Good Counsel
DeMatha
St. John's
O'Connell

Gonzaga
McNamara
SMR
BI

I don't see how anyone will beat PVI this year. Pitching will be off the charts, batting order very good to great 1 through 9 (or 12 oe 14 for that matter), and 20 kids with varsity experience. How do you beat that? Yes, PVI will manage to lose a game here or there, but they will win the WCAC and VISAA again.

Good Counsel is going to be very good, as well, but does not have the top level pitching that PVI has nor the depth at pitching that PVI does.

DeMatha and St. John's are ALWAYS very good to great. Yes, one of them may have the talent to beat PVI, but I am banking on PVI winning it all.

O'Connell is an unknown at this point. Lost two top quality, Div I level talents. Pitching?

McNamara will continue to improve (I am assuming the coaches are all back). SMR and BI will both struggle. Coach Gallagher will get the most out of his players, and that will allow them to compete when they are really on. But I don't know where their pitching will come from. They lost something like 7 or 8 starters.

So, PVI, GC, DM, and StJ will all be back at the top, as usual.
The Costello-McGee one-two punch at PVI will be tough to beat. They can rely on other pitchers to beat the less competitive teams, and save Costello and McGee for DeMatha, GC, and St. John's.

I think Good Counsel is going to be awfully good. They might well average 8 runs per game or more. That lineup is going to be powerful.

St John's has several Div I signees, and they are reloaded, so expect them to be at the top, too.

DeMatha carries about 30 guys, and it is hard to keep track of which ones will step up in any given year, but I am sure they will have 15 core players that will be capable of winning any game and winning the championship.

Those four would seem to be almost automatics to compete for the title.
gamefan: I understand that St. John's has several Div I commits. Do you have the names and the schools to which they have committed? I understand that a junior SS is already committed to a Div I school--is that correct?

Tyler Costello at PVI is committed to Radford. Eric McGee, last I heard, was looking at several major Div I programs but had not yet decided. Lansing Veeder seems to have had alot of interest for the last two years (only a junior this year). I have heard rumors that UNC and several other programs are interested in Matt Kianka--have no idea if this is true.

The big boy who murders the ball for Good Counsel--Jake Taylor--surely he is a lock to play for a major Div I school. If WCAC pitchers pitch to him this spring, he will have 15 HRs.

Anyone have any updates on St. John's new baseball field and clubhouse? Will it be used this spring for WCAC games?
RHOBBS
Please see the list of early NLI signees.This a list of MD players and their home counties.There are a number of WCAC players on the list.This should answer your question about SJC and GC players.

Posted December 19, 2009 09:19 AM Hide Post
Anne Arundel County
Kyle Convissar INF Severna Park- Maryland
Dominic Fratantuono OF , Gibbons, Towson
Alex Ramsey C, Severna Park, Maryland

Harford County /Baltimore County
Bradley Markey, MIF/RHP, CM Wright, Georgia Tech
Troy Marrow, MIF/3B, Loyola Blakefield, NC Central
Ryan Welling, , C, Calvert Hall, LaSalle
Ryan Swearingen Calvert Hall , Lasalle
Jeff Trimmer Calvert Hall, Fordam
Chris Fusco Key School , Bates

Howard County
Chris Acker RHP/INF, Atholton - Towson
Alec Baum RHP Centennial-, LaSalle
Sam Beatty RHP/Hammond - Shepherd University
Travis Clark RHP/3B Hammond -,University of South Carolina -Aiken.
Michael Draper, MIF/OF, Mount St. Joe's, Towson
Kevin Kratochwill, INF Marriotts Ridge- St Joseph
Nick Marinelli 2B/SS Marriots Ridge HS, Washington College
Kyle Porter OF Good Counsel ,Gulf Coast CC (FL)
Mitchell Smith, OF/1B/LHP Marriotts Ridge, UNC – Ashville
Jake Taylor 1B Good Counsel –Radford
Danny Wissmann , LHP Hammond HS , University of South Carolina -Aiken.
Rod Wotring C Howard HS, Lebanon Valley College

