Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by bsbl247:
quote:
Originally posted by ILVBB:
My guy had a pretty decent weekend; 6-10, with 2HR's a 2b and 8 rbi's.

However, I am looking forward to his next game. His next hit will be his 200th collegiate hit; which I think is really something to be proud of.

I'd say he had a Pretty Decent weekend! And indeed, 200 hits is something to be very proud of...Congratulations!

200 Hits is a lot to be proud of - may it be a rocket in his next AB!!!
ILVBB,
Congratulations to Evan.
He is having a monster season. The offensive numbers he is putting up are amazing.
His consistency from game to game and AB to AB, to me, is equally impressive.
He obviously is a leader on his very young team, and not just with his bat!
I know a lot of us are hoping he can put that team on his shoulders and have them playing when the Regionals are announced in May!
quote:
Originally posted by ILVBB:
He got his 200th hit tonight; things keep going well. He homered (a grand slam) for the third game in a row; going 3-5 with 6 rbi's tonight.

I think he will remember this evening for some time to come.

Incredible! He will remember this evening for some time, and I'm sure you will too! Congrats!!!
Update.

Some may remember a post I put up six months or so ago. Quick history summary: Sean had some good appearances in the '08 post season CWS run, particularly his relief outing vs ASU, but was pitching through severe bicep tendonitis that entire season. He returned in the fall of the '09 season, his junior year, after taking the summer off to let the tendonitis abate and made significant changes to his mechanics. He was healthy with no more pain. He entered the '09 season as the #2 starter, full of hope for a great Junior season, and thinking of a bright future. But the new mechanics made off-speed control problematic and took a lot of movement off his pitches. That also made him rely on his fastball too much and put him behind in the count too often. Bad combination at the D1 level where he can't overpower hitters just with 90-93 stuff and you need more than a good fastball. After four starts he was moved to the bullpen with only spot appearances later in the season. In the 2nd half of the season he worked hard on significant changes again to his mechanics to get back to a more natural arm action, one that used a lot more core torso and hip torque. That helped his arm find a repeatable, natural slot, plus returned the movement to his pitches. He didn't have a chance to use these changes in '09 as he didn't pitch in the late or post-season.

The mental challenges he had to surmount, releasing of evaporated dreams, trying to figure this out while struggling to perform, focusing on new goals, were just as large as the physical ones. He then went off to summer ball in Chicago for the Crystal Lake Cardinals on a personal mission to hone those changes and prove he could command all his pitches.

So, by the numbers ...

His results in the '09 season when his mechanics were a mess:

24.1 IP, 47 H, 34 R, 30 ER, 22 BB, 20 Ks, .402 OppAvg, 11.10 ERA, ... total Opponent OBP was .548

His results in Chicago

42 IP, 32 H, 10 R, 8 ER, 8 BB, 42 Ks, .213 OppAvg, 1.33 ERA ... Total Opponent OBP was .254 and more importantly a 2.2 strike/ball ratio

Results to date in the '10 Season at Fresno (all in relief)

28.2 IP, 22 H, 11 R, 10 ER, 8 BB, 21 K, .216 OppAvg, 3.14 ERA ... Total Opponent OBP is .283 (best of the staff)

He returned this year with no expectations other than to work hard, support the team any way Coach Batesole determined, and to prove he was worthy of wearing the FS uniform. In his own words, anything beyond that “was in God’s hands”. He returned to Fresno for his Senior year with a personal goal: simply prove to himself that he was capable of pitching to the best hitters at the D1 level regardless of whether that was one inning, twenty, or fifty, and contribute to the team regardless of what role he might be assigned. He accepted that last year’s failure meant there were a lot of guys in front of him that would get the ball first. He knew his status as a Senior meant he had to deliver results today, consistently very good results, as it was no longer about developing potential for the future.

