Good Counsel
DeMatha
St. John's
O'Connell

Gonzaga
McNamara
SMR
BI

I don't see how anyone will beat PVI this year. Pitching will be off the charts, batting order very good to great 1 through 9 (or 12 oe 14 for that matter), and 20 kids with varsity experience. How do you beat that? Yes, PVI will manage to lose a game here or there, but they will win the WCAC and VISAA again.

Good Counsel is going to be very good, as well, but does not have the top level pitching that PVI has nor the depth at pitching that PVI does.

DeMatha and St. John's are ALWAYS very good to great. Yes, one of them may have the talent to beat PVI, but I am banking on PVI winning it all.

O'Connell is an unknown at this point. Lost two top quality, Div I level talents. Pitching?

McNamara will continue to improve (I am assuming the coaches are all back). SMR and BI will both struggle. Coach Gallagher will get the most out of his players, and that will allow them to compete when they are really on. But I don't know where their pitching will come from. They lost something like 7 or 8 starters.

So, PVI, GC, DM, and StJ will all be back at the top, as usual.
The Costello-McGee one-two punch at PVI will be tough to beat. They can rely on other pitchers to beat the less competitive teams, and save Costello and McGee for DeMatha, GC, and St. John's.

I think Good Counsel is going to be awfully good. They might well average 8 runs per game or more. That lineup is going to be powerful.

St John's has several Div I signees, and they are reloaded, so expect them to be at the top, too.

DeMatha carries about 30 guys, and it is hard to keep track of which ones will step up in any given year, but I am sure they will have 15 core players that will be capable of winning any game and winning the championship.

Those four would seem to be almost automatics to compete for the title.
gamefan: I understand that St. John's has several Div I commits. Do you have the names and the schools to which they have committed? I understand that a junior SS is already committed to a Div I school--is that correct?

Tyler Costello at PVI is committed to Radford. Eric McGee, last I heard, was looking at several major Div I programs but had not yet decided. Lansing Veeder seems to have had alot of interest for the last two years (only a junior this year). I have heard rumors that UNC and several other programs are interested in Matt Kianka--have no idea if this is true.

The big boy who murders the ball for Good Counsel--Jake Taylor--surely he is a lock to play for a major Div I school. If WCAC pitchers pitch to him this spring, he will have 15 HRs.

Anyone have any updates on St. John's new baseball field and clubhouse? Will it be used this spring for WCAC games?
RHOBBS
Please see the list of early NLI signees.This a list of MD players and their home counties.There are a number of WCAC players on the list.This should answer your question about SJC and GC players.

Posted December 19, 2009 09:19 AM Hide Post
Anne Arundel County
Kyle Convissar INF Severna Park- Maryland
Dominic Fratantuono OF , Gibbons, Towson
Alex Ramsey C, Severna Park, Maryland

Harford County /Baltimore County
Bradley Markey, MIF/RHP, CM Wright, Georgia Tech
Troy Marrow, MIF/3B, Loyola Blakefield, NC Central
Ryan Welling, , C, Calvert Hall, LaSalle
Ryan Swearingen Calvert Hall , Lasalle
Jeff Trimmer Calvert Hall, Fordam
Chris Fusco Key School , Bates

Howard County
Chris Acker RHP/INF, Atholton - Towson
Alec Baum RHP Centennial-, LaSalle
Sam Beatty RHP/Hammond - Shepherd University
Travis Clark RHP/3B Hammond -,University of South Carolina -Aiken.
Michael Draper, MIF/OF, Mount St. Joe's, Towson
Kevin Kratochwill, INF Marriotts Ridge- St Joseph
Nick Marinelli 2B/SS Marriots Ridge HS, Washington College
Kyle Porter OF Good Counsel ,Gulf Coast CC (FL)
Mitchell Smith, OF/1B/LHP Marriotts Ridge, UNC – Ashville
Jake Taylor 1B Good Counsel –Radford
Danny Wissmann , LHP Hammond HS , University of South Carolina -Aiken.
Rod Wotring C Howard HS, Lebanon Valley College