Montgomery County
Chris Betts OF Damascus –Niagara
Charles Flowers OF St.Johns- Citadel
Drew Farber C St.Johns –UNC Wilmington
Brandon Grove INF Good Counsel –UNC Greensboro
Matt Kohn OF Good Counsel Johns Hopkins University
Ryan McGuigan SS Damascus- Long Island
Blake Overmiller C Magruder- Pittsburgh
Kyle Riffe 3B/P, DeMatha, US Naval Academy
Kyle Kirsch C, St. Johns, Delaware
Tommy Cunningham, , INF/RHP, JH Blake, Indiana
Robert Tatum P, Georgetown Prep, Lafayette

Frederick /Washington County
Bradley Banzhoff RHP Clear Springs –Davis and Elkins
Brandon Glazer INF/RHP Clear Springs-College OF Charleston
Christian Wright RHP Urbana-Davis and Elkins
Collin Mills, , RHP, FSK, West Virginia

Southern Maryland
Mike Bowie RHP St.Johns –George Mason
Chris Gaines INF Huntingtown -USC Aiken
Tyler Peed RHP Calvert- USC Aiken
Spencer Wolfe RHP/C Huntingtown -USC-Aiken
NLI signees from SJC:
Drew Farber-UNC Wilmington
Mike Bowie-George Mason
Charles Flowers-The Citadel
Kyle Kirsch-Delaware

Nick Howard 2011-Virginia(committed)

Jake Taylor from Good Counsel has signed with Radford, also Brandon Grove from GC has signed with UNC-Greensboro.

SJC's field is complete, also new dugouts, bullpens, and batting cage. Check out their website if you want to see pics.

The clubhouse will be started after the 2010 season.
justakid/roy: I just read both this thread and the other on on 17U travel teams in NoVa. Palma must be something to have hit 9 HRs and .500+ as a frosh. Those numbers are senior year, Div I player numbers (given the league Fairfax HS plays in). As for FH, I asked the same question--did he transfer to FH (I am assuming Flint Hill) for baseball? And, if so, did he look at PVI (half the price and, I believe, better baseball and post-HS opportunity--Emerson is connected)?

Alex Gregory murdered the ball. He still must, or at least the Mets seem to think he can.
Bear--Will try to see both of those games. Should be great.

And good for Loyola for scheduling these three teams. I hope they get those games in (the nonconference will probably the first to not be made up if snow/rain becomes an issue).

Just a side note--I realize PVI was not at its best when they played Calvert Hall last year, but Calvert Hall mercied them with Tyler Costello pitching for PVI. PVI was not even in the same class on that particular day (though they greatly improved throughout the rest of the year).

Should have more of these sorts of matchups.
Yes, Radford is a good program and yes, PVI has done well there. Alex Gregory, arguably the best player ever to play at PVI (though some might argue Peter Verdin is right there at that level), led the way to Radford. I think Rob Lamas and another player from that same time frame went to Radford, as well. Tyler Costello, PVI's ace is committed, and Tyler's older brother, also a PVI grad, transferred from Delaware to Radford and they will be able to play together next year. Academically, Radford is considered a lower tier Virginia State university over all, but this is misleading, because if you are interested in one of several majors, it can be a great school.
Agree, Roy, that Radford can be a great school for alot of kids. It sort of points out why we have a range of educational choices, from trade schools to Oxford/Cambridge.

The weather seems to be cooperating for getting the season off about on time (rain is supposed to end today, followed by a string of sunny days with warming temperatures). PVI scrimmages McLean on Monday at PVI. I think that will be played on a field in pretty good condition, or could be moved to Waters Field while PVI's field continues to dry out. When do St. John's, DeMatha, BI, Good Counsel, Gonzaga, etc. all kick off the season?