The only thing he placed his trust in was that if he worked hard, put the team first, and performed consistently well, that he could get a fair chance to put those 24 innings from ‘09 firmly in the past and contribute in some material way to the team’s success today. He believed in himself when no one else did. He anchored himself on his faith and spirituality. He released all his fears, freed himself from any thoughts about the past or future, and embraced adversity as an opportunity for personal growth.

I will state publicly and unabashedly that I'm immensely proud of his strength of character, courage, spirituality, and the deep personal commitment he exhibited in embracing and surmounting that challenge. It had to come from within him, no where else. There's lots of other things he could have done besides face this head on and take full ownership of it. To me at least, it’s a demonstration of character that will transcend the role of baseball in his life. I’m constantly amazed at the inner peace he’s achieved in such a high pressure situation, where inner serenity is often the hardest thing to attain yet frequently the key precursor of success. That maturity is really helping him now on the mound as he just walks out there and focuses on his approach to each batter, each pitch, completely unburdened of mental distractions. One more inning on the mound can’t affect that accomplishment or how he’ll carry that lesson on through his life. He doesn't think about what's next, or if he'll have an opportunity to keep playing baseball after this season is concluded. Sure, that's his dream and something he's worked hard towards for many years, but also "in God's hands" in his view. He remains focused on the team first and on deliverying results today, not on tomorrow. Maybe someone will see something they like in the BigFella and take a chance with him. Maybe not. But at a minimum surmounting this challenge is an life accomplishment and a pride he can carry forward even if he never plays another inning. He'll be reminded of this accomplishment every time he looks down at that CWS ring.

I believe regardless of what the final stats say in the books, he'll know he represented the core values of wearing that FS jersey well.
Last edited by pbonesteele
Thank you for sharing such a personal story with all of us. Your son is such a wise person, obviously having come by this wisdom from his parents, and going through adversity.

At the end of the day what more can you ask for? He has a strong sense of self, a deep faith, and confidence that all will turn out well. I keep saying this journey is NOT about the W-L record. It's about the journey itself and what our kids learn from it and what they make of it. As parents we are fortunate to be along for the ride and learn from them. They do make us better people.

Again, thanks for sharing. He's got lots of fans here.
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
This for Coach Merc and his son Mike, senior catcher at University of Maine---Young Mike was just named America East Player of the week---Congratulations

TR - I am sure you won't mind me correcting you on this one. Mike is doing well at High Point while Joe is the catcher up at Maine.

Congrats to Joe, Mike, Coach Merc and family!
The season ended too soon tonight...Hard to believe that it is over. Lost in 12 innings last night with my guy at the plate, bases loaded down 2 runs and he hits a shot that everyone in the stands was sure was gone. Unfortunately for us the ball was about 3 feet from going over and was harmlessly caught and we were done...

We fully expected to win that game and be in the playoffs, we had beat the team 3 out of the 4 times we had faced them. Still a little shocked.

Son will finish out his school and then head up to Fayetteville in a couple weeks to begin the next season, then onto University of Tampa in the Fall.

Best of luck to all the rest of you out there, enjoy every game. The season usually comes to an end before you are ready!
Last edited by floridafan
I know that some folks do not talk about their son's accomplishments. And I know that I am a proud dad that has been guilty of this. I wish I had the ability to show more restraint, and demonstrate greater evidence of humility...

But, I think ClevelandDad created this thread for this reason so I am going to take advantage of it.

Just found out that my son made All Conference 1st Team, and All Conference Player of The Year.

I just had to share that!

Thank you!
quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
I know that some folks do not talk about their son's accomplishments. And I know that I am a proud dad that has been guilty of this. I wish I had the ability to show more restraint, and demonstrate greater evidence of humility...

But, I think ClevelandDad created this thread for this reason so I am going to take advantage of it.

Just found out that my son made All Conference 1st Team, and All Conference Player of The Year.

I just had to share that!

Thank you!