Montgomery County
Chris Betts OF Damascus –Niagara
Charles Flowers OF St.Johns- Citadel
Drew Farber C St.Johns –UNC Wilmington
Brandon Grove INF Good Counsel –UNC Greensboro
Matt Kohn OF Good Counsel Johns Hopkins University
Ryan McGuigan SS Damascus- Long Island
Blake Overmiller C Magruder- Pittsburgh
Kyle Riffe 3B/P, DeMatha, US Naval Academy
Kyle Kirsch C, St. Johns, Delaware
Tommy Cunningham, , INF/RHP, JH Blake, Indiana
Robert Tatum P, Georgetown Prep, Lafayette

Frederick /Washington County
Bradley Banzhoff RHP Clear Springs –Davis and Elkins
Brandon Glazer INF/RHP Clear Springs-College OF Charleston
Christian Wright RHP Urbana-Davis and Elkins
Collin Mills, , RHP, FSK, West Virginia

Southern Maryland
Mike Bowie RHP St.Johns –George Mason
Chris Gaines INF Huntingtown -USC Aiken
Tyler Peed RHP Calvert- USC Aiken
Spencer Wolfe RHP/C Huntingtown -USC-Aiken
NLI signees from SJC:
Drew Farber-UNC Wilmington
Mike Bowie-George Mason
Charles Flowers-The Citadel
Kyle Kirsch-Delaware

Nick Howard 2011-Virginia(committed)

Jake Taylor from Good Counsel has signed with Radford, also Brandon Grove from GC has signed with UNC-Greensboro.

SJC's field is complete, also new dugouts, bullpens, and batting cage. Check out their website if you want to see pics.

The clubhouse will be started after the 2010 season.
justakid/roy: I just read both this thread and the other on on 17U travel teams in NoVa. Palma must be something to have hit 9 HRs and .500+ as a frosh. Those numbers are senior year, Div I player numbers (given the league Fairfax HS plays in). As for FH, I asked the same question--did he transfer to FH (I am assuming Flint Hill) for baseball? And, if so, did he look at PVI (half the price and, I believe, better baseball and post-HS opportunity--Emerson is connected)?

Alex Gregory murdered the ball. He still must, or at least the Mets seem to think he can.
Bear--Will try to see both of those games. Should be great.

And good for Loyola for scheduling these three teams. I hope they get those games in (the nonconference will probably the first to not be made up if snow/rain becomes an issue).

Just a side note--I realize PVI was not at its best when they played Calvert Hall last year, but Calvert Hall mercied them with Tyler Costello pitching for PVI. PVI was not even in the same class on that particular day (though they greatly improved throughout the rest of the year).

Should have more of these sorts of matchups.
Yes, Radford is a good program and yes, PVI has done well there. Alex Gregory, arguably the best player ever to play at PVI (though some might argue Peter Verdin is right there at that level), led the way to Radford. I think Rob Lamas and another player from that same time frame went to Radford, as well. Tyler Costello, PVI's ace is committed, and Tyler's older brother, also a PVI grad, transferred from Delaware to Radford and they will be able to play together next year. Academically, Radford is considered a lower tier Virginia State university over all, but this is misleading, because if you are interested in one of several majors, it can be a great school.
Agree, Roy, that Radford can be a great school for alot of kids. It sort of points out why we have a range of educational choices, from trade schools to Oxford/Cambridge.

The weather seems to be cooperating for getting the season off about on time (rain is supposed to end today, followed by a string of sunny days with warming temperatures). PVI scrimmages McLean on Monday at PVI. I think that will be played on a field in pretty good condition, or could be moved to Waters Field while PVI's field continues to dry out. When do St. John's, DeMatha, BI, Good Counsel, Gonzaga, etc. all kick off the season?

