappointment of the year for me is knowing that my beloved Hokies haven't sent Marcus Vick packing. His thuggish act was one of the lowest nastiest cheapshots I've ever seen, and ruined what should have been a sweet bowl victory. No class, no character. Head coaches should deal with all of the trash talking and preening once and for all. You don't see that nonsense in D-III, D-II, or even D-IAA. Appalling, simply appalling.

I hear he's packing as we speak! Roll Eyes Permanently dismissed from the team!
Last edited by FrankF
Congratulations to the University of Texas. Class act, class team, amazing effort and Vince Young, what can you say about one of the greatest performances in sports.

As for my Trojans, one heck of a run. Several things I think they did horribly wrong in that game, but noidea. Well, just to get it off my chest and be overly picky Big Grin -

In general, USC came in expecting to win and the 'Horns came in playing to win. SC unfortunately believed its own hype.

Horrible clock management during the game on offense by SC. At least 2 delay penalties. Typical poor 1st half performance. Very poor play calling on offense at various times. Me thinks this game showed how much they miss Norm Chow.

A few specifics:

1st qtr on the 4th down play-they were apparently unaware of how much they actually had to gain. They line up in a no backfield formation. Who didn't know Leinart was going to run the sneak. Bush was in the slot, not even spread out to spread out the UT defense. Worse yet IMO, why not a field goal at this point. Then you're up 10 so UT needs to score twice.

Then the big one-Bush laterals the ball after the huge gain on the swing pass, crossing the Texas 20, his team heading in to go up 14-0. And with no disrespect to the young man he was tossing it to, but he's a walk on with virtually no game experience (can't begin to understand why he was in the game). Bush's play was just that-absolutely bush league, playground, grab a** nonsense, selfish glory all move.

Leinart's intercepted pass at the goal line in the second half had no zip and the receiver never came back to the ball.

4th qtr 4th down play. Who one earth didn't know that was going to White. Meanwhile Bush is on the sideline and bottomline, you are the two time defending national champion, with two Heisman winners on your team and you can't make one yard. pull_hair

Defensively, USC had no plan. the only times they were successful was when they had their "speed" unit, with 3 downlinmen and the Ting brothers in the backfield. Only with that scheme did they slow down Young and force him to give the ball to someone else. But Carroll used that scheme sparingly for whatever reason. His alternative was to have the safety, Darnell Bing, shadow Young every where. Made no real attempt at that and basically just conceded to let Young have his day. May have worked as SC held Texas to 10 points under their average. Trouble was SC flushed about 21 first half points down the toilet. Again, a horrible first half team - have been throughout the Carroll era.

But, again, great run over the past three years, great kids and they'll certainly be back at the forefront next year. Fight on.
RR

USC has gone for it on 4th down all year long-- Texas did it on their first possession as well-- I like the fact that both coaches played to win not to avert losing

For a game you saw as a "fiasco" isnt it funny the final score was not decided until the final gun

Footnote: being Woody Hayes like is not a bad thing--he is one of the greatest college football coaches of all time.

I simply tip my hat to both programs for one of the "funnest" games I have ever watched on the college level.
quote:
Originally posted by Ramrod:
Refs missed two major calls that could have influenced the outcome of the game...to the benefit of Texas.

But what destroyed any chances of USC to win the game was the "read and react" prevent defense that took the "Whew" out of USC's aggressiveness. I did not agree with what I watched, and was very dismayed with the lack of disciplined pursuit angles and pursuit lane management...just shook my head as I watched the fiasco unfold in front of my eyes.

The two 4th and one calls where so Woody-Hayes-like, not West Coast PAC-10 football at all. With such great running backs and receivers to go to a straight dive play wasn't so bad in ideas as was the method used. Formation should have been a Spread-Wide to increase the O-line gaps and give the running back some room to choose a hole.

And even if going to the tight formation I would have used a 300 lb O-guard as the lead blocker to run a "Slam or Blast" out of the "I".

My thought was they would go with a naked bootleg with sprint-out option pass-run.

I think USC just went to conservative...you know the old saying, no-guts-no-glory.

USC lost their guts, and then lost the game.

To me the biggest missed call was the interception that denide Texas a chance to blow out USC in the first half
quote:
Originally posted by darkmoon:
No question that Matt Lienart is a great quarterback but Young does more with less weapons than Matt.

I'm not sure that's true. Vince has a good arm, not as good as Leinart's, but Vince also has good legs, while Leinart wears a leg brace and runs an 8.5, 40(sarcasm).
And the Texas team isn't a bunch of slouches, and I know you didn't mean it that way, but Texas has some good recievers, too. But the fact that Young ran for 200 yards in the Rose Bowl shows you that he has two great weapons in himself, whereas Leinart has one.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.