I am still looking for PVI to be the regular season winner of the WCAC, due primarily to very deep pitching. I am also still convinced that St. John's, DeMatha, or Good Counsel could win the tournament. I have heard very positive views about O'Connell being a contender, as well. Gonzaga lost Carroll to Oakton (curious, since Gonzaga's coaches had bent over backwards for him, starting him as a freshman when much better upperclassmen were relegated to 2B, 3B, or the bench). Don't know if Gonzaga has the talent to contend. BI, SMR, and McNamara look to be near the bottom, but you never know with these teams. In 2008, BI beat nationally ranked PVI TWICE!

Over/under on Jake Taylor's HR total is 12.
quote:
Originally posted by dub-L-play:
quote:
Did not know his dad was that level a baseball coach.

He is the Coach of the Stars -

It might be me, but at some point, you gotta let someone other than Dad do your bidding. This kid has always had Dad influence his coaches and if that did not work, Dad becomes the Coach. We will see what College Coaches think of it.

I'll tell you what alot of college coaches might think..."the kid comes from good pedigree"...Carroll starred in D1 baseball, spent 5-6 years in the minors. He retired from his profession and wanted to coach...lives in Oakton school district...and is a very good coach...coaches the JV...both his boys will be on the Varsity and it is natural for them to want to be in the same program.

It is my understanding that Carroll oversees the Stars program and is not coaching one team this year.
quote:
"the kid comes from good pedigree

Proof in the playing, not the pedigree. Saw one of the boys play at Gonzaga and I agree with Issac, saw the other play in summer, and perhaps the kid is just not into it.

Maybe they have improved, but rest assured a College Coach doesn't care if Dad played 40 yrs ago, if the kid doesn't live up to the hype.
quote:
Originally posted by dub-L-play:
quote:
"the kid comes from good pedigree

Proof in the playing, not the pedigree. Saw one of the boys play at Gonzaga and I agree with Issac, saw the other play in summer, and perhaps the kid is just not into it.

Maybe they have improved, but rest assured a College Coach doesn't care if Dad played 40 yrs ago, if the kid doesn't live up to the hype.

I am well aware that the proof is in the playing, but I am also well aware that most will recognize the "apple doesn't always fall far from the tree" theory. Having been well schooled since they put on gloves is not a bad thing.

Also, Chad seems to be a good kid and not interested in the "hype". I have no dog in this fight...
quote:
Originally posted by golfball:
quote:
It is my understanding that Carroll oversees the Stars program and is not coaching one team this year.

Carson Carroll is coaching the 17U Stars this year.

The last I heard, when they announced the rosters, is that Rob Hahne was running the 17U team...but you may have more info then I. Hahne coached the 15U last year. I can tell you for a fact Hahne announced he was coaching the older team at the Stars' tryout camps. Maybe things have changed.
Dblemup - For someone who has no dog in the fight, you seem to have more than enough info on the Carroll family. Nobody doubts that the kid is a good kid and if he is as fast as it is posted, he should be in the OF. My original post was more about the dad still being heavily involved at the HS level. I really don't care since the kid is no longer at Gonzaga. I will keep an eye out for both this summer, I am guessing both will be in the MI.
quote:
The last I heard, when they announced the rosters, is that Rob Hahne was running the 17U team...but you may have more info then I. Hahne coached the 15U last year. I can tell you for a fact Hahne announced he was coaching the older team at the Stars' tryout camps. Maybe things have changed.

The last I heard, the Stars will have one team at the 17U age group and Carson is the coach. We got a team information email a couple of weeks ago and it came from Carson. Maybe they are going to add another team.
Good Counsel will be powerful offensively. May not have the pitching depth to win the regular season, but anything goes in the single elimination tournament (which will be AFTER the VISAA State Championships, which, I would guess, PVI will win).

Some are very high on O'Connell this year. Seems to me they lost some awfully good players to be that good this year, but we'll see.

I don't see Gonzaga at the top--not this year--maybe in a few.

BI, SMR, and McNamara will try to reach to the middle, but will probably not get there.
quote:
Originally posted by dblemup:
quote:
Originally posted by golfball:
quote:

Carson Carroll is coaching the 17U Stars this year.

Rob Hahne is coaching a group of 18's before they head off for college play. He taught many of these players in year's past during the days he worked with Babe Ruth squads.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.