I am still looking for PVI to be the regular season winner of the WCAC, due primarily to very deep pitching. I am also still convinced that St. John's, DeMatha, or Good Counsel could win the tournament. I have heard very positive views about O'Connell being a contender, as well. Gonzaga lost Carroll to Oakton (curious, since Gonzaga's coaches had bent over backwards for him, starting him as a freshman when much better upperclassmen were relegated to 2B, 3B, or the bench). Don't know if Gonzaga has the talent to contend. BI, SMR, and McNamara look to be near the bottom, but you never know with these teams. In 2008, BI beat nationally ranked PVI TWICE!

Over/under on Jake Taylor's HR total is 12.
quote:
Originally posted by dub-L-play:
quote:
Did not know his dad was that level a baseball coach.

He is the Coach of the Stars -

It might be me, but at some point, you gotta let someone other than Dad do your bidding. This kid has always had Dad influence his coaches and if that did not work, Dad becomes the Coach. We will see what College Coaches think of it.

I'll tell you what alot of college coaches might think..."the kid comes from good pedigree"...Carroll starred in D1 baseball, spent 5-6 years in the minors. He retired from his profession and wanted to coach...lives in Oakton school district...and is a very good coach...coaches the JV...both his boys will be on the Varsity and it is natural for them to want to be in the same program.

It is my understanding that Carroll oversees the Stars program and is not coaching one team this year.
quote:
"the kid comes from good pedigree

Proof in the playing, not the pedigree. Saw one of the boys play at Gonzaga and I agree with Issac, saw the other play in summer, and perhaps the kid is just not into it.

Maybe they have improved, but rest assured a College Coach doesn't care if Dad played 40 yrs ago, if the kid doesn't live up to the hype.
quote:
Originally posted by dub-L-play:
quote:
"the kid comes from good pedigree

Proof in the playing, not the pedigree. Saw one of the boys play at Gonzaga and I agree with Issac, saw the other play in summer, and perhaps the kid is just not into it.

Maybe they have improved, but rest assured a College Coach doesn't care if Dad played 40 yrs ago, if the kid doesn't live up to the hype.

I am well aware that the proof is in the playing, but I am also well aware that most will recognize the "apple doesn't always fall far from the tree" theory. Having been well schooled since they put on gloves is not a bad thing.

Also, Chad seems to be a good kid and not interested in the "hype". I have no dog in this fight...
quote:
Originally posted by golfball:
quote:
It is my understanding that Carroll oversees the Stars program and is not coaching one team this year.

Carson Carroll is coaching the 17U Stars this year.

The last I heard, when they announced the rosters, is that Rob Hahne was running the 17U team...but you may have more info then I. Hahne coached the 15U last year. I can tell you for a fact Hahne announced he was coaching the older team at the Stars' tryout camps. Maybe things have changed.
Dblemup - For someone who has no dog in the fight, you seem to have more than enough info on the Carroll family. Nobody doubts that the kid is a good kid and if he is as fast as it is posted, he should be in the OF. My original post was more about the dad still being heavily involved at the HS level. I really don't care since the kid is no longer at Gonzaga. I will keep an eye out for both this summer, I am guessing both will be in the MI.
quote:
The last I heard, when they announced the rosters, is that Rob Hahne was running the 17U team...but you may have more info then I. Hahne coached the 15U last year. I can tell you for a fact Hahne announced he was coaching the older team at the Stars' tryout camps. Maybe things have changed.

The last I heard, the Stars will have one team at the 17U age group and Carson is the coach. We got a team information email a couple of weeks ago and it came from Carson. Maybe they are going to add another team.
Good Counsel will be powerful offensively. May not have the pitching depth to win the regular season, but anything goes in the single elimination tournament (which will be AFTER the VISAA State Championships, which, I would guess, PVI will win).

Some are very high on O'Connell this year. Seems to me they lost some awfully good players to be that good this year, but we'll see.

I don't see Gonzaga at the top--not this year--maybe in a few.