Floridafan is not doing his son justice here. I appreciate his humility but let me put it into perspective what his son accomplished this spring in one of the most (if not the most) competitive JUCO conferences in America. Along with the above awards, here are his stats:

(Reminder that he went into this spring as a JUCO Sophomore as a position player mostly)

Pitching: Ranked 13th in the conference with an astounding ERA of 3.00.

Pitching: Ranked 15th in the conference in K per IP with a 1.19 (42IP/50K)

Individual Hitting: Ranked 3rd in the conference with a .458BA

Homeruns: Ranked 21st in the conference with 9

RBIs: Ranked 2nd in the conference with 69 (2 behind the leader)

On Base %: Ranked 9th in the conference with a .502%

The kid is without a doubt a bonafide player and IMO has a great future in baseball awaiting him.

YGD
Hey fillsfan,

My guy played at Polk State his sophomore year at a JUCO transferring from Daytona State (Mid-State Conference) in his freshman year. He has played 2nd, Short, 3rd, and Pitched.

Polk played in the Suncoast Conference (Florida) along with St. Petersburg and Manatee (now State College of Florida) which are perennial powerhouses. Eric transferred to Polk to be closer to his hitting instructor, and to a school that would let him swing the bat the way he wanted to.

He has signed a LOI with the University of Tampa and will be playing summer ball in Fayetteville with the Swampdogs. We have no idea about the draft, although I know that there are a few teams that have expressed interest. Just trying to enjoy each day as it comes.

Thank you all for your kind words, I feel as though we are part of a baseball family, and as such am excited to share stuff with you. Cyberspace or not, you guys (and gals) are my friends.

I know that there are a lot of other players represented by families here that are having or have had, at least as good a season as my guy.

Congratulations to all of our players as they continue to follow their dream!
quote:

floridafan; Congrats to you and the boy! You CAN be proud and have earned the right to brag here!
I for one, enjoy reading of the successes of all our players. Best of luck at Tampa, a boy on my sons H.S. Team is going there.
It is hard to sum up in a short synopsis.

Freshman year was everything I was warned it would be. Going from playing every inning of every game in high school to pitching very few innings and starting 5 games and coming in as a defensive replacement late in some games took some adjustment.

Exit interview after year it is suggested he work on 1st base over summer, position is open, but don't forget to throw once in awhile.

Come Spring, he is the starting pitcher in two games in Florida, and when they come north he is a weekend starter. As the season progresses he pitches some games well enough to win, some games which with a few breaks he could win, and some games he's just bad. Last weekend of the season, he still does not have a win, but the team has won many of the games he has started. That Saturday, coach has a very short leash, he's pulled early but the team comes back to win. On the phone Sunday he tells me the coach has scheduled a game with a regionally ranked team in hopes of grabbing an at large bid. Son is not tremendously excited, he not satisfied with his body of work for the year, feels like it would have been nice to get that first win under his belt and he does not anticipate getting called on in this new game.

Game day, we take a big lead, but our number one can't hold it. Number two does not last an inning and the coach goes to a senior to try to put the fire out. NO luck, calls on LDE to come in with bases loaded one out. 3-1 ground out puts us down by two. He strikes out the last batter that inning. We score 4 in bottom of 7th he pitches shutout ball and we win and he gets his first college victory.

On the phone he says, "funny how things have a way of working out..."
The Midland College Chaparrals (37-18-1)finished the 2010 regular season as the #3 team in the WJCAC, earning the #2 seed at the Texas D1 NJCAA Region 5 Tournament. The tournament is being played at LaGrave Field, home of the Ft. Worth Cats.

The eight team tournament features the top four teams from the Western Junior College Athletic Conference (WJCAC) and the top four teams from the North Texas Junior College Athletic Conference (NTJCAC, including the 2009 NJCAA National Champions - #1 seed Howard College (44-8).

On Sunday, in GM1, Midland defeated Grayson County 3-2 with a walk-off homerun from (So)Marshall Williams.

GM2, Midland v. Temple is scheduled for 5PM CST and it is being webcast at: Midland Vs. Temple

GED10DaD

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.