BI, SMR, and McNamara will try to reach to the middle, but will probably not get there.
quote:
Originally posted by dblemup:
quote:
Originally posted by golfball:
quote:

Carson Carroll is coaching the 17U Stars this year.

Rob Hahne is coaching a group of 18's before they head off for college play. He taught many of these players in year's past during the days he worked with Babe Ruth squads.
quote:
Originally posted by nyyanks27:
Paul VI at Good Counsel Saturday, the 20th, at 1pm
Tyler Costello vs Jake Taylor

Date: Mar 20, 2010 5:40 PM
Subject: Fw: Good Counsel 5, PVI 4 mar 20

At Bottegal Field, the GC Falcons home opener was one forever to be remembered by those in attendance.
Jake Taylor of Good Counsel vs Tyler Costello (both Radford bound) battled through five innings with a tie score at four each. Taylor had four hits off Costello, two homeruns, one in the first and another in the fifth, and a hard hit single in the 3rd, and a seventh inning double into left field. Kevin Doherty bunted JP Purce ,pinch runner,over to third , scoring on a wild pitch by P6 Robbie Kidd for the GC victory.

Good Counsel is 2-0, and now 1-0 in WCAC Conf play.
George Smith (LaSalle), Matt Kohn (Hopkins), TJ Brockaway , Kyle Porter (Tallahassee CC) and Brandon Grove (UNCG), and Zach Stup had six of the Falcons ten game impacting hits.
Last edited by Bear
No panic at PVI, I am sure. Two losses to two top-notch teams. PVI will lose here and there, but the Gonzaga game and McNamara game will get them on a nice roll, and, before you know it, they will be at the top of the WCAC standings. St. John's and PVI are still the teams to beat, but DeMatha is always right there and Good Counsel is also special this year because of Taylor. He bombed PVI pitching last year and PVI won it all. He bombed PVI pitching this year and PVI still might win it all. Taylor is as good a HS hitter as I have seen in a long, long time. He hits not just the average pitcher. He is hitting bombs off the top pitchers the league has to offer. But GC may not have the pitching depth to carry them the whole year. We'll see.
brief but incomplete details from pvi v gonzaga. eric mcgee started for pvi. probably pitched 2 or 3 innings. seemed to have good velocity but worked to find the strike zone. dillon rudnicki hit a 2run HR. mark williams started for gonzaga and pitched through 5 innings. gonzaga was up 7-2, and then good hits by pvi and a series of defensive errors by gonzaga. score was 8-7. new pitchers in for both teams. veeder hit a solo hr. final score, 13-7 pvi.
quote:
Originally posted by Terror123:
Good Counsel and St. John's have shown that they are very good. I think they might the favorite as opposed to PVI and St. John's.

PVI starts 0-2. I am not saying that is the end of the world but when a coaching staff promotes you as one of the top teams in the country then you would expect a better start.

They are a nice club but hardly one of the top teams in the country.
quote:
Originally posted by justakid:
brief but incomplete details from pvi v gonzaga. eric mcgee started for pvi. probably pitched 2 or 3 innings. seemed to have good velocity but worked to find the strike zone. dillon rudnicki hit a 2run HR. mark williams started for gonzaga and pitched through 5 innings. gonzaga was up 7-2, and then good hits by pvi and a series of defensive errors by gonzaga. score was 8-7. new pitchers in for both teams. veeder hit a solo hr. final score, 13-7 pvi.

Some more info...McGee came out in the 2nd with no outs, replaced by a sophomore (don't know name) who pitched 5 innings and Veeder closed the 7th. PVI held Gonzaga scoreless the last 5 innings, while their bats came alive...aided by some walks and a couple of errors.
quote:
but the Gonzaga game and McNamara game will get them on a nice roll, and, before you know it

Is that roll you excepted? PVI is staff is one the best on the area but I still shocked that they promoted a team that has not performed as well as the promoted them too.

Maybe their sch was too hard or maybe their arms aren't ready but it looks bad for the area when you get nationally ranked and cover story written about yo and start 0-2. Now 3-2 but nothing top 50 in the country should be. I think Good Counsel has look the best so far with a quite DeMatha in the background beating a good Calvert Hall. It will be a great playoffs.
quote:
quote:
but the Gonzaga game and McNamara game will get them on a nice roll, and, before you know it

Is that roll you excepted? PVI is staff is one the best on the area but I still shocked that they promoted a team that has not performed as well as the promoted them too.

Maybe their sch was too hard or maybe their arms aren't ready but it looks bad for the area when you get nationally ranked and cover story written about yo and start 0-2. Now 3-2 but nothing top 50 in the country should be. I think Good Counsel has look the best so far with a quite DeMatha in the background beating a good Calvert Hall. It will be a great playoffs.

Get off the preseason rankings. Nobody takes them serious and I doubt PVI does. Doesn't matter what you are ranked in early March, it matters where you finish. It won't be an easy road for any of the WCAC teams. Whoever wins it, will have earned it.
I have now seen a WCAC game for each team, and I have to tell you, I am impressed with the balance in the league this year. I still think PVI, St. John's, DeMatha, and GC are at the top and, because of depth, are a cut above. But you have to give credit to O'Connell for shellacking GC, and to BI for playing DeMatha and PVI essentially even, and to Gonzaga, SMR, and McNamara for being so vastly improved. These latter three teams can, and probably will, beat a top team at least once this year. And O'Connell and Gonzaga and maybe Ireton will get a couple of wins off the top of the league somewhere along the way (season or tournament). The coaches are very good across the board, getting the most out of the players, and the players are tenacious in battling. When McNamara, SMR, and BI are losing to top teams by 1 run, it is a good sign for competitiveness.

Okay, PVI is getting into a groove. Three straight--or is it four? I cannot figure out how O'Connell took down GC, but O'Connell must either be very good or had a really exceptional night. DeMatha obviously can beat anyone. That remains the top. I would encourge you to get out matchups when any of these top four teams square off.

One game of note from last night. It is good to see that BI is getting better after its rough start. They have battled the league's best the last three years and challenged the conventional wisdom. It looked like BI was never going to be able to carry that into this year. When they started out with four losses, three by mercy rule, it appeared they were going to be doormats. Instead, Coach Gallagher has found some great pitching, good defense, and timely, gritty hitting. They lost 4-3 to DeMatha at DeMatha. They lost last night to PVI, at PVI, 5-4, in a game that could easily have gone the other way. PVI eaked out a win as a result of a single BI error (with two outs, that ended up costing them 3 runs). BI got 1 in the 5th and 3 in the 7th. That game could easily have been 4-2, BI. Take away a single E and that is, indeed, how it ends. Yes, PVI won it, but the good news for the competitiveness of the league is that BI is capable of battling. If they get the pitching, they can compete. This is so much better for everyone, PVI, St. John's, DeMatha. . . included, since it forces those teams to compete every night. The same is true with SMR and McNamara. While someone will finish last in the WCAC, there is no doormat this year. That is a good thing.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by justakid:
actually, the OC Good Counsel was the upset. anyone have details on that?

Was not at the game, but heard:

James Essex pitched 5 1/3, 7k
Morabito 4 RBI
GC didn't hit
...and it was really windy Smile))

Atta boy Nick Morabito. Apparently, it wasn't windy when he was up to bat!!
quote:
Originally posted by nyyanks27:
rhobbs....who pitched for PVI vs BI the other night?

Not trying to steal rhobbs' thunder here...but I did get to see most of this one...feel free to add or correct rhobbs...

McGee: 5inn, 1 hit (bunt), 1 run, looked good
Aker (sp): 1 inn, 0 hit, 2K
Ruffin: 1 inn, couple hits, couple BBs, error, 3 runs...not his night, seen him do much better
Last edited by dblemup
nyy27: dblemup is correct. McGee started and threw 4 strong innings. BI had some nice shots, but at people. McGee had his share of Ks. BI did not really threaten him until the 5th. They loaded up the bases with one out. BI #3 hitter Zeigler hit a ground ball up the middle. PVI correctly playing for a DP ground ball so that Veeder, the SS, was right at the bag for a DP. 2 outs, or no one on first, and it is probably a run scoring hit. But not in this situation. McGee escaped serious damage but it was clear he was done. Aker was VERY strong. BI seemed unable to touch him. Ruffin pitched better than the numbers indicated. An error in LF on a routine fly ball got it all started for BI. Once they got something going, they ratched up the heat with solid hitting. Ruffin finally got the final out with two men on. He threw well, kept ball down, but BI's bats were pretty hot in that inning.

McGee, I understand from the PVI folks, is going to Penn State to play. He is sitting at about 85 mph on his fastball but seems to be able to crank it up above that. He is about 6'4" or better, and very strong and solid. Good mechanics, it appears, and seems to have avoided any sort of serious arm problems (unlike Frezza, who, I am told, is out for the year). Penn State will probably have the kid throwing low nineties by spring of 2011. He could become a force with proper work ethic and quality coaching and training.

The Aker kid was impressive. Had to be throwing at least mid-80s. Wicked curveball. Great control. Don't know what his size will end up being--not very big now--but he pitched very well.

Ruffin is big and strong. Unusual delivery but had good control with it. I cannot say why BI hit him so much better than Aker. I think Aker faced 4/5/6. Ruffin faced, if I was counting it right, 7/8/9/1/2/3/4.
quote:
Originally posted by rhobbs:
nyy27: dblemup is correct. McGee started and threw 4 strong innings. BI had some nice shots, but at people. McGee had his share of Ks. BI did not really threaten him until the 5th. They loaded up the bases with one out. BI #3 hitter Zeigler hit a ground ball up the middle. PVI correctly playing for a DP ground ball so that Veeder, the SS, was right at the bag for a DP. 2 outs, or no one on first, and it is probably a run scoring hit. But not in this situation. McGee escaped serious damage but it was clear he was done. Aker was VERY strong. BI seemed unable to touch him. Ruffin pitched better than the numbers indicated. An error in LF on a routine fly ball got it all started for BI. Once they got something going, they ratched up the heat with solid hitting. Ruffin finally got the final out with two men on. He threw well, kept ball down, but BI's bats were pretty hot in that inning.

McGee, I understand from the PVI folks, is going to Penn State to play. He is sitting at about 85 mph on his fastball but seems to be able to crank it up above that. He is about 6'4" or better, and very strong and solid. Good mechanics, it appears, and seems to have avoided any sort of serious arm problems (unlike Frezza, who, I am told, is out for the year). Penn State will probably have the kid throwing low nineties by spring of 2011. He could become a force with proper work ethic and quality coaching and training.

The Aker kid was impressive. Had to be throwing at least mid-80s. Wicked curveball. Great control. Don't know what his size will end up being--not very big now--but he pitched very well.

Ruffin is big and strong. Unusual delivery but had good control with it. I cannot say why BI hit him so much better than Aker. I think Aker faced 4/5/6. Ruffin faced, if I was counting it right, 7/8/9/1/2/3/4.

Nice coverage there rhobbs. The OF error was a killer. The lights are not good at PVI and causes problems for many. It was real nice to see McGee back to form after struggling against Gonzaga. I also heard he was going to PSU, good for him.

Aker is every bit of 6'1", but is pretty slim, roster says 160. One of the parents said he is only 15, so will probably fill out. He seemed to be hitting his spots that night.
Last edited by dblemup
If Kianka comes back hot, and stays hot, PVI will be tough to beat. StJ, DM, and GC can beat them, but few others will be able to do so. Kianka, when hot, is their best hitter. The lineup could be McGuigan, Murakami, Kianka, Veeder, Costello. Those top five are as good, if hot, is as good as the top five from 2008. The rest of the order is somewhat suspect against quality pitching, but PVI can produce a ton of runs up front. And, if they get some bleeders and wounded duck hits from the next 4 or 5 in the order, they will be awfully tough to ebat.

Garner, Aker, Bitto, Kidd. . . and Frezza when healthy--pitching looks good for next year as well.

This team will come back from South Carolina as it did last year--in peak form and ready to contend for the championship.
If those four teams each were to beat up on one another so that each has two or three league losses, they should each still be in the top ten in this area. There is no way that there are 7 or more better teams in the Metro area this year. The current rankings look about right, though I am convinced PVI's pitching depth and experience will result in them competing with St. John's for the regular season title. As for the tournament, any of these four could win it. One, maybe two, may be beaten before the semi-finals. But in the finals, I expect to see two of these four teams.
PVI lost in South Carolina for the first time in many years. PVI usually wins the Southeastern Baseball Classic in undefeated fashion. Not this year. They lost 2-1 with Tyler Costello on the mound. Ahead 1-0 in the 7th, they lost it on a series of errors. Also, clearly not enough hitting. They can still win the tournament if they go undefeated the rest of the way.
quote:
PVI lost in South Carolina for the first time in many years. PVI usually wins the Southeastern Baseball Classic in undefeated fashion. Not this year. They lost 2-1 with Tyler Costello on the mound. Ahead 1-0 in the 7th, they lost it on a series of errors. Also, clearly not enough hitting. They can still win the tournament if they go undefeated the rest of the way.

PVI played TL Hanna from SC...good team...Costello pitched a gem, as did Hanna's pitcher...

PVI wins game 2 against a PA team 6-5...don't all the details...McGee starts, got hit with a line drive and hade to come out...Aker throws 5...Bitto closes...Murakami GW double in the 7th.
quote:
quote:

PVI played TL Hanna from SC...good team...Costello pitched a gem, as did Hanna's pitcher...

PVI wins game 2 against a PA team 6-5...don't all the details...McGee starts, got hit with a line drive and hade to come out...Aker throws 5...Bitto closes...Murakami GW double in the 7th.

PVI beats North Stafford 3-2 in 8. Garner throws 7 very strong innings. Veeder closes and score game winner after doubling to lead off the 8th.

PVI plays host team Hartsville today at 4:30.
St Johns lost twice in the Easter Jesuit tourney.... To Tampa Jesuit 21-4 (wow) and then to St. Pete Catholic 11-8.... Jesuit did win the tourney pretty easily...

This is from the Maryland thread, but thought the WCAC thread could talk about more than just pvi.

What happened to st johns that it suffered so in Florida?

Gonzaga held Tampa Jesuit to 9 runs through 7 innings - with only 5 or 6 earned.
Errors, errors, and more errors for SJC. Jesuit threw their #1 pitcher. A big lefty who has signed with Florida. There were 7 scouts there that night and the pitcher was 90-93. Nick Howard started for SJC and he was 90 on the gun.

SJC got a lot of ground balls but couldn't execute the outs in the 2nd inning. This led to a 15 run inning. SJC got 4 runs off of the Jesuit starter, the most he has given up all year.
Too bad about StJ down in Tampa. PVI lost two of four in South Carolina, a tournament in which they had not lost a game in three or four years. PVI pitching, hitting, and fielding all suspect in this tournament. How did the other WCAC teams come out in their spring break tourneys?

PVI vs. DM this week. Should be a good game, as Costello will pitch for PVI. Who will get start for DM?

BI vs. StJ. Will StJ refocus and make BI pay for StJ's poor performance in FL?

Other games this week?
Okay, what are the details of the Costello injury? Is he out a game? A few? The season? Is it true that Frezza had Tommy John surgery? If Frezza and Costello are both done, that leaves McGee to carry the load with Veeder, Aker, Garner, Ruffin, and Kidd. Is that enough to win the league and/or tournament?

Who hit the ball for PVI last night?

What is up with DeMatha? I was told that McNamara also beat them recently. Is that correct?
re: SJC/BI -- Senior LHP Eric Meleney pitched 6 great innings for SJC, followed by sophomore righty Derek Carter. BI got some nice hits but all 3 runs were the result of errors. SJC bats were pretty much dead until the end. BI played a great game; I don't think they had one error. I think BI's pitcher stayed in the whole game. He did a great job. The whole team looked good. I am surprised their record is so poor.
Ryan Murakami is having a great year. But is he a better hitter than Lansing Veeder? Matt Kianka? Good for Ryan Murakami--I hope he bats .350 and gets to play in college. But Veeder and Kianka are big baseball talents and both are superb hitters. Is Murakami better than them?

Yes, LHPMom, BI was the better team on the field. No errors compared with two for St John's. Both pitchers were great. BI pitcher had nothing left for the 8th. BI must have had no other option at that point. There is not alot of depth there. For seven innings, BI outhit St John's. In the 8th, though, with a tired pitcher serving up pitches like they were sitting on a tee, they killed the ball. Shots were going off the bat like bullets. Would have been very interesting if BI had been able to go to a closer.

One thing I thought was done very poorly on both teams--run bases. Goodness. There had to have been 3 or 4 St John's kids oversliding bases on the turf, and 3 or 4 BI kids not knowing whether they were stealing, only to end up getting thrown out after making a late decision. On two occasions the BI kids were not even close to getting to second base.

That is terrible news at PVI. Very sad. Frezza and Costello are key to PVI being competitive because they lose two of their top three pitchers if those two are out. Also, what sort of pressure does that put on the other arms? Is Costello done for the year, even without surgery? Will he still hit and play 1B? If he has surgery, will he be ready to go at Radford in the fall? Spring?
NYY or isaac: Do you know the stats for Murakami vs. either Veeder or Kianka? Is his avg higher? OBP? Slugging? Anyone have those stats?

Talked to a St John's parent. He told me that the game last night was as if St John's was told to let BI make a game of it, and then were told to shift gears and play like they are capable of playing. He was not trying to show disrespect to BI. He was trying to explain how a team goes 7 innings and produces one run, then produces 3 in the 8th with hit after hit after hit. He said it was like watching two different teams--one that played the first 7 innings and one that played the 8th.
I don't have official stat sheets or anything like that, but having watched games and having talked to alot of PVI people, my guess is that Murakami and Veeder are probably about the same in all categories, from average to slugging to OBP to HRs. Veeder, you have to realize, plays SS and pitches, so he brings such great value to the team. Murakami is a strictly a DH and runner. He does not, unless injuries to other players force it, play in the field.

Kianka, not to make excuses, has had a tough year partly because he suffered an injury and did not play for several games in the early part of the season. He does not seem to have shaken it off. He has a world of potential physically--he now has to put aside the injury and rust and produce.

I do not know the details of the Frezza and Costello injuries, but would welcome anyone with knowledge offering facts about them. This is a big deal not just for those kids and PVI, but for the outcome of the league.
Isaac right on with Veeder vs Murakami stats. No question Veeder is a stud and Murakami is having an excellent year at the plate. No comparison as far as value to the team, with Veeder being one of the 10 best in the league in my opinion.
PVI played the France National team in an exibition last night (PVI won 6-5)........Costello and Frezza both batted. The word is rest both arms and see if things improve. Neither is scheduled for surgery, although likely for Frezza more than Costello. I don't see this impacting Costello at Radford though.......
quote:
The reason I said that also is illegal to play a scrimmage after we start the regular season in the WCAC. At least I thought and not. I know the public schools can play scrimmages but I was once told that was illegal.

I have no idea what the rules are about scrimmages/exhibitions during the season, but if it is/was illegal I am sure someone will pounce on it.

I wasn't there, but I was told PVI players and coaches didn't wear game uniforms, or anything with PVI logos and there were no umpires, so maybe it is "officially" just a goodwill practice with a team from another country.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.